My Thoughts-3/13/17

varjet

• It all starts with the QB, so we start there.  For 2017, the Jets need to field some type of veteran who has started football games.   RG III works.  Fitz works.  Geno works.  Sanchez works.   It preferably would be someone who was ok with being told that the preference was to start Petty or Hack.  There is no one now available to build around or result in games being won unncessarily-it just can't be the Bad News Jets. I think that is what the NFL tells them.
  • I think Mac has a hard time picking a QB in this draft at 6, particularly if there is a star player available.  Irony is that most drafts have the Bills at 10 and the Browns at 12 picking QBs.  If the Jets pick a QB and both Hack and that QB are good, there will be no problem trading one of them on a break even basis.  This team is not ready to pick a RB at 6.   I don't know whether Foster is a scheme fit.  So if Hooker, Adams, Lattimore and Williams are gone, maybe the Jets go QB.  A trade down would be nice.
  • The Patriots must think that Brady days are numbered.   I don't understand how they run their defense without Collins and HIghtower.
  • Given where the Jets are, paying Hightower big money does not appear to make great sense.  Would rather have Brown or Minter.  They are 3-4 year bridges.
  • The Browns getting Osweiler's contract for a 2nd round draft pick shows how DePodesta values that pick.  He was basically willing to pay Osweiller's contract for it.  I think it will be hard for anyone to give a real pick for SR.   The Jets should not give a real pick for a bridge QB.   This also applies to whether someone gives up a draft pick for Romo, or Simean, or McCarron.
  • The Browns, who are trying to build right, did invest in a FA OL.  That fits with the Jets' plan too.  
  • SR will not be a part of the Jets long-term future.  His 2017 cap space can be used on someone who will, this year or next.  At this point almost anything is worth getting someone to take his contract-the Jets may have to pay someone to do it.  At this point no one will want the Browns to make them look bad.  I guess he can play well, win us a game or two and lower draft pick, and the Jets can get a comp pick in 2019, but given what someone will pay for him, that may not necessarily be even a 3rd Rounder.  He is a one year rental for a team that wants to make the SB-Mac should be able to find someone willing to take him.  
  • How many draft picks/how much cap space has been squandered by Idzik/Mac tor temporary solutions?  Alot.
  • Yes, the Jets have drafted defense almost every year in the first round since whenever.  But that is where the players are this year, and quite frankly if they got a QB their offense looks better than the defense despite all of those picks.  The Jets have drafted horribly over the last 10 years.
  • Why do the Jets keep looking at Saints' RBs?

Fitz, Geno and Sanchez do not work.  What you want in a backup QB is minimal drama and mentorship to the youth.  None of those guys provide that.  They are each among the five worst possible choices.

3-4 years is not a bridge in the NFL.  It is an entire career.  The only place where you get a "bridge" player is QB.  That is because you need someone capable of running an offense to evaluate the rest of the team.  

They don't need to pay anyone to take Richardson's $8M.  I am pretty sure the option is only guaranteed for injury.  They should be able to cut him at any time. 

1 hour ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Lmao @having to pay someone to take Richardsons contract.   

Richardson should not be on the Jets Opening Day 2017 Roster.

Do the Jets GIVE a pick for someone to take him?  No.  But let's see what they do get.  I am not optimistic.

2 hours ago, varjet said:
  • It all starts with the QB, so we start there.  For 2017, the Jets need to field some type of veteran who has started football games.   RG III works.  Fitz works.  Geno works.  Sanchez works.   It preferably would be someone who was ok with being told that the preference was to start Petty or Hack.  There is no one now available to build around or result in games being won unncessarily-it just can't be the Bad News Jets. I think that is what the NFL tells them.

1780549-shakehead.gif

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1780549-shakehead.gif

I don't get the fixation with having some sh!tty veteran QB taking up a roster spot "because he has experience." There's this myth that you need a vet to teach the young guys how to play. It's bullsh*t. You hire position coaches to do that. 

Trade for a young QB with upside, or draft one, and let the three kids battle it out in camp. If one does well, you have a QB for the forseeable future. If not, you'll be picking early in the draft the following year to bring in the next guy to try out.

