Looking back at Jets' Trade Last Yr to Draft Sam  ~ ~ ~

kelly

You can have all of the picks in the world, its knowing how to use them that matters. Colts did a masterful job selecting the right players with the picks they got, that's why they were a playoff team and their QB remained healthy for the first time in eons, and threw for almost 5000 yards. It's not brain surgery. Make the right picks and you become contenders, or at least. respectable.

43 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

You can have all of the picks in the world, its knowing how to use them that matters. Colts did a masterful job selecting the right players with the picks they got, that's why they were a playoff team and their QB remained healthy for the first time in eons, and threw for almost 5000 yards. It's not brain surgery. Make the right picks and you become contenders, or at least. respectable.

Which is why most people here feel a sense of angst with maccags calling the shots. 

The Jets trade last year was to draft a top 3 QB, it just so happened that Darnold was the one that was there for them, which they had no control over.  If it had instead been Allen or Rosen, I seriously doubt this move would be so highly regarded.  I'm glad to have Darnold, and I won't dispute that he never would have made it to 6, but the reality of the situation is the success was a little too reliant on luck to make up for Maccagnan's  overall incompetence.

9 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The Jets trade last year was to draft a top 3 QB, it just so happened that Darnold was the one that was there for them, which they had no control over.  If it had instead been Allen or Rosen, I seriously doubt this move would be so highly regarded.  I'm glad to have Darnold, and I won't dispute that he never would have made it to 6, but the reality of the situation is the success was a little too reliant on luck to make up for Maccagnan's  overall incompetence.

If NYG were unwilling to trade out of the 2-slot for any realistic offer because they loved Barkley that much, then you could view this as highly likely to land a top-2 QB from Macc's perspective.  It's often about educated guesses and calculated risks.  Since no trade to 2 happened for anyone, I tend to believe that the Jets were confident they would get either Mayfield or Darnold.  I still think they paid a bit more than I'd have hoped, but at the end of the day, it turned out to be a great trade for us.

If it didn't happen, we would be currently arguing about whether we should move up to 1 or 2 to draft Dwayne Haskins to avoid getting leapfrogged by NYG or JAX.  What fun that would have been!

The Colts have been working on rebuilding the O-line ever since they drafted luck in 2012. 

None of the O-linemen they drafted have stuck around until the 2016 draft. In 2016 they used a first rounder on Kelly-C, who is now their starter. They also took Clark- OT, who is still on the team but does not start. Last year they took Nelson- G, who was as solid of a prospect as you could find in the draft. They took B.Smith in Rd. 2 who starts as well. 

My point is, they have been rebuilding the O-line for a while and finally put together a group that can protect their QB. How many yards he threw for is not nec. a direct indicator of how good the o-line is. Lest we forget that Luck is just a really, really good QB when healthy. 

When you look at the Jets, they have not taken an O-lineman in the first 3 rounds since Winters in 2013! He is still their starter.      

I think both teams won in the trade. The Colts needed to desperately get O-line help for Luck and got Nelson/Smith to add to Clark and Kelly who they drafted in 2016. The Jets have been searching for a Franchise QB and finally lucked out by landing Sam. And they had to overpay, that's just how it is. 

In the end, it's much harder to find a Franchise QB so I don't mind missing out on other prospects by giving up the draft picks we had. And you have to get a bit lucky on top of that. We will see how Sam develops. BTW- The Colts would have probably taken Q.Nelson #3 overall anyway- trade or no trade. 

I didn't think Mayfield would be this good but I did figure either he or Rosen would be there at 6 so I didn't like the trade.  We got lucky.  Out twos would have helped a lot.  Keeping our twos was half the reason I wanted Couples.  Again we got lucky.  

You need luck on your side in the draft. You can’t tell me the Pats waited until the 6th round to draft Brady because they thought he was the future or Green Bay was targeting Rogers at 25. Players fall and other teams take advantage. It always works that way. Every team needs luck. Mac put us in the best possible position to draft a QB and we got lucky this time. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

There were tons of people on this board who found Allen intriguing and would have loved the pick. There were people who even loved Rosen. But Allen has definitely shown he belongs in this league and will be a problem for us for many years to come. His two main receivers where rookies and he had a scrub C. So bad that Long is considered an upgrade. Would have loved Allen and those 3 2nd rounders, however it is what it is and Sam is our guy.

On March 17, 2018, it was an absolutely brilliant move to trade the 3 2nd round picks to move up those 3 spots.  

How we got that point was questionable, both in terms of winning too many games in 2017 and trying to sign Cousins.  

You have a Trumaine signing and Shepherd drafting in early 2018 that were also dubious.

