is Chan Gailey going to be the Jets sacrificial lamb ? ? ?

kelly

Fire the special teams guy since that seems to have worked so well last year :)

The only coaching change I would make is Pepper Johnson to DC, the rest of the staff can stay for the rebuild, Mac needs s couple of decent drafts to make this an attractive job again or there will need to be more changes

Hard to build a winning culture when you fire the staff every two years

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Schitty, Sparano, Morningweg, Gaily.  Why is it that everyone one of these "bums" has had good offenses before coming here and after leaving here?  

i guess one commonality is that all of the head coaches were/are defensive types.  i'm not necessarily against defensive coaches but some don't appear to understand the nuances of the game enough.  parcells, noll, landry, bellichicken, carroll all came from the defensive side of the ball but they also all knew the offense and all aspects of the game. edwards, rex and now bowles hired very experienced offensive coordinators to run that part of the team.  mangini had schitty and that was his first stint as oc.

29 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i guess one commonality is that all of the head coaches were/are defensive types.  i'm not necessarily against defensive coaches but some don't appear to understand the nuances of the game enough.  parcells, noll, landry, bellichicken, carroll all came from the defensive side of the ball but they also all knew the offense and all aspects of the game. edwards, rex and now bowles hired very experienced offensive coordinators to run that part of the team.  mangini had schitty and that was his first stint as oc.

Shotty came here with a lot of fanfare as an upmand coming, young, bright offensive guy.  I was thinking its more to do with the QB they had here.  Sanchez never became capable and Geno only played his rookie and 2nd season.  I don't see any proof that any of the HCs restricted what the OC was allowed to do.  

21 hours ago, kelly said:

Chan Gailey has become an easy target these days, a convenient culprit to help ease the pain for this forgettable season. In a few weeks, he might become the sacrificial lamb.

The Jets have two play callers in the building: Todd Bowles and Gailey.

Since Bowles isn’t going to fire himself, Gailey stands to be the scapegoat for the Jets.There will almost certainly be other coaching changes too after some position groups drastically underachieved, but Bowles, who has sole control over which coaches stay or go, will need to show that the status quo isn’t acceptable.I’m not sold that Gailey deserves to be fired despite the woeful offensive numbers this season. Remember, this is the same guy, who oversaw the most prolific offense in franchise history last year.

Did Gailey magically forget how to call good plays in his second season? Did he suddenly become clueless?

Of course not, but offensive coordinator’s live in a world where second-guessing is part of the job description. Gailey, who has coached for seven organizations over four decades, knows the drill. We’re all Monday Morning Quarterbacks. We’re all Bill Walsh in our own minds. Play-calling is a snap.“Being a head coach, being a play caller and being a quarterback are all kind of similar in that it’s always easy to question that person,” Ryan Fitzpatrick told the Daily News. “But when you are that person and you’re having to make every decision ... it’s a hard thing to do. It’s harder than it looks. Most people that are critiquing and criticizing have never been in that position.”

“It’s not even (people) that never played,” Fitzpatrick continued. “It’s even people who have played, but have never been the person that calls plays. It’s not an easy thing. As a head coach, all the decisions you make get scrutinized. That’s part of the job. That’s how head coach, coordinator and quarterback are similar ... You are the decision maker. You’re the one doing it so everything you do is going to be scrutinized. A lot of people that are doing (the criticizing) have never been in that position before. Maybe they don’t realize the difficulty of it.”

Bowles hired Gailey, who was out of football for two seasons, for myriad reasons. He had twice before been a head coach. He had cultivated quarterbacks. He was expected to provide the calm and leadership needed for an offense that had struggled badly in the previous four seasons under Rex Ryan.Gailey’s offense flourished last season to help Bowles win 10 games.

It all became unhinged this year.

