Integrity28

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Bottom line: Pats pay him 10m = Great signing

Jets pay him 12m = Overpay

Who cares.

The reason why those that hate this idea hate it is because it doesn't fit they tank and get everyone fired storyline . Some of these folks would rather see this team lose, have everyone be fired, than win and the people who current run this team keep their jobs because those people don't run the franchise or the team the way these fans would .

This guy is a young Superbowl winning talent at a position the Jets need to upgrade and he would be just that . The Jets could go 0-16 next yr and I would care less . The thing is thou, I hope to see them play well and try to win every single game   To do that, the players on this team have to be better than the players on the team last yr.

Thus far, IMO, they are .

Just now, NoBowles said:

There is no double standard at all, and the Jets are "allowed" to do whatever they want. It doesn't change the fact that they are in completely different positions and the two are not equatable in any way shape or form.

Of course it's a double standard. Pats waste money on a LB - Fans and media "GREAT MOVE!"

Jets waste money on a LB- Fans and media "BOO! OVERPAY"

No matter what positions the two teams are in, I find it to be unfair

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Of course it's a double standard. Pats waste money on a LB - Fans and media "GREAT MOVE!"

Your entitled to your opinion, I just don't agree with it. If the Jets were in a position where they were competing for a SB this year, I dont think one fan or media would say Boo! Overpay. Even more so when you have an all time great QB who is 40, and has probably 2-3 years left in the league. 

2 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Your entitled to your opinion, I just don't agree with it. If the Jets were in a position where they were competing for a SB this year, I dont think one fan or media would say Boo! Overpay. Even more so when you have an all time great QB who is 40, and has probably 2-3 years left in the league. 

I think you underestimate this fanbase and this media. But we agree to disagree

9 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Sounds like someone doesn't have what it takes to root for a rebuilding team.

17 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

No I understand it. I just don't find it to be fair. Why are the Pats allowed to waste money and the Jets aren't? That doesn't seem just to me.

As for the Bachelor, that was the first time I had seen the finale of the Bachelor since the early-mid 2000s. They won't last 3 weeks

Your opinion here and in subsequent posts proves you don't.  It's not a double standard, it's that the Pats are competing for a championship and the Jets are not.  Further, it's not even logically consistent with the "proper rebuild" you've been menstruating on about.

The only thing consistent is you whining about "scum of the NFL" Jets fans on a Jets fan site.  Hence, why tweeting about the Bachelor is more your speed.

3 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

PFF. Just a bunch of nerds in lab coats that have never played a down in their lives.

Nerds in lab coats who have never played a down of football are the reason you can look like an idiot on the internet.

1 minute ago, Butterfield said:

If they are willing to pay him this much money, I think they must see hightower as more than just a ilb.  They must see him as a 2 down thumper who is going to blitz alot as a 3rd down player. 

At 3.4 sacks per season, I hope that isn't a strategy.

I think the Jets view Hightower as a player in his prime who is a proven winner. They think he can bring the defense together as a leader. The Jets lacked leadership, specifically on defense last season and it showed.

Maybe their right and he can change the dynamic, but I don't know if it's worth $12mil a season.

5 minutes ago, gEYno said:

At 3.4 sacks per season, I hope that isn't a strategy.

How many sacks does OUR ILB crew have? And maybe it's not so much how many as when they come.

I find the chart persuasive, but, really, consider who he would be replacing, someone OFF THE CHARTS (Harris).

I don't find the cost prohibitive, in any case.

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Maybe their right and he can change the dynamic, but I don't know if it's worth $12mil a season.

Wow, the Jets just paid 12 million for the worst statistical QB in the league, an old LOSER and you're quibbling about 12 million for a Super Bowl winner?!

If he can help make the defense get off the field and make some plays doing it, 12 million is a pittance.

Just now, phill1c said:

How many sacks does OUR ILB crew have? And maybe it's not so much how many as when they come.

I find the chart persuasive, but, really, consider who he would be replacing, someone OFF THE CHARTS (Harris).

I don't find the cost prohibitive, in any case.

