Rob Ninkovich expected to announce retirement

joewilly12

• 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL writer
  • Published: July 30, 2017 at 08:41 a.m.
  • Updated: July 30, 2017 at 10:42 a.m.

Rob Ninkovich is going out on a high note. 

The Super Bowl champion is expected to announce his retirement today after 11 seasons, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports. Ninkovich has been discussing his possible retirement with head coach Bill Belichick for some time. 

Ninkovich, 33, signed with the New England Patriots as a rather anonymous figure in 2009 after stints with the New Orleans Saintsand Miami Dolphins. Since then, he's been in the thick of it. 

Ninkovich never made a Pro Bowl, but you'd be hard pressed to find a more consistent, reliable player during his run in New England. 

For his career, Ninkovich earned 460 tackles, 46 sacks, and 88 QB Hits in 131 games (101 starts). Since 2010, Ninkovich is one of two players in NFL with 400-plus tackles and 40-plus sacks, per NFL Research. Ninkovich: 420 tackles, 45.0 sacks; Calais Campbell: 425 tackles, 49.5 sacks. 

Ninkovich retires with the fifth-most sacks in Patriots history, behind only Andre Tippett (100), Willie McGinest (78), Chris Slade (51), and Mike Vrabel (48). 

In 2016, Ninkovich had 31 tackles, earned four sacks -- which was tied for third most on the Patriots -- and five QB hits in 12 games. He also walked away with the second Lombardi Trophy of his career

I bet the CTE report may have shook him.  Seems it has shaken most of the league honestly.  The NFL is in for a bumpy ride the next few years trying to figure out how to deal with it.  On a brighter note, this dude is a Jets killer, like Bruschi before him, I couldn't be happier with this news!

1 minute ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I bet the CTE report may have shook him.  Seems it has shaken most of the league honestly.  The NFL is in for a bumpy ride the next few years trying to figure out how to deal with it.  On a brighter note, this dude is a Jets killer, like Bruschi before him, I couldn't be happier with this news!

They'll continue to try and make the game safer for their players.  Who knows if they ultimately can but they'll try.  We may even see the benefits of the rule changes down the road, the game isn't the same as it was 10 years ago, maybe the rate of players effected will drop as the penalty flags fly for head hunters.

Of course that won't stop fans from jumping on a forum like this and whine that the game has gone soft and people will stop watching nonsense that we've seen in the past. 

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

They'll continue to try and make the game safer for their players.  Who knows if they ultimately can but they'll try.  We may even see the benefits of the rule changes down the road, the game isn't the same as it was 10 years ago, maybe the rate of players effected will drop as the penalty flags fly for head hunters.

Of course that won't stop fans from jumping on a forum like this and whine that the game has gone soft and people will stop watching nonsense that we've seen in the past. 

I'd agree with this in the past but it seems like consensus sentiment is really starting to shift toward getting the gravity of the head trauma.

i hate the skirts in the QB and think those rules are pansy and some of the unavoidable bang-bang secondary hits but overall yeah it's a problem and people are coming to terms it seems 

8 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/20175509/nfl-donation-brain-research-falls-apart-nih-appears-set-move-bulk-30-million-donation

NFL is basically covering it up at all costs. They stopped funding a researcher who dared criticize them.  This could be what does the NFL in.  Anyone with a million bucks free and clear in the bank should get the hell out of the NFL

really sad actually

48 minutes ago, Larz said:

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/20175509/nfl-donation-brain-research-falls-apart-nih-appears-set-move-bulk-30-million-donation

NFL is basically covering it up at all costs. They stopped funding a researcher who dared criticize them.  This could be what does the NFL in.  Anyone with a million bucks free and clear in the bank should get the hell out of the NFL

really sad actually

Yeah I see the new NFL consisting of 20-30 yr olds with only maybe QBs going longer.  More safety rules and a possibility of more flag football type play/ruleset with reduced lineman (linemen have the biggest possibilities for CTE since they take the most successive concussive blows in the trenches).  Most would just take a 4-5 yr rookie contract and then move on.  The elite players stick around for the big payday 2nd contract and then be out by 30.  Its going to be interesting to see how the sport develops over the next 2 decades.  

There is a chance that the twinkies could get the NFL shut down but otherwise it will continue just as it has for 100 years.

It's like smoking...We didn't know it was bad. People are not stupid, and everyone knew breathing in burning tobacco leaves was bad for you. When you choked up a lung the first time you smoked, and had to build a tolerance for it you knew. When you got winded climbing the stairs you knew. You're breathing in god damn burning leaves for Christ's sake. Come on.

People always knew getting hit in the head was bad for you. It's ridiculous. Every generation thinks the one before was ignorant. All you had to do was take the field for a couple plays and you knew this was going to leave a mark. It takes a rare breed to play NFL football but they each and everyone knew what they were signing up for. 

Now they made up a new disease to give a name to what everyone knew was happening. It used to be called punch drunk when boxers had one too many fights. They're doing this to cash in. Let's get the lawyers involved and see what happens. 

These studies are totally biased, and use statistics to make things seem much worse than they are. Just the way they do with every other "science" that the lawyers get a hold of.

