Bill Cowher--Spelling edit(sorry Bill!!)

whodeawhodat

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He'd have to get some ludicrous offer, like $15M/yr for 5 years, so he's still happy even if it (ok, when) it ends in disaster. And since when is Gruden worth all that anyway? 

They're going to let the Bowles experiment run its course, whenever it is that does end. Then they'll hire some other seriously flawed DC or DB coach. 

I could see Woody going to a  player/manager arrangement w/ Fitzpatrick

10 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Gruden loves every qb.  I remember him talking about how good Tebow would be in the NFL

My point still stands. I was addressing the idea that Gruden wouldn't take the job because of Hackenberg.  If he believes what he says about guys then that wouldn't be the case.

Also, in regards to Tebow, he said that with refinement and the right system in place he can be the ultimate "wildcard" prospect because no one else has the physical skills he has.  No gaurantees about greatness or stardom.  Just that it was possible that he succeeds.  Hindsight is 20/20 but there were plenty saying the same things.  Were they outnumbered by those saying he was destined for failure?  Yeah.  Doesn't mean that he was alone in buying into the hype. 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

My point still stands. I was addressing the idea that Gruden wouldn't take the job because of Hackenberg.  If he believes what he says about guys then that wouldn't be the case.

Also, in regards to Tebow, he said that with refinement and the right system in place he can be the ultimate "wildcard" prospect because no one else has the physical skills he has.  No gaurantees about greatness or stardom.  Just that it was possible that he succeeds.  Hindsight is 20/20 but there were plenty saying the same things.  Were they outnumbered by those saying he was destined for failure?  Yeah.  Doesn't mean that he was alone in buying into the hype. 

Gruden has 0.0 interest in coaching let alone coaching the jets because of Christian Hackenberg

29 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Gruden has 0.0 interest in coaching let alone coaching the jets because of Christian Hackenberg

I'm not disagreeing with his interest in coaching in general. I was saying that, for Gruden, the QB who will be on the roster wouldn't affect his decision if he comes back.  Especially if he is to be believed and he does actually like a player.  You're reading a little too much into what I'm saying.

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Totally agree. While the odds are likely greater for Gruden than Cowher, since he didn't coach for nearly as long and is more likely to feel an itch to scratch, I don't see either giving up their cushy TV jobs for a thankless gig with the Jets to soil their intact reputations. 

Not only that, but if Gruden went back to coaching he wouldn't be doing Monday Night Football anymore and I'm not sure I can handle that.

20 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Gruden, for the record, has a very odd and unconventional love for Hack.  That said, I doubt he leaves his broadcast job.  He's the less crazy version of Jim Harbaugh and is basically the only Coach I'd be ok with firing Bowles for.

i think i'd go for gruden.  his raider and tampa teams did very well and they won without really great qb's.

9 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i think i'd go for gruden.  his raider and tampa teams did very well and they won without really great qb's.

I would absolutely be all in for Gruden but I don't think he'd have any interest in the Jets.  As others have said, he has a cushy job making a lot of money without doing "heavy lifting".  He gets to hand out his "Gruden Grinder" awards and then he has free time the rest of the week.  Plus he can likely keep that job for many years.  I can't imagine him giving that up for a "non-marquee" franchise like the Jets.

17 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

True, but it's not far fetched for someone to say that in case he didn't get the deal he wanted. "I didn't want to coach again anyway."

Despite that claim, he's surely received informal feeler offers. 

I don't see what's in it for him. Odds are he'll never win another ring anyway, he doesn't (or shouldn't) need the difference in $ over his commentator job, and all week long all year around he has his whole life to live with no stress.

Yeah, I actually think you are correct.  Didnt realize that Gruden was pulling in $6.5M per year to be a talking head. Doubt Cowher pulls in half that as he doesnt have his own sets like QB Club or whatever that sh*t is and isnt on monday night.