The Jets are 22nd in total offense, 26th in passing offense and tied for 28th in scoring. Gailey’s offense has had a 27.3 percent decline in scoring, 9.9 percent total yardage dip and 12.3 percent drop in passing yardage from 2015. The Jets are nowhere close to reaching the franchise-record 5,925 total yards from last season. They’re on pace for 28 touchdowns – 16 fewer than a year ago.Gailey’s unit failed to score a touchdown in 16 consecutive possessions during a stretch bridging back-to-back losses to the Steelers and Cardinals. The Jets managed just two touchdowns, including one fluke score, during a 23-drive stretch spanning three consecutive losses from Weeks 4-6.

The tipping point came during a Week 3 defeat in Kansas City. There were plenty of people on One Jets Drive unhappy with Gailey’s red-zone play-callingin a 24-3 loss to the Chiefs. Specifically, they weren’t too pleased with Gailey’s six passing plays – and no runs – from the 10-yard line and in. The result: Fitzpatrick went 1 for 6 with two interceptions in the end zone.It highlighted an eight-turnover nightmare for Bowles’ team and prompted concerns about the offensive coordinator from within the organization.

It was not Gailey’s finest hour, but it’s unfair to ignore the realities of this season, including losing Eric Decker for the bulk of it. Gailey has had to quickly incorporate a slew of rookie receivers. He’s now working with a second-year project quarterback.“You have to learn certain skill sets and learn how to utilize guys,” Fitzpatrick said. “So there was some newness there. That’s what I think he does a great job with.”

Gailey has not been able to effectively utilize Jets tight ends, which might be an indictment on the players at that position more than the man calling the plays. Decker’s loss has turned one of the best red-zone offenses into one of the worst.Gailey, of course, is ultimately responsible for all of it. He’s not a quitter, either, so any announcement of a “retirement” at the end of the season would be window dressing. He wants to continue to coach. He’ll turn 65 next month, but has the work ethic and drive of a much younger man.“He could be in Georgia playing with his grandkids, but he wanted to come back and coach,” Fitzpatrick said. “The fire and the energy are still there, for sure.”

Is Gailey really the problem? Or is he going to be nothing more than the fall guy for a lost team?

>       http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/chan-gailey-jets-sacrificial-lamb-article-1.2909578

This is Macc's fault. He resigned Fitz

21 hours ago, bitonti said:

I feel the opposite. Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells themselves couldn't get more out of this roster of bums. If the horse is glue you don't shoot the jockey. 

I'm sure you said the same thing out the 1996 Jets roster, which Parcells took from 1-15 to 9-7.

18 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't think the problem is Gaily, I think it was more poor play by the QB.

it was.. but if we play like crap again next season...  he's gone   :unsure:

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

Players > plays. Not sure what OC out there was going to scheme a productive offense for the Jets this year - particularly after Decker got hurt. Gailey in general is creative and I like his philosophy. Would like to see him get an opportunity to coach a little more talent.

Also think if you're trying to develop young QB's, you want continuity.

The defense was disappointing - not tremendously put together but I still think a situation where the whole was less than the sum of the parts. Not sure what Rodgers could have really done - but he makes more sense to me as a fall guy.

Especially if they have an opportunity to bring in an experienced DC who will allow Bowles to focus more on both sides of the ball. Having the head coach be a pseudo coordinator is not a formula for success.

Not sure it'll go down that way - but that would be my preference.

12 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Fire the special teams guy since that seems to have worked so well last year :)

The only coaching change I would make is Pepper Johnson to DC, the rest of the staff can stay for the rebuild, Mac needs s couple of decent drafts to make this an attractive job again or there will need to be more changes

Hard to build a winning culture when you fire the staff every two years

As badly as the DL is underachieving, you want to reward Pepper?

52 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Maybe his style does not fit Bowles system and that could be a good thing, this defense needs a boost and I think Johnson deserves a chance based on his career - he has had plenty of success 

OK I guess.  I sure ain't seeing any real mark on this team his leaving.

15 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I have said this once and I say it a thousand times if you want to run a basic offense with 4 wide receivers most of the game you better have a near or all pro QB. If you don't have that than you need that TE and establish the running game.  

This is a valid point.  

My question to you is in Petty's first real start he got the TE position involved more than Fitz or Geno. 

So do you in your opinion think that the lack of TE production is just a function of Gailey's schemes, the QB play or a combination of both?