So from my perspective there is some good and lots of bad with Mac.  I think we are all looking at what happens in the next 4 months and decide if he is really capable.  The Chiefs fired Dorsey after the 2017 draft.  Maybe we do that.  

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

On March 17, 2018, it was an absolutely brilliant move to trade the 3 2nd round picks to move up those 3 spots.  

How we got that point was questionable, both in terms of winning too many games in 2017 and trying to sign Cousins.  

You have a Trumaine signing and Shepherd drafting in early 2018 that were also dubious.

So from my perspective there is some good and lots of bad with Mac.  I think we are all looking at what happens in the next 4 months and decide if he is really capable.  The Chiefs fired Dorsey after the 2017 draft.  Maybe we do that.  

The year the Patriots took Tom Brady in the 6th round, they also took guys like Adrian Klemm in the 2nd, JR Redmond in the 3rd and a bunch of scrubs with their other 4,5,6,7 round picks. If you ask anyone about the Patriots draft that year, I am pretty sure they are all thrilled with the outcome of that draft even if the other 8-9 players taken were busts. 

The draft is a colossal crap shoot. Even if Herndon is a bust and no other player from that class turns out to be any good, this will go down as a great draft and obviously a great trade IF Darnold is our Franchise QB for the next 15 years. 

With that said, I do agree that Macc's draft history is not as good as it should be, but it's also not nearly as awful as some make it out to be thanks to his 1st round picks who may not all be Pro Bowlers they weren't busts. Macc also has a very good track record when it comes to trades. 

I am not voting Macc for exec of the year anytime soon, but he isn't nearly as bad as some suggest. 

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

What can Mac do in 4 months to compensate for the nightmare he delivered that past 3-4 years for us to consider him capable?

The word was at the time that the Jets were high on Mayfield.  The conventional wisdom was that Sam was the consensus #1 overall pick to Cleveland.  The Giants were steadfast, all along in that they were enamored with Barkley, and would be their pick.  It was then Maccagnan's estimation, rightfully so, that either Sam and probably Mayfield, his intended target, would be there for the Jets.  Now, there are those of us here who are attempting to make this a Josh Allen or Josh Rosen thing, where the stumbling, bumbling Macc fell into Sam, saving us from being "stuck" with one of them.  Weak.  The truth of the matter is that it was going to be Sam or Baker to the Jets at #3, no one else.  Get your facts straight.

3 hours ago, nico002 said:

Best trade in franchise history.

Not sure why people are laughing or confused by this. I can't think of another trade that has had more of an impact on the future of the Jets organization. 

There are only two trades that even come close to this. One being the trade for Bill Parcells, and the other being for Curtis Martin. 

1 hour ago, tfine said:

You need luck on your side in the draft. You can’t tell me the Pats waited until the 6th round to draft Brady because they thought he was the future or Green Bay was targeting Rogers at 25. Players fall and other teams take advantage. It always works that way. Every team needs luck. Mac put us in the best possible position to draft a QB and we got lucky this time. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Except neither of those two teams in those years are ever credited with any brilliant strategy for supposedly targeting those guys a month before the draft in those spots.  Everyone concedes that sometimes you just need to be lucky.  The issue is when the incompetence of a GM is attempted to be considered offset by the fact that he traded up before still needing that kind of luck, after already passing on numerous other instances of such luck being given to him in years before that.

I'm enjoying the luck of Darnold.  I am not at all enjoying that it's allowed an idiot in Maccagnan keep his job.

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The word was at the time that the Jets were high on Mayfield.  The conventional wisdom was that Sam was the consensus #1 overall pick to Cleveland.  The Giants were steadfast, all along in that they were enamored with Barkley, and would be their pick.  It was then Maccagnan's estimation, rightfully so, that either Sam and probably Mayfield, his intended target, would be there for the Jets.  Now, there are those of us here who are attempting to make this a Josh Allen or Josh Rosen thing, where the stumbling, bumbling Macc fell into Sam, saving us from being "stuck" with one of them.  Weak.  The truth of the matter is that it was going to be Sam or Baker to the Jets at #3, no one else.  Get your facts straight.

I don't think you "know" what facts actually means.

The recently contrived concept that everyone knew beyond question that the Giants were taking Barkley all along is a complete work of fiction.  The moment Darnold was unexpectedly on the board for them, it immediately became highly questioned who they would be taking, or offers they'd listen to.

44 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

What can Mac do in 4 months to compensate for the nightmare he delivered that past 3-4 years for us to consider him capable?

Not saying that it will happen, or that he is capable of pulling it off, but he can absolutely redeem himself over the next  four months. 