Honestly, if you are a top coach like Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden. Why would you come to the Jets? Now of course the obvious answer is for the money. But both of these guys have nice jobs that don’t require year round work. And either one of them could have their pick of what coaching job they would want to come back to. They don't need a job. Why would they pick the Jets? They’d have to be blown away financially to do it IMO.

If you bring in a Cowher or Gruden or even a Coughlin that means Bowles is gone and probably the GM as well (cause they are probably gonna want their own guy). So now the Jets have fired 2 Head Coaches and 2 GM’s in the span of 3 seasons. That shows no stability. Coaches like that are gonna want time to rebuild the organization. And if in year 2 we aren’t a top team you know our fans will be booing them out of the building, the media will be speculating if the game has passed them by, etc.

I would think coaches like that would be waiting to come back to the perfect opportunity. Not one where a team is expected to deliver immediate results. But money is the biggest factor at the end of the day I guess.

Prediction- If the Jets fire Bowles after the season we aren’t getting a big name coach. We’ll be looking at the new hottest coordinators on the market. I can’t see Cowher or Gruden coming here. Maybe Coughlin if he really wants to still coach.

On 11/15/2016 at 10:08 AM, drdetroit said:

Cowher might actually be a possibility if he wanted to coach again but he doesn't.  Ditto for Gruden they are burned out and just want to live in retirement calling games on TV 

Honestly, why would they?

All they can do is hurt their legacy.  They have great TV jobs working half the year for 7 figures.  Why give that up for 80 hour work weeks?

On 11/15/2016 at 11:01 AM, whodeawhodat said:

With everyone throwing out names of HCs for next year in the event that Bowles is fired.  The top of my list goes to Bill Cower.  I thought for sure he was waiting for the GMEN HC vacancy to open up but when that came and went, he is still available.  

For the record, I think Bowles has another year minimum but if we were to make a change, Cower takes it.

Long live the chin!

Yeah and tonight I got a date with Kate Hudson.

On 11/16/2016 at 8:11 AM, whodeawhodat said:

Yeah, I actually think you are correct.  Didnt realize that Gruden was pulling in $6.5M per year to be a talking head. Doubt Cowher pulls in half that as he doesnt have his own sets like QB Club or whatever that sh*t is and isnt on monday night.

Even if Cowher makes 1 million, so what?

He's older, his kids are out of school.  He can work 5-6 months a year, he can still do TV commercials, he is still beloved in Pitt.  I really can't see that guy hurting for money, or saying, "If I was working 80 hours a week but making more cash, my life would be better"

11 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Honestly, if you are a top coach like Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden. Why would you come to the Jets? Now of course the obvious answer is for the money. But both of these guys have nice jobs that don’t require year round work. And either one of them could have their pick of what coaching job they would want to come back to. They don't need a job. Why would they pick the Jets? They’d have to be blown away financially to do it IMO.

If you bring in a Cowher or Gruden or even a Coughlin that means Bowles is gone and probably the GM as well (cause they are probably gonna want their own guy). So now the Jets have fired 2 Head Coaches and 2 GM’s in the span of 3 seasons. That shows no stability. Coaches like that are gonna want time to rebuild the organization. And if in year 2 we aren’t a top team you know our fans will be booing them out of the building, the media will be speculating if the game has passed them by, etc.

I would think coaches like that would be waiting to come back to the perfect opportunity. Not one where a team is expected to deliver immediate results. But money is the biggest factor at the end of the day I guess.

Prediction- If the Jets fire Bowles after the season we aren’t getting a big name coach. We’ll be looking at the new hottest coordinators on the market. I can’t see Cowher or Gruden coming here. Maybe Coughlin if he really wants to still coach.

I agree. Neither Cowher or Gruden would come to work for Woody Johnson for any amount of money. They are well respected as coaches and coming here would only diminish that. Josh McDaniels might be an option. Mike Shanahan might take it on also. I seriously doubt that Woody Johnson is going to fire Bowles unless something really bad happens like a team revolt. If Bowles continues to play Fitzpatrick he will certainly have a fan revolt, but Woody is slow to listen to the fans.

Archived