Schefter: Jets to release David Harris

flgreen

12 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Also it appears there were contract talks most likely surrounding a restructure , Harris probably balked. Mac may have set an ultimatium with his agents and his agents called the bluff and lost.  I too am surprised there was no face to face with Harris about the release but who knows what really went on behind closed doors.  

Sorry, but the same thing happened to Mangold.  If it happened just once, maybe I'd say your doubt is reasonable.  But twice?  No coincidence.  

Jets don't know how to conduct business in a respectful classy way.  Especially to players that spent a decade here right out of college.  How do you justify it twice?  Especially when the team was called out on it the first time!  It's quite clear that the Jets don't care about repect, class and professionalism.  And then people wonder why the organization is given no respect from anyone throughout the country or even their most loyal fans.  What JoJo, DisorientedWho and CMart don't understand is that all of this is self-created by the organization.  Not the fans. Yet they want the fans to shut up and just swallow it like good boys and girls.  LOL.  Fat chance.  New York fans won't, can't and shouldn't accept the poor level of professionalism and lack of respect the Jets show to their own players, especially the ones on the team for the longest time, or the fans that invest their precious time and their money into the team.  So easy to shift the blame from where it belongs, isn't it?

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Mcc is in charge of the roster..Bowles has control who is active/plays on gameday..

To think they are going to agree on everything going on 3 yrs is crazy..My gawd look at this place

If you type in PMS.com you get re-directed to this thread.

Just now, munchmemory said:

Are you sure?  I thought it was a typical goofy gif.  No offense meant.  I'll take it off.

I changed it to this for some unknown reason.  I hope the giant squirrel wasn't abused in any way in the making of the gif.

tumblr_inline_mv1d5405mJ1rrkv7i.gif

I don't care if it was real or not... but thank you for taking it down...  

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The funny part is that we had fans bashing Macc for taking Adams and Maye (i was one of the guys upset with the Maye pick) because it was clear that Bowles was running the show because no GM would do this without being forced to by a defensive minded HC. Now we see some of the same fans suggesting that the team is in disarray because Bowles was not involved enough. 

Again, this all proves my point that no matter what the Jets do there will be handful of SOJFs that will bash the move. 

It's almost as if people don't care about the specific division of labor and are actually angry about the org chart looking like a plate of spaghetti

Just now, Dcat said:

Sorry, but the same thing happened to Mangold.  If it happened just once, maybe I'd say your doubt is reasonable.  But twice?  No coincidence.  

Jets don't know how to conduct business in a respectful classy way.  Especially to players that spent a decade here right out of college.  How do you justify it twice?  Especially when the team was called out on it the first time!  It's quite clear that the Jets don't care about repect, class and professionalism.  And then people wonder why the organization is given no respect from anyone throughout the country or even their most loyal fans.  What JoJo, DisorientedWho and CMart don't understand is that all of this is self-created by the organization.  Not the fans. Yet they want the fans to shut up and just swallow it like good boys and girls.  LOL.  Fat chance.  New York fans won't, can't and shouldn't accept the poor level of professionalism and lack of respect the Jets show to their own players, especially the ones on the team for the longest time, or the fans that invest their precious time and their money into the team.  So easy to shift the blame from where it belongs, isn't it?

Welcome to corp america

Just now, Skeptable said:

I don't care if it was real or not... but thank you for taking it down...  

You're welcome.  Just so you know, the gif was supposed to represent Jet fans jumping off a bridge at the prospect of Lee and Davis filling Harris' shoes.

Got to give it up to Macc...such a class act. Sacrificing his own stature with the fan base by biting the bullet and untimely cutting a loyal 11 yr vet so that the fans don't have to scorch him all year for being now 5 times slower than Alge Crumpler was at 42. Thus affecting his legacy as perhaps the greatest ilb this organization has ever seen!

selfless, that Macc, truly awesome.

He just gets it...cause hey, bitches gonna bitch.

Todd Bowles late for press conference after news of David Harris release broke

Posted by Mike Florio on June 6, 2017, 2:49 PM EDT
491356466-e1496774897412.jpg?w=216Getty Images

In the latest Jets-being-Jets move, word of the looming release of linebacker David Harris emerged during a Tuesday practice. After practice, coach Todd Bowles was late for his previously-scheduled press conference.

The event was due to begin at 2:05 p.m. ET. It began just before 2:50 p.m. ET.

