Shared Stadium Fiasco

joewilly12

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

All stadiums are the same in the seating bowl.  Field, wall, ribbon boards, decks, that's it.

You don't like the exterior.  Tell me what it should have looked like to make you happy.

SAR I

not really.  

I'm not an architect but it's a hideous, boring design.  compare it to Minny or Atlanta and it's a joke.

Just now, Klecko73isGod said:

Well if it doesn't have Hebrew Nationals and Cohen's Knishes then I would have to agree with you that it is an ugly piece of sh*t and how dare they not have it say "Jets" in the end zone this Saturday!

finally you are making some sense

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Well when you spend 2 mil on your stadium you can make sure that they could be changed quickly.

Because I'm betting the Jets and Giants arent losing any sleep over this one game in almost 35 seasons where its an not doable.

you don't remember for many years we had the ugly "Jets" or "Giants" in the EZ's that they repainted every game and you could see the other team's name below it?  it's not a good luck, I love the look of our field on gameday and saturday it will look like crap.  remember the '98 Seattle game where there was a problem w/ the EZ piece and one of the EZ's was blank? it was terrible to look at and luckily it as the opposite end of the Vinny sneak or else we'd see it every time they replayed that play.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, nyjunc said:

it would have been great to have the WSS but I do think the Giants would have joined us at some point so we'd have the same problems.  

people seem to forget that woody was all about getting the west side stadium but he was overruled by the nyc pols and would've paid way too many bribes to get it done.  i'm not in favor of the shared stadium.  the jets have always paid second fiddle with regard to the stadium.  they should have their own.

15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No outrage just good intellectual adult conversation sorry you see it differently. 

I do.

Hard to claim that EZ's not saying Jets in them is a fiasco and getting all twisted over the one time its happened in 35 years makes it a intellectual adult conversation.  

Way too much is being made over something that has no impact on the game, the score, peoples enjoyment of the game.  

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

people seem to forget that woody was all about getting the west side stadium but he was overruled by the nyc pols and would've paid way too many bribes to get it done.  i'm not in favor of the shared stadium.  the jets have always paid second fiddle with regard to the stadium.  they should have their own.

Except that they play second fiddle to no one at Met Life.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

I do.

Hard to claim that EZ's not saying Jets in them is a fiasco and getting all twisted over the one time its happened in 35 years makes it a intellectual adult conversation.  

Way too much is being made over something that has no impact on the game, the score, peoples enjoyment of the game.  

I enjoy seeing the green EZs, the team sucks but at least the field was nice to look at.  it won't be Saturday.

I don't believe you.

Good

And I don't actually give a rats and whether you believe me, whether you've gone to any games, whatever other message boards you've posted and got banned at, what you think about anything at all.

Go see a shrink about your paranoia of people stalking you on football message boards or elsewhere

Seek help for your illness

26 minutes ago, SMC said:

@Klecko73isGod  , serious question.  Do you remember specifically that Metlife's outside skin of aluminum louvers was modeled after the World Trade Center?  I thought it was modeled after Allianz Stadium and don't remember the purpose of alluding to the WTC.  Metlife Stadium's website makes no mention of it.

If they were trying to allude to WTC they did a horrible job because WTC didn't have louvers and the exterior framing was vertical while Metlife Stadium is horizontal.

allianz_arena_2005-06-10-1024x768.jpg

The stadium is distinguished by an outer skin of aluminum louvers and by interior lighting capable of switching colors, depending on which team is currently playing; blue for the Giants and green for the Jets.[10] This idea originated at the Allianz Arena in Munich, Germany, which is shared between the city's two major soccer clubs, Bayern Munich and 1860 Munich. Unlike Giants Stadium, MetLife Stadium can easily be converted from a Giants game to a Jets game or vice versa, within a matter of hours.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Good

And I don't actually give a rats and whether you believe me, whether you've gone to any games, whatever other message boards you've posted and got banned at, what you think about anything at all.

Go see a shrink about your paranoia of people stalking you on football message boards or elsewhere

Seek help for your illness

you clearly value my opinions as I have no idea who you are, you have about 5 posts here and do nothing but follow me around.

