How Jets linebacker has remade himself after a lost season

Gas2No99

27 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Can you elaborate exactly on why you didnt like the pick?

It was the third round, we picked a potential edge rusher who actually had 3-4 college LB experience and was a high character/high motor guy.  What else are you looking for in the 3rd round?

Maybe I have a trauma with slow edge rushers, I thought it was a reach and his tape can confirm that. Besides that, at the time I was in love with Jay Ajayi tape. 2 years later and maybe I was right about Ajayi and Mauldin.

15 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

I should also add that Ellis was drafted to play 3-4 DE, so switching him to 4-3 DT wasn't a horrible idea.  They should have just shifted him inside without making him gain any weight.  

I believe the reason they moved him to 4-3 DT was because they drafted Bryan Thomas.

Herman Edwards thought he could be Warren Sapp.

Bryan Thomas.   Not a bust, he had a long, decent career.   But given what we had on the roster, one of the stupidest selections I can remember.

23 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Unless he got a leg transplant and is chugging HGH, he's still the dude who put up nose tackle-like agility numbers at the Combine.

At least he's looks like the Predator and has a cool LB. Makes up for being a birdbrain and being a scrub.

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Herman Edwards thought he could be Warren Sapp.

Bryan Thomas.   Not a bust, he had a long, decent career.   But given what we had on the roster, one of the stupidest selections I can remember.

Lito Shepherd and Ed Reed were the obvious choices.  

They thought Bryan Thomas was a John Abraham clone.  That would have been something to watch, if that turned out to be the case.

22 hours ago, dbatesman said:

What a sh*tshow

The “We have to get in pads to see whether he still has his strength," comment from Bowles reads like, "Oh yeah? Well we'll see." It would seem he's not happy that the player, in effect, is publicly announcing that the coaches did him wrong and hampered his development. The recent bar fight news notwithstanding, I wouldn't be surprised to read how Mauldin's in the coach's doghouse this summer.

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The “We have to get in pads to see whether he still has his strength," comment from Bowles reads like, "Oh yeah? Well we'll see." It would seem he's not happy that the player, in effect, is publicly announcing that the coaches did him wrong and hampered his development. The recent bar fight news notwithstanding, I wouldn't be surprised to read how Mauldin's in the coach's doghouse this summer.

The fact that he sucks out loud isn't going to help either.

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

Lito Shepherd and Ed Reed were the obvious choices.  

They thought Bryan Thomas was a John Abraham clone.  That would have been something to watch, if that turned out to be the case.

But they were moving to a 4-3 again.   A John Abraham clone wouldn't be great as a left DE, moreso since they had a really good left DE.

Archived