Is this the Jets franchise turning point

Y2jets

Much like the Mo Lewis hit turning the Pats franchise around, I think Kirk Cousins rejecting the Jets could be our turning point. We have an awful GM who offers a riduclous contract to an avergae QB, but ihim rejecting it really could be the bit of luck that finally turns this around. If he did not reject it, there would be no Sam, probably no Gase and in turn, no Gregg Williams. We will certainly see!

Just now, nico002 said:

This was the turning point:

“With the third pick in the 2018 NFL draft- the New York Jets select Sam Darnold, quarterback, USC”

Yes but if Cousins accepts the contract that would not have happened

First off Macc offering a big contract to a fa qb Who had many years of success on a mediocre team when we had no quarterback is not a bad thing (i didn't want cousins but the move is highly justifiable) secondly I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself with this turning point thing. We could trot out next season and completely faceplant. I am hopeful that darnold is our guy and he has shown some great flashes but so did Sanchez and so did geno let's give him another year before we start talking about turning points.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Any turn around the Jets might make is 100% based on DRAFTING. The drafting has been so bad for so long that no HC right now could possibly have success in NY. If the Jets miraculously improve their drafting skills while keeping the same GM that's the only way this team can improve.

5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

you expose your talent evaluation by making this statement

Sanchez was on a loaded team ready to make a run. Geno, he did show some talent early but didn’t have the emotional make up , or jaw for it so it seemed. 

Either of those two guys on this team starting and pretty sure they do don’t finishe the season. 

How about we wait for things to actually turn around before we try to pinpoint "what the turning point was"? We still stink, only now we stink with a new coaching staff. Hopefully Darnold improves, the new coaches can actually coach, and we can improve from stinking to competitive. Then we can all talk about what it was that made us competitive.

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

I am hopeful that darnold is our guy and he has shown some great flashes but so did Sanchez and so did geno let's give him another year before we start talking about turning points.

No.  Geno and especially Sanchez had a lot more talent around them and never looked as good as Darnold has.  Watching all 3 there is a huge difference in their games.  

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

sanchez was 13/20 (TD/INT)

geno 12/21

darnold 17/15

Sanchez was the worst player on a Championship offense.  

Darnold was the best player on a putrid bottom dweller offense. As bad as Sam played at times still best offensive player we had and he didn’t play that well. The offense really was that bad. 

Sanchez played a game or so  this year for the Redskins. Solidly symbolizing the end of their seasons. 

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

First off Macc offering a big contract to a fa qb Who had many years of success on a mediocre team when we had no quarterback is not a bad thing (i didn't want cousins but the move is highly justifiable) secondly I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself with this turning point thing. We could trot out next season and completely faceplant. I am hopeful that darnold is our guy and he has shown some great flashes but so did Sanchez and so did geno let's give him another year before we start talking about turning points.

Not to rehash old arguments but offering Cousins that kind of money was a terrible decision.  

If the Jets had talent it may have made sense - a QB away kinda thing.  The Jets are so talent depleted and the GM should have understood that.  

This was giving $100 million to a QB without a playoff win and only one visit to the playoff entirely.

Look what happened even with the talented Vikings team.

Mac got lucky not landing him - Jets got lucky not landing him.

Not to rehash old arguments but offering Cousins that kind of money was a terrible decision.  
If the Jets had talent it may have made sense - a QB away kinda thing.  The Jets are so talent depleted and the GM should have understood that.  
This was giving $100 million to a QB without a playoff win and only one visit to the playoff entirely.
Look what happened even with the talented Vikings team.
Mac got lucky not landing him - Jets got lucky not landing him.
Out of curiosity and somewhat off topic what are your thoughts on leveon bell

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I get what you're saying but if you can't see the difference between the three I feel bad for you.

Out of curiosity and somewhat off topic what are your thoughts on leveon bell

I would love Bell. Worth whatever it takes.

But you can’t compare a commitment to a RB and a QB.

Bell will make Darnold better. Couldn’t afford Bell if you paid Cousins.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

7 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I see many differences in each of them. Darnold is a good prospect. Sanchez was a good prospect too. Geno Smith was a decent prospect. Darnold has a lot to prove still

A lot to prove, yes, but already better than both and had a better resume coming in. A way better prospect... hands down.

I would love Bell. Worth whatever it takes.

But you can’t compare a commitment to a RB and a QB.

Bell will make Darnold better. Couldn’t afford Bell if you paid Cousins.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31
Qb is the most important position in the sport. Cousins was looking for a big contract. Bell will be looking for a big contract which will prevent is from signing other positions of need. Cousins had no off field issues or red flags. I could argue bell would be a more risky signing than cousins would have been.

Rubbish.  Half the league would have wanted Cousins if they had the cap room.  In retrospect we wound up in a better place but it would not have been possible if not for Macc having a plan B firmly in place.

If you really want a guy that badly, you make room for him.

No one offered more than the Jets did. A very telling example of how dumb Mike Maccagnan is.

We got our franchise QB mostly in spite of Maccagnan. His Plan A was Cousins. His Plan B was “whoever is available at 3”, which easily could have been Josh Allen.

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Darnold is our guy. Macc is an imposter. 

Archived