Todd Bowles Press Conference 10/14/16

Maxman

New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles, 10.14

On injuries…

David Harris did not practice, (Nick) Mangold, (Darrelle) Revis, (Austin) Seferian-Jenkins, (Braedon) Bowman and (Ryan) Clady were limited.

On Mangold and Revis…

They did a little bit more. I still have to see them do a little bit more, but they did more than they did yesterday.

On Harris’ chances of playing on Monday…

Right now, he hasn’t come out there yet, so, unless he comes out there in the next couple of days, it’ll be slim. He still has a few days to get better.

On replacing Harris…

Between Erin (Henderson), Bruce (Carter) and Darron (Lee), all three will play depending on the package.

On what’s impressed him about Jordan Jenkins…

His maturity as far as picking up schemes and understanding the outside linebacker position. On the day-to-day basis, I’ve been impressed with when he’s come in. Obviously, his length, his arms and his punch. Obviously, setting the edge has been a big thing for us. He just has to continue to work at the other stuff, but so far that’s been impressive.

On what other areas Jenkins needs to improve on…

As far as pass-rush moves, understanding the blocking schemes, running games, those types of deals.

On if Harris participated in individual drills…

He did not practice, no.

On the possible absence of Harris…

You have to roll with the punches. Obviously, he’s a great player and he’s played a long time and he understands the game, but we have to have other guys step up. We have some veterans behind him that have played in this league before, so, we’ll go with that.

On his confidence level in Harris’ possible replacements…

I’m good with those guys.

On what he’s seen from Matt Forté…

We have to open more holes for him. I haven’t noticed anything different in him. He’s still doing everything he needs to do. We have to get him some help.

On whether it’s been more of a blocking issue rather than Forté’s production…

They put a lot in the box. Anytime you’re a running back, you have a lot of reasons why you’re not producing but it’s (not) because you’re not healthy. If a guy misses a block here or there, we can scheme it better, get the ball out a little quicker, but we have to find ways to get him open. Eventually, we have to be able to run the football.

On whether Eric Decker’s absence will lead to more defenders in the box…

Well, they’re in the box anyway, so, it’s hard to tell.

On the team’s travel schedule to Arizona…

We’re leaving tomorrow.

On whether the team will leave Saturday after practice…

Yes.

On whether there will be another practice or walk-through before Monday…

Sunday morning we’ll have a walk-through.

On whether there will be another practice or walk-through on Saturday…

Tomorrow morning we’ll have a walk-through, jog-through practice, yes.

On whether Saturday’s practice will be akin to a Friday practice…

No, today was like a Friday. Tomorrow will be a combination between a Friday and a Saturday walk-through.

On his best Larry Fitzgerald story…

I don’t have any bad ones. Larry is one of those guys, you look up his past and everything else and he comes up squeaky clean, as far as I know. As far as I know, I’m sure (joking). Larry has been nothing but great to me. He’s been great as far as our relationship we had when I was out there. I don’t have one particular story. He’s a very giving person off the field. He’s very respectful, (a) very competitive guy on the field, works at it, works at everything. Larry is intelligent. He and Brandon (Marshall) are similar that way, but I don’t have anything bad to say about Larry.

On what he can share about Bruce Arians…

He’s like my big brother. It went from father-son to uncle-nephew to we’re almost like brothers now. Anything that he can help me with, he does. Anything I can help him with, I do. Obviously, we don’t talk during game week and, really, during the season. Texts here and there but in the offseason we talk quite a bit and we spend a lot of time around each other. He’s a great guy to learn from. I’ve learned from a lot of coaches. He’s another one of those coaches. I can’t say enough about the man.

On when he first met Arians…

1983. My redshirt sophomore year in college.

On how Arizona uses Tyrann Mathieu…

Tyrann can play pretty much any position he wants. If he was big enough, he could play linebacker. He’s a corner, nickel, safety, strong safety, free safety. He’s one of them rare guys that can pretty much play any position.

On the challenges Mathieu presents…

Big-time ball hawk. He has great instincts and great vision. Obviously, you think he’s out of position, he can twist his body and get back in position and make plays.

On Mathieu’s versatility…

It was good to have versatility. You always want versatility on your team. They have a few guys that can do that. (Tony) Jefferson can play a couple of different positions, (Deone) Bucannon can play a couple of different positions. They have a good football team.

On the challenges of playing a game out on the west coast…

There’s not many challenges. You get to play the game. If you get there two days early, I don’t know what the challenges are but you have to play a football game. You get off the plane, you sleep at night, you go play.

On whether the offense has abandoned the run too early in the second half…

We’ve been behind some of the games and some of the games they’re stacking the box. (When) some plays don’t work, you get criticized for the other thing. If things work, you don’t say anything. But we’re 1-4. So we have to find different ways to win.

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

There in the box anyway because of the weak armed Fitzpatrick

This is actually a good catch, and may reflect a bit of bitterness towards Gailey and Fitz, on Bowles behalf... after the report earlier this week that he was now getting involved in the offense. Maybe now that he's sitting in on offensive film review, and meetings, he's like.... yo.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles, 10.14

If only there was a way to punish defenders for being in the box.

Jordan Jenkins is swell!  Oh, we can't play him though because ShelRich is our new old olb.  You see we have an embarrassment of riches.  (Just remove the riches part)

Our weekly 'All the Jets have to do to win this game defense is'  Stop David Johnson, stop the run and stop his screen swing pass game, there fore expect Johnson to run for a buck 50 and to catch 8 passes for another 100 yards.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Well, perhaps if the opposing team had any concern of throwing the ball down the field, especially accurately, they may have to get out of the box.  What do I know though?

Todd Bowles is fat.

I never understand why teams hire fat guys to be head coaches. How can a fat guy possibly motivate a professional athlete?

Who is the last fat head coach to win a Super Bowl? John Madden in like 1972?

Fire this stupid fat son of a bitch. Now.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

My guess is he doesn't know why the defenders are in the box.

8 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I want to hear him say he will never ever make a bonehead /cowardly call and punt under the same exact circumstances as last sun.. If he doesn't say that fire him on the spot.. 

Be ready to be disappointed...again.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

How about calling a timeout when the clock was stopped. 

That was pure bonehead and something Rex Wouldn't even do.. I don't think he would defend that and hopefully learns to never do that again..It's the arrogance of his defense of the punt, telling reporters it was the " right call" at least Rex would realize after the game and admit when he made a horrible decision ..

On the challenges of playing a game out on the west coast…

There’s not many challenges. You get to play the game. If you get there two days early, I don’t know what the challenges are but you have to play a football game. You get off the plane, you sleep at night, you go play.

that's our man todd, lol

54 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

That was pure bonehead and something Rex Wouldn't even do.. I don't think he would defend that and hopefully learns to never do that again..It's the arrogance of his defense of the punt, telling reporters it was the " right call" at least Rex would realize after the game and admit when he made a horrible decision ..

I wish Macc would make the right call and fire his ass!!!!!!

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Todd Bowles is a moron over and over again he says the same things and believes in what he says. 

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

So... you're Todd Bowles?

How do you follow this ^^^^

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I wonder if Todd Bowles watches film sometimes and says, "man, they're in the box again[/]?"

With this?

For shame.

Archived