Dave Gettleman

k-met57

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jgb said:

I get the second guessing but Saquon is a player in his own right 

No doubt, but when you have an aging QB and fall into the chance to replace him and you pick a RB instead it doesn't matter how good that RB turns out to be, it's a huge mistake.

By the time the Giants figure out their QB and offensive like situations how many more years will Barkley have?

32 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

No doubt, but when you have an aging QB and fall into the chance to replace him and you pick a RB instead it doesn't matter how good that RB turns out to be, it's a huge mistake.

By the time the Giants figure out their QB and offensive like situations how many more years will Barkley have?

i think Gotlieb nailed it...the giants have less first downs then they did last year, and Barkley leads the league in big runs. Having an explosive game changing back is a luxury u cant afford if you dont have a QB who can convert third downs...not to mention that you can always scheme to stop any RB if you dont have to respect the QB with your play calls.

5 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i think Gotlieb nailed it...the giants have less first downs then they did last year, and Barkley leads the league in big runs. Having an explosive game changing back is a luxury u cant afford if you dont have a QB who can convert third downs...not to mention that you can always scheme to stop any RB if you dont have to respect the QB with your play calls.

A luxury the Jets can afford to have, now we have Sam Darnold ?

21 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

If you watch the games, Barkley often gets zero or negative yards and then a random explosive run.. Much like Barry Sanders. 

I don't blame Barkley but it just proves that great RB is not nearly as important as franchise QB.

Gettleman replaced a guy who benched Eli, drafting Sam would have been a curious decision in that light 

The giants spent huge money on a free agent left tackle and drafted a left guard and the problem with the giants was the oline 

Kinda sobering reality for us actually 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

47 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

A special RB is still a RB.

I get it gents and not disagreeing but maybe Gettleman had darnold as a bust and went with his gut. In any case not like he whiffed. As far as draft blunders go, this one is a 1 out of 100.

22 minutes ago, jgb said:

I get it gents and not disagreeing but maybe Gettleman had darnold as a bust and went with his gut. In any case not like he whiffed. As far as draft blunders go, this one is a 1 out of 100.

agree to disagree. while Barkley is clearly a stud....passing on a QB is a decision that could set your franchise back 30 years...just as any jets fan. not to mention the 2019 QB class was notoriously questionable even with the Oregon kid.

there is 0 chance that he thought both Darnold and Rosen (and Allen) were all going to bust. He just went for an ultra talented RB....which is a franchise changing decision when you could easily never pick high enough to get an elite QB again.

34 minutes ago, jgb said:

If darnold turns out to be a franchise QB and the Giants struggle to find a QB it will be a 100/100 disaster. Especially when they have to watch darnold play in the same stadium.

It's not about Barkley it's about passing on a young franchise QB when you need a young franchise QB.

If the Giants fall into another franchise QB then it will be a 1/100

Saquon is the most physically gifted RB since Barry Sanders... don’t @ me. His acceleration is that of LT. His first step and change of direction is absolutely JAW DROPPING.

yes, the guy should of gotten Sam but Barkley is soooooooo special. What I would give to see Barkley line up behind Sam in a Jets uniform.

Keep laughing but Dave Gettleman made the right call picking Barkley. Players like him don’t come around often.

He also made two great picks later in the draft with BJ Hill and Lorenzo Carter. Locking up OBJ was also intelligent.

The Giants can get Haskins or Jones this year and be set for years to come on offense. 

If you watch the games, Barkley often gets zero or negative yards and then a random explosive run.. Much like Barry Sanders. 
I don't blame Barkley but it just proves that great RB is not nearly as important as franchise QB.
Todd gurley is the majority of the rams offense. He might not be as important as a franchise qb but he holds some major value in the success of that team.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, VinnyT16 said:

Keep laughing but Dave Gettleman made the right call picking Barkley. Players like him don’t come around often.

He also made two great picks later in the draft with BJ Hill and Lorenzo Carter. Locking up OBJ was also intelligent.

The Giants can get Haskins or Jones this year and be set for years to come on offense. 

question...do you consider bears and titans 'set' for years to come?

