~ ~ Top 10... jets' all-time draft busts ~ ~

kelly

It's a fact of life in the NFL: There will be draft busts. Even the best organizations pick an occasional lemon.

ESPN's NFL Nation identifies the biggest bust for each team, from Ryan Leaf to Tony Mandarich. Because the New York Jets' draft history reads like a tragicomedy, it was hard to select just one player, so here's an expanded list of my top-10 busts :

1. Vernon Gholston, OLB, first round (2008): The scouts didn't consider him worthy of a top-10 pick, so they were miffed when general manager Mike Tannenbaum and coach Eric Mangini picked him anyway at No. 6. How bad was Gholston? In three years, I compiled as many sacks as he did -- zero.

2. Blair Thomas, RB, first round (1990): I was sitting next to GM Dick Steinberg at the Senior Bowl (back in the day when GMs weren't paranoid about talking to reporters) and he told me, "My grandmother could tell you [Thomas] is the best player on the field." Steinberg should've given grandma a chance to scout Junior Seau or Emmitt Smith, two players the Jets bypassed to take Thomas at No. 2 overall.

3. Johnny (Lam) Jones, WR, first round (1980): The Jets fell in love with his world-class speed -- he was an Olympic sprinter -- and traded two first-round picks to move up in the draft. They took him at No. 2 overall, but his production never matched his speed.

4. Ron Faurot, OLB, first round (1984): He was released in the middle of his second season, almost unheard of for a first-round pick. The Jets tried to convert Faurot, a defensive end in college, into a linebacker -- and it was a spectacular failure.

5. Dee Milliner, CB, first round (2013): This was a big swing and a miss. Milliner, drafted No. 9 overall, spent more time in the trainers' room than on the field and he was released after three years. He sat out last season and still doesn't have a job.

6. Dewayne Robertson, DT, first round (2003): He was billed as the next Warren Sapp, but the only sap was the Jets. Robertson had a bone-on-bone condition in one knee, and yet they drafted him anyway -- fourth overall! Wait, it gets worse: They actually traded two first-round picks to move up for him.

8. Roger Vick, FB, first round (1987): Yes, they picked a fullback with the 21st pick. Career rushing average: 3.9 yards per carry. Career: Four years and done.

9. Browning Nagle, QB, second round (1991): The Jets thought they had worked out a trade for Brett Favre, but it fell apart and they settled for Nagle, who was promptly nicknamed "Nuke LaLoosh." If you don't understand the reference, check out "Bull Durham."

10. Johnny Mitchell, TE, first round (1992): The freakishly athletic pass catcher actually had two decent years, but he couldn't keep it together and was finished by the age of 25. He made comeback attempts, including one with the Jets, but he couldn't stick.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68112/vernon-gholston-heads-list-of-jets-all-time-draft-busts

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I don't see Nagle as being much worse a bust than Kellen Clemens, Geno Smith, or (soon) Hackenberg. 

Nagle is only more prominent because he was the consolation prize when we missed Favre.

I still believe Hackenburg has a chance. People are discarding him without seeing him even play

Considering it was a COMPLETE reactionary reach due to Doug Brien's ineffective 2004 post season, I'd have to nominate the 2005 selection of place kicker Mike Nugent in the 2nd round as a MONUMENTAL bust. The Jets actually traded OUT of the first round #26 for a kicker and a throw-in TE Doug Jolley  .  . .  . when TE Heath Miller was there and taken by Pitt at @ #30. 

That's WAAAY more egregious than hoping to hit on a franchise QB (Nagle) in the 2nd round. a FRIGGIN KICKER!?!?!?!?:blink:

DISGUSTING!

54 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Considering it was a COMPLETE reactionary reach due to Doug Brien's ineffective 2004 post season, I'd have to nominate the 2005 selection of place kicker Mike Nugent in the 2nd round as a MONUMENTAL bust. The Jets actually traded OUT of the first round #26 for a kicker and a throw-in TE Doug Jolley  .  . .  . when TE Heath Miller was there and taken by Pitt at @ #30. 

That's WAAAY more egregious than hoping to hit on a franchise QB (Nagle) in the 2nd round. a FRIGGIN KICKER!?!?!?!?:blink:

DISGUSTING!

Could you even picture what would happen today if the Jets traded a first round pick for a sh*tty TE?    Omg it would burn down the internet. 

Thomas and Jones at least played some.  In fact I don't think Thomas was going to be a complete bust until that fumble after which he never got his head together.  Jones was injured, as was Faurot.  Hard to know what to make of someone who didn't pan out because of injury.  Having said that Milliner belongs because he had a history of injury before he was drafted, which is different.

I would have put Sanchez on that list given where he was drafted and the huge hurt he put on the Jets' future when he didn't pan out.  We're still paying for his pick.

And yes Nagle really doesn't belong there.  Only second round pick on the list, Nagle was more about not living up to the hype than he was about lack of value in the draft.

13 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I still believe Hackenburg has a chance. People are discarding him without seeing him even play

This..

Been saying this since the 6 INT fiasco in KC. I still ask, could he (Hack) have done much worse?

16 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Yes. This really annoys me. Quintessential Jet fan pessimism. At least give the kid a legit shot before labeling him a bust. 

Call me crazy, but I think Blair Thomas could have been a decent rb if he had been given more of a chance. The guy fumbled a few times his first year, including a pretty bad one against Chicago on a Monday night if I recall. After that, Bruce Coslet put him in the doghouse and never let him out.

16 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

DISGUSTING!

Not only did we draft Nuge, a lousy kicker in the second, we actually traded for the worst TE ever Doug Jolley

Archived