Jets risky plan giving Darron Lee more responsibility

Patriot Killa

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Yes.  I do.  Did they replace Darron Lee in the lineup?  If they didn't, they didn't upgrade jack **** at his position.  They upgraded at the ILB position opposite him.  You know this.  I don't know why you would try to argue.  It's quite stupid.  That's like saying they upgraded over Brian Winters by signing Carpenter.

Well, HawkeyeJet, a team that plays a 3-4 and a nickel/big dime as often as the Jets do, play 2 ILB'ers almost exclusively for the entire game.   When a team selects an ILB in the 1st round of the NFL draft, it's safe to assume said player would be the #1 guy at that position group,  Why else take a non-premium position in the 1st round?  Unfortunately for the Jets, that has not been the case when it comes to Daron Lee. In fact, he sucks.  Therefore, since being drafted, the Jets have looked to "upgrade" the position by trading for Demario Davis (who was the best player on the Jets last year) who they thought was expendable just the year before because they drafted Lee.  They also baked cupcakes for Donte Hightower to be their #1 guy.  They let Davis walk this offseason, but once again that didnt stop the Jets from going out and finding not 1, but 2, ILB'ers who are better players than Daron Lee - Avery Williamson and Kevin Minter.  Therefore, the Jets looked to upgrade their #1 ILB who will probably take the majority of the snaps (Demario Davis played 100% of the defensive snaps last year, only player on D who did). 

Not grasping such a simple construct of an NFL defense, is indeed, quite stupid.  You're example is cute but those guys actually you know, play like a different position and stuff but I'm sure in your mind Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye play the same position too, so why argue, right? 

18 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

It is fan talk

Year    Team                      Comb    Total    Ast    Sck    SFTY    PDef    Int
2017    Seattle Seahawks    44         27       17     1.0     --         1         1       
2016    New York Jets         62         38       24     1.5     --         2         --

Please.  Look at him BEFORE Bowles got to him and after.  He's probably still recovering from the damage Bowles did to his career.  Todd and KC are AWFUL.  

Also, I know people like copying and pasting stats, and according to PFF, he was above average last year.

Richardson, who was acquired from the New York Jets prior to Week 1 of the 2017 season, enjoyed a productive first year with the team and has publicly expressed his desire to remain with the Seahawks going forward. However, If the Seahawks do decide to let Richardson walk, several teams could pursue the 27-year-old, as he was a force in both the run game and in the pass-rush this year. Through 17 weeks of the 2017 season, Richardson racked up 36 total quarterback pressures and 22 run stops, which ranked ninth and 17th among defensive tackles this year, respectively.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-key-stats-on-pffs-top-15-impending-free-agents

23 hours ago, section314 said:

Good point, but you could probably make the same case for the 50-60% of corners drafted every year who stink that they had the same evaluation.

Except when you are evaluating corners you have a much larger sample size of them in coverage.  The problem with Lee was the incorrect assumption because of his “athletic ability” he would be good in coverage, when in fact he never really showed that ability in college.  Combine that with his safety like body and you have what we are looking at now, a very flawed and wasted draft pick.  

18 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Please.  Look at him BEFORE Bowles got to him and after.  He's probably still recovering from the damage Bowles did to his career.  Todd and KC are AWFUL.  

Also, I know people like copying and pasting stats, and according to PFF, he was above average last year.

Richardson, who was acquired from the New York Jets prior to Week 1 of the 2017 season, enjoyed a productive first year with the team and has publicly expressed his desire to remain with the Seahawks going forward. However, If the Seahawks do decide to let Richardson walk, several teams could pursue the 27-year-old, as he was a force in both the run game and in the pass-rush this year. Through 17 weeks of the 2017 season, Richardson racked up 36 total quarterback pressures and 22 run stops, which ranked ninth and 17th among defensive tackles this year, respectively.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-key-stats-on-pffs-top-15-impending-free-agents

I was really hoping for a Revis-type situation where the Jets got the pick and then the player back a year later, except that Richardson would be good. 

On 7/11/2018 at 1:41 PM, Creepy Lurker said:

I’m just thinking out loud but since his coverage skills have not translated and he has great speed when blitizing, would it make sense to have him jam tight ends at the line to disrupt timing and just blitz the QB? Seems like something he can excel at but not sure if this Is practical as I am not an X and O expert. Just trying to utilize what he may actually be able to do well. 

Neither is Bowles or Rodgers.  I think this is a good idea.

21 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Just a waste of a draft pick. Stuff like this exactly why we haven’t been in the playoffs for 7 years. I really want to believe in Maccagnan, but despite the trade up and (fortunate) selection of Darnold, he needs to get better at drafting. 

Lee is just brutal. Homeless person’s Vilma

Archived