Brian Billick

TuscanyTile2

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This has nothing to do with the Jets but I think some here will appreciate it:

Brian Billick on The Match Game back in 1977:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BackAftaThis/status/1085989164720500736

Billick turned 54 years old a couple months after being fired by the Ravens 11 years ago. He never got another head coaching job again. Same goes for Mike Martz. Just looking at their records as head coaches, you'd think both those guys would have gotten a head job again, but they earned bad reps around the league, and pretty much got blackballed from ever getting an NFL head coaching job again.

25 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Billick turned 54 years old a couple months after being fired by the Ravens 11 years ago. He never got another head coaching job again. Same goes for Mike Martz. Just looking at their records as head coaches, you'd think both those guys would have gotten a head job again, but they earned bad reps around the league, and pretty much got blackballed from ever getting an NFL head coaching job again.

Mike McCarthy might end up in that same boat.

2 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Mike McCarthy might end up in that same boat.

He actually turned down the Cardinals though...I think he'll get a call again next year. I believe history will view McCarthy in a positive light when he gets another head coaching opportunity, and on the other hand Aaron Rodgers will be viewed like the narcissistic Kobe Bryant of NFL quarterbacks.

4 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Didn’t the jets bring him in for an interview before hiring Rex? 

I wonder what Billick and Martz did to be black balled?

8 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Billick was hired as the offensive genius of his day and never got anything out of the Ravens offense. Won the Super Bowl on the strength of his defense in his second season and won one more playoff game over the next seven years. He lasted longer than he should've. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Billick was hired as the offensive genius of his day and never got anything out of the Ravens offense. Won the Super Bowl on the strength of his defense in his second season and won one more playoff game over the next seven years. He lasted longer than he should've. 

Offensive genius.  He had a resurgent Randall Cunningham throwing to HOF Chris Carter and HOF Randy Moss, with a good O Line and Pro Bowl running back Robert Smith.  You are correct, people thought he was this great offensive mind, but no, not really.

After winning the SB, he jettisons Dilfer for Elvis freaking Grbec and doesn't go back.

4 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Martz had a CRAZY aggressive offense, that worked with a HOF QB, HOF running back, and 2 borderline HOF WR, with a HOF left tackle.

He then lost an epic upset in the Super Bowl.  He was an OC after that, but could not come close to matching his success, and was a jerk who thought he was smarter than every one else.

9 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

He actually turned down the Cardinals though...I think he'll get a call again next year. I believe history will view McCarthy in a positive light when he gets another head coaching opportunity, and on the other hand Aaron Rodgers will be viewed like the narcissistic Kobe Bryant of NFL quarterbacks.

Especially when it comes out  that Rodgers is really the HC of the Packers and LaFleur is a puppy dog lemming. People are gonna come out of that team in FA and talk about how sick and incestuous it has become in GreenBay. Mark my words .

Oh...and it's not going to work.  It never works to give the spoiled brat the keys to the kingdom.  

McCarthy will be fine and he's not Billick . I agree with you. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

He did surround himself with an excellent coaching staff though. Billick was/is the CEO type head coach. Not easy to work for though. Rex Ryan made Billick sound like working for Ebenezer Scrooge who didn't like you taking a day off.

7 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

56ba73ea2a047.image.jpg.c2f9d95cb3e2ffcfb8c98483ec7431eb.jpg

The guy on the left, former St. Louis Rams President John Shaw aka Georgia Frontiere's lawyer lackey, smeared Mike Martz around the league before pushing him out the door. Then in Detroit he was done in by the incompetent Matt Millen and Rod Marinelli. He received a life line in Chicago from Lovie Smith who Mike Martz was extremely close with from when Lovie was his hand picked DC to install Tony Dung's Tampa 2 defense which gave GSOT fits. Martz was basically the Buddy Ryan of offensive coordinators. Now in 2019 our Jets have Adam Gase whose offense is heavily influenced by his mentor Mike Martz, then on the defensive side of the ball we have Greg Williams whose defense is heavily influenced by Buddy Ryan. I digress....If we get the right players we have the potential to be a very hated team. Onside kicking, body bagging, and running up the score with our new jet black unis. The Jets will be the bad guys. Look at our head coach's eyes. Gase has villain eyes. They're larger than the other coaches'. His eyes insinuate a slightly skewed perspective on how he sees the world. Just off normal...those are the eyes that were mentored by the blackballed mad offensive scientist Mike Martz. Those are the eyes that call for an onside kick up 33-9. 

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

...If we get the right players we have the potential to be a very hated team. Onside kicking, body bagging, and running up the score with our new jet black unis. The Jets will be the bad guys. Look at our head coach's eyes. Gase has villain eyes. They're larger than the other coaches'. His eyes insinuate a slightly skewed perspective on how he sees the world. Just off normal...those are the eyes that were mentored by the blackballed mad offensive scientist Mike Martz. Those are the eyes that call for an onside kick up 33-9. 

F2AF6761-347C-45EC-A510-E84123DEB13D.gif

Archived