Revis: I'm an All-Time Jet and Should Be Treated With Class

C Mart

Just now, SMC said:

There's a bit of disconnect between the fans who say Revis is a HOFer and the realities of why players get voted in. The DPOY snub highlights it.

The writers chose Woodson over Revis because Woodson had better stats. So how are the HOF voters, many of the same writers who chose Woodson over Revis because of the stats, going to overlook Revis' lack of stats and enshrine him in Canton?

I'm not saying there is no way Revis gets in but based on past voting for HOF CBS Revis' candidacy doesn't meet that bar.

It's an interesting case. He's got 4 All Pro selections which I think is second all time for a CB. But the raw stats are pretty low.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, SMC said:

There's a bit of disconnect between the fans who say Revis is a HOFer and the realities of why players get voted in. The DPOY snub highlights it.

The writers chose Woodson over Revis because Woodson had better stats. So how are the HOF voters, many of the same writers who chose Woodson over Revis because of the stats, going to overlook Revis' lack of stats and enshrine him in Canton?

I'm not saying there is no way Revis gets in but based on past voting for HOF CBs  Revis' candidacy doesn't meet that bar.

I'll be honest, 30+ years of following sports religiously and I have no clue how writers evaluate anything in any sport. Klecko not being in is preposterous.  In baseball you've got guys who voted against Greg Maddux for ****'s sake. I think anyone who says Revis is a lock for Canton simply doesn't pay attention enough. It's not a question of if it's deserved, it's what do the voters think and the guys that vote do this sh*t by the seat of their pants with no rhyme or reason to anything. 

14 minutes ago, SMC said:

I'm not saying there is no way Revis gets in but based on past voting for HOF CBs  Revis' candidacy doesn't meet that bar.

Exactly, this becomes even more of the case when you have a guy like Revis who is clearly wrapping up his career with multiple seasons of disappointment, and then another 5 years after he's retired before he's even eligible for induction.  His best years, without any statistical support to them, will be nothing more than a distant memory to the voters by then.  The one thing that could help him is the amount of credit he was given for the Pats' last ring, but he's far from a lock into the hall.

I hate this guy.  His whole career has been about his "contract".  I understand players look to get paid BUT he has never shown any love of being a Jet....ever.  he held out all the time, he hasn't cared that his play has dropped off the past 2 years, and he didn't care when he played for the Bucs and Pats as long as he got paid

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

Call me crazy but I think Revis will be back next year. On a reworked contract.

At a loss how anyone expects he can play safety effectively when he shies away from contact the last 2 years.

Perhaps this contract can FINALLY teach this franchise not to overpay for the past. 

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

At a loss how anyone expects he can play safety effectively when he shies away from contact the last 2 years.

Perhaps this contract can FINALLY teach this franchise not to overpay for the past. 

Most Jet fans wanted him back to be fair.  In fact they were complaining when he wasn't resigned right away

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

I hate this guy.  His whole career has been about his "contract".  I understand players look to get paid BUT he has never shown any love of being a Jet....ever.  he held out all the time, he hasn't cared that his play has dropped off the past 2 years, and he didn't care when he played for the Bucs and Pats as long as he got paid

Average career is 3 years or less. I have no problem at all with any and every players getting every last dollar from a system designed to screw them over. Salary caps are BS. These supposed otherwise great businessmen who own NFL teams do not become idiots with their checkbooks.It's designed to drag down the price of labor in an industry that often grinds them into dirt despite making billions. They barely have a post-career medical plan. And their own union hasn't figured out that for most of their membership that would be something way more important than free agency. 

But that's the same reason you have to have a smart GM and an owner who doesn't get sentimental and weepy over past performance. 

“Will I be back? That’s a great question. My thing would be this: Do the New York Jets want to treat my situation with class or no class? With me being one of the best players in the history of this franchise, do they want me to retire here or not retire here?

“That’s the biggest question. It’s black and white. It’s not very complicated.”

tumblr_misj7oE8SI1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Back in the old days, we called that a "no show job" that one of your connections would get for you.  Guys like Tony Soprano.

Funny thing about Revis is Uncle Sean's basically the last guy left. He fired his friend from HS, fired his agents...and is now burning the bridge with the Jets.

28 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

“Will I be back? That’s a great question. My thing would be this: Do the New York Jets want to treat my situation with class or no class? With me being one of the best players in the history of this franchise, do they want me to retire here or not retire here?

“That’s the biggest question. It’s black and white. It’s not very complicated.”

tumblr_misj7oE8SI1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

Ha, yup.  I'd be inclined to work out something with the guy if possible.  Like a 3 year 15mil deal with incentives or something.  Maybe discuss a move to Safety or whatever to get quality production.

But if he said some $hit like that at the negotiating table, I'd kick his classless @ss out of the building.  

Humble yourself 24.  You've played like a joke this season.  Mofo needs to decide if he's gonna finish his career with class or as a prick.

23 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

He made 130 million and is known for the holdouts as well as his play on the field, the sad thing is the holdouts did not earn him that much more, maybe 5-6 million? 16 instead of 14 for a couple of years until the pat* evened it out at 12,  not sure that changes his lifestyle or that of his children

how hard was 10 years 120 million after his rookie contract? I bet there are many posts here saying just that - that would have made him an all time Jet, and generated millions more, uncle Sean was not the big picture mentor Revis needed - seems like he gets that now

Yes, he would have been a legend in NY - kind of person that would be treated with reverence wherever he went, forever!.  The type of adoration he seems to want now.  He's not going to get that (there are some here that believe he should) but many that don't.  

As a New England fan we appreciated his help in winning the Super Bowl, the correct decision was made not to resign him.

Consider this, when will the Jets organization restructure it self to eliminate the possibility of signing over the hill over paid free agents?

Happy New Year to all.

Archived