NFL viewership is down

Jetster

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

When your biggest star is a wide receiver who freaks out weekly and gets smashed by kicking nets + a quarterback who has been suspended for cheating... There is an issue.

The league is lacking likable stars. Plus Thursday Night Football is a waste of time and it gets worse when they add games on Saturdays later in the year. It's too spread out and it makes for some completely uninteresting and borderline unwatchable games like Houston vs. Indianapolis or Carolina vs. Tampa Bay. The league and fans called for more football but now that they have it, nobody is watching it as much. It's a little overkill.

With that said, even though viewership is down.. There is no competitor or riser in the way of other sports. Basketball and hockey have their niche fanbases and baseball will be irrelevant in a decade or two (even more than now). 

I think this is huge factor.  I literally cant watch and wont watch a single NFL show.  Not one.  Because I dont give a **** about OBJ and his whiny ass.  And I'm sick of a known cheater getting blown every second of the day for his "greatness".

Baseball is on the rise.  That sport has more athletes than it ever has before.  This postseason has been 100% more entertaining than any single NFL game that his been played.

And College Football has been nothing but outstanding this year. 

There are a lot of smaller issues drawing off the fanbase this year (e.g. election, good MLB playoff games, great college football season) and some lesser issues creating long term problems (e.g. rise of soccer and hockey, availability of on-demand programming). However, there are two big issues I see cycling against each other that are longer problems for the NFL:

1. There are a few great teams and a lot of bad teams. People don't like watching their team lose and they don't like watching two bad teams play poorly against each other. This has been a growing problem for years as the NFL has tried to draw excitement of higher scoring passing games. Now success is concentrated around teams with great QBs so teams without great passing offenses just don't win. 

2. Fantasy football disconnects people from team associations. The NFL has tried to cash in on fantasy football, which necessarily disconnects people from team affiliations in favor of star player affiliations. People don't need to watch real games. They just need the statistics at the end. People who don't feel a connection to the teams aren't watching as many games (the highlights are all they need) and they certainly aren't watching bad games. If they don't have players in the night games they are unlikely to watch those either. 

#2 cycles back into low viewership in #1 but #1 is going to keep happening as long as the NFL keeps shaping the league towards passing offenses. This is a problem that gets worse as defenses are continuing to be built to stop the pass and games turn into low scoring back and forth games. 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I have no problem with your opinion given that you didn't flip it into people disrespecting the flag or vets. That's just being stupid. 

How do you castigate law enforcement? By taking a knee in order to spread awareness. I mean, spreading awareness shouldn't only work for cancer right?

It is unfortunate that Americans are now split up by neighborhoods though. This is largely why the issues continue. If one isn't from a particular neighborhood or isn't considered to be  part of a class then it shouldn't matter to them?

Spreading awareness of what???  People who FAIL to listen to orders and put the life of those sworn to protect us at risk by failing to listen to said orders are the ones guilty of creating a situation that did Not need to be created...  Follow orders/direction & 99.9% of these incidents WILL disappear...  For the ones who live in such neighborhoods... Those who live glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones.  -_-  

Just now, jetsons said:

Spreading awareness of what???  People who FAIL to listen to orders and put the life of those sworn to protect us at risk by failing to listen to said orders are the ones guilty of creating a situation that did Not need to be created...  Follow orders/direction & 99.9% of these incidents WILL disappear...  For the ones who live in such neighborhoods... Those who live glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones.  -_-  

Next you'll tell me "there's some bad apples". 

YAWN!

23 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Interestingly..I think that viewership is down because of this issue. Right or wrong, thats what I see.

I used to spend about $120 a month at Target.  I havent shopped there in 6 months. They want to allow men in the ladies room?

Ill go to Walmart.

Then I hear on CNBC that Target sales are down about 8 percent in the last year.

A few people matter....

Just now, southparkcpa said:

Interestingly..I think that viewership is down because of this issue. Right or wrong, thats what I see.

I used to spend about $120 a month at Target.  I havent shopped there in 6 months. They want to allow men in the ladies room?

Ill go to Walmart.

Then I hear on CNBC that Target sales are down about 8 percent in the last year.

A few people matter....

I havent shopped at Target since the debit card debacle do miss the MILF's that shop there but the bathroom issue is another reason to spend my money elsewhere. 