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I've said this so many times.  When youre inside of the stadium, other than bitching about the grey colors, what wrong with the building?  Plenty of room, large seating capacity, concessions, parking, etc, all are as good as it gets.

Really give a shlt that the louver look isnt as cool as Dallas' look?  People need to get over it, the outside is going to look this way for 30 or so years and doesnt effect the experience of being at a live event and doesnt effect the score and outcome of the game. 

Agree completely.

And considering how bad we've had it-  Shea Stadium baseball diamond, Giants Stadium red and blue decor-  MetLife is a palace.  Anywhere that 80,000 Jets fans congregate to watch a game is "Jets Stadium", and MetLife does a great job of handling two teams yet appearing to support only one.  Who cares what the outside of a stadium looks like?  Who even looks at the thing?

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

allianz_arena_2005-06-10-1024x768.jpg

The stadium is distinguished by an outer skin of aluminum louvers and by interior lighting capable of switching colors, depending on which team is currently playing; blue for the Giants and green for the Jets.[10] This idea originated at the Allianz Arena in Munich, Germany, which is shared between the city's two major soccer clubs, Bayern Munich and 1860 Munich. Unlike Giants Stadium, MetLife Stadium can easily be converted from a Giants game to a Jets game or vice versa, within a matter of hours.

SAR I

not w/in a few hours, they can't do it when a game ends at 11:30 one night and have it ready by 10-11 AM the next day

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Agree completely.

And considering how bad we've had it-  Shea Stadium baseball diamond, Giants Stadium red and blue decor-  MetLife is a palace.  Anywhere that 80,000 Jets fans congregate to watch a game is "Jets Stadium", and MetLife does a great job of handling two teams yet appearing to support only one.  Who cares what the outside of a stadium looks like?  Who even looks at the thing?

SAR I

shea was unique

Giants Stadium was a perfect stadium but the blue and red was awful.

the ONLY reason the new stadium is better is b/c we don't see blue and red anymore.

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

not like it was at the old stadium or shea but as long as it's a giaints town it doesn't help to have them in the same stadium.

The Giants dont enter my mind and thoughts leading up to a game or any game I've ever gone to at Met Life.

I just cant agree and dont see it as an issue in any way

29 minutes ago, SMC said:

Yeah, I don't think it was ever meant to look like WTC (although I understand the optical illusion you refer to because of the floor windows).  It wouldve been great if that was the design purpose.  They did it with the new WTC transportation Hub.  That wouldve been a great exterior for Metlife

metlife.jpg

MetLife looks unmistakably industrial.  It's powerful, sleek, cold, hard, it's basically a metaphor for New York and has the appearance of many of the skyscrapers that are the signature of Manhattan.

There is nothing "Texan" about Cowboy Stadium.  There is nothing Colonial about Gillette Stadium.  MetLife Stadium looks and feels like it's part of Manhattan.  Take 3 photos of these 3 stadiums to someone who lives in Hong Kong, ask them which one belongs in New York City, they'll choose MetLife every time.  That's precisely why the stadium has an identity and fits in with its environment.

SAR I

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The white fasemask controversy was more important than this, and that's not saying much.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, rangerous said:

not like it was at the old stadium or shea but as long as it's a giaints town it doesn't help to have them in the same stadium.

How is this a Giants town?  Do more than 50% of the people you engage with in the area root for the Giants?

For me, it's about 50/50.  Perhaps that's just my family and my wife's family broken out that way, but I've never gotten this Jets vs. Giants Yale Bowl Vengeance vibe since I've been a fan going back to 1980.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Certainly no more important and more important when it comes to helping us score points

I guess I am happy to have had a day off from getting sucked into the vortex of another Geno Smith Sucks thread, so there's that.  Ever notice how the GLM guys are the same as the anti-Stadium guys?  Weird.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

How is this a Giants town?  Do more than 50% of the people you engage with in the area root for the Giants?

For me, it's about 50/50.  Perhaps that's just my family and my wife's family broken out that way, but I've never gotten this Jets vs. Giants Yale Bowl Vengeance vibe since I've been a fan going back to 1980.

