Schefter: Jets to release David Harris

flgreen

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Of course it is. In my business, I make sure to treat deserving employees with respect and dignity. I've let people go. Trust me, the way they found out was NOT from someone outside the business right after finishing an assignment.  Harris learned of his release from a reporter as he was leaving the practice field.  How humiliating after 10 years of service and commitment.  It's not the release that is unprofessional,  in fact he should have been cut last year or sooner this year, the problem is the way the Jets did it.

But I'm sure in your business you don't have agents and reporters running around with agendas which only serve to undermine your best intentions. Sure there are ways to lock that down, but professionalism from the media and player agents has never been a high priority.

15 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

But I'm sure in your business you don't have agents and reporters running around with agendas which only serve to undermine your best intentions. Sure there are ways to lock that down, but professionalism from the media and player agents has never been a high priority.

It's so easy to blame it on the media. I think some people here, not you, will do or say anything, no matter how silly, to deflect blame away from the management of the team.  And there is plenty of that in this thread, in the various forms of "everybody does it" Patriots-style excuses, which are bogus excuses as we all know.  But in the end, it's either the team management that is to blame or the agent.  This kind of garbage happens too often with the Jets for the blame to go anywhere else.

43 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It's so easy to blame it on the media. I think some people here, not you, will do or say anything, no matter how silly, to deflect blame away from the management of the team.  And there is plenty of that in this thread, in the various forms of "everybody does it" Patriots-style excuses, which are bogus excuses as we all know.  But in the end, it's either the team management that is to blame or the agent.  This kind of garbage happens too often with the Jets for the blame to go anywhere else.

I agree the Jets have had their share of management and PR blunders but much of that is magnified by the fact that its a NY team and the team has performed poorly. I'm not claiming everybody does it , but when winning teams do it its more easily ignored by their fanbase. If the Jets had won multiple super bowls the fanbase wouldn't care so much that an aging vet got cut in a perceived "shady" way - it would be chalked up as they know what their doing.

On 6/6/2017 at 4:02 PM, Matt39 said:

It's just the lack of awareness this regime has. Maccganan  is never around and Bowles always seems perplexed that people have questions for him. When the team is bad(which it is) I think it's best practice to be out in front of these types of things. Bowles and Maccganan just dont seem to be treating this job as a once in a lifetime opportunity. IDK.

I can see that but in all honesty I rather the GM shut up and do his job. The coach definitely shows he does not like talking with the press which is the polar opposite of Rex. I just think maybe they are getting a bad rap here from the agents esp because the gm does not address the press.

There is more then enough time for both players to catch onto teams that give them a chance to win a ring, this in the long term i think is the best of they can get the franchise player at qb next yr if hack and petty prove not the be that player. Look at the Colts Peyton goes down and they tanked and got Luck this is in the same category. Just going to be a hard year to watch. I know I wont be attending any games this yr :)

David Harris Shares Statement on 10 Years with the Jets

The past couple of days have allowed me to reflect on my career with the New York Jets and how grateful I am.

First, I want to thank Woody Johnson and everyone in the Jets organization who gave me the opportunity to live out my childhood dream of playing at this level, for every day of these last 10 years. Thank you for exposing a kid from the Southeast side of Grand Rapids, Michigan, and his family, to so many wonderful experiences. We have made lifelong memories here in New York.  

To Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan, Todd Bowles and your coaching staffs – thank you for your trust and confidence in choosing me to lead your defenses and teaching me how to truly play this game.  Thanks to John Mellody, Dave Zuffelato, Josh Koch, Ezron Bryson, Greg Rosequist and the rest of the medical training staff. You guys are the heroes working tirelessly behind the scene. To Justus Galac, Aaron McLaurin and the rest of the strength and conditioning crew - thank you for never allowing me to just settle, and for pushing me in many ways more than just physically.  Thank you Dave Szott and Montelle Sanders for everything you do for the players.

To all of my former teammates, I enjoyed every single moment playing beside you throughout the years, during all of the ups and downs.  Only we know the sacrifices that were made, day in and day out, to be able to put out the very best product possible for our fans. I want every single one of you to know that my loyalty has always been to you guys in that locker room and to the coaches. And last but not least, to all of those diehard Jets fans - thank you for your support and motivation.   

Many lessons can be taught and learned in this sport that we love to watch and play. When I attended the University of Michigan our head strength coach, Mike Gittleson, used to always make us do this exercise called “farmer’s walks” during off-season conditioning.  He made us do them from end zone to end zone and then back, in deep snow and freezing temperatures, carrying very heavy sandbags in each hand. He made sure that each one of us never followed in the player’s footprints who did the exercise before us because that would’ve been the easy route. Instead, he made sure every single man made and took their own path.  And ever since then, that’s what I have strived to do.

GO JETS!!!

P.S. - To Kyle Clifton, your Jets all-time tackle record is now safe.

Just now, Sarge4Tide said:

Classy comments from Harris. Very impressive especially since we live in a time when ignorance and pettiness are the norm.

