Mac's first round picks

AFJF

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

The Adams pick is still not a great pick, IF 5 years from now the Jets are still trotting out 38 year old bridge QB's while Watson, or Mahomes are taking their teams to the playoffs no matter how great Adams is the pick was a failure considering the absolute dire need for a QB the Jets had/have.

Dude, Mac got crucified for picking Hackenberg early.

Imagine what would have happened had he picked Watson or Mahomes at 6.

NOBODY had those guys going that early.  Mahomes may be good, but he will have the benefit for sitting behind Smith and have a great team in place.  Watson steps into a team with a GREAT offense.  Even if we did draft them, we could have ruined them before they had a chance to be good.

4 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I know right...guys like shell starting at RT a year after being drafted in the 5th what a bust, and Jordan jenkins in the 3rd hasn't even made one probowl bust and burris and peak you barely see...who drafts developmental players beyond as early as the 4th - 7th round come on now.

His first draft wasn't spectacular outside of Leonard Williams. Petty looks alright I think he was a good value in the fourth and Deion Simon in the 7th was pretty good for his draft position. Devin Smith I would have loved to see more of unfortunatly he has been as fragile as dee milliner.

Not going to go over the newest draft as it is way too early to judge these kids based off of four game some of them are showing good flashes though haven't seen or heard much bad from them. 

Either way not every draft pick is going to be a future pro bowler I think your expectations are a bit unrealistic if you honestly believe that most of our picks in the passed three years have been busts relative to their draft spots. I would love to see a list of teams you believe have done a better job in the passed three years along with an explanation of why their round 2-7 guys are better than ours. 

I don't need to compare Mac to other GM when I know Shell is starting out of necessity. While him n Jordan jenkins may not be decent, they aren't exactly players that can save Macs job if it came down to it. Burris and Peake? Meh. As for developmental picks beyond "4th-7th", I think we can adjust that to '2nd-7th'.

And don't even get me started on his FA home runs. 

If only the GM job was assessed only on picks made in the top 10.  

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

They do this year. Wasted opportunity IMO is worse than no opportunity

Well, thank God our GM has not weighed us down with the burden of opportunity!

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Someone said it earlier, the biggest true  knock on Maccagnan in his tenure here is Hackenberg. All the other stuff that is mentioned on here us either nitpicking/looking for faults/ mistakes that every GM makes.

It's a big knock for sure, but that's basically it

Every GM make mistakes, but what decisions has he made that weren't?  His two top ten 1sts? You don't just give a guy a pass for his first two 2nd round picks and then look at the rest of his drafts and say "Well, everybody makes mistakes!"

3 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Not sure why you think my expectation of Mac is for him to hit on ALL the picks. 

How many then?  He's drafted 22 players.  From those players, there are many of them playing anywhere from good to great with many more buried on the depth chart or injured who will get a chance later in the season or next year.

26 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Dude, Mac got crucified for picking Hackenberg early.

Imagine what would have happened had he picked Watson or Mahomes at 6.

NOBODY had those guys going that early.  Mahomes may be good, but he will have the benefit for sitting behind Smith and have a great team in place.  Watson steps into a team with a GREAT offense.  Even if we did draft them, we could have ruined them before they had a chance to be good.

NOBODY had Hack graded higher than a 4th. We took him in the 2nd. Many boards had Watson n Mahomes as 1st round picks. 

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

NOBODY had Hack graded higher than a 4th. We took him in the 2nd. Many boards had Watson n Mahomes as 1st round picks. 

How do  you know this is true?

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Well, thank God our GM has not weighed us down with the burden of opportunity!

Every GM make mistakes, but what decisions has he made that weren't?  His two top ten 1sts? You don't just give a guy a pass for his first two 2nd round picks and then look at the rest of his drafts and say "Well, everybody makes mistakes!"

Devin Smith succumbed to injuries. That's not his fault. He gets a pass for that. He has to, logically.

Hackenberg is the knock pure and simple.

Draft picks/UDFAs that have contributed positively in some fashion this year alone drafted under Mac

Jamal Adams

Marcus Maye

Lachlan Edwards

Robby Anderson

Brandon Shell

Elijah McGuire

Juston Burris 

ArDarius Stewart

Leonard Williams ( being double teamed opens up lanes for others)

The Macc Draft resume So Far:

2017    1    6    Jamal Adams    S    - Starter/playing well so far
2017    2    39    Marcus Maye    S  - Starter/playing well so far

2017    3    79    ArDarius Stewart    WR  - Backup     
2017    4    141    Chad Hansen    WR  - Backup
2017    5    150    Jordan Leggett    TE - ?? Whats up with him, is he hurt?  I forget.  3rd Stringer to-date.
2017    5    181    Dylan Donahue    DL  - Contributor on D so far in 2017
2017    6    188    Elijah McGuire    RB  - looks good so far, #2 RB   
2017    6    197    Jeremy Clark    CB   - who? Not on Roster.
2017    6    204    Derrick Jones    CB   - who?  Third Stringer.