I'm not saying ILBs should have a lot of sacks, but I am responding to a point about bringing him on to be a 3rd down pass rusher.

Again, Hightower would be an improvement, that's not what's in question.  The question is really, how much value is there at ILB, and how much better off are you with Hightower at 27 and 12M per year vs. a draft pick at 22 at 300K per year.  How many wins do you think this ILB adds?

Those who oppose the move are simply arguing that there's much smarter ways to invest our resources than a 27 year old ILB, especially after drafting on in the 1st round.

10 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I'm not saying ILBs should have a lot of sacks, but I am responding to a point about bringing him on to be a 3rd down pass rusher.

Again, Hightower would be an improvement, that's not what's in question.  The question is really, how much value is there at ILB, and how much better off are you with Hightower at 27 and 12M per year vs. a draft pick at 22 at 300K per year.  How many wins do you think this ILB adds?

Those who oppose the move are simply arguing that there's much smarter ways to invest our resources than a 27 year old ILB, especially after drafting on in the 1st round.

Yeah, and I think the argument misses the big picture, seriously NO DISRESPECT INTENDED.

The notion is not just that Hightower is "an improvement". It's about changing the culture. Here would be A PROVEN WINNER on that defense, a player here to prove himself, a player with inside knowledge of your most important opponent. A player that simultaneously weakens your opponent and improves  your team.

The Jets are in a favorable cap situation and this signing wouldn't significantly hurt that position in the short term--and we know that everything in the NFL is short term.

As far as these "much smarter ways" you mention for investing resources, none of the naysayers has offered a single one. So, call me skeptical of their strategic thinking. IMO, these are just people that would only agree to a move to sign Mike Glennon, an unproven backup (actually, he's a proven backup), for more money than a guy who provides all the benefits above because they feel he'd be "overpaid'. Well OF COURSE the Jets are going to have to overpay. Nobody worth a sh!t is going to come here for a rebuild without some cash incentive above and beyond market value.

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If you're that hard-up for an ILB, draft Reuben Foster.

Then spend the $12m a year on a legit OT or CB... oh wait, they're all signed elsewhere? Oh no. 

Jetsy as Jetsy gets.

Yep. Going after to big name FA to show the fans how hard they are trying. 

If this is the case and the Jets are willing to over pay Hightower, the Jets made a huge mistake, and not over paying Perry instead, edge rush OLB is such a bigger need on this team then a thumping ILB, IDK if Perry gave the Jets a chance to over pay him, but if communications were open between the Jets, and his agent they should have let it be known they were willing to pay up for his services, and leave Hightower alone IMO.

4 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Yeah, and I think the argument misses the big picture, seriously NO DISRESPECT INTENDED.

The notion is not just that Hightower is "an improvement". It's about changing the culture. Here would be A PROVEN WINNER on that defense, a player here to prove himself, a player with inside knowledge of your most important opponent. A player that simultaneously weakens your opponent and improves  your team.

The Jets are in a favorable cap situation and this signing wouldn't significantly hurt that position in the short term--and we know that everything in the NFL is short term.

As far as these "much smarter ways" you mention for investing resources, none of the naysayers has offered a single one. So, call me skeptical of their strategic thinking. IMO, these are just people that would only agree to a move to sign Mike Glennon, an unproven backup (actually, he's a proven backup), for more money than a guy who provides all the benefits above because they feel he'd be "overpaid'. Well OF COURSE the Jets are going to have to overpay. Nobody worth a sh!t is going to come here for a rebuild without some cash incentive above and beyond market value.

Hightower is far from the first former Patriot we've signed, with the same good intentions, and yet, we still remain their JV squad at best.  We've also brought in "proven winners" before, with limited success.

Here's a strategy, draft an ILB in the 5th round.  Save the money now, and use it towards extending our guys the future.  Cap money rolls over.  This reminds me of my wife everytime there's a sale at Bloomingdales... Just because something is available, doesn't mean you ought to buy it.  We don't need to be spenders now.