Agreed.  Did you get a sense he may be considering retiring after reading that? 

14 hours ago, j4jets said:

Should've cut him on his wedding! That would've been unique....oh wait, our douchebag GM has done that too. 

Wasnt that whole thing no big deal and he's back on the team anyway? 

5 hours ago, Jet9 said:

I'm sure the guy was thinking on his wedding night "no biggie, Macc promised me he'll take me back after one day just to be under the roster limit, cuz you know NFL keeps all its promises". I'm curious why him though. 

6 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Yep. But you know how things are here....

Stanford was just released last Friday, the same day he tied the knot with his fiancee, Tiffany Dawson.

What otherwise would have been a cruel move by the Jets was really just procedural. NFL rules require teams to release players who finished the season on injured reserve by April 15, but New York was never going to let Stanford walk.

8 hours ago, j4jets said:

I'm sure the guy was thinking on his wedding night "no biggie, Macc promised me he'll take me back after one day just to be under the roster limit, cuz you know NFL keeps all its promises". I'm curious why him though. 

You should read stuff before posting about stuff. 

19 hours ago, C Mart said:

Yep. But you know how things are here....

Stanford was just released last Friday, the same day he tied the knot with his fiancee, Tiffany Dawson.

What otherwise would have been a cruel move by the Jets was really just procedural. NFL rules require teams to release players who finished the season on injured reserve by April 15, but New York was never going to let Stanford walk.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good tin foil hat conspiracy theory driven by angst.

2 hours ago, Jet9 said:

If you insist, the "NFL rule" that requires a "player should be released by April 15th if he ended up on the IR" is nonsense. I've never heard of that rule. It may very well be there. However, many of the Jets starters ended up on the IR. Not all were released. Until I read something more definitive, the "procedural move" explanation sounds much like an excuse than not. Feel free to do some more digging if you like. Mac could've very easily been less of a dick by releasing him on April 15th and letting him enjoy his wedding day instead of having a cloud of doubt whether Mac will fulfill his promise or not. 

Besides, Harris could've been released back in February. Real dick move by Mac keeping Harris away from finding his next team in a timely manner. 

4 minutes ago, j4jets said:

If you insist, the "NFL rule" that requires a "player should be released by April 15th if he ended up on the IR" is nonsense. I've never heard of that rule. It may very well be there. However, many of the Jets starters ended up on the IR. Not all were released. Until I read something more definitive, the "procedural move" explanation sounds much like an excuse than not. Feel free to do some more digging if you like. Mac could've very easily been less of a dick by releasing him on April 15th and letting him enjoy his wedding day instead of having a cloud of doubt whether Mac will fulfill his promise or not. 

Besides, Harris could've been released back in February. Real dick move by Mac keeping Harris away from finding his next team in a timely manner. 

He found a buyer for Pryor. Things change. Not to mention a lot of really good players are going to be released up until September. 

On 6/9/2017 at 10:29 AM, C Mart said:

David Harris Shares Statement on 10 Years with the Jets

The past couple of days have allowed me to reflect on my career with the New York Jets and how grateful I am.

First, I want to thank Woody Johnson and everyone in the Jets organization who gave me the opportunity to live out my childhood dream of playing at this level, for every day of these last 10 years. Thank you for exposing a kid from the Southeast side of Grand Rapids, Michigan, and his family, to so many wonderful experiences. We have made lifelong memories here in New York.  

To Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan, Todd Bowles and your coaching staffs – thank you for your trust and confidence in choosing me to lead your defenses and teaching me how to truly play this game.  Thanks to John Mellody, Dave Zuffelato, Josh Koch, Ezron Bryson, Greg Rosequist and the rest of the medical training staff. You guys are the heroes working tirelessly behind the scene. To Justus Galac, Aaron McLaurin and the rest of the strength and conditioning crew - thank you for never allowing me to just settle, and for pushing me in many ways more than just physically.  Thank you Dave Szott and Montelle Sanders for everything you do for the players.

To all of my former teammates, I enjoyed every single moment playing beside you throughout the years, during all of the ups and downs.  Only we know the sacrifices that were made, day in and day out, to be able to put out the very best product possible for our fans. I want every single one of you to know that my loyalty has always been to you guys in that locker room and to the coaches. And last but not least, to all of those diehard Jets fans - thank you for your support and motivation.   

Many lessons can be taught and learned in this sport that we love to watch and play. When I attended the University of Michigan our head strength coach, Mike Gittleson, used to always make us do this exercise called “farmer’s walks” during off-season conditioning.  He made us do them from end zone to end zone and then back, in deep snow and freezing temperatures, carrying very heavy sandbags in each hand. He made sure that each one of us never followed in the player’s footprints who did the exercise before us because that would’ve been the easy route. Instead, he made sure every single man made and took their own path.  And ever since then, that’s what I have strived to do.

GO JETS!!!

P.S. - To Kyle Clifton, your Jets all-time tackle record is now safe.

This guy is just a good person. 

Archived