Jets Defenders Show Respect, go Easy on Brady

JetNation

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Brady has at least 3 more years left...but that's not even the point.  

The league has him in a protection bubble and all of the players know it.  It's in their best interest not to hurt him because they'll be punished for it.  I don't believe they're thinking big picture - just immediate impact to their pocketbooks...

Honestly, if one of the Jets laid him out - he would have been penalized 15 yards,  suspended and fined...that's why they didn't do it.

Nope.   You go out as  a lead blocker, you are fair game.

You want to win the game.  Lay his ass out.   Teach him to never do that again.  My problem with the Jets, they aren't the tough guys they used to be.  If it was the Pats, or the SeaHawks you can bet your a$$ they'd have launched into him.  Legal and tough.

Just now, chirorob said:

Nope.   You go out as  a lead blocker, you are fair game.

You want to win the game.  Lay his ass out.   Teach him to never do that again.  My problem with the Jets, they aren't the tough guys they used to be.  If it was the Pats, or the SeaHawks you can bet your a$$ they'd have launched into him.  Legal and tough.

Exactly you take him out and if you get penalized so what. 

22 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

I understand the JN rhetoric, but the arm chair playing is a little ridiculous.

First, Brady was by the loosest definition a lead blocker.  He wanted nothing to do with contact.  I am sure if it thought he was going to get lit up he would have backed off and said " Nah...I am good".   In fact, he looks like he helped the Jets more than anything by getting in the way of Blount.

Second, I am not saying a defensive player would not take an opportunity to get an extra hit on a QB if the opportunity presented itself.  I am saying it is easy to watch the replay and say you should have done this or that when in real time they were looking to stop a big back that can be a load to take down when he is in his top gear.

Not really, and here's why.  The Jets had no business being in this game at all.  Based on how the two teams have played this season, it should've been a 35 point win for the Pats.

If the Jets were going to have any chance at all, the number one message that the coaches should have been sending all week is that hitting Brady is priority number one.  He's old, he's hobbled, and he has shown many times over that he's not the same QB when he's getting beat up.  With that in mind, the second they see a free run at Brady, no matter how bad he wanted to be there or not, you unload on the guy.

I'm actually surprised we don't see coaches telling their guys to give themselves an extra half step AFTER the whistle to lay a hit on him.  Teams have done it with Cam and it's worked very well for them.

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I'm actually surprised we don't see coaches telling their guys to give themselves an extra half step AFTER the whistle to lay a hit on him.  

Wow, just wow.

You do remember Bountygate and the trouble it got the Saints into, correct? If you tell players to be "dirty" with intent to injure others, that will get out. You cannot do exactly that.

Didn't you guys see how easy the Broncos took it on Brady last season in the playoffs?  All those chances to hit him but time and again they pulled up and avoided doing anything that might hurt him :rolleyes:

Just now, Beerfish said:

The team is very unlikable that is for sure.  I will say one thing though, I almost guarantee you that any player that hammered Brady would have been flagged, 100% guarantee.

What would the call have been for hitting a lead blocker?  Would a penalty for a clean hit not be worth it at that point in the game?

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

What would the call have been for hitting a lead blocker?  Would a penalty for a clean hit not be worth it at that point in the game?

They should have laid him out no matter what.  The refs would have come up with something, head shot, targeting they would have found something.

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

The NFL seems to want to legislate for intent these days. They like to get in the head and register what they feel others are thinking, if that does not sound silly enough.

Someone would probably argue that Brady was not sacrificing his body, and that the goal of the play should have been tackling the ball carrier, nt taking on a blocker, especially one that seemed disinterested.

Personally, I would love to see Brady laid out, and the Jets to be aggressive. But in today's NFL, the rules are cloudy and NFL legislates by perceived intent. And, players do not headhunt as much in prior days. It is a much nicer and gentler NFL. (Understandably, to some degree by concussion findings).

The fact that someone in this thread said that players should be coached to hit after the whistle is incredibly far fetched.

Just now, Beerfish said:

They should have laid him out no matter what.  The refs would have come up with something, head shot, targeting they would have found something.

You're 100% right, and a fine may be a possibly, but worth it IMO.  

We've seen what happens to Brady when he gets hit because other teams have done it.  No player has had to sell his house to pay off his fines, the NFL offices opened for business the next day, and a bunch of guys got huge contracts that off-season.  

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Brady is the most protected player, in the NFL. hitting him there us a penalty, fine and suspension.

Just get the runner down

Broncos wouldn't have won the SB last season if they played that scared.

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Not really, and here's why.  The Jets had no business being in this game at all.  Based on how the two teams have played this season, it should've been a 35 point win for the Pats.

If the Jets were going to have any chance at all, the number one message that the coaches should have been sending all week is that hitting Brady is priority number one.  He's old, he's hobbled, and he has shown many times over that he's not the same QB when he's getting beat up.  With that in mind, the second they see a free run at Brady, no matter how bad he wanted to be there or not, you unload on the guy.

