Shared Stadium Fiasco

joewilly12

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SAR I said:

The only thing that makes you feel second-fiddle is yourself.

When I walk into MetLife Stadium I'm not thinking about the Giants.  When I walk into my home I'm not thinking of a guy who owns a mansion.  When I drive my BMW, well, got me there.

Point is, man-up, have some balls, forget the teasing you got from Giants fans when you were a boy, show some self-respect, and stop making other fans make you feel like crying.  This is football.  Not ballet.

SAR I

we were, we drove into the old Stadium and there was "Giants Stadium", we walked into through the gates that were blue and red(before they later added the paper to cover them and make them green), we walked inside and the workers there wore blue and red, the seats were blue and red, the wall of the field was blue(until we began covering it in 1989).  ask any player how that felt if you get a chance to speak to one.

losing bothers me more than the old stadium, if we won a SB or SBs then who cares? but we lost a lot more than won there.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

money is not an issue in the FL, Jax and Mia haven't sucked b/c they can't spend.  

where has that outspending gotten us?  we have the same amount of PO apps as Jax and Mia since 2011.

The Jaguars have won 12 games in the last four years. Even as bad as we've been this year, we've won 14 in the last two with the chance to win more. 

I live in Jacksonville, the novelty of the big screens and swimming pools has worn off and people now all realize they were just a distraction from a sh*tty team. The weather here is supposed to be beautiful the next 2-3 weeks. That stadium will be empty. 

48 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Fact: Jets were treated worse than a pile of dog-sh!t by NYC and the NY Mets.  Yet somehow, Jets fans pine for a return to such indignity.  What is it?  Short memories or blatant ignorance?

I've come to the conclusion that some Jets fans just want to be rotten and angry all the time.  The owner is always greedy, the fans are always too quiet, the stadium is always disappointing, tickets used to be $5, blah blah blah.

New York hated the Jets.  Hated us.  We paid the Mets to use the building, the Mets got everything they wanted, we had a terrible schedule, the field was awful, the views were terrible, when Leon Hess told Ed Koch that we needed a stadium more suited to our needs, shared with the Mets or otherwise, he told him to leave town.

Can't get much worse than that.  And these are the "good old days"?  Things were better then?  Please.

SAR I

Just now, Klecko73isGod said:

The Jaguars have won 12 games in the last four years. Even as bad as we've been this year, we've won 14 in the last two with the chance to win more. 

I live in Jacksonville, the novelty of the big screens and swimming pools has worn off and people now all realize they were just a distraction from a sh*tty team. The weather here is supposed to be beautiful the next 2-3 weeks. That stadium will be empty. 

yet we have the same # of playoff apps. I don't care that we won 10 last year, that was meaningless w/o a playoff app and Jax has a ton of young talent.  w/ the riight coach they are a quick fix so at least they have hope.

I've come to the conclusion that some Jets fans just want to be rotten and angry all the time.  The owner is always greedy, the fans are always too quiet, the stadium is always disappointing, tickets used to be $5, blah blah blah.

New York hated the Jets.  Hated us.  We paid the Mets to use the building, the Mets got everything they wanted, we had a terrible schedule, the field was awful, the views were terrible, when Leon Hess told Ed Koch that we needed a stadium more suited to our needs, shared with the Mets or otherwise, he told him to leave town.

Can't get much worse than that.

SAR I

it boils down to winning, if we were winners people would be happy no matter where we played, no matter what the prices, no matter what the uniforms, etc...

Just now, nyjunc said:

yet we have the same # of playoff apps. I don't care that we won 10 last year, that was meaningless w/o a playoff app and Jax has a ton of young talent.  w/ the riight coach they are a quick fix so at least they have hope.

The Jags really don't have any more young talent than the Jets. Its about the same.

Plus they have to have a serous debate whether or not to take a QB with the number 3 pick because they still have a lot of money wrapped in Bortles who has terribly regressed this year. 

6 hours ago, OH THE PAIN said:

Serves the ******* owners right for being cheap bastards and sharing a stadium .

I was talking to a Jets fan the other day who was livid that the Cowboys stadium was so awesome and ours was so mediocre. I was like dude, that's what happens when you split a building. It has to be generic so that the two sides contributing 800 million dollars aren't offended by the other and the building can actually get built.

