LB dept. : Brandon Copeland ~ ~ ~

kelly

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:13 AM, kelly said:

40-Yard Stroll with LB Jordan Jenkins

Outside Linebacker Answers a Variety of Questions with Team Reporter Ethan Greenberg

video..

There were a lot of 40 yard strolls last Sunday with our LB'ers cause they all suck

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rich Cimini     ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets MLB C.J. Mosley, meeting the New York media for the first time since signing his five-year, $85M contract, described himself as someone who "can make every kind of play. A field general. I'm not one of those who's going throw a temper tantrum on the sideline. ... I let my play do the talking." Asked about the size of his contract, he said, "I had a picture in my head of what I think I might be worth. Nobody would ever imagine that type of money. It's definitely a blessing." He has a $43M guarantee, the biggest in team history.

>    http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Rich Cimini   ESPN Staff Writer 

LB Darron Lee, whose future with the Jets is murky, participated in the first day of the voluntary off-season program. What does it mean? It probably won't impact his status, but at least he's taking a positive approach. The Jets are open to trading the former first-round pick, whose $1.7M salary no longer is guaranteed (voided by his substance-abuse suspension in 2018). It's amazing how quickly things change. A year ago, Lee was considered part of the foundation. Now? Noticeably, he was not part of the franchise's PR hype surrounding the new uniforms. The Jets featured seven holdovers, including their other former No. 1 picks. Ironically, Lee had been advocating for new uniforms on social media for more than a year.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

• 3 weeks later...

Jets decline Darron Lee’s 5th-year option | What it means for LB’s future with team, trade value, compensatory pick

Darron Lee is officially one season away from free agency.The linebacker inched closer to the open market after word emerged early Thursday that the Jets will not exercise the fifth-year option on his contract, according to the New York Daily News.The Jets had the chance to pick up that extra year–at a set salary figure – because Lee was a first-round draft pick. General manager Mike Maccagnan selected him No. 20 overall in 2016.But instead of adding a year to Lee’s contract, Maccagnan made it clear that he is not in the team’s future plans by turning down the option. The fact that Lee has no long-term role with the Jets comes as no surprise after the team signed C.J. Mosley in free agency, then added linebacker depth – Blake Cashman – in the fifth round of the 2019 NFL Draft. Maccagnan’s decision to decline the option only made Lee’s standing on the team even more obvious.

That said, even if Lee has no real future in New York, declining his option is still an intriguing decision by Maccagnan.

Had Maccagnan picked up the option, it could have added to Lee’s value, with potential trade partners knowing they could keep him under contract for an extra year – if they want to – with very little risk involved.The salary attached to a fifth-year option does not become fully guaranteed until the start of that league year, meaning Lee’s 2020 salary wouldn’t have become fully guaranteed until next March. So, if the Jets – or Lee’s new team – set him free any time between now and then, his 2020 salary would have come off the books anyway.

The minimal risk attached to the fifth-year option is that it the salary is guaranteed against injury. So, if the Jets picked up the option, then Lee suffered a serious injury this season that would cost him his 2020 season, the Jets – or Lee’s team at that point – would be on the hook for that money.Effectively, by cutting Lee, the Jets are eliminating that small risk. They’re also indirectly making a statement that, even if Lee has a breakout 2019 season, they nor any other team team would be willing to pay him the large salary raise that comes with a fifth-year option. Lee is currently scheduled to cost about $3.2 million against the cap in 2019, but likely would have cost closer to $10 million in 2020, if he played on the option.

Now, if Maccagnan tries to move Lee, the rest of the league will know exactly what they’re getting: a 24-year-old linebacker and former first-round pick, who has underperformed to this point in his career, with one cheap year left on his deal.On the flip side, declining Lee’s option could help Maccagnan extract value in a different way – through the compensatory draft pick system. If Maccagnan holds onto Lee this season and he leaves in free agency next spring, it could potentially land the Jets an extra pick in the 2021 draft.

