Shared Stadium Fiasco

joewilly12

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Screams about lack of homefield advantage.

Doesn't bother to go to home games.

SAR I

You forgot one that some people here erroneously contend:

*Thinks Jets fans experience at Shea Stadium was fantastic*

What a disgusting sh!thole that dump was and the jets were forced to start most seasons with multiple road games.  

Fact: Jets were treated worse than a pile of dog-sh!t by NYC and the NY Mets.  Yet somehow, Jets fans pine for a return to such indignity.  What is it?  Short memories or blatant ignorance?

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

to play 2nd fiddle to a baseball team was one thing, to play 2nd fiddle to an NFL team is another.  The only good thing about the new Stadium is the Jets and Giants are equal partners unlike the old building.

this is ridiculous.  2nd fiddle is 2nd class no matter who oppresses you.  The Mets and NYC treated the Jets like dog sh!t and the place had horrible football sight lines.  Pining away for a return to something like Shea is just foolish and absurd.

41 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Not to mention that just because the Jets and Giants are the only teams that currently do it, doesn't mean others haven't considered it. The 49ers offered the Raiders a chance to share their new stadium. The Rams may end up sharing the new L.A. stadium with the Chargers and would be glad to do so. 

Plus, how is it any different than sharing a stadium with the Mets for 20 years?

Precisely.

And football is a man's sport.  What's with these pussy fans whose feelings are all hurt because, sniff-sniff, seat colors and endzone logos aren't up to their standards?  Our boys ball in the mud.  WTF is this?

SAR I

41 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I don't think we would have gotten the Olympics but we would have had the Final Four every few years, the SB every few years, CFB playoff, etc...

Manhattan supplies all the hotel rooms and all the restaurants for the major events you describe that take place at any of the 9 arenas in the area. 

There was no economic win for the city in hosting these events.  People travel to New Jersey to watch the game for 3 hours, they visit, eat, and sleep in Manhattan for 3 days.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

this is ridiculous.  2nd fiddle is 2nd class no matter who oppresses you.  The Mets and NYC treated the Jets like dog sh!t and the place had horrible football sight lines.  Pining away for a return to something like Shea is just foolish and absurd.

I didn't say we should go back to Shea and play 2nd fiddle to the Mets.  I am saying it was worse playing 2nd fiddle to another NFL team no matter how poorly the Jets were treated by the Mets.

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Manhattan supplies all the hotel rooms and all the restaurants for the major events you describe that take place at any of the 9 arenas in the area. 

There was no economic win for the city in hosting these events.  People travel to New Jersey to watch the game for 3 hours, they visit, eat, and sleep in Manhattan for 3 days.

SAR I

except we don't get FFs, SBs(outside of the one, we'd be in regular rotation if we got the WSS), CFB playoff, etc...  

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

to play 2nd fiddle to a baseball team was one thing, to play 2nd fiddle to an NFL team is another.  The only good thing about the new Stadium is the Jets and Giants are equal partners unlike the old building.

Do you understand that outside of the northeast most football fans don't even realize the Jets and Giants share a stadium? 

This is literally only an issue to thin-skinned fans with major inferiority complexes. 

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I didn't say we should go back to Shea and play 2nd fiddle to the Mets.  I am saying it was worse playing 2nd fiddle to another NFL team no matter how poorly the Jets were treated by the Mets.

except we don't get FFs, SBs(outside of the one, we'd be in regular rotation if we got the WSS), CFB playoff, etc...  

Living in a city that hosted a Super Bowl it's no great shakes. A bunch of neuvo-riche assclowns descend upon your city for a week, complain about everything and every business  price gouges like its the damned apocalypse. 

You can have it. 

35 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

What I think is embarrassing is, we share a stadium, in a dam New York market.. yet stadium is still weak and no dome.. If we had a dome they would actually think about bringing the Super Bowl back more often then once in never.

Why, so you can complain that you can't afford a Super Bowl ticket?

Or did you enjoy the security and the traffic?

Dome?  Great, let's get rid of our homefield advantage.  But wait, we need green plastic seats to win.  But hostile weather conditions?  Nah, who needs that.  If you guys would make up your minds it would really help things.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Do you understand that outside of the northeast most football fans don't even realize the Jets and Giants share a stadium? 

