Absurdly hypothetical win or lose

bealeb319

I've seen two threads now about people wanting the team to lose and using Bowles as the "reason" so I wanted to take this one step further. What if bowles did indeed come back to coach our team next season? Do you cheer for every team to beat us and go 0-16 so that we can finally get rid of Bowles or do you cheer for us to win every game and hope that the hardships Bowles has had were something he is able to move forward from?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

This misses the point.  Obviously we're all going to root for the Jets to win going into next year.  The point is that this is ALREADY a lost season.  My rooting for losses is to allow us to trade down so we can still get the OT from Bama while recouping the draft picks we traded for Darnold.  That plus it helps ensure Bowles (and hopefully Macc) are gone.  

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This misses the point.  Obviously we're all going to root for the Jets to win going into next year.  The point is that this is ALREADY a lost season.  My rooting for losses is to allow us to trade down so we can still get the OT from Bama while recouping the draft picks we traded for Darnold.  That plus it helps ensure Bowles (and hopefully Macc) are gone.  

We weren’t winning the super bowl any way this year, why not root for a loss week one, or curse the broncos for not showing up 

23 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I've seen two threads now about people wanting the team to lose and using Bowles as the "reason" so I wanted to take this one step further. What if bowles did indeed come back to coach our team next season? Do you cheer for every team to beat us and go 0-16 so that we can finally get rid of Bowles or do you cheer for us to win every game and hope that the hardships Bowles has had were something he is able to move forward from?

A4D20FB2-56E0-4D3F-A035-D282E52A4FF7.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

We weren’t winning the super bowl any way this year, why not root for a loss week one, or curse the broncos for not showing up 

I root for the team going into the year every year (except for last year because I wanted to tank for a QB).  But once it's apparent the wheels have fallen off then I switch into rooting for losses.  I know some people think it's ridiculous to root against your own team but, again, I'm rooting FOR THEM in the bigger picture.  I want to see this team win a Superbowl.  

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I root for the team going into the year every year (except for last year because I wanted to tank for a QB).  But once it's apparent the wheels have fallen off then I switch into rooting for losses.  I know some people think it's ridiculous to root against your own team but, again, I'm rooting FOR THEM in the bigger picture.  I want to see this team win a Superbowl.  

Completely hypothetical, but would you rather a super bowl win in an anomaly of a year with sh*tty seasons before and after and all around or a constant contender but never actually winning the big one? 

Like if the Mets won in 2015,they were sh*tty before and sh*tty after, never really sniffing success again or is it better to be a team that’s in it every year making conference finals but never winning the whole thing?

im not sure. I used to always think give me the big win one year but I watch for entertainment and the rangers (nhl) were a “powerhouse “ in the east for 4 years or so and it was quite enjoyable even though they never won it. Granted I have nothing compare it to considering no team I root for has won the championship in my adult life 

3 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Completely hypothetical, but would you rather a super bowl win in an anomaly of a year with sh*tty seasons before and after and all around or a constant contender but never actually winning the big one? 

Like if the Mets won in 2015,they were sh*tty before and sh*tty after, never really sniffing success again or is it better to be a team that’s in it every year making conference finals but never winning the whole thing?

im not sure. I used to always think give me the big win one year but I watch for entertainment and the rangers (nhl) were a “powerhouse “ in the east for 4 years or so and it was quite enjoyable even though they never won it. Granted I have nothing compare it to considering no team I root for has won the championship in my adult life 

Is this a serious question?

38 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If you root for losses, you’re a loser. 

Giants won big in the middle of a lost season yesterday, for some reason I have a feeling most Giant fans aren’t moping about the draft. They should feel good bc they beat a division rival... just like we did. 

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Do you think there's a single Jet fan on this forum who wouldn't take the Superbowl win scenario?  

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

(eye roll)

Women eye roll FTR, but football is the only one I can say hands down I want te championship, because of the limited amount of games, but I watch sports for the thrill and entertainment, and if I had to choose I would say championship over extended success but it’s not a slam dunk decision, maybe it’s because I never experienced a championship for any of the three teams I root for but baseball and hockey those are a lot of playoffs games and a lot of excitement during extended success periods 

Just now, sackdance said:

If you root for losses, you’re a loser. 

Giants won big in the middle of a lost season yesterday, for some reason I have a feeling most Giant fans aren’t moping about the draft. They should feel good bc they beat a division rival... just like we did. 

Agreed.  I'm just hoping we keep amassing these critical December wins so we can miss out on the next LT and Favre.

1 minute ago, Anthony Jet said:

Women eye roll FTR, but football is the only one I can say hands down I want te championship, because of the limited amount of games, but I watch sports for the thrill and entertainment, and if I had to choose I would say championship over extended success but it’s not a slam dunk decision, maybe it’s because I never experienced a championship for any of the three teams I root for but baseball and hockey those are a lot of playoffs games and a lot of excitement during extended success periods 

Yeah of course you would choose a championship and yes it is a slam dunk decision.  Make a poll and see how many votes you get for "no championship but lots of playoff games".  

32 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

100%, one unbelievable season followed by sh*t for the foreseeable future or constant winning but never that one big win

ask vagiant fans :)

always have the bone head "but we won the superbowl" reply

and on the other side ask Chiefs fans...

if the goal is fun and tailgating than winning matters less, ask Browns fans 

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yeah of course you would choose a championship and yes it is a slam dunk decision.  Make a poll and see how many votes you get for "no championship but lots of playoff games".  

