Is this the Jets franchise turning point

Y2jets

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Sanchez and Geno didn’t show nearly the advanced level of QBing that Sam Darnold did. If you know football, you know this.

Thank you!

What don’t people get that...... 

Remember now the Jets were specifically told NOT to draft Sanchez yet because he “was not ready” for the NFL but the Jets chose him anyway!

Smith If you remember was so immature that he was texting folks during his interviews and was thought to need significant grooming and development but the Jets still acting like the smartest guys in the room drafted him again, anyway without the adequate support  

So you are 100% correct. 

Tellingly not one prognosticator said or suggested that Sanchez or Smith were can’t miss prospects as Tony Romo and Troy  Aikman have said about Darnold.   Yet the Jets acted is if these two guys were can’t miss prospects and it set the franchise back for nearly a decade.

So even if Darnold were to flop it is not the same as what happened with the other two characters!

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Cleveland and the Giants passing on darnold was the tuning point.

We shall see. I doubt either of those two teams are unhappy with their picks. The Browns struck gold with their two first rounders, whether you think so or not. So did the Giants and the Colts. We are in the same place as the Bills, Cards, and Ravens. We are happy with who we got, and saw enough good things to think our picks can be as good as those others.

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Sanchez and Geno didn’t show nearly the advanced level of QBing that Sam Darnold did. If you know football, you know this.

Correction: Sanchez and Geno combined didn’t show nearly the advanced level of QBing that Sam Darnold did. If you know football, you know this.

We shall see. I doubt either of those two teams are unhappy with their picks. The Browns struck gold with their two first rounders, whether you think so or not. So did the Giants and the Colts. We are in the same place as the Bills, Cards, and Ravens. We are happy with who we got, and saw enough good things to think our picks can be as good as those others.

We’ll see how happy the Giants are with Barkley if they can’t find a franchise QB in the next couple draft classes.

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We’ll see how happy the Giants are with Barkley if they can’t find a franchise QB in the next couple draft classes.

No argument there. But you can say the same thing about us, even if we say Darnold develops the way we hope into a FQB. We still need WR,RB, and OL help in the next few draft classes. 

No argument there. But you can say the same thing about us, even if we say Darnold develops the way we hope into a FQB. We still need WR,RB, and OL help in the next few draft classes. 

Not really, no. In no universe would I wish we had Barkley over Darnold, even if Darnold just ends up a league average QB.

RBs are nice to have. QBs are essential. Massive difference.

5 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

First off Macc offering a big contract to a fa qb Who had many years of success on a mediocre team when we had no quarterback is not a bad thing (i didn't want cousins but the move is highly justifiable) secondly I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself with this turning point thing. We could trot out next season and completely faceplant. I am hopeful that darnold is our guy and he has shown some great flashes but so did Sanchez and so did geno let's give him another year before we start talking about turning points.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

First off what do you call “success”?

Kirk Cousins has a 4-25 record against winning teams.  Once you know that the only question is was Maccagnan just trying to save his job?  Or was he just totally incompetent offering up $100M to someone who has proven he can’t step up in class?

Next, you can’t compare Sanchez and Smith to Darnold.  Darnold is in a different stratosphere, he has already hit throws Sanchez and Smith couldn’t in a lifetime.

The biggest turning point of all is being lucky enough to lose 4 games that you would have won if you were coaching the Jets and thankfully getting rid of the worst HC in the league, if they had won those 4 games (shudder), media would mostly have backed him up he would have probably been coach for a long long time, same as Maccagnan who will be a barnacle on Darnold’s back for at least the next decade, unfortunately.

Darnold will be so great, with a few more pieces added for him you’ll find it tough to judge the job Gase and Maccagnan are doing.

I posted that Mahomes would torch the entire league before this season, now I’m saying the Jets will be a playoff team next year.

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

If darnold is our guy Mac got us our guy

What if NYG plucked Darnold at #2?

Maccagnan would have got NOTHING.  Allen or Rosen and it’s 3 p*sed away #2’s.  Guy is beyond awful.  

