Mike Maccagnan declines to apologize to fans for Jets miserable season

joewilly12

Mike Maccagnan declines to apologize to fans for Jets' miserable season

Mike Maccagnan
New York Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan was pressed for an apology during a Friday radio interview. (AP Photo | Mel Evans)

During a Friday morning appearance on WFAN's "Boomer and Carton," Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan declined to apologize to fans for a miserable 5-11 season in 2016.

Maccagnan was pressed for an apology by co-host Craig Carton, who is a vocal Jets fan. And while Maccagnan did say he was disappointed by the season (his second with the organization), he did not issue a formal apology. 

"We're frustrated, probably like the fans are," Maccagnan calmly said. "It hurts us, just like it hurts them, when we lose games. We obviously feel the pain and frustration of the season like the Jets fans do. We knew, coming in, that it was going to be a process and may take some time [to turn the Jets around].

"We are committed to getting this thing turned around. We will do everything in our power to get this thing turned around. We wish the outcome of this season wasn't what it was. We're not happy how the season turned out." 

Look, this is semantics ... and not at all surprising. Would you rather have Maccagnan groveling and apologizing on sports talk radio, or actually putting together a winning team? 

Some fans obviously want both, but everybody can agree that the latter (Maccagnan's action) is more important than the former (his words). 

8 Jets cuts, to create $54 million in cap space

8 Jets cuts, to create $54 million in cap space

A rundown here.

The bottom line for Maccagnan: If quarterback Christian Hackenberg fails, after Maccagnan drafted him in Round 2 last year, then Maccagnan is probably finished with the Jets, sooner rather than later. 

And that still would've been the case if Maccagnan gave in to Carton badgering him for an apology Friday. 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

:rolleyes:

Fans need to be apologized too, special little snowflakes they are?

If you don't like the team, don't watch, don't buy tickets.

No one owes you an apology snowflake.

Suck it up buttercup, I didn't ask him for an apology. 

Maccagnan was pressed for an apology by co-host Craig Carton,

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Suck it up buttercup, I didn't ask him for an apology. 

Maccagnan was pressed for an apology by co-host Craig Carton,

You didn't read the article, did you? The writer says it's semantics even though his editor gave the article a click bait title. 

I was listening this morning - Carton was being tongue in cheek with his questions, repeatedly asking Mac questions that he knew Mac would not answer. (ie - why didn't you demand Hackenberg started week 16?' & 'Why was it more important for Bowles to finish 5-11 vs 4-12'?)

At the end of the interview he gave Mac an open floor to address the Jets fans and their frustration. After Mac talked for about 30 seconds about the disappointment of last year and how they're working to right the ship, Carton then butted in to ask for an actual apology to Jets fans. Mac didn't bite despite Carton asking two or three times. 

After Mac was off the line, Carton actually claimed respect that Mac didn't bow down and offer an apology... just because he asks Mac to do something doesn't mean he should do it - something to that effect. A non story with a click bait headline.

14 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

You didn't read the article, did you? The writer says it's semantics even though his editor gave the article a click bait title. 

Carton pressed him for an apology a friend of mine listened to the show live Macc refused to take responsibility for the failure season. 

Macc seems like he's full of himself so far I'm not impressed. 

The bottom line for Maccagnan: If quarterback Christian Hackenberg fails, after Maccagnan drafted him in Round 2 last year, then Maccagnan is probably finished with the Jets, sooner rather than later. 

A lot of reports out the last few days of a lot of failure surrounding the NY Jets the team finished 5-11 with many problems all season long yet fans still defend failure and badger those who write articles or live broadcasters who pressure management. 

If Woody,Maccagnan,Bowles and staff and players aren't accountable and responsible for failures and a miserable season then who is. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Carton pressed him for an apology a friend of mine listened to the show live Macc refused to take responsibility for the failure season. 

Macc seems like he's full of himself so far I'm not impressed. 

Your friend told you, eh?