Some have speculated that Bowles isn’t happy about the decision to release a reliable team leader, who has been with the franchise for over a decade. With Bowles likely on the hot seat, dumping Harris at this stage of the offseason could make it even harder to win.

And as to the $6.5 million in cap space the Jets have gained, what value does it really have to Bowles in June? It’s not as if there’s a key free agent or two whom the Jets intend to pursue.

There’s another potentially intriguing angle at play here. From time to time, teams leak that they’ll be releasing a player, hopeful that a sudden trade market emerges. To let that process properly play out, it makes sense for the team to avoid saying anything to confirm that the move is coming.

Just now, munchmemory said:

You're welcome.  Just so you know, the gif was supposed to represent Jet fans jumping off a bridge at the prospect of Lee and Davis filling Harris' shoes.

I know.... I just couldn't get over the fact that those people might actually be committing suicide.

Eric Decker’s wife fears he’s the next Jet to go

June 6, 2017 | 3:49pm

Eric Decker’s wife fears he’s the next Jet to go

Jessie James Decker and Eric DeckerGetty Images

Is Eric Decker the next Jet on the chopping block?

The wide receiver’s wife is worried that is the case, airing out her concerns Tuesday afternoon on Twitter after the Jets cut veteran linebacker David Harris, who spent 10 seasons with the team.

ADVERTISING

“Jets cleanin house!!! Damn,” the country singer tweeted.

She then replied to a follower who questioned her husband’s future in green-and-white, adding: “Apparently no one is safe. Fingers crossed.”

The Jets cut a slew of veterans in the offseason, most notably Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold and Brandon Marshall. Decker, 30, signed a five-year, $36.25 million contract with the team in 2014. With the team rebuilding, there was a thought he would be one of the salary-cap casualties.

“I’m still here to be a winner,” Decker said in May. “My plan is to go to work and get better.”

Decker was sidelined for much for the 2016 season due to shoulder and hip surgeries.

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

So when the Pats do this it's OK but when the Jets do it......?

Pats cut Lawyer Malloy the week before week 1

Patriots cut Milloy over salary

Lawyer Milloy refused to take a pay cut, so was cut outright.

Posted: Sep 03, 2003 

Milloy, 29, was released Tuesday by the New England Patriots,

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/patriots-cut-milloy-over-salary-1.373926

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Bet he knows more football than you...and it's not even close

What the hell are you talking about Bowles was voted Assistant HC of the year because he knows NOTHING, that is why they give out those awards.

Don't you know that!!

Just now, C Mart said:

Short term memory... Nobody will care next week

20 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I wonder if the KC GM and/or HC called Maclin in to the office and professionally informed him of their decision or if he learned of it through the press or while riding a log flume with his young children at Disney World?  What do you think?  According to DisorientedWhoFan, "everybody does it", so I guess we should have no doubt that KC was just as unprofessional in how they delivered the news to Jeremy as were the Jets to Mangold and Harris (both of whom were with the team since being drafted as young pups, unlike Maclin with the Chiefs).  Do you not think that both Mangold and Harris were worthy of a bit more class and respect during the process?

I don't know what do you make of this?

He skipped his honeymoon so he could attend OTAs. Dude just got married and was cut immediately after OTAs

KC what a disgusting classless org right?

Its a damn business people get off the high horses.  Your employer isn't gonna give you jack sh*t if they decide to terminate you.  No, they are going to humiliate you most likely with security walking you out of the building.

I love Mangold and Harris, but even Mangold said it was tough but its a business.  They understand that side of it, fans don't seem to.

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

What your assuming by that statement is that players who have long tenure with the team are equally respectful to the ownership and management of the team.

I've worked in large companies where long tenured "respected" employees became absolute a-holes as they neared they're retirement , they felt management owed them everything and they used the platform of them leaving to air out lots of dirty laundry to the detriment of everyone around them . Now I'm not saying this is/was the case with Mangold and Harris , but the whole split team mentality last season was brought on by Mangold and crew all aboard the Fitz boat. Who knows what might have gone on with Harris when they supposedly asked him to re-negotiate. Its easy to take the players side in this case - but usually in these instances there's 3 sides to the story,  the players side , managements side  and finally the truth. 

8 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Squirrels lol.......... some are lucky some arent.

giphy.gif

Probably should have held off on this till later in the day in hindsight... Brought Harris into the office, say it face to face and thank him, deal with media later, don't leave your HC having to deal with something minutes away from a press conference... Mac's call will ultimately depend on if Davis is a sufficient MIKE or not, but the implementation of this plan left something to be desired.

