Real problems vs. reactionary narratives

Integrity28

4 hours ago, August said:

The Chiefs had a 17-3 lead at halftime their first possession in the 2nd half took up 5 minutes of actual game. The next possession takes up 2 minutes Ware scores a "TD" that gets overturned because  he fumbles out of bounds. The Chiefs next drive takes up 4 minutes they ended up punting. Their next drive the go 3 and out and punt. Their next drive lasts 30 seconds they go 3 and out and punt. Their next drive lasts a minute they go 3 and out and punt. Their 2nd to last possession of the game is 30 seconds, 3 and out and punt. But but but ball control. That sounds like an offense that simply weren't allowed to move the ball or score not "ball control"

So because they were unsuccessful in scoring every time while calling mostly conservative/low-risk plays, that means they weren't trying to score using those same means? It sounds fairly unsurprising to me, as QBs/offenses like that have to convert so many 1st downs to get into scoring range. Doesn't mean teams don't frequently do it by design. Especially if your QB is Alex Smith. Or Chad Pennington.

They were keeping most passes close to the vest, combined with trying to run it. They had difficulty running it for the most part. That doesn't mean they were giving up sure points nor that they were simply unable to move the ball, so much as they may have felt it wasn't worth risking a big play the other way. 

The two minute drive was still with conservative playcalling. Run-short pass-short pass-run. The drive ended after only two minutes due to a fumble not due to trying a downfield aerial attack.

The next drive was not a punt as you say. It was run-run-dumpoff-run-dumpoff-run-dumpoff-run. You say this was a team seriously challenging our secondary. I say this is a conservative offense simply trying to move the ball without risking a turnover.

Oh what's the point. You want to believe they were attacking our defense with everything they have, and we stopped them time and again, you go on believing it.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So because they were unsuccessful in scoring every time while calling mostly conservative/low-risk plays, that means they weren't trying to score using those same means? It sounds fairly unsurprising to me, as QBs/offenses like that have to convert so many 1st downs to get into scoring range. Doesn't mean teams don't frequently do it by design. Especially if your QB is Alex Smith. Or Chad Pennington.

They were keeping most passes close to the vest, combined with trying to run it. They had difficulty running it for the most part. That doesn't mean they were giving up sure points nor that they were simply unable to move the ball, so much as they may have felt it wasn't worth risking a big play the other way. 

The two minute drive was still with conservative playcalling. Run-short pass-short pass-run. The drive ended after only two minutes due to a fumble not due to trying a downfield aerial attack.

The next drive was not a punt as you say. It was run-run-dumpoff-run-dumpoff-run-dumpoff-run. You say this was a team seriously challenging our secondary. I say this is a conservative offense simply trying to move the ball without risking a turnover.

Oh what's the point. You want to believe they were attacking our defense with everything they have, and we stopped them time and again, you go on believing it.

Your point was that the Jets defense did nothing and it was the Chiefs playing a ball control offense. I showed you that they didn't really control the top that much and gave the ball back after quick drives that were unsuccessful. Credit the defense. There was plenty of time for the offense to put up point and help get the Jets back in the game but offense kept turning the ball over. 

5 minutes ago, August said:

Your point was that the Jets defense did nothing and it was the Chiefs playing a ball control offense. I showed you that they didn't really control the top that much and gave the ball back after quick drives that were unsuccessful. Credit the defense. There was plenty of time for the offense to put up point and help get the Jets back in the game but offense kept turning the ball over. 

Holy crap. 

1 minute ago, Big Blocker said:

August is hopeless.

My theory is that either he or @phill1c are an alt account for someone that has been beating this dead horse for months and doesn't want to openly regress... it would have to be someone that thinks his online persona is something to be taken seriously. LOL

34 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

My theory is that either he or @phill1c are an alt account for someone that has been beating this dead horse for months and doesn't want to openly regress... it would have to be someone that thinks his online persona is something to be taken seriously. LOL

I thought the same thing, frankly do every time some newbie Smith Fan shows up. think about it - you decide THIS YEAR to come to a Jet fan message board for the first time to talk about how great Geno Smith is?  Yeah right.