This is literally only an issue to thin-skinned fans with major inferiority complexes. 

everyone around the Country thinks we still play in Giants Stadium.

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

metlife-stadium.jpg

It looks like a skyscraper.  Gee, I wonder why that design theme was chosen.  Let me think about that for a second.

SAR I

it's a hideous looking stadium w/ zero character.  by far the worst of the new stadiums built this Century

2 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Living in a city that hosted a Super Bowl it's no great shakes. A bunch of neuvo-riche assclowns descend upon your city for a week, complain about everything and every business  price gouges like its the damned apocalypse. 

You can have it. 

I don't live in the City so it wouldn't affect me but a bonus of getting that stadium would have been all those other huge events.

43 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Again with this nonsense.

The WSS was a once in a lifetime opportunity to steal free land in Manhattan.  The odds of it happening were less than 1%.  Woody had the money to try a land grab so he went for it.  No fans were duped into thinking this would ever happen.

Oh, and one more thing:  Fans like you would have hated the place.

With 20,000 fewer seats, the ticket prices and PSL's would have been through the roof.  And getting affordable tickets in the aftermarket with a stadium as a tourist-trap?  Good luck with that.  And with no parking, there goes tailgating.  And with no tailgating and no cheap seats, the place would be filled with even more of the rich bastards you detest so much now.

You can't make this stuff up.

SAR I

This couldn't be more true.  Everyone would have celebrated at first... Then, reality would have sank in, and people would be more upset than they are now... No tailgating, no parking, more expensive (much more), and worse traffic.

People complain that it's too corporate now, and the real fans were pushed out... WTF do you think would happen if you put a football stadium in lower Manhattan.  Are you kidding?

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Dome?  Great, let's get rid of our homefield advantage.  But wait, we need green plastic seats to win.  But hostile weather conditions?  Nah, who needs that.  If you guys would make up your minds it would really help things.

SAR I

what homefield advantage?

Just now, nyjunc said:

everyone around the Country thinks we still play in Giants Stadium.

it's a hideous looking stadium w/ zero character.  by far the worst of the new stadiums built this Century

I don't live in the City so it wouldn't affect me but a bonus of getting that stadium would have been all those other huge events.

No, they really don't. Most don't even realize we don't have our own stadium. 

Last time I was in Seattle someone asked me which I thought was nicer, the new Giants Stadium or MetLife Stadium. Once I explained to him that the teams shared the stadium his response was, "that's one of the smartest things I've ever heard."

I reiterate - NO ONE CARES ABOUT THIS OUTSIDE OF INSECURE JETS FANS. 

The only reason your non-Jets fan friends give you a hard time about this is because they know you are overly sensitive about it. 

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

This couldn't be more true.  Everyone would have celebrated at first... Then, reality would have sank in, and people would be more upset than they are now... No tailgating, no parking, more expensive (much more), and worse traffic.

People complain that it's too corporate now, and the real fans were pushed out... WTF do you think would happen if you put a football stadium in lower Manhattan.  Are you kidding?

tailgating is overrated, traffic would have been eliminated for me as I would have taken the train.  we'd have much more people using mass transit.

any new stadium will be more corporate, that's the way it is but it would have been fun to have a stadium in NYC especially the design they were trying to build.

7 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

You can have it. 

When it was here, I tried to convince my wife that we should stay at my parents for the long weekend and rent our place out.  Could have gotten at least a month's and a half's rent.  She shot it down.

1 minute ago, Klecko73isGod said:

No, they really don't. Most don't even realize we don't have our own stadium. 

Last time I was in Seattle someone asked me which I thought was nicer, the new Giants Stadium or MetLife Stadium. Once I explained to him that the teams shared the stadium his response was, "that's one of the smartest things I've ever heard."

I reiterate - NO ONE CARES ABOUT THIS OUTSIDE OF INSECURE JETS FANS. 

The only reason your non-Jets fan friends give you a hard time about this is because they know you are overly sensitive about it. 

so b/c one person said that it meas the entire country feels that way?

I couldn't care less about non Jet fan friends giving me a hard time.  we were stepchildren in the old stadium.  if you ever can speak to a former player ask them what they thought of Giants Stadium.  the new stadium, as ugly as it is, is a true partnership so it's better than the old.  I have no issue sharing a stadium w/ NYG as a partner, we weren't partners at the old building.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

tailgating is overrated, traffic would have been eliminated for me as I would have taken the train.  we'd have much more people using mass transit.

any new stadium will be more corporate, that's the way it is but it would have been fun to have a stadium in NYC especially the design they were trying to build.