So odds are that if Maccagnan trades Lee, any compensation he receives will have to be at least as valuable as the draft pick he could get by simply letting the linebacker walk out the door.

>    https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/05/jets-decline-darron-lees-5th-year-option-what-it-means-for-lbs-future-with-team-trade-value-compensatory-pick.html

The Jets moved another step closer to moving on from linebacker Darron Lee on Friday when they declined his fifth-year option.

Lee, the team’s 2016 first-round pick, is now in the final year of his contract. He can be a free agent in 2020.It became increasingly clear over the past few months the Jets would not be picking up the option for 2020, which was about $9.5 million. Lee has improved in his three years with the Jets, but last year ended on a sour note when he was suspended for the final four games after violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

When the Jets signed C.J. Mosley to a five-year, $85 million deal in March, it became even clearer that Lee’s time with the Jets was nearing an end. For now, he remains on the team, but the Jets still could trade him before the season.Lee, a favorite of former coach Todd Bowles, was taken with the 20th pick out of Ohio State in 2016. He started nine games as a rookie and struggled at times. The 232-pounder lacked the size to shed blockers in run defense and did not always fare well in coverage either. He improved in 2017, recording 94 tackles and three sacks. Last season, he had three interceptions, including one for a touchdown in the team’s Week 1 victory over the Lions.

The Jets were unable to trade Lee during the NFL draft last week. They still may be able to move him. Two years ago, the Jets traded former first-round pick Calvin Pryor on June 1 to the Browns for linebacker Demario Davis, which turned out to be a great trade. The Jets could still use help at center and cornerback, so Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan might be able to find a trade partner to swap Lee for someone at those positions.The Jets also could just hold onto Lee. He has speed and may be a better player in a reduced role in Gregg Williams’ defense than the every-down player like he has been. The biggest question would be how Lee, who has had bouts of immaturity with the Jets, would handle such a demotion.

“Darron has played and done some good things for us,” Maccagnan said after the draft when asked about Lee. “We’ll see how this unfolds going forward. I think we have some very good competition at a lot of positions. We have very good depth at a lot of positions. We’ll see how it unfolds going forward.”

>   https://nypost.com/2019/05/03/jets-drop-latest-hint-theyre-nearly-done-with-darron-lee/

Get to know the New York Jets’ fifth-round pick in the 2019 NFL draft, Minnesota linebacker Blake Cashman.

The Jets added arguably the best defender available in free agency when the signed linebacker C.J. Mosley to a massive deal, but that didn’t stop them from bolstering their depth in this year’s draft.If you love blue-collar players who have worked for every inch of their football journey, Cashman is your guy. A former walk-on, Cashman earned a a scholarship and eventually became the cornerstone of the Golden Gophers defense.

Heading into the predraft process, Cashman again faced the daunting task of proving he belonged among the best football players in the country. Just as he had earlier in his career, he delivered. Cashman blew up the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine with a dominant performance, finishing among the best linebackers in multiple events throughout the weekend.Despite his impressive showing at the combine, Cashman still fell to the fifth round, where the Jets wisely snatched him up. His combination of athleticism, intelligence and determination should allow him to make an immediate impact on special teams, while eventually developing into a potential starter down the road.

When asked what kind of player Cashman’s eventual NFL team would be getting, he’s clear and confident about what he brings to the table.“They’re gonna get somebody that’s gonna come in and work harder than anyone else there, Cashman told Draft Wire back in March. “I don’t say or take that lightly. I know what it took to get myself into this position. It’s taken a lot of hard work and dedication. It’s just part of the journey of being a walk-on. On top of that, I’m somebody who believes that football games are won during the week. They’re won in the film room and they’re won when you prepare right. It’s one of the most important factors of the game. I spend a lot of time in the meeting rooms to make sure I fully understand the defensive scheme and what our plan of attack is. I can help a team at the linebacker spot. I have good speed, I can cover the field sideline-to-sideline. I’m a very versatile player. Whether it’s on special teams or all 3 downs, you can play me in blitz packages and so on. There’s a lot of areas that I can help a team in.”