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Hightower is far from the first former Patriot we've signed, with the same good intentions, and yet, we still remain their JV squad at best.  We've also brought in "proven winners" before, with limited success.

Here's a strategy, draft an ILB in the 5th round.  Save the money now, and use it towards extending our guys the future.  Cap money rolls over.  This reminds me of my wife everytime there's a sale at Bloomingdales... Just because something is available, doesn't mean you ought to buy it.  We don't need to be spenders now.

If we want to be legit, we should be focused on finding the guys about to become the next Patriots... like Rex Burkhead, as the most recent example... and not on the guys who used to be Patriots. Then hire coaches that know how to scheme to player strengths.

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

RELAX 

The problem, at this point, isn't whether or not he picks the Jets.  It's that (if the reporting has been accurate thus far) Macc thinks it's a good idea.  Because, Hightower is just the current incantation of this mistake.  There will be others.

52 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Nerds in lab coats who have never played a down of football are the reason you can look like an idiot on the internet.

Eh, not impressed by them. You can be a computer geek and still put on pads.

29 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Wow, the Jets just paid 12 million for the worst statistical QB in the league, an old LOSER and you're quibbling about 12 million for a Super Bowl winner?!

If he can help make the defense get off the field and make some plays doing it, 12 million is a pittance.

OK, I'll bite....... I think the Jets need a CB a lot more than an ILB. How many deep balls did we give up again last year? We should have pursued one of the major CBs in free agency and looked to Reuben Foster at ILB if we see ILB as a major point of need.

Lattimore will most likely be off the board and the Jets go safety/pass rusher/QB..... Ok, so now what do we do to stop wide receivers? We lost several games last year purely because we couldn't cover ANYBODY - does Hightower fix that? Does he get enough sacks to make an impact against the pass? His numbers don't show that.

Like I said, I really like the player... but at $12mil a season, he better be a major difference maker.

14 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Ok, so which of the former Patriots we've signed are you comparing Hightower to? Without concrete examples to compare this possible signing to, the statement seems lacking in substance.

The strategy you claim to have seems based solely on saving money. Isn't that the Idzik strategy? Don't field a team because it costs a lot?!

I think we're way too far away to come to any agreement on this one. Godspeed.

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

OK, I'll bite....... I think the Jets need a CB a lot more than an ILB. How many deep balls did we give up again last year? We should have pursued one of the major CBs in free agency and looked to Reuben Foster at ILB if we see ILB as a major point of need.

Lattimore will most likely be off the board and the Jets go safety/pass rusher/QB..... Ok, so now what do we do to stop wide receivers? We lost several games last year purely because we couldn't cover ANYBODY - does Hightower fix that? Does he get enough sacks to make an impact against the pass? His numbers don't show that.

Like I said, I really like the player... but at $12mil a season, he better be a major difference maker.

12 million vs. what? 8 million? The Jets have almost 30 million free or more. So what difference is a 4 million dollar overpayment going to make? The Jets lost a lot of games because they were in the wrong defense, out of position, and generally dysfunctional. I think having a proven winner, if he would decide to come onboard, addresses a lot of the dysfunction and lack of motivation that last years old and unmotivated defense displayed. But, true, he is just one player. But the other positions can be addressed in the draft and free agency, even if Hightower were to claim 12 million of that cap money. we spent over 30 million last year on over-the-hill losers. This is a proven winner. I think that's worth more than 12 million.

23 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

RELAX 

This has to be right.  All the smoke blowing from the media on this one makes no sense.

Have him in to talk?  FIne.

Make him the highest paid ILB in the NFL on a team with FAR more glaring needs?  No thanks.

13 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The problem, at this point, isn't whether or not he picks the Jets.  It's that (if the reporting has been accurate thus far) Macc thinks it's a good idea.  Because, Hightower is just the current incantation of this mistake.  There will be others.

GMing should not be judged by individual moves that are made or not made. It should be judged on a totality of an off season, and ultimately the record and impetus it has to the squad.

I realize the collective genius here is great, but the want to critique very minuscule action by itself is rather tedious. 

Archived