John Ross at 6?

Matt39

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He's kidding. They're drafting a DB. Probably two of the first three picks will be DB. The other one Charles Harris.

Charlie Casserly just said Derek Barnett's the second best pass rusher in the draft. Im sure the apprentice is on him tbh

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Charlie Casserly just said Derek Barnett's the second best pass rusher in the draft. Im sure the apprentice is on him tbh

That'd be an interesting one. I guess I'd want to know if there are any good pass rushers who put up similarly meh times, though

Just now, T0mShane said:

That'd be an interesting one. I guess I'd want to know if there are any good pass rushers who put up similarly meh times, though

Heard Kirwan in the car say dont be surprised if Pittsburgh takes Jordan Willis in round 1. Considering his times and production....I dont see why he wouldnt be in play in the top 10. I dont get how these safeties are considered top 10 locks. The draft is weird.

22 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Take a look at who he got the majority of his sacks against and who Garrett got his sacks against and tell me you don't have to look at Garrett harder ?

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don't get how this is at all a surprise to people. Garrett and BArnett have been analyzed, compared and discussed against one another since their recruitment days.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Heard Kirwan in the car say dont be surprised if Pittsburgh takes Jordan Willis in round 1. Considering his times and production....I dont see why he wouldnt be in play in the top 10. I dont get how these safeties are considered top 10 locks. The draft is weird.

Whenever there's a draft with no QBs, the first two rounds become a free for all. Other than Garrett, Thomas, and Allen, every player projected to go in Round One  could be a second or third rounder in a better draft. Is Lattimore a better prospect than Quincy Wilson or Gareon Conley? Is Barnett a better prospect than Willis or Bowser? 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Whenever there's a draft with no QBs, the first two rounds become a free for all. Other than Garrett, Thomas, and Allen, every player projected to go in Round One  could be a second or third rounder in a better draft. Is Lattimore a better prospect than Quincy Wilson or Gareon Conley? Is Barnett a better prospect than Willis or Bowser? 

This is true. Im just hoping the Jets dont go chalk for the sake of it. If they take a pass rusher who athletically checks out who wasnt on anyones radar at 6, I cant go nuts.

The one thing that seems to be apparent is that all the QB's suck

6 hours ago, SenorGato said:

The guy was insanely productive in college and is my favorite WR in this class. That said, noooooooooo thanks 

Well said. If had a stud number 1 and already had a playoff caliber roster, he'd be a no brainer choice for me. But on a team filled with needs I am against using our top pick on a midget WR, even if he may be the most talented midget WR to come out of college in a long long time. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Well said. If had a stud number 1 and already had a playoff caliber roster, he'd be a no brainer choice for me. But on a team filled with needs I am against using our top pick on a midget WR, even if he may be the most talented midget WR to come out of college in a long long time. 

You cant say this and then say the Jets need to draft a safety at 6. JMO.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You cant say this and then say the Jets need to draft a safety at 6. JMO.

I am totally against drafting a safety at 6. I want offense. I want OJ Howard/Mike Williams/Fournette/Corey Davis. I know Williams and Davis are projected for the middle of the 1st, but I am confident that both will be #1 WRs in the NFL. I am more confident in Corey Davis, but he obviously needs to eventually run the 40. If he goes 4.6, that could be a problem. If he goes 4.4, then he will fly up draft boards. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I am totally against drafting a safety at 6. I want offense. I want OJ Howard/Mike Williams/Fournette/Corey Davis. I know Williams and Davis are projected for the middle of the 1st, but I am confident that both will be #1 WRs in the NFL. I am more confident in Corey Davis, but he obviously needs to eventually run the 40. If he goes 4.6, that could be a problem. If he goes 4.4, then he will fly up draft boards. 

Fournette would be a mistake. As @Sperm Edwards has alluded to- you have to take a position that you would want to give a second contract to that high. Fournette being a second contract player is unlikely just due to the position. Howard I'd be ok with as he can block and he's more athletic than basically every receiver in the draft when you factor in his size.

Just now, Matt39 said:

Fournette would be a mistake. As @Sperm Edwards has alluded to- you have to take a position that you would want to give a second contract to that high. Fournette being a second contract player is unlikely just due to the position. Howard I'd be ok with as he can block and he's more athletic than basically every receiver in the draft when you factor in his size.