SAR I

the giaints have had more success of late than the jets.  there was a brief period when rex knocked the giaints off the back page but by and large the giants seem to get the top billing.  and regionally it's even worse.  hardly anyone outside of the ny metro area is a jets fan.

14 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

shea was unique

Giants Stadium was a perfect stadium but the blue and red was awful.

the ONLY reason the new stadium is better is b/c we don't see blue and red anymore.

Speaking only for myself, the Mezzanine views are comparable, ingress/egress is better, parking is better, food is better, lines at bathrooms are minimal, lines at concessions are non-existent, the interior has more green than Giants Stadium or Shea Stadium ever had, and the place is still in mint condition, no signs of premature aging or erosion.

The stadium is just fine.  It's not supposed to be a tourist attraction or some marvel of engineering.  It's a dependable and updated version of it's famous father and it's very successful.  Attendance doesn't lie.

SAR I

8 hours ago, gEYno said:

This is obviously not true, and should be amended to say, "no one who's not an old white man with a massive inferiority complex, an unhappy marriage, hypertension, a drinking problem he pretends is just 'a couple of beers,' and who's got little else going for him besides his ability to brag on the internet about being a 'real fan,' cares."

Wow, you really dislike white men ... racist!!

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Speaking only for myself, the Mezzanine views are comparable, ingress/egress is better, parking is better, food is better, lines at bathrooms are minimal, lines at concessions are non-existent, the interior has more green than Giants Stadium or Shea Stadium ever had, and the place is still in mint condition, no signs of premature aging or erosion.

The stadium is just fine.  It's not supposed to be a tourist attraction or some marvel of engineering.  It's a dependable and updated version of it's famous father and it's very successful.  Attendance doesn't lie.

SAR I

attendance sucks, REAL attendance not the floated BS they give us.

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The Giants dont enter my mind and thoughts leading up to a game or any game I've ever gone to at Met Life.

I just cant agree and dont see it as an issue in any way

Again, agree completely.

When I went to concerts at Nassau Colosseum I didn't get hives because the hated Islanders played there, I just was psyched to see the band.  These odd fascinations over what a concrete bowl does on the days our team isn't playing there is quite odd.  Even Yankee Stadium (and I'm a Yankee fan) doesn't have any pull as a cherished shrine to me, it's just a building.  Fenway Park is quaint, it's a throwback, it's charming, but it's not something special, it's just another way of getting people into a concrete bowl to watch an event.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the attendance will rise when the team finally does well, year in and year out.

I understand that, he's making it sound like attendance is up b/c we have this beautiful new stadium.  attendance #s may be up but those are not real #s.

27 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I understand that, he's making it sound like attendance is up b/c we have this beautiful new stadium.  attendance #s may be up but those are not real #s.

35 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

attendance sucks, REAL attendance not the floated BS they give us.

You've counted and have the REAL, actual numbers?

The NFL is lying about Jets attendance?  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You've counted and have the REAL, actual numbers?

The NFL is lying about Jets attendance?  

Absolutely. This isn't breaking news and teams in all sports do it all the time. The NFL in particular has benefited wholly from the blackout policy which drives up artificial attendance numbers. Plenty of baseball clubs count tickets sold, not turnstiles clicked too; and I remember the Marlins got caught a little while back selling seats to a game already played.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Absolutely. This isn't breaking news and teams in all sports do it all the time. The NFL in particular has benefited wholly from the blackout policy which drives up artificial attendance numbers. Plenty of baseball clubs count tickets sold, not turnstiles clicked too; and I remember the Marlins got caught a little while back selling seats to a game already played.

All baseball teams count tickets sold today.  Its by rule.  Changed to that way years ago.  Forever it was the NL that counted actual asses in seats as attendance while the AL counted seats sold.  So there isnt a situation where some teams are counting one way, others differently. 

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what the benefit is to a team like the Jets or Giants to report attendance at 78 thousand when it was lets say 68,000. Theres no risk of blackout when ST sales guarantee all games will be broadcast

Archived