7 minutes ago, August said:

Of course because it doesn't jive with the agenda of blaming the defense (coincidentally all Fitzpatrick fans seems to do this) to minimize Fitzpatrick's struggles. 

Last time I checked, Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a defensive back. He is struggling because he's a journeyman facing a stream of elite playoff teams.

Blaming the defense for allowing other teams to score at-will, failing to sack the quarterback, not generating turnovers, and not giving our offense good field position is a mutually exclusive discussion.  If one feels the silly need to point just one finger at the Jets and say "Ha! This is the reason for our woes!" one points that finger at the defense.  They're supposed to be Top 5.  They are bottom 25.

SAR I

13 minutes ago, August said:

Of course because it doesn't jive with the agenda of blaming the defense (coincidentally all Fitzpatrick fans seems to do this) to minimize Fitzpatrick's struggles. 

More fantasy, everyone, even the fitz supporters know full well he is playing like sh*t and admit it.

The morons know he is playing like sh*t and think our defense is playing well.  Our defense is from lousy to awful but worse than all of that is that 80% of the actual resources of this team have been  poured into the defense.  Our defense has gone past the point of being disappointing to sinking bad.

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Last time I checked, Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a defensive back. He is struggling because he's a journeyman facing a stream of elite playoff teams.

Blaming the defense for allowing other teams to score at-will, failing to sack the quarterback, not generating turnovers, and not giving our offense good field position is a mutually exclusive discussion.  If one feels the silly need to point just one finger at the Jets and say "Ha! This is the reason for our woes!" one points that finger at the defense.  They're supposed to be Top 5.  They are bottom 25.

SAR I

Then why is he playing ? He is a NFL QB who makes millions . Playing and beating playoffs teams is what u have to do win it all it's his job . The excuse that he is journeyman facing elite Defenses is a Joke . This Dude held out all offseason like he was a elite player. Got paid and is now stinking up the joint . If we didn't feel he could win it all then there was no point in bringing him back point blank . But this is just how I feel about it .

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Mods know who the duplicate and alt-accounts are.  Up to them if they want to let them slide.

If so, Nose Cone of the Poop Log may have to make a reappearance....

Not really Warfish.  VPNs are pretty mainstream at this point. I use one all the time by default.

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

Then why is he playing ? He is a NFL QB who makes millions . Playing and beating playoffs teams is what u have to do win it all it's his job . The excuse that he is journeyman facing elite Defenses is a Joke . This Dude held out all offseason like he was a elite player. Got paid and is now stinking up the joint . If we didn't feel he could win it all then there was no point in bringing him back point blank . But this is just how I feel about it .

Tell this to the coaching staff.  And because the Qb is sucking doe snot make our sorry ass defense any better, they are underachieving almost as much as the QB.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Tell this to the coaching staff.  And because the Qb is sucking doe snot make our sorry ass defense any better, they are underachieving almost as much as the QB.

No doubt I agree the Defense has underachieved but they haven't got much help at all this season they have given up many big plays but they have also kept most games to a winnable manner our offense isn't scoring points right now.  10 points is what that defense gave up in KC..

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

The defense has its own issues I'm just calling out people who scapegoats the defense to absolve Fitzpatrick. You want to rip the defense for the stuff you mentioned? Sure. Just don't scapegoat them for Fitzpatrick. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

More fantasy, everyone, even the fitz supporters know full well he is playing like sh*t and admit it.

The morons know he is playing like sh*t and think our defense is playing well.  Our defense is from lousy to awful but worse than all of that is that 80% of the actual resources of this team have been  poured into the defense.  Our defense has gone past the point of being disappointing to sinking bad.

The defense has not been good but they've kept the games close but the offense can't put up enough points. 