I don't want to call Woody a cheap bastard, after all he had the vision of a WSS stadium and that would have been awesome if we had our own building in Manhattan while the Gints were in the swamps. But that didn't happen obviously.  

So here we are with a stadium that looks like an air conditioner and has gray seats. It's so generic that sometimes the ez don't have logos. 

and side note when people say the Jets should hire Harbaugh or whoever, that sharing a building thing is not a selling point to an established coach with options. 

36 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

it's a hideous looking stadium w/ zero character.  by far the worst of the new stadiums built this Century

Give me a break.  I've been to about a dozen NFL stadiums and MetLife is on-par with the rest of them.

Lucas Oil in Indianapolis?  What, that has "character" because of the fake brick on the exterior? 

It's the fans that make up the character of a stadium.  The stuff you worry about.  Stop doing this to yourself.

SAR I

Just now, bitonti said:

I was talking to a Jets fan the other day who was livid that the Cowboys stadium was so awesome and ours was so mediocre. I was like dude, that's what happens when you split a building. It has to be generic so that the two sides contributing 800 million dollars aren't offended by the other and the building can actually get built.

I don't want to call Woody a cheap bastard, after all he had the vision of a WSS stadium and that would have been awesome if we had our own building in Manhattan while the Gints were in the swamps. But that didn't happen obviously.  

So here we are with a stadium that looks like an air conditioner and has gray seats. It's so generic that sometimes the ez don't have logos. 

The seat color is what it is because the empty seats aren't as obvious on TV. 

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Give me a break.  I've been to about a dozen NFL stadiums and MetLife is on-par with the rest of them.

Lucas Oil in Indianapolis?  What, that has "character" because of the fake brick on the exterior? 

It's the fans that make up the character of a stadium.  The stuff you worry about.  Stop doing this to yourself.

SAR I

It's the ugliest stadium in major pro sports in the US and it's not close.  Look at what Minnesota just built and look at the crap we got stuck w/?

39 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

what homefield advantage?

Cold.  Wind.  Precipitation.  Eastern time zone.  Loud New York fans hungry for meaningful games in December and January.

Playoff games happen at night, in January.  Half the teams in the AFC play in warm weather or domes or western time zones.

And if you attended the P atriots game last December at MetLife you'd know what all this meant towards a homefield advantage, hell, you should have heard how loud we were at the Giants game which wasn't our home game.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

and side note when people say the Jets should hire Harbaugh or whoever, that sharing a building thing is not a selling point to an established coach with options. 

the seat color is fine, they do a good job making the stadium feel Jet like on gameday.  I have no issue w/ that.  it's more the design, we got a tin can as a stadium.

1 minute ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Notre Dame has always played with generic diagonal striped end zones. I hope that's what ours look like Saturday. That's football!

they do that b/c of their championship tradition from 100 years ago, we don't have that.

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Cold.  Wind.  Precipitation.  Eastern time zone.  Loud New York fans hungry for meaningful games in December and January.

Playoff games happen at night, in January.  Half the teams in the AFC play in warm weather or domes or western time zones.

And if you attended the P atriots game last December at MetLife you'd know what all this meant towards a homefield advantage, hell, you should have heard how loud we were at the Giants game which wasn't our home game.

SAR I

in our history we are only 4-3 at home in the playoffs.

where did that pats game get us?

"loud New York fans" only on 3rd or 4th and short and only when things are going well. if we get off to a slow start the fans just groan.

home field is determined by how good the team is not the fans, not the weather or anything else.  we are always told how KC has the best homefield advantage.  they have lost their last 4 home playoff games.

while NE fans are great in the playoffs they win b/c the team is great(mostly the QB) not b/c of the fans, stadium or weather.

20 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

money is not an issue in the FL, Jax and Mia haven't sucked b/c they can't spend. 

where has that outspending gotten us?  we have the same amount of PO apps as Jax and Mia since 2011.

That's not the point.  The point is "we can't afford it" is never uttered by Jets management.

The Mets live for that statement.  The Yankees just adopted this stance.  The Islanders became homeless over this.