>   https://thejetpress.com/2019/05/14/nfl-draft-jets-blake-cashman-breakdown/

Why Jets LB C.J. Mosley will be worth every penny of his huge contract

Having signed a record-breaking contract that is beyond the dream of any linebacker, there is no doubt that Mosley will be worth every penny in that contract. That is due to hard facts about the ex-Ravens linebacker. Facts that are part of his record as a player, skills that are unique to him, and others that concern him as a person.

The Player

• Mosley has a ball skills that are hard to come by – recorded as the second-most by any linebacker. For the period from 2014 to 2018, he had six fumbles and nine interceptions. 15 takeaways is not a number that is easily achieved.
  • He is a tackling machine, and in that respect, he has football skills that are near perfect – with the Ravens, he recorded 597 career tackles, and another 317 during those years with Alabama.
  • His defensive record – more than 30 defense passes more than 5 interceptions and the same for sacks and fumble recoveries. This kind of history has only been achieved by two other players in NFL history
  • During five seasons, he’s been voted to the Pro Bowl four times.
  • As quoted by another player, “C.J., man, you can’t say enough about that guy, he’s out there, and he goes to work, week to week. He doesn’t really say a lot — he doesn’t say much at all — but when we need a play, we turn to him, and he comes up with it”, says Matthew Judon.

The Person

And, on a personal level, he has proved time and again that he is a person to have by your side at any time of day or night.

• He is close to his family – he is still nostalgic about sharing a glove with his brother.
  • He makes sure that his family is present during important games.
  • He is faithful to his school – Theodore High – and in that effort, he still participates in the annual free camp and not only that but, he donates as well.
  • His colleagues in a game know that they can rely on him at any time on the field and out of it.
  • He has also been known to serve the community on several occasions.
  • He is not only eager for the responsibility but as he iterated – he has not come all the way to the Jets in order to lose.

When you have a player, who is not just conscientious about the game, but about family and friends as well, then, that he really is worth every penny that has been paid for him.

The New York Jets landed a do-it-all, blue-collar defender in linebacker Blake Cashman, their fifth-round pick in the 2019 NFL draft.

Coming out of high school, Cashman was a mere afterthought in the recruiting world. He ended up walking on at Minnesota, and wasted little time making all the programs who failed to offer him ma scholarship look silly.Cashman eventually earned a scholarship with the Golden Gophers, establishing himself as exactly the kind of player any coach would want to build a defense around. His versatile skill set, nonstop motor, consistent play and reliable leadership quickly made him one of the team’s cornerstone players.Still, Cashman found himself in a familiar situation after leaving Minnesota, entering the predraft process with little fanfare. Then, the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine happened.

Cashman dominated at this year’s crazy NFL job interview for incoming rookies, finishing among the top performers at his position in multiple drills. He showed off the impressive athleticism that made him one of the best linebackers in the Big Ten.But despite his incredible journey from walk-on to star linebacker, his stellar showing at the combine, and even a fairly weak draft class at his position, Cashman still managed to fall all the way to the fifth round of the 2019 draft. The Jets wisely snatched him up, giving them a bargain of a player halfway through the draft’s final day.

For Cashman, he’s got no problem proving himself again and again with his play on the field :

All the hard work and sacrifice that I’ve put in, it’s a dream come true. It’s everything. It’s what we’ve been thinking about since we put on the pads for the first time.

Being a walk-on, it brings you a different mentality. It brings you a different approach to the game, and you definitely walk into the building with a chip on your shoulder to get better. It’s definitely one of those things, as a walk-on, you’ve gotta respect the process and walk into the football building and prove to your teammates every day, prove to your coaches every day why you should be there, and why you’re worth taking that spot on the team.