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

everybody does it.  SO that makes it ok.  Got it.

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

They clearly have no idea how to run a franchise. And Milloy actually helped them win a SB. 

I'm sorry to all Jets fans whose feelings were hurt by this post. 

The decision to release David Harris doesn't make sense, and maybe that's the point

David Harris stands on the side during the New York Jets practice 9/7/16 Florham Park, N.J. (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)
David Harris stands on the side during the New York Jets practice 9/7/16 Florham Park, N.J. (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

0shares

BY CONNOR HUGHES 

chughes@njadvancemedia.com

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK -- David Harris spent a decade in green and white, playing every game but five during the time. He wracked up more tackles than all but one player in Jets team history, and was arguably the most well-respected guy in the locker room. 

And none of it stopped the Jets from releasing the 33-year-old veteran out of the blue on Tuesday. 

"It was an organizational decision," coach Todd Bowles reluctantly said at a press conference an hour later. 

The transaction is a curious one, to say the least. It raises more questions than answers, of which, Bowles -- who, in his defense, is not in charge of roster moves -- provided little. 

The Jets had the cap space to keep Harris -- even before the two sides failed to negotiate a new deal. They have no one in line to replace him. They're a better team with him than without. And for a guy who has given so much to the organization, cutting Harris now, on June 6, gives him little time to latch on with another team. 

So why cut Harris? What's the point?

"That's a good question," Bowles said. 

In short, the move confirms the Jets are entering a full-on rebuild. Harris was one of the few veterans left after an offseason roster purge which claimed receiver Brandon Marshall, center Nick Mangold, cornerback Darrelle Revis and others. The Jets have given up the present, and turned their attention to the future. For better, or for worse. 

While general manager Mike Maccagnan -- who hasn't issued a statement and doesn't plan to speak to the media after cutting Harris -- is focused on the future, it may come at the expense of those in the present. If Bowles doesn't put forth a competitive team this year, he very well could lose his job. It's tough to cook an edible meal with spoiled groceries. 

Bowles pitched the company motto Tuesday, but it seemed clear he wasn't on board with the Harris decision. No, the linebacker isn't the player he used to be -- Bowles admitted Harris lost some of his speed over the years -- but he's still a quality player, and voice of reason in the locker room. Harris had 95 tackles in 15 games last season. 

The Jets were a "different team" with Harris on the field, per Bowles. Now, the third-year coach is left scrambling to find a replacement. His options are less-than impressive. Demario Davis, Julian Stanford and Bruce Carter -- none of whom are the player Harris was or is -- will compete to start opposite last year's first-round pick Darron Lee.  

It doesn't make sense. And maybe that's the point. 

"I don't foresee a lot of things coming in this league at this point," Bowles said. "Nothing surprises me after being in the league this long. It's part of the business and it's a tough part of the business."

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @Connor_J_Hughes. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Remember when the Jets won the Super Bowl a couple years ago

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

The decision to release David Harris doesn't make sense, and maybe that's the point

0shares

BY CONNOR HUGHES 

chughes@njadvancemedia.com

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK -- David Harris spent a decade in green and white, playing every game but five during the time. He wracked up more tackles than all but one player in Jets team history, and was arguably the most well-respected guy in the locker room. 

And none of it stopped the Jets from releasing the 33-year-old veteran out of the blue on Tuesday. 

"It was an organizational decision," coach Todd Bowles reluctantly said at a press conference an hour later. 

The transaction is a curious one, to say the least. It raises more questions than answers, of which, Bowles -- who, in his defense, is not in charge of roster moves -- provided little. 

The Jets had the cap space to keep Harris -- even before the two sides failed to negotiate a new deal. They have no one in line to replace him. They're a better team with him than without. And for a guy who has given so much to the organization, cutting Harris now, on June 6, gives him little time to latch on with another team. 

So why cut Harris? What's the point?

"That's a good question," Bowles said. 

In short, the move confirms the Jets are entering a full-on rebuild. Harris was one of the few veterans left after an offseason roster purge which claimed receiver Brandon Marshall, center Nick Mangold, cornerback Darrelle Revis and others. The Jets have given up the present, and turned their attention to the future. For better, or for worse. 

While general manager Mike Maccagnan -- who hasn't issued a statement and doesn't plan to speak to the media after cutting Harris -- is focused on the future, it may come at the expense of those in the present. If Bowles doesn't put forth a competitive team this year, he very well could lose his job. It's tough to cook an edible meal with spoiled groceries. 