If you really want to save lives do some studies on the dangers of driving, and then no one will drive a car ever again. around 35,000 people die each year in the U.S. alone from car accidents. I say it's time we stop this terrible epidemic. Think of the children. Will someone please think of the children? 

The fact is that 100% of all people born in the United states is going to die. 100%. My God Something must be done, and done now. 

7 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

There is a chance that the twinkies could get the NFL shut down but otherwise it will continue just as it has for 100 years.

It's like smoking...We didn't know it was bad. People are not stupid, and everyone knew breathing in burning tobacco leaves was bad for you. When you choked up a lung the first time you smoked, and had to build a tolerance for it you knew. When you got winded climbing the stairs you knew. You're breathing in god damn burning leaves for Christ's sake. Come on.

People always knew getting hit in the head was bad for you. It's ridiculous. Every generation thinks the one before was ignorant. All you had to do was take the field for a couple plays and you knew this was going to leave a mark. It takes a rare breed to play NFL football but they each and everyone knew what they were signing up for. 

Now they made up a new disease to give a name to what everyone knew was happening. It used to be called punch drunk when boxers had one too many fights. They're doing this to cash in. Let's get the lawyers involved and see what happens. 

These studies are totally biased, and use statistics to make things seem much worse than they are. Just the way they do with every other "science" that the lawyers get a hold of.

If you really want to save lives do some studies on the dangers of driving, and then no one will drive a car ever again. around 35,000 people die each year in the U.S. alone from car accidents. I say it's time we stop this terrible epidemic. Think of the children. Will someone please think of the children? 

The fact is that 100% of all people born in the United states is going to die. 100%. My God Something must be done, and done now. 

Tobacco is a great point.  I smoked for 13 years, I knew it was bad but didn't understand how bad it could be later on in life until I was in my late 20s.  I no longer smoke, everyone I know has quit smoking and for the most part it looks like big tobacco has lost a ton mind share as even the kids have moved on to healthier alternatives like vaping.  So yes great example of what a 10+ year war on negative messaging to an industry that people knew was bad but didn't understand how bad it was until they were educated on it by a national campaign.  I mean its obvious if you look at the 60s and 70s and the rate of smoking and compare it to today in the US.  Its drastically less, more than halved easily.  That's not to say that Big Tobacco don't still make money off the poor and the developing countries of the world as they def do.  But that is also a direct correlation with being uneducated to the understanding of how bad it can be. 

Your car example is terrible.  Self Transportation is a NEED in most of America outside of populated urban centers.  If people didn't have to drive they wouldn't, not just b/c its dangerous and reckless if you are intoxicated or not of a focused mind but because its expensive and inconvenient.  The younger generation uses Uber/Lyft everywhere b/c they don't want to drive and don't want the burden of owning a vehicle.  Over the next 2 generations we will slowly become more of a service oriented society and a not an ownership society. This is especially true with the rise of automation and artificial intelligence.

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

I'd agree with this in the past but it seems like consensus sentiment is really starting to shift toward getting the gravity of the head trauma.

i hate the skirts in the QB and think those rules are pansy and some of the unavoidable bang-bang secondary hits but overall yeah it's a problem and people are coming to terms it seems 

If you're an owner the players are your product.  Expensive product that they invest millions in.  Last thing they want to do is lost their investment and product.  It's going to happen whether we like it or not.

19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

• 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL writer
  • Published: July 30, 2017 at 08:41 a.m.
  • Updated: July 30, 2017 at 10:42 a.m.

Rob Ninkovich is going out on a high note. 

The Super Bowl champion is expected to announce his retirement today after 11 seasons, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports. Ninkovich has been discussing his possible retirement with head coach Bill Belichick for some time. 

Ninkovich, 33, signed with the New England Patriots as a rather anonymous figure in 2009 after stints with the New Orleans Saintsand Miami Dolphins. Since then, he's been in the thick of it. 

Ninkovich never made a Pro Bowl, but you'd be hard pressed to find a more consistent, reliable player during his run in New England. 

For his career, Ninkovich earned 460 tackles, 46 sacks, and 88 QB Hits in 131 games (101 starts). Since 2010, Ninkovich is one of two players in NFL with 400-plus tackles and 40-plus sacks, per NFL Research. Ninkovich: 420 tackles, 45.0 sacks; Calais Campbell: 425 tackles, 49.5 sacks. 

Ninkovich retires with the fifth-most sacks in Patriots history, behind only Andre Tippett (100), Willie McGinest (78), Chris Slade (51), and Mike Vrabel (48). 

In 2016, Ninkovich had 31 tackles, earned four sacks -- which was tied for third most on the Patriots -- and five QB hits in 12 games. He also walked away with the second Lombardi Trophy of his career

give ninkovich his due.  he's a prime example of a guy who came to play every day and was put into the right position by the coaching staff.  nothing flashy just a football player.  and as others have said, good riddance because he seemingly played the jets extra hard.

