Why isnt petty on short term IR?

Joe W. Namath

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Is this another coaching/management gaffe?  If your 3rd string qb cant pick up a football for 5 weeks, shouldnt they have put him on ir and decide if they should bring him back for the 2nd half of the season?

I said this 2 days ago makes no sense that they didn't do this with him if he isn't ready to play by now.

Is this another coaching/management gaffe?  If your 3rd string qb cant pick up a football for 5 weeks, shouldnt they have put him on ir and decide if they should bring him back for the 2nd half of the season?

That's what smart football teams would have done.

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You can only bring one player back. You no longer have to designate that player to return. I agree that there has been massive roster mismanagement throughout the end of last year until now, but if they're keeping 4 QBs, 2 are going to be inactive on Sunday anyway. What difference does it make? The fact they have 4 TEs on this roster is more egregious than not putting Petty on the IR, especially if they expect to use that designation on someone like Devin Smith. 

Part of me wonders if they're taking their time with Petty just so Christian Hackenberg can get some practice reps. They've effectively eliminated the fourth guy in this awkward, four-man quarterback situation. They basically put Petty on injured reserve without putting him on injured reserve.

From Cimini. I completely agree

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Petty could've played for some time now. Bowles called the injury " just a bruise " soon after it occurred. Painfully obvious they don't think much of him

This is football. Just a bruise could be a much different and more significant injury. You don't know what an MRI showed and neither does anyone else speculating. There has been nothing from management or the staff that says they don't think much of the guy. If that were the case he'd be on IR or cut. Your hypothesis is magnificently flawed. 

This is football. Just a bruise could be a much different and more significant injury. You don't know what an MRI showed and neither does anyone else speculating. There has been nothing from management or the staff that says they don't think much of the guy. If that were the case he'd be on IR or cut. Your hypothesis is magnificently flawed. 

Except he is basically on IR right now. With each passing day this is becoming the worst bruise in the history of the NFL

29 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Except he is basically on IR right now. With each passing day this is becoming the worst bruise in the history of the NFL

But he's not. The Jets had a chance to IR him or waive him. They did neither. He's one of two guys under contract next season. He's not going anywhere. He stands now as the best chance for the Jets to have a decent future QB. 

According to cimini he has been throwing for sometime now he is not playing in team drills just position

Which I was glad to hear, plus he is in QB room.

I think petty like many QB get better with reps.  In each of the ps games he seemed to get better with each drive.  I can't wait to see what he does in real game whenever that may be.

18 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You can only bring one player back. You no longer have to designate that player to return. I agree that there has been massive roster mismanagement throughout the end of last year until now, but if they're keeping 4 QBs, 2 are going to be inactive on Sunday anyway. What difference does it make? The fact they have 4 TEs on this roster is more egregious than not putting Petty on the IR, especially if they expect to use that designation on someone like Devin Smith. 

I think that Devin Smith is on the pup list and will be able to return after 8 weeks.  I don't believe that counts against the IR return list.

You can only use the short term on 1 player so you would never use that on a 4th QB.  The other thing is that it would have likely opened the Jets up to an investigation since it was already being suggested by some media who dont really know the rules to stash Petty. You have to prove a major injury that will keep a player out for at least 6 weeks in order to use the IR process.  

3 hours ago, jason423 said:

You can only use the short term on 1 player so you would never use that on a 4th QB.  The other thing is that it would have likely opened the Jets up to an investigation since it was already being suggested by some media who dont really know the rules to stash Petty. You have to prove a major injury that will keep a player out for at least 6 weeks in order to use the IR process.  

I know that was the talk back then, but he was really hurt. His practice record shows it.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yeah except the Jets already have someone they want to bring back. So once again your comment adds nothing.

When will you ban him again boss? Especially after today, if we lose and if he keeps trolling, I might just go off. Ban me now if you want. 

Archived