I think Fournette can be here for a long time (ala Apete), but I wouldn't be upset if we passed on him for Howard or one of the WRs. Ideally, we'd be locked into the number 1 OT in the draft, but this draft doesn't have a guy valued high enough to take at 6. 

Taking Fournette in the 1st, the best available lineman in the 2nd plus a Peterman/Kelly type with our Comp pick could be a draft that you look back on and realize we just built ourselves an offense. 

20 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think Fournette can be here for a long time (ala Apete), but I wouldn't be upset if we passed on him for Howard or one of the WRs. Ideally, we'd be locked into the number 1 OT in the draft, but this draft doesn't have a guy valued high enough to take at 6. 

Taking Fournette in the 1st, the best available lineman in the 2nd plus a Peterman/Kelly type with our Comp pick could be a draft that you look back on and realize we just built ourselves an offense. 

I'm a Fournette fan. I love watching big, powerful running backs truck little guys into the turf.  But the kid runs very hard into everyone and will not have a long career in the NFL imo. I LOVE his style, but if you want me to take him on my team in the middle of a rebuild....hard pass.  He might burn as hot and fast as Natrone Means....who is my gold standard for how I want to see backs attack defenders. That vicious psycho tried to ram a hole through defenders chests on every play. He broke out his 2nd year and then just broke down year after year from then on out.

Enjoy.

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

Are we starting a track team? Before the combine his name wouldn't even be in the 1st round much less top 10.

I'd rather waste the pick on a TE. 

West coast bias. Ross was on the radar way before the combine. He was unstoppable this year.

14 hours ago, varjet said:

I think the 6th pick needs to be an everydown All Pro player.  From this draft, that should be obtainable.

Adams

Hooker

Howard

Even Solomon Thomas if they reconfigure the defense.

Trubisky if first 3 are gone.

I agree.  Either one of the top three and I'm ecstatic.  With Thomas there's just something about him that scares me.  

51 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

West coast bias. Ross was on the radar way before the combine. He was unstoppable this year.

I lived in Seattle I'm well aware of him. He had one good year, moved positions, has been injured and is small. Before the combine he wasn't talked about as a top guy. If they take him at 6 they're ******* idiots. 

23 hours ago, PepPep said:

Cooks is legit. Just look at his numbers in NO. Just wait until this year, they will skyrocket in NE. 

Ross will be an explosive playmaker in the NFL. But I have him behind C.Davis as the #1 WR. He is on par with Williams as the #2 WR on the board- IMO. They are so different that it depends on what you are looking for as a team. 

Having said that, the Jets SHOULD NOT select ANY WR with the 6th pick. Howard is the only pass catcher I am willing to draft. And that is only if Adams, Fournette and Garrett are off the board (which they probably will be) and if the Jets have concerns with Hooker and Lattimore's injuries. 

To me, if the Jets can't trade down, this is who I want. Pretty much in this order. 

1. Garrett- will probably be off the board

2. Fournette- will probably be off the board

3. Adams- will probably be off the board

4. Hooker- injury concerns

5. Lattimore- injury concerns

6. OJ Howard

7. D.Barnett 

ROSS: INJURY CONCERNS:

Cons:*Significant injury concerns as he sustained two separate injuries, one to each knee (one required microfracture surgery and the other was a torn ACL). Currently has a torn labrum that will require surgery after the Combine, although he expects to be ready for training camp. Slight frame and size could limit his potential as a “number one” receiver. Not a very physical player, will likely struggle with bigger cornerbacks in press coverage. About 41% of his receiving yards in 2016 came in just 3 of 14 games, he disappeared at times. One-year wonder? Only 579 yards and five touchdowns receiving over the 2013 and 2014 seasons combined, he sat out 2015 due to injury, then had a monster 2016 season."

Speaking specifically to his injuries, microfracture surgery spooks me in particular,

My choice comes down to 3 people .

Trubisky - When you're not sure you have a QB, and the best QB in the draft have a high 1st round and a high 1st round grade, you don't pass that up .

Barnett - The NFL loves players who can get to the QB and Barnett has multiple ways of accomplishing this .

Ramczyk - The most important player on a football team is the QB . The 2nd most IMO is the guy who can prevent the QB from being the most important . IMO, The next best player is the guy who can prevent the 2nd most important player from ruining the chance for the QB to become the most important player on the team . 

Archived