At least Gase looks like the type and also has the history, he’ll call this imposter Maccagnan out.

Bowles just kept his mouth shut, he probably couldn’t believe he not only had his job but he didn’t want those checks to stop flowing.  You believe that?  Bowles will be collecting checks for 6 YEARS TOTAL? Haha...if Jets weren’t handed a powder puff schedule his 1st season there would have been 4 consecutive seasons of double digit losses.

Maccagnan would have got NOTHING.  Allen or Rosen and it’s 3 p*sed away #2’s.  Guy is beyond awful.  
At least Gase looks like the type and also has the history, he’ll call this imposter Maccagnan out.
Bowles just kept his mouth shut, he probably couldn’t believe he not only had his job but he didn’t want those checks to stop flowing.  You believe that?  Bowles will be collecting checks for 6 YEARS TOTAL? Haha...if Jets weren’t handed a powder puff schedule his 1st season there would have been 4 consecutive seasons of double digit losses.

Exactly. Mac got lucky. You shouldn’t keep your job due to luck. Especially if you’ve been so awful to date.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

But the giants didn't take darnold. The browns could have taken him as well but they didnt

28 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

But the giants didn't take darnold. The browns could have taken him as well but they didnt

No, neither of them did.  But you can’t give Maccagnan credit because he lucked out on 1 pick out of close to 40 busted ones.

Don’t get me wrong I’m ecstatic he lucked out.  The Jets will be a playoff threat for at least the next 15 years, starting next year.

No, neither of them did.  But you can’t give Maccagnan credit because he lucked out on 1 pick out of close to 40 busted ones.
Don’t get me wrong I’m ecstatic he lucked out.  The Jets will be a playoff threat for at least the next 15 years, starting next year.
I don't honestly believe his drafts have been as bad as people say. We have lots of players he drafted who are contributors, some may not have lived up to their hype but part of the problem is that us fans make unrealistic expectations for these guys. A good example is Nathan Sheppard who many fans on the forum were expecting pro bowl style of play but realistically this kid was a third round pick. Another thing is Mac kept the old scouting department his first season which may or may not have completely been his decision but essentially his first draft was based off of at least influenced by the same scouts idzick used just because there was not enough time to revamp it. I do not think Mac has done the greatest job because that would be a blatant lie but he has been better than he is getting credit for in my opinion.

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

I don't honestly believe his drafts have been as bad as people say. We have lots of players he drafted who are contributors, some may not have lived up to their hype but part of the problem is that us fans make unrealistic expectations for these guys. A good example is Nathan Sheppard who many fans on the forum were expecting pro bowl style of play but realistically this kid was a third round pick. Another thing is Mac kept the old scouting department his first season which may or may not have completely been his decision but essentially his first draft was based off of at least influenced by the same scouts idzick used just because there was not enough time to revamp it. I do not think Mac has done the greatest job because that would be a blatant lie but he has been better than he is getting credit for in my opinion.

Good points.  I actually agree somewhat with what you write.  Next year will tell a lot.

Fans might be shocked at how players they called out as subpar, myself included, perform much better than they ever have....because...coaching.

Although there are many things Maccagnan has done so far I’m not happy with, but the silver lining is that if he and Bowles had not been as bad as they were, the Jets would still be in QB purgatory.

Jets turning point passing on a great super bowl caliber coach who turned Brett Favre career around and groomed an unknown diva hot headed me-first QB into a great one for an unproven coach whose best days as a Coach was carrying coffee for Payton in practice and already buttfumble his press conference.  It could get so ugly so fast that I will not be surprise if this guy last only one season. 

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

LMAO. You can't make this stuff up even if you try.  Our fans are by far the least knowledgeable fan in the NFL, now trying to rehabilitate our clown GM who has passes on great players every single time during the draft when he is not overpaying for scrubs and this is after pulling a coup d'tah putting all the blame on our former clueless coach, then passing on a super bowl coach for an unproven coach so that he could control and pass on the blame if it come to that.  This is getting into insane territory.

Archived