2016    1    20    Darron Lee    OLB   - Disappointment, but a starter.
2016    2    51    Christian Hackenberg    QB    - Total Bust so far at the most vital position

2016    3    83    Jordan Jenkins    OLB    - Starter, kinda meh 
2016    4    118    Juston Burris    CB     - Backup, definitely meh
2016    5    158    Brandon Shell    T   - maybe a bit better than meh, could be a starter
2016    7    235    Lac Edwards    P   - starter, but meh punter
2016    7    241    Charone Peake    WR    - meh WR, 3rd String

2015    1    6    Leonard Williams    DE  - quiet stud, not the pass rusher hoped for
2015    2    37    Devin Smith    WR    - bust/injuries
2015    3    82    Lorenzo Mauldin    OLB    - starter sorta, IR at current
2015    4    103    Bryce Petty    QB    - bust/backup
2015    5    152    Jarvis Harrison    G    - who?
2015    7    223    Deon Simon    NT  - Starter, Solid     

Just now, Warfish said:

The Macc Draft resume So Far:

2017    1    6    Jamal Adams    S    - Starter/playing well so far
2017    2    39    Marcus Maye    S  - Starter/playing well so far
2017    3    79    ArDarius Stewart    WR  - Backup     
2017    4    141    Chad Hansen    WR  - Backup
2017    5    150    Jordan Leggett    TE - ?? Whats up with him, is he hurt?  I forget.
2017    5    181    Dylan Donahue    DL  - Contributor on D so far in 2017
2017    6    188    Elijah McGuire    RB  - looks good so far, #2 RB   
2017    6    197    Jeremy Clark    CB   - who?
2017    6    204    Derrick Jones    CB   - who?

2016    1    20    Darron Lee    OLB   - Disappointment, but a starter.
2016    2    51    Christian Hackenberg    QB    - Total Bust so far at the most vital position
2016    3    83    Jordan Jenkins    OLB    22   - meh 
2016    4    118    Juston Burris    CB    23    - meh
2016    5    158    Brandon Shell    T    24   - maybe a bit better than meh
2016    7    235    Lac Edwards    P    24    - meh punter
2016    7    241    Charone Peake    WR    - meh WR

2015    1    6    Leonard Williams    DE  - quiet stud, not the pass rusher hoped for
2015    2    37    Devin Smith    WR    - bust
2015    3    82    Lorenzo Mauldin    OLB    - starter sorta, for now
2015    4    103    Bryce Petty    QB    - bust/backup
2015    5    152    Jarvis Harrison    G    - who?
2015    7    223    Deon Simon    NT  - Starter     

Legget has been hurt. I think you should also note injuries as a factor.

Smith succumbed to injuries. 

But mostly what you have there is correct. Hackenberg is the biggest knock on him

26 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Someone said it earlier, the biggest true  knock on Maccagnan in his tenure here is Hackenberg. All the other stuff that is mentioned on here us either nitpicking/looking for faults/ mistakes that every GM makes.

It's a big knock for sure, but that's basically it

So many GMs start all over and rebuild 3 years after a rebuild. 

6 hours ago, j4jets said:

Unfortunately, the draft isn't about the top 6. One can make the argument that when Mac has had to pick outside the top 6, he fails. Picking a stud DL (who has been invisible this year for some reason) and a Safety (hold your horses, he's not the GOAT just yet) with a top 6 pick isn't exactly something to be pounding your chest over when most other picks have been busts relative to their draft spot. 

That argument can't be made that well.

I don't have the time at the moment to look up pick by pick, but for every Smith and Hackenberg, he has a pick elsewhere that is a good later round pick.

Maye, Jenkins, Simon, Shell, Stewart, McGuire, Donahue, Burris all are decent players, or have shown flashes of good potential in their rookie season.

That's not counting someone like Petty, who is probably at minimum a capable NFL backup, which is fine for a 4th round QB, or guys like Hansen or Leggett who could be decent players, or Edwards who is a middle of the road punter in year 2

Nor does it account for Robbue Anderson, who was a very good UDFA find.

I don't think Macc has been great, but I think the fact that the people he has missed on the most, Smith, Lee, and Hack were also people the fan base generally weren't fans of to begin with.  So then thosea misses are magnified even more, and people don't give him credit for some pretty solid drafting in other areas.

52 minutes ago, AFJF said:

How many then?  He's drafted 22 players.  From those players, there are many of them playing anywhere from good to great with many more buried on the depth chart or injured who will get a chance later in the season or next year.

Many more?  Buried on the depth chart?  On the ******* Jets?  What position do they have worthwhile players burying kids on the depth chart?  I will give you D-line.  Last year I will give you WR, but this year they had guys walk in and play WR that hadn't even seen the playbook until after the 4th preseason game. Where else are we so stacked that depth is holding these kids back?  Breno held back Shell?  Is Darryl Roberts stifling the development of Juston Burris?  Who are these players?  

There aren't even many starting, let along playing good to great. 