36 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

agree to disagree. while Barkley is clearly a stud....passing on a QB is a decision that could set your franchise back 30 years...just as any jets fan. not to mention the 2019 QB class was notoriously questionable even with the Oregon kid.

there is 0 chance that he thought both Darnold and Rosen (and Allen) were all going to bust. He just went for an ultra talented RB....which is a franchise changing decision when you could easily never pick high enough to get an elite QB again.

Yes and whiffing on a FQB is a career-killer. Disagreeing is fine and I definitely respect your opinion and in fact a significant part of me agrees with you. I guess what I’m saying is his chair would be a lot hotter if Saquon sucked but it’s pretty hard to fault a guy for drafting one of the top 2 offensive ROY prospects.

23 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If darnold turns out to be a franchise QB and the Giants struggle to find a QB it will be a 100/100 disaster. Especially when they have to watch darnold play in the same stadium.

It's not about Barkley it's about passing on a young franchise QB when you need a young franchise QB.

If the Giants fall into another franchise QB then it will be a 1/100

Big if. I do have a question for you since you obviously know your stuff, would darnold have had a better or worse year as a giant (sans Saquon) if he started from game 1? My gut says probably.

8 minutes ago, VinnyT16 said:

Tannehill could win a whole lotta games with those weapons.

Just now, bealeb319 said:

Todd gurley is the majority of the rams offense. He might not be as important as a franchise qb but he holds some major value in the success of that team.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

100pct. And he missed the last game and CJ Anderson walked in off the street to replace him and ran for 160 yards..

Kareem hunt is also really good. He missed a couple of games and Damien Williams has scored 3tds and over 200 yards of offense last two weeks 

If Pat mahomes goes down, the replacement will be a significant drop off in ability. 

There isn't a RB in NFL history that the chiefs would trade for Mahomes. The same could be said of Rodgers, Brees, Luck, Brady, Big Ben in their prime. It's just the nature of the position 

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

100pct. And he missed the last game and CJ Anderson walked in off the street to replace him and ran for 160 yards..

Kareem hunt is also really good. He missed a couple of games and Damien Williams has scored 3tds and over 200 yards of offense last two weeks 

If Pat mahomes goes down, the replacement will be a significant drop off in ability. 

There isn't a RB in NFL history that the chiefs would trade for Mahomes. The same could be said of Rodgers, Brees, Luck, Brady, Big Ben in their prime. It's just the nature of the position 

You’re definitely correct although I’m sure the defense cheated the pass with Gurley out (didn’t watch the game) but there is a reason darnold didn’t go first overall. Easy to say all this now while forgetting there were legitimate questions about him going in. I think we can be happy giants did what they did without trying to paint gettleman as some kind of idzick. Just imho.

5 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Gettleman is the one who's going to get the blame/credit, but that always looked like a Giants FO political move, to me anyway. 

Very possible he had his marching orders that Eli was untouchable after the Mcadoodoo benching disaster. We will likely never know unless gettleman gets canned and leaks it.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Jaguars will be calling Teddy Bridgewater 

I suspect several teams will be calling Bridgewater.  This is a draft with almost no top of the draft big name QB's.  Bridgewater is still relativity young, and has shown he can play in the NFL as a starting QB.  

Leg seemed fine in Jets camp, another year certainly hasn't hurt.  Teddy is going to get a good payday, and I'm happy for him.  His association with the Jets has gone very well for both sides.  Jets got a valuable 3rd round pick, Bridgewater got a second chance when everyone was really down on his future.    

59 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yes and whiffing on a FQB is a career-killer. Disagreeing is fine and I definitely respect your opinion and in fact a significant part of me agrees with you. I guess what I’m saying is his chair would be a lot hotter if Saquon sucked but it’s pretty hard to fault a guy for drafting one of the top 2 offensive ROY prospects.

Big if. I do have a question for you since you obviously know your stuff, would darnold have had a better or worse year as a giant (sans Saquon) if he started from game 1? My gut says probably.

I think darnold would be just fine on any team. Giants o line is probably worse but he'd have Odell and the ability to avoid the pressure and buy time... unlike Eli.

Archived