Why is Bilal Powell the Rodney Dangerfield of Jets Players?

JetFreak89

Serious question because the guy gets no respect!

Powell was a 4th round pick who many of the fans around here didn't want the Jets to resign after his rookie deal because he "was a JAG". 

Two years ago, after Bowles completely overused Chris Ivory, he came in and showed to be a more effective back and people screamed for him to get more reps. Then he was handed a 3 year deal and half of the board still were screaming "bad resigning, he's a JAG". 

Last year, we all expected him to get a bigger role earlier in the season but, this time Forte got the vast majority of carries. UNTIL WEEK 13, the highest amount of carries he got was 8 and the vast majority of games was 4! 

All Powell did last year was average 5.5 YPC (2nd in the league for those over 100 carries); average 138 total yards per game the last 4 weeks of the season, ranked 3rd in the league in YPC after contact, ranked 9th in the league in Missed Tackles per Carry and oh, by the way, he's only lost 1 fumble over the course of his career. 

Our fans thanked him for his effort by screaming that Macc didn't utilize our 2nd round pick on Dalvin Cook or Joe Mixon. Yes, with the roster we have in place right now, with all of the holes we have at hard to fill positions, the team should be investing a high draft pick on RB's with questionable character when we don't even play one of the better RB's (statistically speaking)in the league right now.

The dude can't make plays if the team never gives him opportunities.  I thought Bowles would have learned that after 2015 but we shall see if he will repeat the same mistakes in 2017. 

DSez300_400x400.jpg

I think he needs to show a sustained,consistent effort through a whole season.  Bilal has been a great contributor in spots.   He is more of a quality than quantity player.

He has now exceeded the shelf life of an NFL RB.  Maybe that is a good thing for him.  Maybe he can continue his career as a contributor/part of a stable and not an every down back.

BP has been used correctly; change of pace player used to spell the featured back.

That's all he's ever going to amount to and that's fine because he's good at what he does.

Wishing he's the next coming of Walter Payton isn't going to make him any better.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He has played better the last couple of years and is getting respect, did the jets draft any RB high up in the draft? 

I agree, and this post is more about the fans than the team but even the Jets used him sparingly until they were forced to feature him after Forte's injury. Was that due to Bowles or perhaps Gailey? I guess we will find out this season. 

I was a big fan of the Forte signing initially because I thought they were going to use him more in the passing game and thought it would be a timeshare with Powell on runs but that isn't how things ended up playing out. 

I would hope that Powell gets AT LEAST 50% of all carries next year. Possibly less, depending on if McGuire pleasantly surprises. 

16 minutes ago, peebag said:

BP has been used correctly; change of pace player used to spell the featured back.

That's all he's ever going to amount to and that's fine because he's good at what he does.

Wishing he's the next coming of Walter Payton isn't going to make him any better.

I'm not wishing anything but I do think anytime he has gotten the chance to perform he has done so well. I think what he did the last 4 games of the season should certainly merit him the opportunity to be a featured back this season

Depending on Hackenberg, I also wouldn't mind if the Jets went QB Round 1, RB Round 2 next draft (if the talent warrants the pick). I do know that we should be seeking our next feature back in the next few drafts. 

19 minutes ago, peebag said:

I disagree with this.  4 carries a game is not okay.  He's better than that and even you can admit that.  The more carries BP gets, the better he does.  No one is saying he's the next Walter Payton-- just that he deserves a bigger role and it seems we win more when he gets it.  He tries harder than any other player outside of Q on offense.  That helps get the other guys going.  Forte was a JAG last year.  BP has gotten better every season.  I think now's the time for him, and I hope he gets his shot.

Just now, Drums said:

I disagree with this.  4 carries a game is not okay.  He's better than that and even you can admit that.  The more carries BP gets, the better he does.  No one is saying he's the next Walter Payton-- just that he deserves a bigger role and it seems we win more when he gets it.  He tries harder than any other player outside of Q on offense.  That helps get the other guys going.  Forte was a JAG last year.  BP has gotten better every season.  I think now's the time for him, and I hope he gets his shot.

Again, he's a nice change of pace back but he's never going to be a success being the featured back.  

35 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think he needs to show a sustained,consistent effort through a whole season.  Bilal has been a great contributor in spots.   He is more of a quality than quantity player.

He has now exceeded the shelf life of an NFL RB.  Maybe that is a good thing for him.  Maybe he can continue his career as a contributor/part of a stable and not an every down back.

Good post. I like Powell, but I keep having visions of Lamont Jordan and Shonn Green...solid backups who weren't good starters.

21 minutes ago, peebag said:

Again, he's a nice change of pace back but he's never going to be a success being the featured back.  

• 5'11"HEIGHT
  • 30 7/8"ARM LENGTH
  • 207LBS.WEIGHT - not Feature RB weight
  • 8 3/4"HANDS

OVERVIEW

Powell had a breakout season in 2010, and he has vision to excel in a zone blocking scheme at the next level. He possesses a knack for finding a seam and can accelerate on a dime to find daylight. He is very elusive in the open field, as he can idle down and then explode past a defender. He does not have the strength to run over people in the NFL, but he keeps his legs churning and usually falls forward after contact. Powell is a very good one-cut and go back and could be a middle round pick.

Analysis

Strengths

Powell is thickly built with a low center of gravity. Finds running lanes quickly, waits to set up his blocks, and can plant and explode through holes. Very elusive in the open field and flashes the ability to get big chunks of yards after the catch. Aggressive and a very capable blocker in pass protection.

Weaknesses

Does not have the speed to consistently get around the edge and will not separate in the second level. Not the strongest runner and will not be able to push the pile in short yardage situations or tally yards after contact. Limited experience as a receiver out of the backfield.

Now, he has IMPROVED in what I highlighted in RED, but his steady weight of 207 lbs can NOT carry the load in our PREVIOUS power running offenses. Recall he was selected in Schottenheimer's last season as OC and then it's been Heavy running with Greene, then Ivory from 2012-2015. Powell was the change of pace back and excelled and it showed in '15 and in spurts, when used, in '16 (the Rams game). 

NOW that the new OC run a WCO, where the Jets can take better advantage of Powell's skills as a RB, he should have a better statistical season in 2017. Stats aside, if you watch the games, you KNOW what he brings to the table and the WCO SHOULD highlight his improved skill set since he's entered the league. 

I become a bigger fan of his with each passing year.  He seems to get better and better.  Not great at any one thing, but good at most aspects of the game. 

I agree, he should be getting 12-15 touches per game.  I think his role will increase in the west coast offense we run.  At least I hope it does. 

BP has shown he can be an exceptional back when his number is called. Good backfield blocker, good hands, excelerates and  can be explosive at times. Good open field runner. What's not to like about him. Has had some injuries though. The Jets must establish a ground game with the Young Guns at QB to be competitive offensively. If Morton mimicks his mentor Harbaugh Jets will be ground and pound more often than not this year. I'd like to see Powell sharing the load more this year.

Archived