Don't waste time or money on some dead end player who will serve as nothing more than a crutch for the head coach if he feels his job is in jeopardy. 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

It all starts with the QB, so we start there.  For 2017, the Jets need to field some type of veteran who has started football games.   RG III works.  Fitz works.  Geno works.  Sanchez works.   It preferably would be someone who was ok with being told that the preference was to start Petty or Hack.  There is no one now available to build around or result in games being won unncessarily-it just can't be the Bad News Jets. I think that is what the NFL tells them.

Fitz does not work its been proven. 

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They could have cut him right up until Thursday.  They are sure as sh*t aren't giving something up to get someone to take the contract. 

Salary is guaranteed. Cutting him means they have to eat 8mil. 

1. If the Jets are doing a true re-build and are not able to trade Richardson, they don't nec. need that 8 mil in cap space to sign other players. They simply don't. Revis will get let go and Gilchrist (due to injury) probably will as well. There's nobody out there in FA that they will want to go for that will cost so much that those extra 8 mil will tip the balance. So they may as well keep Richardson if they cannot find a trade partner. Then let him walk and hope for a decent comp pick. 

2. If the Jets are trying to remain somewhat competitive (which it doesn't look like they are), then, again, if the are unable to find a trade partner, it just makes sense to keep Richardson b/c he will probably put in a lot of effort in a contract year and play well. Then let him walk and hope for a decent comp pick. Again, there is nobody in FA that they seem to want, who they can't afford b/c of the 8mil that Richardson is getting.   

Any way you slice it, if the Jets cannot find decent value for Richardson, it makes sense to keep him and let him walk next year. It does not make sense to cut him, it does not make sense to trade him for peanuts, and it certainly does not makes sense to give up a draft pick for someone to take his contract-LOL. 

I think we will see Macc cut more overpriced vets and bring in more cheaper vets (bargain basement FAs) on short term deals to replace them. Revis, Gilchrist, Harris, maybe Skrine and Decker (but financially it makes less sense to cut those two) could all be cut-or traded, depending on how FA and the draft wrap up. I think there's even a possibility Skrine and Pryor get cut just based off poor play leading up to the season. Especially if the Jets draft Hooker or Adams and they look good in training camp.  

So far Macc fortified the O-line with W.Johnson, Beachum, Winters and Ijalana. That is critical for the development of a young QB, the Jets HAD to fill the holes created by Mangold and Clady. I think they will be fine at depth and RT between Shell, Qvale, Ijalana and most likely a rookie, as well as Watts and Dozier.

I think Macc will go after Chase Daniels now that he got cut. A cheap vet that will not expect to walk in and start, rather will create true competition between Hack, Petty and himself. It may not be pretty, or it may be a revelation, but it will certainly tell us where both Hack and Petty are in their development. We NEED to know. There's a chance Macc drafts a QB, but IMO that is unlikely.    

This will be a young, cheap team with veterans rounding it out- mostly on short-term contracts. Obviously, there will be some holdovers from last year. I don't expect the Jets to be very good. But they could be anywhere between a 2 to an 8 or 9 win team. You never know. People that are hoping for us to tank will just have to deal with the possibility of our young players taking the next step and gelling with the vets- leading to wins. 

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Salary is guaranteed. Cutting him means they have to eat 8mil.  

Salary is guaranteed now.  It wasn't last Wednesday.  If they don't want him now, why did they want him on March 8th? 

So far Macc fortified the O-line with W.Johnson, Beachum, Winters and Ijalana. That is critical for the development of a young QB, the Jets HAD to fill the holes created by Mangold and Clady. I think they will be fine at depth and RT between Shell, Qvale, Ijalana and most likely a rookie, as well as Watts and Dozier.

He fortified the O-line by cutting the LT and signing a guy who had an awful 2016?  The rest of those guys were already on the team.  They didn't fill the hole left by cutting Mangold, they signed the same borderline player they had last year.  The line was weak in 2016 and it is worse now.  

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

I don't get the fixation with having some sh!tty veteran QB taking up a roster spot "because he has experience." There's this myth that you need a vet to teach the young guys how to play. It's bullsh*t. You hire position coaches to do that. 

Trade for a young QB with upside, or draft one, and let the three kids battle it out in camp. If one does well, you have a QB for the forseeable future. If not, you'll be picking early in the draft the following year to bring in the next guy to try out.