6 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Tobacco is a great point.  I smoked for 13 years, I knew it was bad but didn't understand how bad it could be later on in life until I was in my late 20s.  I no longer smoke, everyone I know has quit smoking and for the most part it looks like big tobacco has lost a ton mind share as even the kids have moved on to healthier alternatives like vaping.  So yes great example of what a 10+ year war on negative messaging to an industry that people knew was bad but didn't understand how bad it was until they were educated on it by a national campaign.  I mean its obvious if you look at the 60s and 70s and the rate of smoking and compare it to today in the US.  Its drastically less, more than halved easily.  That's not to say that Big Tobacco don't still make money off the poor and the developing countries of the world as they def do.  But that is also a direct correlation with being uneducated to the understanding of how bad it can be. 

Your car example is terrible.  Self Transportation is a NEED in most of America outside of populated urban centers.  If people didn't have to drive they wouldn't, not just b/c its dangerous and reckless if you are intoxicated or not of a focused mind but because its expensive and inconvenient.  The younger generation uses Uber/Lyft everywhere b/c they don't want to drive and don't want the burden of owning a vehicle.  Over the next 2 generations we will slowly become more of a service oriented society and a not an ownership society. This is especially true with the rise of automation and artificial intelligence.

No one needs to drive. Of course it's incredibly convenient, but hardly a need. Can we please test people's reflexes, and coordination before giving them a licence to drive a 2 ton killing machine? Let's especially test their composure in a crisis situation. Sorry but your need to drive does not supersede your ability to do it.  

I think You're confusing accepted practice for we didn't know how bad it was. It was the people that didn't smoke that stopped others from smoking. Once the critical mass was reached it snowballed quickly. Instead of peer pressure to smoke you now had the opposite. 

The problem I have is that they did this by stretching the truth to it's breaking point, and really all in a bid to grab money and power. If you think the government cares if you smoke you're wrong. If you smoke you have a 10-12% chance of getting cancer by age 50. Now the risk of getting cancer for normal people is just slightly lower. Once you get into your 60s and beyond your chance of getting cancer jumps to close to 50% for everyone. We are living longer so it's actually true that smoking is worse for you nowadays. You may live long enough for it to effect you more.

I would like the scientists to tell us the truth like adults. Just like climate change, the truth is bad enough without fear mongering. 

You have a 100% chance of filling your lungs with tar, and hardening your arteries. Thus making your heart and lungs work harder, and lowering your immune system. These things all contribute to the diseases they say smoking causes. It does not cause them but will exacerbate them, and expedite their onset. You do have an extremely high chance of developing emphysema. It also stinks, and makes your teeth yellow.  

They will attempt to do these same things with CTE. Lying with statistics to make everything seem worse than it is instead of just telling us the truth which is bad enough.

It's for your own good don't you know. 

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

give ninkovich his due.  he's a prime example of a guy who came to play every day and was put into the right position by the coaching staff.  nothing flashy just a football player.  and as others have said, good riddance because he seemingly played the jets extra hard.

because they cheated

5 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

No one needs to drive. Of course it's incredibly convenient, but hardly a need. Can we please test people's reflexes, and coordination before giving them a licence to drive a 2 ton killing machine? Let's especially test their composure in a crisis situation. Sorry but your need to drive does not supersede your ability to do it.  

I think You're confusing accepted practice for we didn't know how bad it was. It was the people that didn't smoke that stopped others from smoking. Once the critical mass was reached it snowballed quickly. Instead of peer pressure to smoke you now had the opposite. 

The problem I have is that they did this by stretching the truth to it's breaking point, and really all in a bid to grab money and power. If you think the government cares if you smoke you're wrong. If you smoke you have a 10-12% chance of getting cancer by age 50. Now the risk of getting cancer for normal people is just slightly lower. Once you get into your 60s and beyond your chance of getting cancer jumps to close to 50% for everyone. We are living longer so it's actually true that smoking is worse for you nowadays. You may live long enough for it to effect you more.

I would like the scientists to tell us the truth like adults. Just like climate change, the truth is bad enough without fear mongering. 

You have a 100% chance of filling your lungs with tar, and hardening your arteries. Thus making your heart and lungs work harder, and lowering your immune system. These things all contribute to the diseases they say smoking causes. It does not cause them but will exacerbate them, and expedite their onset. You do have an extremely high chance of developing emphysema. It also stinks, and makes your teeth yellow.  

They will attempt to do these same things with CTE. Lying with statistics to make everything seem worse than it is instead of just telling us the truth which is bad enough.

It's for your own good don't you know. 

Riding motorcycles is a better example.  It is not a matter of if you wreck, it is when you wreck.  And they wear helmets, most of the time.

12 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Riding motorcycles is a better example.  It is not a matter of if you wreck, it is when you wreck.  And they wear helmets, most of the time.

If you make it through your first wreck on a bike you usually become much more aware of your surroundings. those crazy rice rocket guys usually die, but that's on them.

They're also usually much more capable drivers than those who only drive cars, and they usually don't kill other people. 

They give a car licence to anyone that can drive around 5 miles per hour in a parking lot, then they don't retest them ever, but they complain about gun licences being too easy to get. 

Archived