Mock Drafts Show Experts Already Split on Jets Choice

JetNation

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

That stat is BS.

They get out in front & everyone abandons the running game. Just go back & look at the scores at halftime for them this year. The Jets are the only team this year to hold them scoreless in the 1st quarter.

11th in YPC, not YPG.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We do need a CB or maybe more then one no disputing it, it still sickens me that we will probably draft one in the the 1st round. 

No doubt that will be the pick we desperately need the best one available.

• Marlon Humphrey**, CB, Alabama. Height: 6-1. ... 
  • Adoree' Jackson*, CB, USC. Height: 5-11. ... 
  • Marshon Lattimore**, CB, Ohio State. Height: 6-0. ... 
  • Jalen Tabor*, CB, Florida. Height: 6-0. ... 
  • Desmond King, CB, Iowa. Height: 5-11. ... 
  • Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson. Height: 6-1. ... 
  • Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU. ... 
  • Sidney Jones*, CB, Washington.

Every year is the same thing.  The early mocks undervalue QBs and OL, and every year the first picks are QBs and OL, particularly OT.  Remember that Brandon Scherf got picked before Leonard Williams.

From what I understand, the tackles picked this year (Conklin, Taylor Decker) are playing well and would be welcomed on the Jets with open arms.

The odds of a top rated Big 10 T from Wisconsin not being a functional NFL tackle and not being a top half 1st round pick are both VERY LOW.

Obviously QB should be in the mix if there's one that's worth of the pick. Imagine someone emerges - but if they do might be out of the Jets' range assuming they land in the 3-6 range.

If no QB, Myles Garrett seems to be the clear cut top position player available. Defense would be annoying again but the Jets could absolutely use a terror off the edge. Haven't taken one of those at the top of the draft and wouldn't hate it.

Otherwise, hopefully a tackle emerges. That's going to be a tremendous need and not easy to fill via FA. Would love to see the FO rebuild the offensive line in this draft. Bring in a couple of bookend tackles and maybe a right guard, build around the line and running the football while developing a young QB. Secondary is easier to rebuild in FA than the OL IMO and both lack long-term answers.

Not sure where Peppers fits with the current defensive personnel. He's something in between Lee and Pryor IMO and both are on the team already. Maybe he replaces Gilchrist but I'm not so sure. Feel like you need someone solid to protect against big plays when Pryor gets overaggressive and I don't think Peppers is that guy, or polished enough to overlook that to take a shot on his physical upside when there are oodles of other needs.

Corner would be boring but I'd get it.

It's weird that the Jets don't really need a wideout any more although that could change if Marshall is shown the door.

Think Forte and Powell are both around another year so unless they're going to pound the rock 40 times a game I don't see Fournette. A multitalented back could easily slip outside of the first in this class though, and they could probably find a more physical back to complement Forte/Powell in the mid-rounds which I think has been lacking this year.

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2016 at 11:47 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

The Jets have had 12 first round picks in the last 10 years. 9 of them have been used on corners and front-seven. The fact that we're speculating on how they're going to do this yet again while the offense continues to wither away into a steaming pile of whale cum is preposterous. You people are Stolkhom Syndromed the **** out.

I approve of anything that begins or ends with, you people. 

On 01/12/2016 at 6:44 PM, derp said:

It's weird that the Jets don't really need a wideout any more although that could change if Marshall is shown the door.

The draft, especially the top, has to look longer term though ... you hope your first round pick is on the team for a minimum of 5 years, and hopefully more. Whether we show Marshall the door now, or next year, shouldn't be a factor IMHO; within the next 1-3 years we will likely be moving on from both our #1 and #2 WR, and unless you're convinced that Enunwa / Anderson / Smith / J Marshall all have "it" and can step up to be your main targets in the passing game, you need to be looking to add talent before you desperately need it. Otherwise you're continually shopping in FA for those top guys, where (a) they don't come cheap, (b) they don't last as long, and (c) there's usually a reason why they're available in the first place.

It's always easier to move on from a guy when you already have the talent on your team ready to step up. Maybe we do, maybe we don't.

My one concern with going WR at 6 is, does the guy that is on everyone's lips (Williams) have the talent and the ceiling worthy of that high a pick? Is he on a par with Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, AJ Green, Julio Jones (when they were drafted, obviously, not what they are now)? I hear a lot of good things, but I don't hear a lot of GREAT things so far, which makes me a bit nervous.

On 11/25/2016 at 11:47 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

The Jets have had 12 first round picks in the last 10 years. 9 of them have been used on corners and front-seven. The fact that we're speculating on how they're going to do this yet again while the offense continues to wither away into a steaming pile of whale cum is preposterous. You people are Stolkhom Syndromed the **** out.

True in November, true today. Not sure how this franchise can continue to make the same mistakes over and over and over again. 

Archived