The addition of C.J. Mosley in free agency obviously stole the headlines, but following the trade of former first-round pick Darron Lee, the Jets have a need for a young linebacker to step up and establish himself as a quality contributor.Cashman has all the physical and mental tools to be that player, and he should make a significant impact sooner than later.

>   https://thejetpress.com/2019/05/22/jets-rookie-lb-blake-cashman-still-walk-mentality/

The New York Jets spent big in free agency this offseason, and linebacker C.J. Mosley is ready for the responsibility of making sure the defense is doing their job.

After five seasons leading the Baltimore Ravens as the heart of their stout defense, Mosley now finds himself in The Big Apple with a new unit.His combination of a complete skill set and tons of experience as the brain of an entire defense should help the Jets navigate the transition to a new coaching staff.

Mosley is ready for the responsibility, and is looking forward to playing with some of the young stars already present on the Jets roster :

#Jets Mike ‘backer @TreyDeuce32RTR: I’m the quarterback of the defense. I have to get everyone lined up. In this defense, I can make a lot of extra calls.

#Jets Mike ‘backer @TreyDeuce32RTR on @TheAdamsEra: He’s still the loudest one... He’s definitely a vocal leader. He backs up his talk. Very competitive, very vocal.

Mosley says there’s been no issues with making the transition to his new team and scheme :

New #Jets LB @TreyDeuce32RTR: The transition has been great...No complaints at all.

A first-round pick in the 2014 NFL draft out of Alabama, Mosley made an immediate and sustained impact for the Ravens, going to the Pro Bowl in four of his five seasons. He put up big numbers over that stretch, racking up 597 tackles, 43 tackles for loss, 32 quarterback hits, 8.5 sacks, nine interceptions, six forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries.

While many expected the Ravens to either retain him with a long-term extension of place the franchise tag on him, Mosley hit the open market and the Jets broke the bank to drop him in the middle of their promising defense.Mosley’s leadership and playmaking ability could be exactly what the Jets need to take their defense to the next level, and he’s clearly already in the right mindset to make it happen.

>   https://thejetpress.com/2019/05/23/c-j-mosley-ready-defensive-qb-jets/

• 2 weeks later...

The New York Jets added some top talent at linebacker this offseason, and the entire position group is using mandatory minicamp to get familiar with the new defense, as well as each other.

While the addition of star running back Le’Veon Bell stole most of the headlines for the Jets this offseason (and with good reason), there was another big signing by the Gang Green that could have a similar level of impact.This move came on defense, signing free agent linebacker C.J. Mosley, a four-time Pro Bowler who was surprisingly allowed to walk by the Baltimore Ravens.Mosley isn’t the only fresh face in New York on the defensive side of the ball, as new coordinator Gregg Williams is now tasked with installing a new scheme under head coach Adam Gase.

An experienced leader with tons of success under his belt, Mosley is working hard to get acclimated to Williams’ defense, as well as his new teammates. Mosley has been connecting particularly well with Avery Williamson, a fellow SEC alum (via team reporter Randy Lange):

He’s a southern guy, I’m a southern guy, SEC, SEC. So far we’re just learning our play style. My main thing with the linebackers, Mike and Will, make sure we’re talking and we’re on the same page. As time gets better, we’ll figure out more and more what we’re best at and when it comes to matchups and things like that, we’ll get that going.

Williamson knows Mosley to be a man of few words who leads by example, and they’re both working hard to help lessen the team’s learning curve with the new defensive scheme:

C.J. just says the play, he doesn’t say too much else. But we definitely are starting to get used to each other. We’re just kind of throwing things around out there, helping each other out as much as possible. It’s definitely going good and we’re just continuing to get to know each other. … Good dude.

There’s plenty of talent elsewhere on the Jets defense, as well. Pro Bowl safety Jamal Adams is the vocal leader of the bunch, and a dynamic playmaker in his own right. Veteran defensive lineman Leonard Williams is the anchor up front, and he’ll be joined this year by No. 3 overall pick Quinnen Williams, arguably the best overall prospect in this year’s draft class.After losing out on Anthony Barr in free agency, bringing Mosley into the fold was a massive win for the Jets defense this offseason. He’s already making an impact with his combination of leadership, intelligence and experience, and once game action begins, he’ll be showing off the playmaking ability that’s made him one of the league’s top players at his position.