Bowles pitched the company motto Tuesday, but it seemed clear he wasn't on board with the Harris decision. No, the linebacker isn't the player he used to be -- Bowles admitted Harris lost some of his speed over the years -- but he's still a quality player, and voice of reason in the locker room. Harris had 95 tackles in 15 games last season. 

The Jets were a "different team" with Harris on the field, per Bowles. Now, the third-year coach is left scrambling to find a replacement. His options are less-than impressive. Demario Davis, Julian Stanford and Bruce Carter -- none of whom are the player Harris was or is -- will compete to start opposite last year's first-round pick Darron Lee.  

It doesn't make sense. And maybe that's the point. 

"I don't foresee a lot of things coming in this league at this point," Bowles said. "Nothing surprises me after being in the league this long. It's part of the business and it's a tough part of the business."

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @Connor_J_Hughes. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook

Bowles was caught an hour after realizing he's gonna have to make a plan from scratch at a key spot in his defense. Man's gotta sleep this one over some...

Whatever happened to Taiwan Jones?

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Remember when the Jets won the Super Bowl a couple years ago

You know you just proved my point? The anger in this thread is not about this move, but it's about the team sucking. Because if this exact move was made by Bellichick, you would praise it. But since the Jets upset you, you will bash whatever move they make. Thanks!

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You know you just proved my point? The anger in this thread is not about this move, but it's about the team sucking. Because if this exact move was made by Bellichick, you would praise it. But since the Jets upset you, you will bash whatever move they make. Thanks!

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the best coach in NFL history, and not to the drooling simpletons currently running the Jets. JMO

13 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Maccagnan is a ******* spineless pussy

Please. Remember all those games we blew late in the fourth quarter?   Remember all those no-show games like Pittsburgh?  David Harris was the leader of the defense for every single one. 

The Curtis Martin of linebackers is finally gone. Good riddance. 

SAR I

18 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

What your assuming by that statement is that players who have long tenure with the team are equally respectful to the ownership and management of the team.

I've worked in large companies where long tenured "respected" employees became absolute a-holes as they neared they're retirement , they felt management owed them everything and they used the platform of them leaving to air out lots of dirty laundry to the detriment of everyone around them . Now I'm not saying this is/was the case with Mangold and Harris , but the whole split team mentality last season was brought on by Mangold and crew all aboard the Fitz boat. Who knows what might have gone on with Harris when they supposedly asked him to re-negotiate. Its easy to take the players side in this case - but usually in these instances there's 3 sides to the story,  the players side , managements side  and finally the truth. 

I agree with this.  I didn't mean to imply that longevity was the absolute deciding factor on how you treat your employees.  I try to treat all of mine with a fair and equal degree of respect.  Its just so surprising to see when a long tenured loyal employee is treated differently.  And I'm not talking about the ones that act entitled or obnoxious due to their tenure either.  Those don't deserve it.  But I am more than confident that neither Harris nor Mangold were a-holes in the clubhouse (like Richardson and Pryor) and both could have been dealt with a bit more professionally.  Perhaps Mangold was part of the rift between the Fitz's and the Petty's, but still that wouldn't render him undeserving of a liittle professionalism in handling his release. I think it would take a lot of training to teach this FO what professionalism and classs are, I'm afraid.  And I don't think it's in their budget.

Just now, dbatesman said:

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the best coach in NFL history, and not to the drooling simpletons currently running the Jets. JMO

Right, and based on that logic you will bash every move the Jets make to make yourself feel better for suffering for decades as a Jets fan. I get it. We all cope differently. 

9 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Probably should have held off on this till later in the day in hindsight... Brought Harris into the office, say it face to face and thank him, deal with media later, don't leave your HC having to deal with something minutes away from a press conference... Mac's call will ultimately depend on if Davis is a sufficient MIKE or not, but the implementation of this plan left something to be desired.

too much common sense for the Jets.

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

They clearly have no idea how to run a franchise. And Milloy actually helped them win a SB. 

I'm sorry to all Jets fans whose feelings were hurt by this post. 

Everybody does it.  It's ok then.

2 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Lambasted by many around here for being slow and maybe paid a little above market, but this guy was one of the finest Jets to ever play

They crucify Mark Sanchez and praise David Harris.

Unbelievable.

You fans get what you deserve. You truly do. 

SAR I

Archived