The Jets and Giants are flush with cash and while that might make you envious as an individual it should make you thrilled as a football fan because it means your team can do things for coaches and players that other teams can't.  And in a capped league with strict transactional rules, those things make a huge difference to the coaches and players as tiebreakers when they have multiple offers.  How many times did you need to hear the likes of Bart Scott and Ladanian Tomlinson say they joined our losing franchise because of the training facilities, the coaching staff, the front office, the beautiful homes in great neighborhoods they can own, and on and on.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

That's not the point.  The point is "we can't afford it" is never uttered by Jets management.

The Mets live for that statement.  The Yankees just adopted this stance.

The Jets and Giants are flush with cash and while that might make you envious as an individual it should make you thrilled as a football fan because it means your team can do things for coaches and players that other teams can't.  And in a capped league with strict transactional rules, those things make a huge difference to the coaches and players as tiebreakers when they have multiple offers.

SAR I

why would it make me envious as an individual? when do these benefits start showing up on Sundays- that's all I care about.

32 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

A high school friend's house on Farmstead Rd. in North Caldwell rented for 100k that week. The package included game tickets and a private chef. 

My friend's father, who sold the house 12 years ago, was not amused. 

I have a friend who's a private chef... I totally could have done this.  And, North Caldwell's not even that close to the game, or the city.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

why would it make me envious as an individual? when do these benefits start showing up on Sundays- that's all I care about.

Come on, man.  It's sports.  You should know better.  The only thing your ticket price gets you is a seat at the game.  That's anywhere in the country and in any league.

Just now, gEYno said:

Come on, man.  It's sports.  You should know better.  The only thing your ticket price gets you is a seat at the game.  That's anywhere in the country and in any league.

I am not complaining about ticket prices, I get tickets now for less than what I paid when I was a long time season ticket holder.  I was responding to SARs post about what an advantage we have b/c the franchise has cash.

19 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol.. I wouldn't complain about the ticket $, or even care to go.. Super Bowl parties are way more fun.. But It's good revenue for the area.. My point is we have such a big city market, share cost with 2 teams.. Yet we STILL build a second rate stadium.. It's going to be here a longgg time, and will be surpassed more and more as time goes on.. 

Ha the weather arguement always makes me laugh lol.. We never had a qb who could take advantage.. We played better on the road in big games.. if we actually ever did make it to a super bowl, the warm weather and/or dome would be a disadvantage to teams who have the experience playing in quality stadiums..

I can talk to 1998 where we whipped the warm weather Jacksonville Jaguars and 2002 where we crushed the dome Indianapolis Colts as two very recent examples of January homefield advantage over opponents that surely helped us to big victories.

The stadium isn't second-rate.  It's a cement bowl for fans, no different than Dallas, Houston, Washington, pick one.  The important thing is that we are #1 in attendance in the AFC, even in crappy down years like this one.  More Jets fans than Shea (only held 62,000) and Giants (only held 76,000) watching the Jets every week.  Doesn't get much better than that.

SAR I

I can talk to 1998 where we whipped the warm weather Jacksonville Jaguars and 2002 where we crushed the dome Indianapolis Colts as two very recent examples of January homefield advantage over opponents that surely helped us to big victories.

The stadium isn't second-rate.  It's a cement bowl for fans, no different than Dallas, Houston, Washington, pick one.  The important thing is that we are #1 in attendance in the AFC, even in crappy down years like this one.  More Jets fans than Shea (only held 62,000) and Giants (only held 76,000) watching the Jets every week.  Doesn't get much better than that.

SAR I

Jacksonville went into Denver 2 years earlier and beat the #1 seed broncos.  weather wasn't why we won.

It may have played a role vs. Indy since Peyton always struggled outdoors but he struggled in good conditions in postseason too.

we are not #1 in real attendance. 

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

On gameday there is more Jets green in the bowl than there ever was at Shea or Giants Stadium.

And inside the stadium there are photos of Jets legends everywhere, the concession stands have TV's with green LCD's, the shops all have Jets logos and branding, what exactly makes this different than Dallas?  We have the same grey concrete they do, that takes up about 80% of what anyone can see anyway.

SAR I

Archived