Jets competitive before 2019?

SouthernJet

If I had to predict, if Mac hits on some draft picks and some previous draft picks show something:

2017 will be very bad

2018 should be .500ish if they have a QB who is developing and committed to (Hack, MT, DW,, veteran).

2019 can be competitive

If 2018 is not looking at least on the upswing, it is time for Macc and Bowles to go.  I would give them until then.

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Easy Schedule this year for the AFC East so it won't be too awful which will be perfect to get Bowles another year.

i'm not sure where you're getting the "easy" schedule but it's going to be far more difficult than last year at least for the Jets.

Going into 2017, we're lacking at QB, OL, WR, CB, pass rusher, and probably even the coach and GM. That's a pretty bad place to be in, and certainly not anything that gets solved in a year or two. If we are competitive in 2019 I'll be shocked.

Also, this is exactly why the Jets should not draft safeties or tight ends with first round picks. Or any high picks, really. The Jets are in no position to be passing on skill positions within the first 4 rounds.

idk what gm or coach would go into a full rebuild without having the full confidence of owner that they wont get fired. it wont matter until we get a franchise qb. either this year or next year, we need to hit it big or we will just be going through bandaids, like we had the past decade. i hope we really draft a QB and we will go big. lets go jets

If I had to predict:

Draft:  We go Safety and CB heavy, draft little in the way of meaningful offense, but snag a few UDFA's everyone will fawn over in camp.

2017 will be mediocre, McCown plays >50% of QB Snaps, Petty gets the rest, Jets 6-10 or 7-9, middle round draft pick, Jets Draft 4th best QB prospect in the 18 draft.  People still say "we don't know what Hack is yet!"

2018 Petty starts, bombs, Hack replaces, bombs worse.  4th best QB Draft pick from 208 draft plays last two games, mediocre but with a few good plays.  Jest finish 5-11, people still argue "we don't really know what Hack is, he needs weapons and a fair shot!"

2019 camp sees Hack vs. 4th Best QB Prospect Draft Pick battle it out.  Due to injury Hack wins.  Hack bombs in the regular season, jets finish 4-12, Bowles, Macc fired, Hack cut.

2020 New Coach GM cut anyone over 30 years old, cut the 4th best QB Prospect Draft Pick, talk about fresh starts, sign old Vet FA QB, Jets go 10-6 and hope springs eternal.... 

/endcynicism.

5 hours ago, varjet said:

If I had to predict, if Mac hits on some draft picks and some previous draft picks show something:

2017 will be very bad

2018 should be .500ish if they have a QB who is developing and committed to (Hack, MT, DW,, veteran).

2019 can be competitive

If 2018 is not looking at least on the upswing, it is time for Macc and Bowles to go.  I would give them until then.

I think this is pretty accurate. In the NFL and with our schedule it everything hits right, you never know, but odds are this is probably what macc is expecting.

these days teams can turn on a dime.  there is no reason to think they will be worse than last season and every reason to expect them to be better.  it all comes down to two things; qb play and coaching.  i know a lot has been made of the player talent but in reality every team has about the same talent level.  it's just that some are lacking at one position or another.  it's all about getting all of the players playing as a team.  and if hack or petty or even mcnown have good qb season then who knows?

frankly the whole notion of teams taking a long time to build is overblown.  they don't have as much time as they think they want or need and there are too many external variables that can prevent even the best built team from succeeding.

mr. bowles, it's up to you.

It depends on what you mean by 'competitive'. Like a SB contender? Or a playoff contender? Or just a tough team to play despite a losing record. 

With the right moves and a little bit of luck the Jets can be competing for a playoff spot in 2018. 

They have no chance of being a SB contender until they have a legit Franchise QB. That may not happen for another 50 years. Or Hack may develop into that QB. Or they may draft a QB who immediately shows that he can be that guy, either in this draft or in the 2018 draft.

As I have said before, if you have a legit Franchise QB, you can get critical positions of need like LT, WR, CB, Edge Rusher, RB, TE, etc. in FA or via trade. To get a Franchise QB you have to hit on one in the draft.   

11 hours ago, varjet said:

2017 will be very bad

2019 can be competitive

and the coach in 2018 will be ......Bowles?  LOL.  Saints preserve us Jet fans

Archived