Forte (Rather Than Ivory) Is Part of the Problem

Warfish

Specifically in the Red Zone.

No one respects Forte as a red zone RB, least of all Chan Gailey.

Ivory, a pounder, demanded coverage, run-stopping fronts in the Red Zone.  Forte simply doesn't.

Forte is perfectly adequate between the 20's, he's shown that.  But where we're having our biggest problem, in the Red Zone, Forte has been all but useless.  

He's not strong enough to bull his way for 3-5 yards.  He's not a good enough reciever to get open in that close-coverage area.

The loss of this option has been painful.  Fitz has to force passes from the 3-5 yard line that should be easy running TD's.  Instead, Forte gets stuffed, Powell not used (?) and Fitz gets INT'ed or we kick FG's.

This isn't a defense of Fitz, he's the QB and if the playcall is pass, he must do so and do so successfully.  He hasn't.

But the obvious limited nature and weakness of our running game in the Red Zone is TOO obvious.  

Chan could do the whole team a favor and figure out how to get more on the ground in close, because we desperately need it.

Don't let the numbers fool you, Forte's 3 TD's all came vs. Buffalo (where everyone did great).  

Despite all those trips in the Red Zone in the other three games, Forte doesn't have a single rushing or receiving TD to his name.

Either he SI good enough, but is being under or mis-utilized, or he's not the short-field weapon we needed at RB.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I agree our RB situation has been a let down I don't blame the Jets for not matching the Ivory contract with Jax, the guys been injury prone with a lot of mileage while Forte has been able to stay healthy and  more of a productive every down back.  Bilal Powell needs to get more carries and I think the Khiry Robinson injury is understated as I do think he was going to have  fairly big role with this team.  That being said, Macc has shown to overlook the RB position in his first couple of years by signing more veteran type backs to shorter deals and the lack of depth at the position is now starting to show.  I think they need to look at finding  a young RB in the draft next year.  Doesn't have to be in the early rds I think you can find good running backs in the 4th and 5th rds.  

Well I can see the talk of forte but Ivory has been ivory this year, hurt ALL the time.  Our Rb depth is was and has been dreadful for a number of years, relaying on Ridleys and Robinsons of the world never using a pick even a late rounder.

I completely disagree.  Forte has been excellent thus far.  As far as I am concerned; Forte, Enunwa, and Leo Williams are the only players that have shown up each week.  Forte glides like Curtis used to.

The rest have been varying degrees of suck.

Note: O-Line is difficult to evaluate with closer examination of film.

And Ivory's violent running style dictates he is only 100% healthy for about 6 weeks per season.  4 weeks done and he still isn't healthy for his new team.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well I can see the talk of forte but Ivory has been ivory this year, hurt ALL the time.  Our Rb depth is was and has been dreadful for a number of years, relaying on Ridleys and Robinsons of the world never using a pick even a late rounder.

Aye, when I say Ivory, I mean the style, not the player himself.  A short-yardage head-buster.

Forte is invisible in the Red Zone (he's been rather decent between the 20's).  Powell....yeah.

When you see the same thing over and over, in our case not getting in in from close in, you see what we're missing.  And how that pressure is shifted to the guy least able to shoulder it (Fitz).  

Last year we were great in the Red Zone.  This year we're amongst the worst.  What changed?  We lost a bruiser and gained a ballet dancer.

I think we've ran it once in the redzone the last two weeks. Getting to the redzone is a big part of being efficient in it. Forte's been great, especially since he's still able to get yards when the teams are daring Fitz to throw the ball and focusing on just stopping the run.

Also, Ivory was good from like 5 yards out of the endzone. He was never good in a one yard situation, especially last season.

35 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Our entire RB situation is a mess. Worst in the NFL 

No it's not. Drama queen. Forte and Powell are just fine. Sadly,  Khiry Robinson re broke his leg because he was to be the thumper near the goal line. That's the only part that is missing.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

No it's not. Drama queen. Forte and Powell are just fine. Sadly,  Khiry Robinson re broke his leg because he was to be the thumper near the goal line. That's the only pay that is missing.