People have criticized Chan in the past for not using the TE more but I tend to think that was a function of personnel.  There is no way IMO say a healthy Gronk is on this team and Chan wouldn't be throwing to him.

12 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

This is a valid point.  

My question to you is in Petty's first real start he got the TE position involved more than Fitz or Geno. 

So do you in your opinion think that the lack of TE production is just a function of Gailey's schemes, the QB play or a combination of both?

People have criticized Chan in the past for not using the TE more but I tend to think that was a function of personnel.  There is no way IMO say a healthy Gronk is on this team and Chan wouldn't be throwing to him.

This is his offense.

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Actually, I think he's going to be our head coach.

SAR I

If neither he nor anyone else working  for this team cannot impress on the players the importance of protecting the QB, they have no business being so employed. That Petty hit was a disgrace on so many levels. Disturibngly bad. 

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

If neither he nor anyone else working  for this team cannot impress on the players the importance of protecting the QB, they have no business being so employed. That Petty hit was a disgrace on so many levels. Disturibngly bad. 

1.  No other head coaching prospect or candidate will want to come here.

2.  If we are to believe that Petty or Hackenberg are our future, we can't change the playbook.

Chan Gailey, Head Coach

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

1.  No other head coaching prospect or candidate will want to come here.

2.  If we are to believe that Petty or Hackenberg are our future, we can't change the playbook.

Chan Gailey, Head Coach

SAR I

1. Not true. There are only 32 of these jobs,and they pay well. Even Woody Johnson's money is green. 

2. That's silly. The system may change, but it's football. New guy might call a bubble screen something else, big deal. it's minor details. Chan Gailey is not indispensable. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jets OC Chan Gailey fuels speculation about future with cryptic remark

Chan Gailey, who turns 65 next week, said he still enjoys coaching but stopped short of saying he wants to coach the Jets in 2017. AP Photo/Julio Cortez

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Chan Gailey sounded like a man who doesn't expect to be back with the New York Jets.

In his final news conference of the season, the Jets' offensive coordinator, who turns 65 next week, said he still enjoys coaching. But he stopped short of saying he wants to coach the Jets in 2017.

"I've always loved to coach, I’ve always loved to do that," he said Thursday. "I think it’s in my blood. I think it’ll be there until I go to the grave."Asked specifically he wants to return to the Jets' staff, Gailey replied, "I said I love football and that I love to coach. I always love to coach. That’s all I said."He described this year as "unsettling," the most difficult season in his coaching career. Maybe he already knows he will be fired. Or maybe he's planning to retire.

If Todd Bowles survives the season, which is expected, he will make changes to his staff. Count on it. Fair or not, a team that endures this type of season usually shakes up the staff. Gailey has presided over one of the worst units in the league, so he could be the sacrificial lamb even though the defensive performance has been more egregious than that of the offense.A year ago, the Jets were 10th (total yards) and 11th (scoring) in the offensive rankings. This season, they're 25th and 30th, respectively. They've been held to six or fewer points in four games, the most in the league.

It's wrong to say it's Gailey's fault. He has started three different quarterbacks (none of whom has played well), he lost wide receiver Eric Decker early in the year and his offensive line is down to only one original starter. It's bleak.Gailey was lured out of retirement by Bowles in January of 2015, and his first season as the coordinator was fantastic. Reunited, Gailey and Ryan Fitzpatrick formed a smart and seasoned playcaller-quarterback tandem. Fitzpatrick set the franchise record with 31 touchdown passes, but he has bottomed out this year.

"Everybody’s physical skills wane with years once you reach your peak," Gailey said of Fitzpatrick. "He still has lots of skills. Are they what they were the first time I saw him? No, they’re not."

Some might be wondering the same thing about Gailey.

"I probably didn’t get totally dumb in one year," he said. "You have to keep up. You have to change. You have to adjust. I think we’ve done that fairly well through the years. How do you know? You think so, but you don’t know."