Lol.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

A lot of reports out the last few days of a lot of failure surrounding the NY Jets the team finished 5-11 with many problems all season long yet fans still defend failure and badger those who write articles or live broadcasters who pressure management. 

If Woody,Maccagnan,Bowles and staff and players aren't accountable and responsible for failures and a miserable season then who is. 

They are responsible. The **** are you babbling about? I see you found some commas though. They need some space, but good to see them anyway.

I have officially changed my opinion of Maccagnan based upon these interviews, if one can call a session where someone talks and says absolutely nothing an interview that is. Screw apologies, you can apologize to a guy that you just ran over with your truck, what does that solve? I want some god damn information as to the rationale of what is going on now after the season has ended.  Ok we had a bad season, everyone (except NE) has bad seasons, I can accept that for the most part, however, I want to know why a 2nd round pick was excluded from getting reps with the team all season long, especially when the team was hopelessly out of the playoffs. I want to know why the HC, DC and STC are allowed to continue here after putting forth no effort, and doing an absolutely terrible job this season, the HC in particular is so out of his league it is commical. What I don't get is us fans see it, the media sees it, former NFL coaches and execs see it, but these idiots don't see it? Listening to Maccagnan is like listening to a used car salesman, it is so damned frustrating, he says nothing and acts as though this last season was no big deal, oh "we are all disappointed" yada yada yada. How about some god damned honesty and remorse for taking peoples hard earned money to watch this sewage every week? These guys (Mac & Woody) come off as though they are doing the fans and media a favor by speaking to us and I am so totally sick of it.

I am sick of losing and sick of rooting for and supporting an organization that sh*ts all over its paying customers at every turn.

Just now, Jet9 said:

They are responsible. The **** are you babbling about? I see you found some commas though. They need some space, but good to see them anyway.

I wasn't replying to you.what's your problem dude. 

I didn't write the article and I didn't interview Macc. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

I wasn't replying to you.what's your problem dude. 

I didn't write the article and I didn't interview Macc. 

My problem is you tard this board up daily and post from a very misinformed perspective. I can see you still haven't read the article. 

1 minute ago, ASH1962 said:

I have officially changed my opinion of Maccagnan based upon these interviews, if one can call a session where someone talks and says absolutely nothing an interview that is. Screw apologies, you can apologize to a guy that you just ran over with your truck, what does that solve? I want some god damn information as to the rationale of what is going on now after the season has ended.  Ok we had a bad season, everyone (except NE) has bad seasons, I can accept that for the most part, however, I want to know why a 2nd round pick was excluded from getting reps with the team all season long, especially when the team was hopelessly out of the playoffs. I want to know why the HC, DC and STC are allowed to continue here after putting forth no effort, and doing an absolutely terrible job this season, the HC in particular is so out of his league it is commical. What I don't get is us fans see it, the media sees it, former NFL coaches and execs see it, but these idiots don't see it? Listening to Maccagnan is like listening to a used car salesman, it is so damned frustrating, he says nothing and acts as though this last season was no big deal, oh "we are all disappointed" yada yada yada. How about some god damned honesty and remorse for taking peoples hard earned money to watch this sewage every week? These guys (Mac & Woody) come off as though they are doing the fans and media a favor by speaking to us and I am so totally sick of it.

I am sick of losing and sick of rooting for and supporting an organization that sh*ts all over its paying customers at every turn.

there are 31 other teams just waiting for you to show up and root for them :D

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

I read it before I posted it. 

My opinion is different from yours. 

Move along, 

Ok I'll move along. Ah sh*t, you're in that thread...and that one...and that one....and that one.... Leaving a trail of sh*te grammar and incoherent drivel scattered about. 

11 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

My problem is you tard this board up daily and post from a very misinformed perspective. I can see you still haven't read the article. 

Easy solution for you sunshine put me on ignore instead of posting drivel back at me over factual news articles further tarding up the board. 

Please go root for someone else. Maybe a team you don't hate. I suggest the Cheaters.

Archived