Looking back at Jets' Trade Last Yr to Draft Sam  ~ ~ ~

kelly

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

You can’t get lucky if you aren’t in a position to do so. Many could have waited until draft day to make the trade- we wouldn’t have a 1st rounder this year if Darnold was on the board at 3 and we were at 6. I don’t GAF about Mac, but this move was a great one.

Understood, the timing was good, but still it will be proven to be one of the biggest gifts in NFL history.  It was STILL LUCK.

I just don’t like how much I feel that Maccagnan lacks in the ability to think critically.  Why did he bring McCown in to, of course not go to the playoffs (he actually played very well) and potentially knock the Jets lower in the 1st Rd of what was being touted as the best QB draft since 1983?  Why neglect the Oline since Day 1 when you know you need a QB?

Why didn’t he have the guts to just roll with his 2nd Rd pick from just 1 year prior?  Fans wouldn’t even have cared if they lost every game.

I just hate giving this guy credit for just about anything, but I will when warranted.  Darnold actually was wearing a brown colored tie on the night of the draft.

Jets hit the Lotto that night. 

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

The fact that you a handful of poster went hard on getting Rosen and placing Allen down is more nauseating. I'll take this avatar down and put up my boy Philip Rivers but I guess that'll be a problem as well. Can you at least admit you were wrong on Allen?

Why would I admit I’m wrong about about a QB who did exactly what I thought he was going to do, which is throw 52% completion percentage and toss more interceptions than touchdowns. He’s shown me that he’s the exact same QB he was at Wyoming. Strong arm and athletic but an absolute abysmal passer.

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Reality is that is was both an extremely good trade and an extremely lucky one. The  Jets traded up to get Mayfield their second choice expecting two scenarios:. 

1.  Cleveland takes Darnold. Giants take Barkley, Jets take Mayfield

2. Cleveland as widely rumored at the time, takes Allen Giants take Darnold and Jets take Mayfield

At the time the Giants were completely locked on Barkley but was rumored that they would take Darnold if there. It seemed like it was close to 100 percent on Cleveland taking Darnold anyway.

The Jets traded for Mayfield. They didn't even hide it because it seemed. Nothing could prevent it.

What wasn't known was that Darnold was #1 on their board. Then the Mayfield rumors started and all of a sudden if that is true they can get Darnold so they did a rush visit and liked him even more than they thought.

But I am sure they were now panicked that they would have to choose Allen or Rosen, but Gettleman did what he said all along and took a running back over Darnold.

As reported the Jets wanted to select Sam 30 seconds later, but NFL officials made them wait.

Then Darnold was a Jet. A good trade to get Mayfield became a dream fir the Jets in landing Darnold.

And regardless off how well he plays, Barkley will go down as one of the worst picks in the draft ever.

You nailed it, that's exactly what went on.

If dumb ass Mac didn't draft Hackenpiss then he most likely would of went QB the following year and that would of meant Watson or dare I say Mahomes and then the Jets could of kept all their picks last draft and got their top safety then and not strengthen the Colts like we did. Nothing wrong with Darnold but Mac should of had his QB the season before.

7 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

If dumb ass Mac didn't draft Hackenpiss then he most likely would of went QB the following year and that would of meant Watson or dare I say Mahomes and then the Jets could of kept all their picks last draft and got their top safety then and not strengthen the Colts like we did. Nothing wrong with Darnold but Mac should of had his QB the season before.

If only the Jets picked Marino in 83 ?

We paid a very large draft capital to move up (much larger than the draft chart would normally indicate).  Essentially it cost us an extra 2nd rounder in value.

So the trade perse was a risk (as others pointed out we could have gotten Rosen/Allen) and pretty desperate.  However it was something we *had* to do as a franchise.  I would have been ok with trading our first rounder this year as well.

Getting a FQB is basically worth an infinite amount of draft picks.

Macagnan did what he had to to secure a QB.  My problem with it is all the lost picks were a result of winning meaningless games at the end of the season.    Our pick should have been in that area without having to give up any picks but nooooooo. We couldn't play Hack or Petty.   Those wins cost you the draft picks. 

this trade could of ended up bad if we didnt get darnold and took rosen or allen. Worked out for the best. 