Here is the list of fall fests in NJ for sunday for those who choose to not watch football namely the Jets even though they are on Monday night this week 

5-16 — The Chatsworth Cranberry Festival is back in downtown Chatsworth to celebrate New Jersey's cranberry heritagecranfest.org

15-16 — The free Chester Harvest Festival and Chili Competition returns to downtown Chester; ilovechester.com

16 — The Cranford Street Fair & Craft Show in downtown Cranford will have more than 200 artists and vendors from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

16 — A Diwali celebration comes to Exchange Place/Grundy Pier in Jersey City from noon to 6 p.m.; scaofnj.com

16 — The Fall Foliage Float Festival will be at Smithville Park in Eastampton from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Canoes will be launched from the park into Rancocas Creek from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

16 — It's Thompson Park Day in Lincroft from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., with a Strut Your Mutt dog costume contest, wagon rides, pie-eating contest, square dancing, pumpkin painting, scarecrow contest, archery and canoeing; monmouthcountyparks.com

16 — Van Campen Day in Walpack runs from noon to 4 p.m. at the Van Campen Inn on Old Mine Road, with reenactors staging a trip back in time to the mid-18th century; nps.gov

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I havent shopped at Target since the debit card debacle do miss the MILF's that shop there but the bathroom issue is another reason to spend my money elsewhere. 

Here is the list of fall fests in NJ for sunday for those who choose to not watch football namely the Jets even though they are on Monday night this week 

5-16 — The Chatsworth Cranberry Festival is back in downtown Chatsworth to celebrate New Jersey's cranberry heritagecranfest.org

15-16 — The free Chester Harvest Festival and Chili Competition returns to downtown Chester; ilovechester.com

16 — The Cranford Street Fair & Craft Show in downtown Cranford will have more than 200 artists and vendors from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

16 — A Diwali celebration comes to Exchange Place/Grundy Pier in Jersey City from noon to 6 p.m.; scaofnj.com

16 — The Fall Foliage Float Festival will be at Smithville Park in Eastampton from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Canoes will be launched from the park into Rancocas Creek from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

16 — It's Thompson Park Day in Lincroft from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., with a Strut Your Mutt dog costume contest, wagon rides, pie-eating contest, square dancing, pumpkin painting, scarecrow contest, archery and canoeing; monmouthcountyparks.com

16 — Van Campen Day in Walpack runs from noon to 4 p.m. at the Van Campen Inn on Old Mine Road, with reenactors staging a trip back in time to the mid-18th century; nps.gov

Personally..I dont need a list.  I'll play golf. :)

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I think this is huge factor.  I literally cant watch and wont watch a single NFL show.  Not one.  Because I dont give a **** about OBJ and his whiny ass.  And I'm sick of a known cheater getting blown every second of the day for his "greatness".

Baseball is on the rise.  That sport has more athletes than it ever has before.  This postseason has been 100% more entertaining than any single NFL game that his been played.

And College Football has been nothing but outstanding this year. 

Ahhhhhhhhh - as a part of the younger crowd (30 and under)... baseball has a closet niche group of kids that are hardcore baseball fans. The great portion of people my age find the sport to be a snooze fest.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So you're ok with your mom,wife,daughter being in the ladies room and a so called he/she being allowed in there at the same time? 

Tell me, what has happened before this "controversy"? more than likely they were already using that bathroom. Nothing but a dog whistle. 

2 minutes ago, rillo said:

Tell me, what has happened before this "controversy" more than likely they were already using that bathroom. Nothing but a dog whistle. 

Sadly you are wrong we live in a society where everything has to be politically correct shh dont say anything dont stare. 

Me I take my business elsewhere. I dont need any sh*t from Target in my life. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Sadly you are wrong we live in a society where everything has to be politically correct shh dont say anything dont stare. 

Dont you miss Caldors?

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Give me a break, ask anyone who is transgender or whatever the hell and they'll tell you they use whatever bathroom they want before and after this. This isn't some new phenomenon,  chances are your wife or daughter has shared a bathroom with a transgender person, and had no clue. Same with the men's room. 

16 minutes ago, rillo said:

Deplorable.

Sorry some of us dont live our lives with the care free attitudes that most have, have you seen the terror attacks the bombings killing and injuring innocent people all over the world in the least expected places. 

When I was raised there was a Men's room and Ladie's room no in between 

If Target wants to be politically correct that's fine its my choice of whether to not to shop there great thing about this country freedom of choice and I intend to keep it that way 

Archived