Tailgating for you might be overrated.  And personally, I agree.  But, from what I've seen, and heard, for a huge percentage of the fans, it is the draw, and the game is secondary.

As for traffic, mass transit would be a nightmare on Sundays, kind of like NJ Transit from the games now.  Yes, less would use it, but there'd still be tons of traffic.

Personally, I agree, it would have been fun.  I live on the Upper East Side.  Would have been great for me.  Close enough to get there in a cab, far enough to not have my neighborhood overrun by fools in zumba pants.  But, the modal Jets fan would probably not enjoy less seat availability, no tailgating, learning mass transit, increased traffic, and, if I had to guess, 1.5x ticket and concession prices.

10 minutes ago, gEYno said:

When it was here, I tried to convince my wife that we should stay at my parents for the long weekend and rent our place out.  Could have gotten at least a month's and a half's rent.  She shot it down.

A high school friend's house on Farmstead Rd. in North Caldwell rented for 100k that week. The package included game tickets and a private chef. 

My friend's father, who sold the house 12 years ago, was not amused. 

5 hours ago, gEYno said:

This is obviously not true, and should be amended to say, "no one who's not an old white man with a massive inferiority complex, an unhappy marriage, hypertension, a drinking problem he pretends is just 'a couple of beers,' and who's got little else going for him besides his ability to brag on the internet about being a 'real fan,' cares."

It could be amended to also say, "Snarky little pricks who think they are above it all but are warped and frustrated because their liberal arts education is useless,have no sign of a girlfriend, and have had to move back in with mom and dad care".

11 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

so b/c one person said that it meas the entire country feels that way?

I couldn't care less about non Jet fan friends giving me a hard time.  we were stepchildren in the old stadium.  if you ever can speak to a former player ask them what they thought of Giants Stadium.  the new stadium, as ugly as it is, is a true partnership so it's better than the old.  I have no issue sharing a stadium w/ NYG as a partner, we weren't partners at the old building.

I find this very hard to believe. 

And I think it was pretty obvious I was using that one person as an example. It wasn't remotely the first time I've heard it. 

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

We don't get final fours because college sports are a non-factor in New York City, it's just not something most fans care about.

We had a Super Bowl, it didn't change our lives or make our city more exciting.  It was just a thing, it's really better suited for warm weather anyway.

A Manhattan stadium is an exciting thought, I agree, but in practical terms we would have hated it.  Small facility, limited seating, expensive, no parking, crowded trains, overpriced food, small concourses, and a fanbase filled with rich vacationers taking in the game as a curiosity.

We are far better off where we are.  Especially with over 75% of the fans living in New Jersey, people forget that.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

It could be amended to also say, "Snarky little pricks who think they are above it all but are warped and frustrated because their liberal arts education is useless,have no sign of a girlfriend, and have had to move back in with mom and dad care".

Curious which young people you hear complaining about this?

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We are far better off where we are.  Especially with over 75% of the fans living in New Jersey, people forget that.

SAR I

If you chose not to take NJ Transit, $12 to cross, and then, I'd guess on gameday, $50-75 to park.  But, as long as they didn't call it a PSL, I'm sure people would be thrilled to shell that out.

Every year this same stale old topic is started as a brand new thread ..

Final summary

In 1960 and 1961 the Titans had their own unshared stadium in Northern Manhattan

Whoopdie damn do!!

Announced crowds if 31611 showed up of which according to George Vecsey in the NY Times "29500 came disguised as empty seats.

Maybe this is the period of unshared greatness and "non fiasco" that the esteemed OP of this dumb thread yearns for.

In 1962 the Mets were formed and the Mets and Titans and in 1963 Jets shared the broken down dump on Coogans Bluff.

The City built a new stadium that opened in 1964 near the site of the Worlds Fair. It was one of the generation of hideous ugly multipurpose cookie cutter stadia built to be shared by baseball and football teams.