I'm actually surprised we don't see coaches telling their guys to give themselves an extra half step AFTER the whistle to lay a hit on him.  Teams have done it with Cam and it's worked very well for them.

That is a bit hyperboles.  35?  The Patriots are not that good.

I am not arguing with your point about hitting the QB or making them feel uneasy in the pocket or even that extra hit/push at the end of a play to let them know you are always there.

My point is, in real time when more eyes are likely on Blount as he reverses direction than Brady, it is not the first thought to get a hit on Brady.  It is to get some helmets on Blount.

I get it.  Monday Morning Arm Chair Defenders.  

Just now, PFSIKH said:

That is a bit hyperboles.  35?  The Patriots are not that good.

I am not arguing with your point about hitting the QB or making them feel uneasy in the pocket or even that extra hit/push at the end of a play to let them know you are always there.

My point is, in real time when more eyes are likely on Blount as he reverses direction than Brady, it is not the first thought to get a hit on Brady.  It is to get some helmets on Blount.

I get it.  Monday Morning Arm Chair Defenders.  

The Jets on the other hand...LOL

Just now, Larz said:

That isn't scared, it's smart. would have been 15 yards added on at the very least

So all those times the Broncos hit Brady in the playoffs last season, that was dumb?

I know I'm in minority by taking it this far, but I think these guys need to think for the future. You have the opportunity to cut short the career (with a CLEAN hit!) of the biggest threat your team will face as long as he's in the league. He's what stops your team from having any shot at winning the division. He put his body is danger's way. You HAVE to take that hit.

Our defense has become a complete embarrassment.  They can't get to the QB consistently and can't cover worth a damn, Revis included.  

Watching Khalil Mack, Von Miller, and Justin Houston yesterday mad me both pissed and sad.  That explosive get after the QB intensity was supposed to be Sheldon, Wilk and Williams.  I give Williams a pass because he's only in his second year and is in on almost every play.  But our pass rush has become almost non-existent, especially compared to the maniacs I mentioned above.  

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Our defense has become a complete embarrassment.  They can't get to the QB consistently and can't cover worth a damn, Revis included.  

Watching Khalil Mack, Von Miller, and Justin Houston yesterday mad me both pissed and sad.  That explosive get after the QB intensity was supposed to be Sheldon, Wilk and Williams.  I give Williams a pass because he's only in his second year and is in on almost every play.  But our pass rush has become almost non-existent, especially compared to the maniacs I mentioned above.  

Yup....Pats used a lot of screens to slow the pass rush and compensate for Brady's leg, but when they needed to give Brady time, he had all the time he needed far too often.  That completion to Hogan in the middle of the field felt like he was scanning the field for around 7 seconds.

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I don't care what that link says. Taking a cheap  shot in Cindy would have been stupid.  

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

I don't care what that link says. Taking a cheap  shot in Cindy would have been stupid.  

Please explain to me how hitting a lead blocker, no matter how delicate a flower he may be, is a "cheap shot".  They had the opportunity to lay a 100% legal, full speed NFL football hit on the guy.  Instead, they took a pass and gave him a pat on the back for his effort.

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Didn't you guys see how easy the Broncos took it on Brady last season in the playoffs?  All those chances to hit him but time and again they pulled up and avoided doing anything that might hurt him :rolleyes:

I don't think the Broncos ever pass up an opportunity to go after someones knees or head.  They are by far the dirtiest team in the NFL.  I think it's roid rage.  The Broncos lead have had the most PED suspensions in the NFL.

Just now, devland said:

I don't think the Broncos ever pass up an opportunity to go after someones knees or head.  They are by far the dirtiest team in the NFL.  I think it's roid rage.  The Broncos lead have had the most PED suspensions in the NFL.

Whatever the reason, they hit Brady with a great deal of consistency last season and despite the claim that Brady cant' be hit legally or there will be a flag, there weren't any flags. Hmmm.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Whatever the reason, they hit Brady with a great deal of consistency last season and despite the claim that Brady cant' be hit legally or there will be a flag, there weren't any flags. Hmmm.

You need to ask the players on the play why they did not take a hit on him.

I gave you my speculation, which it is because the NFL protects their own, particularly stars. 

Tell us another reason. But without talking to Gilchrist, among others, we don't know.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Please explain to me how hitting a lead blocker, no matter how delicate a flower he may be, is a "cheap shot".  They had the opportunity to lay a 100% legal, full speed NFL football hit on the guy.  Instead, they took a pass and gave him a pat on the back for his effort.

Real good friend of mine, total Pats homer.  We talked about it, even he was like, "You get out in front of the runner, there's no QB protection..."

Not a shot to the knees.   Just a huge shoulder in the chest.  Gronk him for a few weeks.

Archived