The poll would only show true feelings after living thru each scenario, of course everyone would say championship now. 1 this doesn’t really work with football and 2 because we are so starved for a championship 

1 minute ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

ask vagiant fans :)

They did it twice otherwise they would be the perfect ones to ask, let’s see how the eagles and chiefs or chargers play out the next couple years

Football is the wrong sport to ask this question, it really works better with rounds of best of 7

If Bowles returns, I’ll officially, after 50 yrs, become a fan of a different team. I can not stomach another year of mismanaged games, no adjustments to opposing teams, moronic game changing penalties, the smiling totem pole on the sidelines doing nothing to inspire the team, nor have an answer to what’s getting shoved up his rear end, dim witted post game interviews, idiotic injury mysteries, mind numbing punts at ridiculous junctures of the game and the complete lack of accountability the team possesses. What exactly is this guys strong suit? Defense? Three QB’s signed off the street torched him. The players love him? Hey, we all loved the substitute teacher. In four years, this substitute teacher taught us one big lesson. He’s a loser!

11 minutes ago, CosmoIacavazzi said:

If Bowles returns, I’ll officially, after 50 yrs, become a fan of a different team. I can not stomach another year of mismanaged games, no adjustments to opposing teams, moronic game changing penalties, the smiling totem pole on the sidelines doing nothing to inspire the team, nor have an answer to what’s getting shoved up his rear end, dim witted post game interviews, idiotic injury mysteries, mind numbing punts at ridiculous junctures of the game and the complete lack of accountability the team possesses. What exactly is this guys strong suit? Defense? Three QB’s signed off the street torched him. The players love him? Hey, we all loved the substitute teacher. In four years, this substitute teacher taught us one big lesson. He’s a loser!

He only has one thing going for him.  I can't say it or I will get banned.  

4 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Interesting take on this

Perhaps this is the division between fan generations.

For those who have been through a championship, the extended success where you are entertained and thrilled actually is much more important than just one championship if one had a choice. Every year, every game means something (especially important if you go to the stadium), you are more engaged and avoid seasons like the last few. It makes season tickets worthwhile. Would you rather watch a series of 3 star movies or several duds and one four star? Would you rather eat a bib gourmands every week or McD's then Per Se once? Tough choices.

On the other hand, if you have never seen a championship, that is an important part of sports following (which is what we do) that one really should experience at least once in their lifetime. In a way, it is paying your fan dues to sit through bad periods to get there. You have to see four star movies and eat at Per Se at least once in your life.

Funny thing about the championships is that they are bittersweet. On that autumn night in October '86 when we walked out of the stadium after Orosco fell on his knees and threw his glove up in the air, the feeling, as expected, was not as euphoric as victories and accomplishments gained in your own life (sports following is not one of those). It was more like a "well that was a relief that they didn't lose" feeling knowing full well your list of things to do at work was still on your desk the next morning. This was after being dedicated enough to go to 110 Mets games that year. The journey to the conclusion, positive or not far exceeds the destination. What we all remember is the extended success period of '84-'90, the year after year fun of going to the packed ballpark surrounded by enthusiasm, hoping for that ultimate result. The existence of that period of course softened the subsequent periods of failure and only because it included a championship. The Jets AFL-NFL championship for '68 had similar effect, also serving to soften the subsequent half century of disappointment. 

So I see it as the choice is different for every individual. Some have to see the championship at least once. Once seen, well OK, now just keep me entertained.

5 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I'd cheer for the team to win until they're losing tons of games in a row.  Like I did this year and last year and the year before.  But....they don't win this year and didn't last year and the year before. So what do we do?  Answer:  Fire the coach.

53 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Interesting take on this

Perhaps this is the division between fan generations.

For those who have been through a championship, the extended success where you are entertained and thrilled actually is much more important than just one championship if one had a choice. Every year, every game means something (especially important if you go to the stadium), you are more engaged and avoid seasons like the last few. It makes season tickets worthwhile. Would you rather watch a series of 3 star movies or several duds and one four star? Would you rather eat a bib gourmands every week or McD's then Per Se once? Tough choices.

On the other hand, if you have never seen a championship, that is an important part of sports following (which is what we do) that one really should experience at least once in their lifetime. In a way, it is paying your fan dues to sit through bad periods to get there. You have to see four star movies and eat at Per Se at least once in your life.

Funny thing about the championships is that they are bittersweet. On that autumn night in October '86 when we walked out of the stadium after Orosco fell on his knees and threw his glove up in the air, the feeling, as expected, was not as euphoric as victories and accomplishments gained in your own life (sports following is not one of those). It was more like a "well that was a relief that they didn't lose" feeling knowing full well your list of things to do at work was still on your desk the next morning. This was after being dedicated enough to go to 110 Mets games that year. The journey to the conclusion, positive or not far exceeds the destination. What we all remember is the extended success period of '84-'90, the year after year fun of going to the packed ballpark surrounded by enthusiasm, hoping for that ultimate result. The existence of that period of course softened the subsequent periods of failure and only because it included a championship. The Jets AFL-NFL championship for '68 had similar effect, also serving to soften the subsequent half century of disappointment. 

So I see it as the choice is different for every individual. Some have to see the championship at least once. Once seen, well OK, now just keep me entertained.

Thank you. Unfortunately I was in pre k in 86 and when the rangers won in 94 I wasn’t even a teenager yet. Can’t really say that I knew what winning a championship was ( I went to a lot of games that year , but at 12 who realizes you may never see another one again. Didn’t really take in the moment)

I feel that the 15 Mets and the rangers from 13-17 are good examples except the Mets didn’t win it all. But basically the Mets were sh*t before and basically sh*t after. While the rangers went to multiple conference finals, 1 cup and tons of playoff games, even though they never won. They’re years combined brought me a lot more excitement and entertainment then the one year of the Mets even if they did win it all. Again id probably take a championship over extended success in any of the sports I like, and I don’t know if that’s cause I never experienced it, but in baseball and hockey it’s a tough decision

Archived