6 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Well, how could we not bring him back?  When he was re-signed it was less than 6 months from fans seeing the best quarterback play we've had in New York in decades, he consistently beat the mediocre teams on our schedule, he led big comebacks in December, and beat an elite Patriots team.  These were our biggest wins in 5 years.

Facing the schedule we were facing, you had to bring Fitzpatrick back and see if he could lead us to success again.  He was comfortable in our system and was a better option than anyone on our roster.  And if you take the emotion out of it, he's actually playing pretty well.  He had the Bengals beat and he beat the Bills.  We'd be very happy with 2-2 right now, the only reason we're 1-3 is because our defense couldn't stop Andy Dalton from moving the ball at the 2 minute warning.

As for the money, don't let that cloud your judgement like so many others.  Just because you perceive his holdout as some elite move and the salary he's being paid as at some elite level doesn't mean he's an elite quarterback.

SAR I

6 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

No doubt I agree the Defense has underachieved but they haven't got much help at all this season they have given up many big plays but they have also kept most games to a winnable manner our offense isn't scoring points right now.  10 points is what that defense gave up in KC..

Listen, if you want to bring up the KC game over and over again as your rationale of Fitzpatrick's value this season I'll just bring up the Buffalo game over and over again where he threw 0 interceptions and bailed out a defense that was trying to give the game away to Sammy Watkins fifth string understudy.  It goes both ways.  Ryan Fitzpatrick is neither as bad as the KC game or as good as the Buffalo game.  He is somewhere in the middle.

And this defense you defend, if they stop Cincinnati on that final drive we win.  And if they overpower Seattle's terrible OL and get to their crippled quarterback like they were supposed to instead of getting gashed for massive air strikes we might win that game too. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick has played well enough to get us to 3-1 if the defense lived up to it's billing.  Anyone who watches the games objectively can see this.

SAR I

11 hours ago, August said:

I'm now labeled a Fitzpatrick fan because I'm decidedly unimpressed with our defense?

Sport, you're talking to one of maybe 5 people here that didn't want him re-signed unless it was for true backup money (and even then I was meh on he idea). I think he sucks. I thought he sucked before his recent meltdowns. I think he sucks if his next game has good stats. He's an adequate backup that could keep the season alive if an adequate starter is out with a non-season ending injury.

For the 2016 Jets I think he's useless and re-signing him was pointless other than a PR move for the GM. Had we failed to re-sign him and got out to the same start (or even a 2-2 start), most fans here and otherwise would swear we'd have at least 1-2 more wins if only we'd heeded the wisdom of re-signing this tunnel-visioned, talentless choke artist.

That said, the D is playing like a bunch of overpriced princesses that can usually stop the run. 

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm now labeled a Fitzpatrick fan because I'm decidedly unimpressed with our defense?

Sport, you're talking to one of maybe 5 people here that didn't want him re-signed unless it was for true backup money (and even then I was meh on he idea). I think he sucks. I thought he sucked before his recent meltdowns. I think he sucks if his next game has good stats. He's an adequate backup that could keep the season alive if an adequate starter is out with a non-season ending injury.

For the 2016 Jets I think he's useless and re-signing him was pointless other than a PR move for the GM. Had we failed to re-sign him and got out to the same start (or even a 2-2 start), most fans here and otherwise would swear we'd have at least 1-2 more wins if only we'd heeded the wisdom of re-signing this tunnel-visioned, talentless choke artist.

That said, the D is playing like a bunch of overpriced princesses that can usually stop the run. 

End Thread .

Truer words never spoken.

The team looks lost and helpless: a couple of decent series followed by critical mistakes.

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I wanted to extend him during last season for $8M per.  Even that was grudgingly.  $10M was my absolute max.  Oh well.

I'm not impressed with the D either.  I don't think they are that far away, but it's not like the backend was completely revamped, so I don't get all the miscommunication on the back end.  With the attempted youth infusion at LB, I expected more problems there, but the blown coverages in the secondary?  Our coach is a DB coach.  What the ****?

Real Problems- True it's not just Fitz but I can say he's not helping the cause. 