Don’t be surprised if Mosley plays a huge role in the Jets making a massive turnaround in 2019, both as a defense and as a team.

>     https://thejetpress.com/2019/06/06/jets-nfl-c-j-mosley-gregg-williams-avery-williamson/

• 3 weeks later...

The offseason is a time for great optimism about what will happen come the fall and you can count Jets linebacker Avery Williamson among those seeing the possibility for good things in the future.Williamson spent the last few months working with new teammate C.J. Mosley at linebacker in the defense being installed by new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and he came out of that process with a bright outlook.

“Shoot, we can definitely be a top-five defense,” Williamson said, via the team’s website. “We have all the talent right there, we just have to continue to be on the same page. We could be really great, we have the talent, man. I’m excited. We had a great squad last year. We didn’t have the best season, but we fought hard. So if we have all the pieces I feel like we do, we can really be something special.”

Mosley’s arrival means Williamson will move to a new spot in the defense. He said there are “definitely a lot of new things” involved with that move and the sooner he gets them all down the better for the Jets’ chances of hitting the high end of his prediction.

>    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/27/avery-williamson-jets-defense-can-be-really-great/

On 5/2/2019 at 11:23 AM, Bowles Movement said:

First round pick that goes as a FA?  Do these guys know anything?

Didn’t he go 5th round?  I think there were some injury concerns that may have caused him to drop but from what I have seen he does look like a steal.  

The New York Jets have a new quarterback on defense, and veteran linebacker C.J. Mosley isn’t missing a beat in his new surroundings.

Few expected four-time Pro Bowler C.J.Mosley to hit the open market this offseason,but when he did,the New York Jets wisely snatched him up.After missing out on another talented linebacker in free agency, Anthony Barr, the Jets broke the bank for Mosley, a former first-round pick who had been an unquestioned leader and a tackling machine for the Baltimore Ravens since he set foot in the NFL.Mosley is now taking on the role of veteran leader for the Jets defense, as well as the play-caller for new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and his aggressive attacking scheme.

It’s a role Mosley is absolutely prepared for, and his teammates are already responding to his presence (via team reporter Olivia Landis):

I think it’s been going well. Once you get the call and relay it, at the end of the day, that’s the hardest job. Making sure everybody gets the call. After that, it’s figuring out what are we best at, what guys can do what, and just helping each other out, making sure we’re all lined up in the right spot. That’s the main key.

When it comes to the biggest challenges of adjusting to a new team and defense, Mosley says his experience helps mitigate the most difficult part of the transition:

I think once you get the verbiage down. That’s the hardest challenge, coming into a new defense, a new system. So, I think once I got that part down, the rest is just football. Since I’ve been in the league, I kind of know how it goes. If I was a rookie, it’d be a whole other story, if I was trying to learn everything new.

Mosley’s combination of experience, leadership and playmaking ability could be a big part of what vaults the Jets defense into the top tier of units across the entire league. With Pro Bowl safety Jamal Adams, veteran defensive lineman Leonard Williams, and No. 3 overall pick Quinnen Williams also in the mix, this group could be among the NFL’s most improved in 2019.The offseason seems to be going well for this group, but time will tell if these gains translate into on-field success when it really matters this fall.

>    https://thejetpress.com/2019/06/29/c-j-mosley-settling-role-qb-jets-defense/

On 5/2/2019 at 11:23 AM, Bowles Movement said:

First round pick that goes as a FA?  Do these guys know anything?

This is pretty crazy. It's the firs time i'm seeing this vid posted in early May. I thought I'd bump it so maybe we cn talk about it. How the hell did I miss this one?    Let's hope we have the next Zach Thomas type of guy who simply willed his way to being great!