Yep.  Hence why Seattle was able to bring in CJ Spiller to score a TD on us.  They already have a thumper (Michael) as their current starter.  Spiller provided a complimentary skillset. 

Ivory wouldn't have been the answer because of his health (not to mention his pay).  He's the anti-Frank Gore.  Ivory got 29 yards yesterday in his slow return to the field.  He wouldn't have helped us in the early going of this season. 

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Aye, when I say Ivory, I mean the style, not the player himself.  A short-yardage head-buster.

Forte is invisible in the Red Zone (he's been rather decent between the 20's).  Powell....yeah.

When you see the same thing over and over, in our case not getting in in from close in, you see what we're missing.  And how that pressure is shifted to the guy least able to shoulder it (Fitz).  

By the time Khiry Robinson re - broke his leg, I don't think there were many goal line thumpers available out there. It's unfortunate that the injury happened, but it's still great to have Forte starting. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Decker,Marshall and Enunwa are the only playmakers that we have on offense that are decent maybe Sera-Jenkins added 

Powell isn't carrying the load and Forte is done 

And our current starting QB sucks 

Saying "Forte is done" is so far off base I don't even have a retort.  He has been their best offensive player for 2 out of 4 weeks.

By the time Khiry Robinson re - broke his leg, I don't think they're are many goal line thumper available out there. It's unfortunate that the injury happened, but it's still great to have Forte starting. 

Khiry Robinson LOL he wasn't the answer before he got hurt Macc is a fool without a clue the RB position is a joke on this team just as the TE position prior to signing Sera-Jenkins and the QB position GEEZ 

Starter: Matt Forte

Backups: Bilal Powell

Key stat: Matt Forte’s 2.2 yards after contact per attempt last year was the second-lowest mark of his career.

Matt Forte (added via free agency from Chicago) is on the wrong side of 30, and his injuries a year ago are concerning. Somewhat surprisingly though, his rate stats have been almost identical each of the previous two seasons—he simply wasn’t featured as much in 2015.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Not wrong we have the worst RB group in the NFL 

I don't think we do. I actually think we have one of the best. Both can catch passes out of the backfield very well and can run. But the OP is right. We do need a bruiser. Robinson was supposed to be that but he got hurt

LOL whatever dude facts and stats dont lie. 

But they can be misinterpreted, distorted and used inappropriately to try to prove things that they can't. (Something you seem to be fond of doing at times).  Statistics are used to lie all the time. RB is NOT the Jets problem. QB, OL, TE are what's killing this offense.

But they can be misinterpreted, distorted and used inappropriately to try to prove things that they can't. (Something you seem to be fond of doing at times).  Statistics are used to lie all the time. RB is NOT the Jets problem. QB, OL, TE ate what's killing this offense.

Agree but we havent had a decent RB since Curtis Martin retired 

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

RB has been solid. 

Wrong again

It's not only amazing how often this guy is completely wrong, but also the magnitude of his incorrect assertions continues to impress.  Easily, the most incorrect poster on this site by both frequency and level of incorrectness. Fascinating.

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Khiry Robinson LOL he wasn't the answer before he got hurt Macc is a fool without a clue the RB position is a joke on this team just as the TE position prior to signing Sera-Jenkins and the QB position GEEZ 

You couldn't be more pathetically wrong if you tried.

Starter: Matt Forte

Backups: Bilal Powell

Key stat: Matt Forte’s 2.2 yards after contact per attempt last year was the second-lowest mark of his career.

Matt Forte (added via free agency from Chicago) is on the wrong side of 30, and his injuries a year ago are concerning. Somewhat surprisingly though, his rate stats have been almost identical each of the previous two seasons—he simply wasn’t featured as much in 2015.

Averaging 3.6 yards per game this year. Pretty good

Its like you guys want a superstar at every position.

In this case, all we want is a powerful bruising back that can play at a high level for 16 games +. Because thats a thing.

Get me an average QB. Top 15. No one will whine about the RB in a league where they mean very little. Can you name of the top of your head the leading rusher the last 3 seasons for New England? Green Bay? Denver? 

Archived