Jet offense is becoming one dimensional and when the defense knows Fitz is in a one dimensional passing game he's easy pickins. The O-line continues to get no push and opens no holes....hence no run game. RB can't run if there's a wall of offensive and defensive players all piled up.

The D-Line holds the line, that's about it. The first game had I think 6 sacks but hasn't been that dominant since. 

The secondary seems lost. Blown coverages and burnt CB's with little Safety help. 

Failure to play 3 solid downs. 3rd downs have killed the Jets. They stick well for 2 downs most of the time but continue the struggle on 3rd downs. 

The Jets are last in the NFL in turnover/takeaway ratio. 13 turnovers/ 3 takeaways. There is a lack of any players "making a big play" and getting any momentum. 

Red zone inefficiency. 39%. Ranked 29th. They need to score TD's inside the 20. Not happening.

Coaching seemingly not well prepared and not making good second half adjustments. I really liked Bowles and Chan. The offense seems very predictable and when behind Fitz doesn't have the rifle arm or skills to win it. You must be able to air it out every so often to keep the opposing secondary honest. It's just not there. Bowles is a secondary player and our secondary which is considered veteran IMO is just awful. 

I probably missed a few things but those are some REAL PROBLEMS I'm hoping they fix...and fast.

6 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Real Problems- True it's not just Fitz but I can say he's not helping the cause. 

Jet offense is becoming one dimensional and when the defense knows Fitz is in a one dimensional passing game he's easy pickins. The O-line continues to get no push and opens no holes....hence no run game. RB can't run if there's a wall of offensive and defensive players all piled up.

The D-Line holds the line, that's about it. The first game had I think 6 sacks but hasn't been that dominant since. 

The secondary seems lost. Blown coverages and burnt CB's with little Safety help. 

Failure to play 3 solid downs. 3rd downs have killed the Jets. They stick well for 2 downs most of the time but continue the struggle on 3rd downs. 

The Jets are last in the NFL in turnover/takeaway ratio. 13 turnovers/ 3 takeaways. There is a lack of any players "making a big play" and getting any momentum. 

Red zone inefficiency. 39%. Ranked 29th. They need to score TD's inside the 20. Not happening.

Coaching seemingly not well prepared and not making good second half adjustments. I really liked Bowles and Chan. The offense seems very predictable and when behind Fitz doesn't have the rifle arm or skills to win it. You must be able to air it out every so often to keep the opposing secondary honest. It's just not there. Bowles is a secondary player and our secondary which is considered veteran IMO is just awful. 

I probably missed a few things but those are some REAL PROBLEMS I'm hoping they fix...and fast.

Well said.

I would submit though, that you have to air it out SUCCESSFULLY, to score enough points to win consistently. yeah, it's one thing to keep the defense honest, but unless you actually burn the defense, they won't respect your deep passing game. Why should they? They realize that the likelihood is very slim.

The difference in the Cincy game: Revis getting burned deep.

We just don't score enough easy points: We don't get explosion plays on offense or generate turnovers for scores on defense or get returns for scores.

23 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I wanted to extend him during last season for $8M per.  Even that was grudgingly.  $10M was my absolute max.  Oh well.

I'm not impressed with the D either.  I don't think they are that far away, but it's not like the backend was completely revamped, so I don't get all the miscommunication on the back end.  With the attempted youth infusion at LB, I expected more problems there, but the blown coverages in the secondary?  Our coach is a DB coach.  What the ****?

The reason I felt over $7M was too high (but wouldn't have screamed if the final # was $8M for this yr) is I believe Bowles would waste the season before allowing a real competition/replacement of a healthy player one paid as a starter. Re-sign him for backup $ - even high backup $ - and if/when benched no one raises an eyebrow. Cave in to him for $12M at the last minute as we did, or frankly pay him that at any time after he Bowles "starter" announcement on Jan 4, and the season will be in the toilet before he allows a healthy Fitz to take a seat.