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Many more?  Buried on the depth chart?  On the ******* Jets?  What position do they have worthwhile players burying kids on the depth chart?  I will give you D-line.  Last year I will give you WR, but this year they had guys walk in and play WR that hadn't even seen the playbook until after the 4th preseason game. Where else are we so stacked that depth is holding these kids back?  Breno held back Shell?  Is Darryl Roberts stifling the development of Juston Burris?  Who are these players?  

There aren't even many starting, let along playing good to great. 

I was referring to Stewart and Hansen being planted on the bench for Kerley along with Simon going to the PS after they went with a more natural NT in Pennel.

Just b/c guys walked in and were handed jobs doesn’t mean Stewart and Hansen can’t play.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Remember when Mangini drafted a CB1, a LT, and a C who were all All-Pros.

Yes, I do remember when Tanny drafted those guys.  Hell of a draft.

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I was referring to Stewart and Hansen being planted on the bench for Kerley along with Simon going to the PS after they went with a more natural NT in Pennel.

Just b/c guys walked in and were handed jobs doesn’t mean Stewart and Hansen can’t play.

What does it mean?  I understand these are young talented guys and it may take some time to reach full potential, but Jeremy Kerley signed and walked in front of them. If they were near ready, they would not have gone out and gotten replacements.  Simon is basically a FA, being beaten out by Mike Pennel and Steve McClendon does not constitute being buried on the depth chart. Simon was a 7th, so it isn't like a burned pick, but that isn't somebody that you get to point to as a hit either. 

I do agree some of these guys should get more run as the season wears on.  That absolves those two WRs, Leggett and McGuire and I guess Dylan Donahue.  OTOH, having David Bass leapfrog you in the rotation so quickly is exactly what I was talking about with the others.  I am interested in Clark and Jones, but either panning out seems very unlikely.  Does anybody know what it is up with Clark? He was on the non-football injury list all along, but he tore his ACL over a year ago.  Is there a timeline?

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

What does it mean?  I understand these are young talented guys and it may take some time to reach full potential, but Jeremy Kerley signed and walked in front of them. If they were near ready, they would not have gone out and gotten replacements.  Simon is basically a FA, being beaten out by Mike Pennel and Steve McClendon does not constitute being buried on the depth chart. Simon was a 7th, so it isn't like a burned pick, but that isn't somebody that you get to point to as a hit either. 

I do agree some of these guys should get more run as the season wears on.  That absolvesthose two WRs, Leggett and McGuire and I guess Dylan Donahue.  OTOH, having David Bass leapfrog you in the rotation so quickly is exactly what I was talking about with the others.  I am interested in Clark and Jones, but either panning out seems very unlikely.  Does anybody know what it is up with Clark? He was on the non-football injury list all along, but he tore his ACL over a year ago.  Is there a timeline?

It means Bowles likes his vets, which we already know.

I think Bass got the nod because Martin is out, but may be playing himself into the starting role.

I'd love to know what the real deal is with Leggett.  They're being completely silent and not giving a time frame on return while they carry FIVE TEs.

Clark may not play this year and Jones is one of the more intriguing guys on the roster.  Freak athlete who showed gradual improvement during the pre-season.

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

And I agree with he reached for Hack.  Nobody on the this board or any board or expert would say otherwise.

So, you think he is going to reach, and it would have been a HUGE reach, to go with Watson or Mahomes at 6?  You don't get the luxury of seeing how Watson has progressed (and given it is ONLY four games so far).  You get to sit in the seat, picking 6th, and try and make that call.  You just (basically) wasted a 2nd round pick on Hackenberg.  You want to pin your career on either of those QB's with the 6th round pick, and knowing they have zero talent around them?

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I do agree some of these guys should get more run as the season wears on.  That absolves those two WRs, Leggett and McGuire and I guess Dylan Donahue.  OTOH, having David Bass leapfrog you in the rotation so quickly is exactly what I was talking about with the others.  I am interested in Clark and Jones, but either panning out seems very unlikely.  Does anybody know what it is up with Clark? He was on the non-football injury list all along, but he tore his ACL over a year ago.  Is there a timeline?

It means Bowles is coaching for his job and would rather go with a slightly above average JAG in Kerley than to bet on the rookies doing anything. 

Simon should be getting snaps.  He showed he could play in the little sample he has got.  Let's see what he is, rather than trotting out guys like McClendon and Pennel who are average at best at clogging the middle.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It means Bowles likes his vets, which we already know.

I think Bass got the nod because Martin is out, but may be playing himself into the starting role.

I'd love to know what the real deal is with Leggett.  They're being completely silent and not giving a time frame on return while they carry FIVE TEs.

Clark may not play this year and Jones is one of the more intriguing guys on the roster.  Freak athlete who showed gradual improvement during the pre-season.

Martin is another one.  These are not the kind of guys that hold draft picks down.  Leggett has supposedly had a knee and hasn't even practiced.  I don't anticipate him seeing the field for weeks.  

Clark not playing this year can't be good.  I would like to see Jones make an impact on specials.  If he doesn't make a push there, I don't think we will see him active. Peake being out may be an opportunity for him.  

Archived