The Mets were the Apple of our City's politicians eyes so they were signed as primary tenant. The Jets got the raw end of the deal...including unheated bathrooms in winter that turned into urine skating rinks, prohibition on playing on the Mets hallowed turf until the baseball season was over (which meant starting every NFL season with 4 or 5 road games and one season 1973 in which our home game vs the Steelers was played in Pittsburgh)

This might also be the glorious area longed for by the OP

This situation continued until the mid 80s and since Mayor Koch preferred bathhouses to sports, not a penny was spent to maintain the Stadium as it became a rotting dump

Fortunately the Giants built their own stadium in NJ and the Jets were able to move there and share it as secondary tenants

Finally the current stadium was built and for the first time since 1962 the Jets are NOT second fiddle to another team in their home stadium

46 minutes ago, OH THE PAIN said:

And what has this got us ? BUTKIS !!!!!!!!!!!!

True, we don't have great results.

But something we never have to face is what the typical Jacksonville Jaguars fan or Miami Dolphins fan has to face-  a team that's cash-poor and can't improve the team in ways their opponents can.  We are the richest team in our division.  The P atriots can beat us on the field but not off it.  We can outbid them for hot head coaches, coordinators, assistants.  We can outspend them on technology, facilities, training, and all the other little things that help put a champion under the confetti.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

I find this very hard to believe. 

And I think it was pretty obvious I was using that one person as an example. It wasn't remotely the first time I've heard it. 

you can believe what you want, I only get bothered if NYG or other teams fans are better than the Jets.  

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We don't get final fours because college sports are a non-factor in New York City, it's just not something most fans care about.

We had a Super Bowl, it didn't change our lives or make our city more exciting.  It was just a thing, it's really better suited for warm weather anyway.

A Manhattan stadium is an exciting thought, I agree, but in practical terms we would have hated it.  Small facility, limited seating, expensive, no parking, crowded trains, overpriced food, small concourses, and a fanbase filled with rich vacationers taking in the game as a curiosity.

SAR I

the FF is a marquee event, NYC is a marquee town.  It would be huge here as would the CFB playoff.

we had a SB in NEW JERSEY

we could use a smaller facility since we can't sell out the bigger one.

I like the location of the stadium, it's not in a bad spot.  I know all the roads to get in and out so I am comfortable there but I would have loved to take the train to games and had a NYC stadium w/ a beautiful design and background.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

I called it a fiasco as it is. 

Does the truth hurt again? 

dra·ma queen
noun
informal
  1. a person who habitually responds to situations in a melodramatic way.

My friend at MetLife has reserved a parking spot just for you joewilly:

DRAMA_QUEEN_ParkingOnly_1_500.jpg

42 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The only thing that makes you feel second-fiddle is yourself.

When I walk into MetLife Stadium I'm not thinking about the Giants.  When I walk into my home I'm not thinking of a guy who owns a mansion.  When I drive my BMW, well, got me there.

Point is, man-up, have some balls, forget the teasing you got from Giants fans when you were a boy, show some self-respect, and stop making other fans make you feel like crying.  This is football.  Not ballet.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:
dra·ma queen
noun
informal
  1. a person who habitually responds to situations in a melodramatic way.

My friend at MetLife has reserved a parking spot just for you joewilly:

You don't have any friends and you just want to argue with me thats all your about. 

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

True, we don't have great results.

But something we never have to face is what the typical Jacksonville Jaguars fan or Miami Dolphins fan has to face-  a team that's cash-poor and can't improve the team in ways their opponents can.  We are the richest team in our division.  The Cheaters can beat us on the field but not off it.  We can outbid them for hot head coaches, coordinators, assistants.  We can outspend them on technology, facilities, training, and all the other little things that help put a champion under the confetti.

SAR I

money is not an issue in the FL, Jax and Mia haven't sucked b/c they can't spend.  

where has that outspending gotten us?  we have the same amount of PO apps as Jax and Mia since 2011.

24 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Lol.. I wouldn't complain about the ticket $, or even care to go.. Super Bowl parties are way more fun.. But It's good revenue for the area.. My point is we have such a big city market, share cost with 2 teams.. Yet we STILL build a second rate stadium.. It's going to be here a longgg time, and will be surpassed more and more as time goes on.. 

Ha the weather arguement always makes me laugh lol.. We never had a qb who could take advantage.. We played better on the road in big games.. if we actually ever did make it to a super bowl, the warm weather and/or dome would be a disadvantage to teams who have the experience playing in quality stadiums..

Archived