In MY opinion, this is what Macc would need to in order to swing the pendulum the opposite way: (not necessarily in this order)

• Accumulate picks - Trade down at least once in the first round for mid-round picks this year, and early round picks next year

We need an edge like a Garfunkel needs Simon, but we have more pressing needs on offense that cannot be filled through free agency. A QB hungry team might be willing to mortgage the farm for #3. 

• Draft best available OL in first round

With the assumption that we have traded down, taking an OL is a no-brainer. Good, and cheap offensive linemen are not available in free agency. You can have good, or cheap. Never both. 

• Draft another offensive lineman, and the draft one more

Protecting Sam Darnold should be priority #1. 

• Sign Matt Paradis

A veteran to anchor the OL

• Sign Le'Veon Bell with a front loaded contract

I was initially opposed to signing Bell, but he can be a game changer. I'm still leary about his locker room presence, but President Mal might be a good influence on him. 

• Finally, and most importantly...have a signature draft. 

It's a Captain Obvious statement, but we are talking about what it would take to compensate for his first four years of miserable drafts. Again, not saying that he is capable, but this is what it would take for Macc to change people's minds. 

Mac got the team in a better position to get their (potential) franchise QB. It wasn't a guarantee that the Jets would get the man they wanted, or that he'll turn out to be the answer for a decade or two. But it was a solid gamble,  a good trade for the Colts, and good trade for us.

Now... what would be great is if the could return the favor to somebody else this year.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I don't think you "know" what facts actually means.

The recently contrived concept that everyone knew beyond question that the Giants were taking Barkley all along is a complete work of fiction.  The moment Darnold was unexpectedly on the board for them, it immediately became highly questioned who they would be taking, or offers they'd listen to.

Baloney.  Dave Gettleman stated before the draft that the Giants intention was to draft Barkley, which is exactly what they did.  Will Brinson cbssports.com,4/28/18, quote; "Gettleman also explained that he did not have any interest in trading out of the #2 pick, something he tried to make clear before the draft".  Gettleman, quote: "People call you and they want the second pick of the draft for a bag of doughnuts, a hot pretzel and a hot dog",  "Leave me alone. I don't have time to screw around."  There were also the "Touched by G-d" and "if you get a chance to draft a hall of famer, you do it" quotes. More from newjersey.com,4/27/18:  Gettleman, quote:  "In baseball they call it a five tool player, I have not seen a guy like this in a long time.  I have been doing this for 30 plus years."  Does any of this sound familiar to you?  If not then look it up.  The "recently contrived concept" is the tripe you are trying to perpetrate here.  The work of "fiction" is on your end and of the "media experts" who tried to inject drama into the pick by floating the same baloney you're trying to sell here.  The way it happened, and the way I stated it, are the "facts".  Whether you like it or not.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

I would make that deal everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Even if it doesn't work out with Sam you have to take a shot. They did and we will see how it works out but I am nothing but optimistic concerning Sam Darnold.

Especially with Mac drafting. We are so use to him wasting Most of our 2nd round picks 

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Dorsey drafted Mahomes, Hill and Hunt (still good pick, unless everyone knew something).  The Chiefs still fired him do to other issues I suspect. 

I would have fired Mac based on his terrible and statistically proven terrible drafting outside of the first round (where he drafts not to fail).  But, for whatever reason the Johnsons decided to keep him and give him another chance.

So he needs to aggressively win and sign players to make the Jets a complete team, and then draft well.  We will not know how well he drafts until years down the road, but if his 1-3 round picks can contribute next year, and his FA signings are not busts (good judgment and incentivizing), he probably gets to stick around a bit.  

I honestly think he and his team completely dogged the scouting process for the last 4 years.  He was picking players the coaches liked.  

Reality is that is was both an extremely good trade and an extremely lucky one. The  Jets traded up to get Mayfield their second choice expecting two scenarios:. 

1.  Cleveland takes Darnold. Giants take Barkley, Jets take Mayfield

2. Cleveland as widely rumored at the time, takes Allen Giants take Darnold and Jets take Mayfield

At the time the Giants were completely locked on Barkley but was rumored that they would take Darnold if there. It seemed like it was close to 100 percent on Cleveland taking Darnold anyway.

The Jets traded for Mayfield. They didn't even hide it because it seemed. Nothing could prevent it.

What wasn't known was that Darnold was #1 on their board. Then the Mayfield rumors started and all of a sudden if that is true they can get Darnold so they did a rush visit and liked him even more than they thought.

But I am sure they were now panicked that they would have to choose Allen or Rosen, but Gettleman did what he said all along and took a running back over Darnold.

As reported the Jets wanted to select Sam 30 seconds later, but NFL officials made them wait.