9 picks, not to mention how many fumbles and passes that weren't picked due to dumb luck, and he's still out there as the unquestioned starter? If he's paid backup dollars there's no problem yanking him off the field. In theory it shouldn't matter anyway, but I believe in reality it's a factor when the team foolishly caves in to a guy the HC badly wanted back & pays him like the clear starter. 

Over two offseasons the only player brought in or brought back on a new contract, that one could classify as better than expected, is Carpenter IMO. I leave out Marshall because that was an offer no sane team in our position would refuse. Next-smartest move was in April, offering Brick a pay cut they knew he wouldn't accept (i.e. they cut him) despite significant fan and media pressure to do otherwise. Next smartest was the no-brainer of cutting Percy Harvin after acquiring Marshall: another move so obvious it isn't deserving of much credit either. Big meh on balance, considering the massive amounts spent + draft picks surrendered on so many new players/contracts.

This D is just way worse than advertised. There's real talent there, so it's a massive letdown. There are no excuses like having so few warm bodies in the secondary that freaking Antonio Allen is starting at corner.

The reason I felt over $7M was too high (but wouldn't have screamed if the final # was $8M for this yr) is I believe Bowles would waste the season before allowing a real competition/replacement of a healthy player one paid as a starter. Re-sign him for backup $ - even high backup $ - and if/when benched no one raises an eyebrow. Cave in to him for $12M at the last minute as we did, or frankly pay him that at any time after he Bowles "starter" announcement on Jan 4, and the season will be in the toilet before he allows a healthy Fitz to take a seat.

9 picks, not to mention how many fumbles and passes that weren't picked due to dumb luck, and he's still out there as the unquestioned starter? If he's paid backup dollars there's no problem yanking him off the field. In theory it shouldn't matter anyway, but I believe in reality it's a factor when the team foolishly caves in to a guy the HC badly wanted back & pays him like the clear starter. 

Over two offseasons the only player brought in or brought back on a new contract, that one could classify as better than expected, is Carpenter IMO. I leave out Marshall because that was an offer no sane team in our position would refuse. Next-smartest move was in April, offering Brick a pay cut they knew he wouldn't accept (i.e. they cut him) despite significant fan and media pressure to do otherwise. Next smartest was the no-brainer of cutting Percy Harvin after acquiring Marshall: another move so obvious it isn't deserving of much credit either. Big meh on balance, considering the massive amounts spent + draft picks surrendered on so many new players/contracts.

This D is just way worse than advertised. There's real talent there, so it's a massive letdown. There are no excuses like having so few warm bodies in the secondary that freaking Antonio Allen is starting at corner.

Thanks, it's posts like these that make this forum readable and interesting.

This week, the majority of posts have been so intellectually deficient, some of mine included, that it made me wonder why I was checking in.

Thanks much and a belated happy birthday to you!

On 10/4/2016 at 10:53 AM, Integrity28 said:

I've been swamped with travel and work the past couple weeks. I feel fortunate in that I haven't even been able to watch each of the past 2 games in their entirety. Given how things have gone, it would have been a waste of time and nothing but pure aggravation.

I've been skimming the board, and watching the reactions, over-reactions, and tracking the pulse of how the emotional coaster of rooting this team manifests in narratives about how to fix it. I think there's validity to some, others are completely stupid, and some are centered on the right issue, but so extremely biased or confounded it's hard to take them seriously.

So, with all that said, I think these are the general themes I've picked up on and I'm going to try to present them without bias or slant.