>        http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66022/jets-oc-chan-gailey-fuels-speculation-about-future-with-cryptic-remark

Jets' offense fell apart in 2016, so the Chan Gailey watch commences

Chan Gailey's offense ranked 26th in yards per game (329.3) and 30th in points per game (17.2). AP Photo/Seth Wenig

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets have employed four offensive coordinators in the last six seasons, hardly a great track record. Will they go for five in seven?The future of Chan Gailey is one of the biggest questions surrounding the team. On Monday, he didn't receive a vote of confidence from coach Todd Bowles, who declined to answer questions about individual coaches and players.

Bowles was asked point-blank if he wants Gailey on his 2017 staff.

"I think Chan is a hell of a coach, that's why I hired him in the first place," Bowles said. "Going forward, we'll sit down and have a private discussion and we'll go from there."Asked to evaluate Gailey's performance, Bowles said: "I don't think he did very well. I don't think I did very well. I don't think any coach did very well with our record."

The Jets finished 5-11, and the offense was ranked 30th in scoring and 26th in total yards. In 2015, they were 11th and 10th, respectively, in those categories. Injuries played a role in the collapse. The only position that didn't sustain any major injuries was running back.

Gailey is a well-respected coach, but the offense will be in transition in terms of personnel and Bowles may feel this is a good time to bring in a new voice with a different philosophy. Gailey is a pass-minded coach who spreads the field with wide receivers and doesn't feature the tight end. In two years under Gailey, the tight end production has been the worst in the league, not even close. They started using the tight end more in recent weeks, with an urging from Bowles.

On Sunday, Gailey declined to comment on his future with the team. Last week, he said he still loves coaching, but he stopped short of saying he wants to return with the Jets. He turns 65 next week.

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66137/jets-offense-fell-apart-in-2016-so-the-chan-gailey-watch-commences

The New York Jets' coaching-staff shake-up is underway.

Chan Gailey, who served as Todd Bowles' offensive coordinator the past two seasons, announced his retirement Tuesday. His departure was anticipated.

Gailey, in a statement released by the team, said he informed Bowles before the start of the season that this would be his final year. Gailey will turn 65 on Thursday.In addition, Bowles fired five position coaches: Kevin Patullo (quarterbacks), Marcel Shipp (running backs), Pepper Johnson (defensive line), Mark Collins (outside linebackers) and Joe Danna (defensive backs).

More changes could happen. For now, defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers and special-teams coordinator Brant Boyer remain.

In 2017, the Jets will have their fifth offensive coordinator in seven years.

Gailey came under fire this season as the offense sank to 26th in yards per game and 30th in scoring. The Jets started three different quarterbacks: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith and Bryce Petty.In 2015, Gailey coordinated an offense that amassed a franchise-record 5,925 yards and scored 387 points, the most in a Jets season since 1998. Fitzpatrick set a franchise record with 31 touchdown passes.

This season, Fitzpatrick and Gailey weren't able to duplicate their success. Fitzpatrick, who signed a one-year, $12 million contract in July after a long holdout, threw 17 interceptions and was benched twice."I informed Coach Bowles prior to the 2016 season that I would retire after this season," Gailey said Tuesday in his statement. "I thought it was best to tell him early, so that he could begin to think about how he would move the team forward on offense."

Gailey dropped hints last week in his final news conference. He talked about his love of coaching, but he stopped short of saying he wanted to return in 2017.

Bowles lured Gailey out of retirement two years ago -- a surprise hire on his first staff."I'm grateful to Chan for joining our coaching staff and enjoyed working with him," Bowles said. "The respect that I have for him as a person and a coach only increased during our time together."

Patullo, Shipp, Johnson, Collins and Danna each served on Bowles' staff for the past two years.

>   http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18400965/chan-gailey-new-york-jets-retires-5-other-assistants-fired

cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Statement from Jets OC Chan Gailey: "I informed Coach Bowles prior to the 2016 season that I would retire after this season. I thought it was best to tell him early, so that he could begin to think about how he would move the team forward on offense. While we did not have the season we all wanted to have, I think there are some great people here at the Jets and in the New York/New Jersey area. I wish them all the best moving forward."

Archived