Don't waste time or money on some dead end player who will serve as nothing more than a crutch for the head coach if he feels his job is in jeopardy. 

i agree with this. at some point they have to dance with the they brought and that means starting hack and letting the chips fall.  we could all be in for a big surprise.  i got the feeling that gailey just wasn't about to adapt very much last season so he put petty in bad situations.  hopefully morton is better able to run an offense based on the guys he has.

56 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Salary is guaranteed now.  It wasn't last Wednesday.  If they don't want him now, why did they want him on March 8th? 

He fortified the O-line by cutting the LT and signing a guy who had an awful 2016?  The rest of those guys were already on the team.  They didn't fill the hole left by cutting Mangold, they signed the same borderline player they had last year.  The line was weak in 2016 and it is worse now.  

okay so they may have to play shelly.  he's on a contract year and will probably make everyone forget why they wanted him off the team.  either that or he'll be traded.

as for the oline, clady and mangold went down with injuries. johnson played well and they apparently found a good tackle in shell.  the guards are set.  maybe shell moves to the left side and ialjalana back to the left. it takes time for a line to come together although if a team only passes or only runs they come around much faster.  and there are planty of teams that are successful even though they have injured lineman or young players.

Great post, except for the "Geno Sanchez Fitz works" thing. I would rather watch Hackenberg go 0-16, battle, get beat on, and by week 6 or 7 start to improve and show positive signs, or confirm he is incapable of playing in the NFL (as a lot of guys here (not Me) think) by the end of the season, then another year of any of that slop you mentioned, and definitely none of the oatmeal with red horseradish soup that we watched last season.

Having said that, I agree somewhat with the SR comments. I do not think we realize how much SR's stock has fallen. He is a problem. The Jets know it, the rest of the league knows it, and unfortunately, the Commissioner's office knows it. Attitude, effort, lack of (positive) leadership ability, off the field dicketry - a problem. That is really sad for a guy with such natural ability. If he wasn't a snapper head off the field and actually gave a $hit, hoes notwithstanding, think of how much he would be worth to himself in terms of dollars, or in trade, or re-signing. A young, dominant DT would easily net a first round pick and lots of $$.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Dear God thank you.

Dominator, there are many that agree on your position with the Oline, but in waek FA/draft LT year the Jets had to take a chance on Beachem, who played less than average last yearsince he cam off an injury the year before and it takes a year to recover. The line all the way accross has players starting at 27 years old or less. They are trying to build it with existing players i.e Carpenter, Johnson, Winter, draft picks Shell, and at LT FA Beachem. And they have some depth inside Dozier (Plays Guard and Center) and Watts at G as well as Igluna LT/RT and Qvale at RT. The draft hopefully nets us a good prospect at Center and maybe (Though a supposedly a weak LT draft) a LT in the 3-5 round. Then we have an overall line to potential go forwward with.  I played Oline in HS, though different than the Pros, but The line last year was not as bad as many say. The run blocking on both sides and up the middle was pretty good for the most part, but Gailey never stuck with it enough. The QBs mostly through INTs without being pressured much, and when the were pressured didn't get rid of the ball quick enough like when Geno was knowcked to IR for the season. That is on the QBs, not the line. The QB needs to properly step up in the pocket and not sit at the top of the pocket waiting for edge rushers to nail them like Fitz was doing a lot. 

Brady is 39, of course his days are numbered.  I don't think anyone can say for certain what that number is, though.  As for the defense, I'm not surprised Bill traded Chandler Jones or Jamie Collins.  Bill doesn't value the athletic freaks the way many other teams do.  On defense he is willing to pay for solid, above average but not great mid-price guys.  As much as Boston loves guys like Bruschi, Vrabel, and McGinest, no one thinks they hold a candle to the Steel Curtain.  He traded Seymour rather than pay him.  He let Ty Law go once his skills slipped.  He let Asante go.  Wilfork stayed because there is no mega-bucks market for NTs, even a guy who might go down as one of the best NTs ever.

The Hightower thing looks a lot like how Bill treated McCourty.  Let him shop around, find the best offer, then decide whether to match it.

Archived