holders) let's take a look at what happened:

General Notes

- Players in shorts & shells

- Practice ran for 2 hours and 40 minutes

- Brant Boyer (STC) "held class" as he went over the new KO rules that will be
implemented this year:
  * No wedges
  * No running start for players in coverage
  * Balanced formations (5 players on either side of the K)

- The penalties were reduced for the majority of practice but increased dramatically
in the final 30 minutes.  Players were tired, but coaches got on them to fight through
because penalties at the end of games "get you beat"

- The defense had a better day as they improved against the run and zone blocking

Player Notes

- An absolutely "beastly" performance by Nathan Shepherd as he was unblockable.  He had
at minimum 5 TFL's and pressed the pocket with bull rushes & swim moves.  In 1 on 1 drills
he put a devastating swim move on James Carpenter which had him grasping at air.  It was
an "anti-Wilkerson" performance it'll be interesting to see him in pads

- Darron Lee had a good day with a near INT on a slant in a red zone period (dropped).  Good
pressure up the middle on blitzes and improved coverage in space during 7 on 7's

- Derrick Jones the converted CB, impressed with two INT's.  Both were against Josh McCown, one
was a diving pick during red zone and the other was during 7 on 7 where he jumped a route over
the middle of the field

- I watched Antonio Garcia the LT we picked up from NE, he has a frame similar to Brick when
he first broke in.  He needs to improve his strength but he showed good awareness in picking
up delayed blitzes

- Chris Herndon had the offensive play of the day with a diving one handed TD from McCown
during red zone

- OLinemen who impressed during 1 on 1 drills were Dakota Dozier and Brandon Shell who were
stoning people.  Spencer Long continued to impress with his ability to re-anchor his feet
and regain his balance if a DLineman gets underneath him.  He's not Mangold but if he stays
healthy he'll be a tremendous upgrade over Wesley Johnson

- Foley Fatukasi showed up in run defense as he generated at least two TFL's.  He's not as
advanced in rushing the QB but let's see how he develops

- Leonard Williams flashed in 1 on 1 drills and got a "sack" during 11 on 11's

QB

- Josh McCown threw two INT's as I mentioned before but he was his normal self with a lot 
of completions and plays that kept the offense moving

- Teddy Bridgewater was much sharper in his ball placement and accuracy today and the one
big difference was he wore his trademark gloves.  On Friday he went barehanded and after
seeing his performance today he shouldn't do that anymore  

Keep An Eye On

- Obum Gwachum an OLB, he had a "sack" on Friday and continued to bring edge pressure today
with another "sack".  Let's see what he does when the pads come on, he has a long/lean frame
similar to Jason Taylor

- Shaneil Jenkins the DE we picked up today.  In his first practice he had a couple of TFL's
in run support and showed some pass rushing promise in 1 on 1 drills

Concerns

- Let's see the running game by the offense bounce back on Sunday.  On Friday they got what
they wanted but today the defense responded

- The Darnold contract nonsense

Standouts

- Nathan Shepherd

- Derrick Jones

KRL, back at it again with the great reporting. You and Glenn do such a great job! Much love and appreciation to y’all.‼️ 

I think this draft class is going to be good for a change, guys. I love how Nathan Shepherd plays and I also really admire his demonor and how he presents himself. Respectful and humble off the field, violent and relentless on the field. Lots of people hated this pick and felt he needed to be good immediately to get back anything for spending a 3rd round pick on him...ladies I think he’s gonna do just that!

Parry Nickerson is a blazing ball hawk with great instincts and how he will develop is going to be huge. Herndon has flashed in minicamp and now training camp. I love what he brings to the table. Good blocker, solid hands, solid route runner and he’ll only get better. Foley looks to be a factor in the run game and we’ll just have to see how he develops but for two 6th round picks, Parry/Foley look really good. I don’t remember seeing our 6th round picks show this music promise so early. 

Aside from the rookies, Hansen looks good, Donahue, our young corners and so on. It’s encourging that the stand out players are guys from the last two drafts.

Lots to be excited about. Can’t wait until tomorrow. Pads are on!

Starting to heat up.

quick thoughts--

• I really hope this year is different; we've long been sold the "holy hell! this DLINE looks nasty".... never translates in-season
  • Derrick Jones is the forgotten man here after spending last year on IR(?)... i love his size. Hoping he displaces Burris, who's had his chance
  • Are any of these OLBs gonna stand up and stake a claim?

I was at practice today, but I only got to see them practice for about 10 minutes due to my lack of tolerance of the blazing heat and my 5 year old constantly reminding me of how boring he found the practice to be. The only thing that really stood out to me was the play of Derrick Jones (I saw him pick off McCown in the end zone) and how large Jeremy Clark looks. 

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

I was at practice today, but I only got to see them practice for about 10 minutes due to my lack of tolerance of the blazing heat and my 5 year old constantly reminding me of how boring he found the practice to be. The only thing that really stood out to me was the play of Derrick Jones (I saw him pick off McCown in the end zone) and how large Jeremy Clark looks. 

Quitter!!!!!     ;)

excited about the pads being on tomorrow ... & finding out if the promising candidates so far ... Continue to shine!

thx KRL

This defense still needs an edge rusher to step up. A 3rd down guy at the least. After a while you can just double Shepherd or Williams and not worry about anyone on the edge. Been the same problem. 

Unless Shepherd turns into some sort of Kris Jenkins and tosses people no matter what.

Archived