What Parcells sees in Sam Darnold,who got his ultimate compliment

joewilly12

4 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I don't think the two ideas are exclusive of each other. The kid has to be talented and physically gifted. Then the kid has to work his ass off to become more than he already is. Meanwhile the the organization has to handle him correctly. If the kid doesn't have talent it isn't going to just manifest from nowhere. If an organization sucks and the kid is talented but lazy it isn't going to work out.

I think the later is self evident...

Obviously you must have talent to begin or you wouldn't even be considered... but there were THOUSANDS of posts which suggested that either you have "it" or your don't, and that the HORRIFIC and revolving coaching  that the Jets have displayed for years has had no impact on QB development, when IMO it has...

2 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

I cannot stand Todd Bowles and do not think he is anywhere near a good HC, but canning him now would just set Darnold back the way losing Gailey set Petty back. Petty looked like he was making strides in 2016, but regressed badly under Morton. Bowles needs to stay as far away as possible from Darnold and not interfere with his development. I hope Darnold is a "natural talent" and takes this team on his shoulders.

I don't think Bowles has much to do with the offense.  Petty looked better under Gailey because Gailey ran more spread concepts, similar to what Petty ran at Baylor.  I don't think Petty is suited to run the west coast offense.  The switch was supposed to help Hackenberg along, but as he dropped back behind Petty it became obvious that no matter they system being able to hit the ocean is a prerequisite for an NFL QB.

5 hours ago, slats said:

Darnold wasn't my first choice, but I'm definitely coming around on him. I like the low-key "football player" attitude. I like that he's big, strong, and seemingly durable. I like that he seems to just want to work. His teammates loved him at USC, and everyone says he's a natural leader. He's got the exact correct disposition to help keep the team's chuckleheads on the straight and narrow. A guy like Robby Anderson, say, should be able to recognize what's going to be expected of him if he's going to continue catching passes from our new franchise QB. 

Yup. I remember a NFL films clip of Peyton Manning when they were gathering in huddle after a play and a WR was jawing with a CB yelling from huddle. Manning yells out "(Insert players name) Shut the hell up and get your head in the game AND huddle (pause)...NOW"

39 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I think the later is self evident...

Obviously you must have talent to begin or you wouldn't even be considered... but there were THOUSANDS of posts which suggested that either you have "it" or your don't, and that the HORRIFIC and revolving coaching  that the Jets have displayed for years has had no impact on QB development, when IMO it has...

I mean so you say that, paging Hackenburg. All kidding aside I agree coaching is very important. I'm a strong believer that a coach isn't there to be an ugly male cheerleader.

8 hours ago, The Crusher said:

He thinks defense can win championships. Literally. 

yeah well that happens once every 10 years Bucs, Ravens, Broncos, and we certainly do not have a dominating Defense like those teams so Todd better start focusing on offense and Ship Kacy Rogers to McDonalds

On 4/30/2018 at 8:21 AM, flgreen said:

Think you are going to be pleasantly surprised with Chris Herndon.  IMO he is as good as any TE in this draft.  He is faster then he measured, he had an MCL late in the season and wasn't quite ready to run post season.  He also is a much better blocker then being given credit for.  Won't pancake people, but is very aggressive in space.

He'll probably play H type back, or a slot TE.  He is going to create major mismatches.  IMO if it weren't for the MCL he would have been taken 1st round or early 2nd.  Jets got a steal

From your mouth...

On 4/30/2018 at 12:55 PM, Jetsplayer21 said:

I agree. He screwed the jets over many ways. So of course many jet fans will have an extreme bias towards him. But I’m glad somebody is trying to get through Bowles thick head. Put your defense in the backseat for once and get darnold the support on O he deserves. If Bowles treats the offense needs anywhere close to the way he has pushed Mac to spend and draft on his D all these past yrs, darnold is going to be a very successful qb.

He took a 1-15 team to the AFC title game in 2 years and we led 10-0 in the 2nd half of that game.  And had we held on, we had already beaten Atlanta pretty solidly in the regular season.  That 1998 team was the closest we've had to a Superbowl winner probably since Namath.  On top of that, he stepped aside to keep Belichick as our next HC.  I know people say "BB wanted out from under BP's shadow".  Again, we have no way to know that.  And I'm fairly sure BB said he left due to the uncertainty of who would replace Leon Hess.  Apparently BB wasn't a fan of Woody or James Dolan.

On 4/30/2018 at 12:51 PM, Ex-Rex said:

Man I am so tired of the "hero worship" Parcells gets from Jets fans. This guy screwed us six ways to Sunday during his tenure. Piss poor drafting - and passing on Peyton Manning - and then leaving, but not leaving enough to keep Belichick in house. I couldn't care less that Parcells thinks Darnold is a "football player". I already know it.

Peyton Manning stayed in school after his Sophomore and Junior seasons.  He wasn't an option for Parcells.  Of if you're referring to "but he wouldn't guarantee Archie that Peyton would be his pick" we don't know that to be the case.

On 4/29/2018 at 9:53 PM, joewilly12 said:

It’s not just the head coach. It’s the whole organization. It’s everyone. You’ve got to help him succeed. You’ve got to help him win. That’s what he wants to do.”

This is the crucial thing, imo. Once you draft the QB that high, the whole mission of the organization changes to fostering that QB’s development, and that mission spans from the owner to the PR staff to the equipment guys to the coaches and personnel people. Everyone’s life depends on that one dude not busting, or getting dragged in the papers, or getting photographed bringing 17 year old chicks to Momofuku. You have to mimic his college offense, get him the types of receivers he’s comfortable with and tailor your whole offseason program around getting him the right kind of exposure on and off the field. You can’t just draft the guy and think you’ve reached the QB mountaintop.

Archived