• Real problem #1: Can our GM find a Franchise QB? — MacCagnan has tried to fill the QB room economically, using a 7th rounder to acquire Fitz, then a 1-yr contract to keep him (contrary to many points of view on this site, this is actually an economical approach when compared to other teams spending $12+ mil over several years for other mediocre veteran QBs), a 4th to draft Petty, and a 2nd to draft Hack. Where this concerns me is that the later you pick a QB, the less likely you are to hit—I think I read that somewhere. The concern here is that Mac may not fully grasp the cost of "getting your guy". Rumors were that he wanted to move up for Wentz or Goff. He didn't, and my goal here is not to pose the argument over whether he should have or shouldn't have, but instead to flag the possibility that our otherwise competent GM may just required a "cost of a QB" curve. Since neither Petty or Hack have taken a regular season snap, this is unsubstantiated worry, and not proven fault. We have to hope he's successful with one, or both, of them. 
  • Real problem #1: Our coach is slow to adjust — This seems very real. Whether it is in-game (in terms of not adjusting during half-time to stop the one offensive player that is ripping his defense), or across a series of games (when a veteran is grossly underperforming and needs some bench time to figure sh*t out). I like coach Bowles, and anticipated a curve, but what I didn't anticipate was for him to be this much of a players coach. His reluctance to stand by veteran players while they fail week-in, and week-out, is mind-boggling. It's certainly not something that comes from his Parcells influence. Parcells, who also embedded this mindset into Belicheck, was not afraid to sit a veteran down until he could fix what he was doing wrong. There's no sign at all of Bowles having a "team-first no matter how it may hurt feelings" mindset. Cromartie needed to be sat down last year, Revis this year, and Fitz too. You can't go on month-long losing streaks because you want to be loyal to a guy. You bench them, with the understanding that when they get right, they get their job back. Best players, play. 
  • Real problem #3: When your defense is a joke... — This is the reality. Every single pro-Fitzpatrick advocate had 2 things in common, they plainly admitted how limited he was, and they fully endorsed him as a "hold-the-fort" solution that would allow this team to win on defense. However, The worst corner on the team right now, statistically, is the fat, out-of-shape excuse-making Revis and he's getting paid a fortune. The next biggest investment on D is the defensive line, where we have 3 first round picks and a mid-priced FA veteran rotating. You'd think a DL like this could take over and dictate the tone of a game, but they cannot. Mo Wilk looks like sunk cost. Sheldon looks like a guy trying to make sure he doesn't get hurt so he can avoid the situation Mo Wilk faced last year. Leonard Williams is the best player on this defense, and he has to share time with the other guys... and this doesn't even begin to get into where the real problem is. The secondary is in shambles. Skrine was consider a top-5 slot corner when we signed him, he's now playing outside, a move like this lessens the impact he can have. Revis has become a lazy bum. The safeties are playing slow, out-of-position, and somewhat selfishly. The HC has a background working with secondaries and he doesn't seem able to scheme around the limitations and strengths of these guys.
  • Real problem #4: ...You can't hide a middling QB — Fitz played nearly perfect vs. Buffalo, and in the other 3 games he has looked like the worst QB in football. Problem #4 is a continuation of #3 in reality. This team was constructed to win on defense. The offense is an assembly of economically acquired veterans - from the offensive line, to every skill position. There's a LOT of talent there, but it doesn't matter when the QB is throwing the ball in the dirt, over people's heads, and into the waiting hands of the opponent. Allow 17, score 21, regularly is how they built this thing. Fitz isn't the guy for playing catchup, and the defense (specifically the secondary) is so bad, that it's forcing the issue. If we want a guy that can push the ball down the field, then Petty or Geno, should be on the field. At this point, all past arguments aside, Fitz needs a reality check, not a vote of confidence. Sit him down, let him get right if he's your guy, but damn... put someone on the field that can make us competitive, before the season is flushed. 9 INTs in 2 weeks and a vote of confidence is not fair to every other player on that team, or the fans. Wins are worth more than pride. Forget how much you paid Fitz, it's irrelevant at this point. 

I know a lot of these topics are being thrashed on in several threads each. I don't have the energy or interest to seek out the level-headed fans that understand the problems as they exist in each of those threads, and I've made an effort here to identify problems fairly, so I hope there may be a chance to discuss in isolation without the spin of day-in, day-out looney tunes here.

Dammit man, the Jets carried so much positive momentum into this season... it's astounding how quickly they killed it.

I reiterate.

Archived