Could you imagine we signed cousins?????? Trade would of never been in play

A+ move
I think there was a good chance at either Mayfield or darnold my guess if we had a good idea of what the giants planned on doing or at least what they would have wanted in order to aquire the pick. The trade was not fool proof but it worked out and might have even worked better than planned.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

14 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Not trade, because it was a pure panic move by Maccagnan knowing that his back was to the wall and if he didn’t land a QB...that was his job.  He was willing to give Kirk (4-25 against teams with winning records) Cousins the entire vault.

NYG grabs Darnold at 2, how good is that trade looking?  It actually would be thought of as 3 pi**ed away #2’s.  He would have grabbed Allen or Rosen and left Barkley on the board even though he would have been hands down BPA, totally contradicting his BPA bullsh*t he has preached since he unfortunately was given the job.

When all is said and done I truly believe that Darnold will be right up there with Namath, maybe even better....but it was pure luck him being here.

But as the saying goes “I’d rather be lucky than good”.  And with Maccagnan...luck is the ONLY thing any Jet fan can hope for.

I think Mac is a bum and has done a putrid job overall, but the bottom line is that he took a smart calculated risk in trading up to #3 assuming the Giants would be drafting Barkley as all signs pointed to,  knowing he would then land one of the two QB's he coveted.  

On 2/15/2019 at 8:01 AM, ChuckkieB said:

I think Mac is a bum and has done a putrid job overall, but the bottom line is that he took a smart calculated risk in trading up to #3 assuming the Giants would be drafting Barkley as all signs pointed to,  knowing he would then land one of the two QB's he coveted.  

Good points.

But you know he was sweating big time when the Giants were on the clock.  At that point it was get a QB to the Jets pronto or just resign and walk to the parking lot.  All Jets fans should be ecstatic that Cousins was just playing them.  Let Minnesota pay 100Mill for that 14% Winning percentage vs winning teams.

The luck of Darnold falling to 3 is the ONLY reason Maccagnan is still employed by the Jets.

When the trade was first announced before the draft even came around I thought it was a brilliant tactical move. I understand based on reading the post here a lot of people do not like the GM and think he lucked into Darnold. Even if I did not like a GM and he made that trade I would think that was a brilliant move simply because it is a mathematical chess move. Sure there is risk but that was obviously weighed out. I would not even care if he had Darnold or Baker ranked higher or even Allen but there is little doubt that moving up to three gave the Jets significant advantage over other quarterback-needy teams. The Browns just sucked enough to not have to worry about it but had they been in the Jets position at 6 I would have been thrilled with them moving up to 3 knowing that the logic behind it. When people started laughing at the Jets overpaying I was thinking why is it called overpaying when they are trying to secure the hardest position in football to secure. Screw any draft chart I can promise you any quarterback-needy team would give up picks knowing how 2018 played out for any of those  3 quarterbacks. I guess what I'm saying is the Bills, the Dolphins, the Cardinals and likely a few other teams not mentioned would have easily given up that much if they knew how the quarterbacks would play their rookie year. So while some might feel like the Jets overpaid and others might feel the GM lucked into getting Darnold I feel that was a brilliant move and there is no such thing as over paying if you land your franchise quarterback

Honestly I was resigned to the fact the Jets were going to end up with Baker Mayfield. I thought there was no way the Jets would get Darnold. When it happened I was almost disappointed because I had invested so much time into researching Mayfield. I thought Darnld had HUGE bust factor. 

I was wrong and I couldn't be happier.

5 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Honestly I was resigned to the fact the Jets were going to end up with Baker Mayfield. I thought there was no way the Jets would get Darnold. When it happened I was almost disappointed because I had invested so much time into researching Mayfield. I thought Darnld had HUGE bust factor. 

I was wrong and I couldn't be happier.

Me to I was all in on Mayfield. I was shocked when the Browns picked him. Even with the rumours earlier that day.

I was preying when the Giants where on the clock, they don't take Darnold.

In hindsight knowing what they know now, would the Giants still take Barkley?

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Me to I was all in on Mayfield. I was shocked when the Browns picked him. Even with the rumours earlier that day.

I was preying when the Giants where on the clock, they don't take Darnold.

In hindsight knowing what they know now, would the Giants still take Barkley?

They say they would have, but I think it's like the kid who got a "C+"  on an exam saying that he would have studied the same exact way if given another chance to take the test.

Archived