Then Darnold was a Jet. A good trade to get Mayfield became a dream fir the Jets in landing Darnold.

And regardless off how well he plays, Barkley will go down as one of the worst picks in the draft ever.

21 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Reality is that is was both an extremely good trade and an extremely lucky one. The  Jets traded up to get Mayfield their second choice expecting two scenarios:. 

1.  Cleveland takes Darnold. Giants take Barkley, Jets take Mayfield

2. Cleveland as widely rumored at the time, takes Allen Giants take Darnold and Jets take Mayfield

At the time the Giants were completely locked on Barkley but was rumored that they would take Darnold if there. It seemed like it was close to 100 percent on Cleveland taking Darnold anyway.

The Jets traded for Mayfield. They didn't even hide it because it seemed. Nothing could prevent it.

What wasn't known was that Darnold was #1 on their board. Then the Mayfield rumors started and all of a sudden if that is true they can get Darnold so they did a rush visit and liked him even more than they thought.

But I am sure they were now panicked that they would have to choose Allen or Rosen, but Gettleman did what he said all along and took a running back over Darnold.

As reported the Jets wanted to select Sam 30 seconds later, but NFL officials made them wait.

Then Darnold was a Jet. A good trade to get Mayfield became a dream fir the Jets in landing Darnold.

And regardless off how well he plays, Barkley will go down as one of the worst picks in the draft ever.

Be very careful when presenting  reality, the truth, and facts ,especially facts. Some people around  here tend to get upset.

7 hours ago, nico002 said:

Best trade in franchise history.

Not trade, because it was a pure panic move by Maccagnan knowing that his back was to the wall and if he didn’t land a QB...that was his job.  He was willing to give Kirk (4-25 against teams with winning records) Cousins the entire vault.

NYG grabs Darnold at 2, how good is that trade looking?  It actually would be thought of as 3 pi**ed away #2’s.  He would have grabbed Allen or Rosen and left Barkley on the board even though he would have been hands down BPA, totally contradicting his BPA bullsh*t he has preached since he unfortunately was given the job.

When all is said and done I truly believe that Darnold will be right up there with Namath, maybe even better....but it was pure luck him being here.

But as the saying goes “I’d rather be lucky than good”.  And with Maccagnan...luck is the ONLY thing any Jet fan can hope for.

4 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

There were tons of people on this board who found Allen intriguing and would have loved the pick. There were people who even loved Rosen. But Allen has definitely shown he belongs in this league and will be a problem for us for many years to come. His two main receivers where rookies and he had a scrub C. So bad that Long is considered an upgrade. Would have loved Allen and those 3 2nd rounders, however it is what it is and Sam is our guy.

You and like two other people lol. The fact that you still have him as your avatar is as nauseating as Villain’s Baker avey. Change that god awful picture.

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Except neither of those two teams in those years are ever credited with any brilliant strategy for supposedly targeting those guys a month before the draft in those spots.  Everyone concedes that sometimes you just need to be lucky.  The issue is when the incompetence of a GM is attempted to be considered offset by the fact that he traded up before still needing that kind of luck, after already passing on numerous other instances of such luck being given to him in years before that.

I'm enjoying the luck of Darnold.  I am not at all enjoying that it's allowed an idiot in Maccagnan keep his job.

I think Darnold is going to be so good (I predict a Wildcard slot for the Jets next year), that Maccagnan is around for at least another 10 years.....just along for the ride, holding on.

This kid can put almost an entire sack of garbage on his back (2018 Jets) and basically win games all by himself.  That’s his pedigree and history all the way back to Little League.  HE TAKES GAMES OVER.

Can you imagine how good he will be if the Jets luck into a handful more competent players, to support him, to go along with not having the worst HC in the NFL anymore?

6 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

It was 100% a panic move that fortunately worked out. Thankfully.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

You and like two other people lol. The fact that you still have him as your avatar is as nauseating as Villain’s Baker avey. Change that god awful picture.

The fact that you a handful of poster went hard on getting Rosen and placing Allen down is more nauseating. I'll take this avatar down and put up my boy Philip Rivers but I guess that'll be a problem as well. Can you at least admit you were wrong on Allen?

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Not trade, because it was a pure panic move by Maccagnan knowing that his back was to the wall and if he didn’t land a QB...that was his job.  He was willing to give Kirk (4-25 against teams with winning records) Cousins the entire vault.

NYG grabs Darnold at 2, how good is that trade looking?  It actually would be thought of as 3 pi**ed away #2’s.  He would have grabbed Allen or Rosen and left Barkley on the board even though he would have been hands down BPA, totally contradicting his BPA bullsh*t he has preached since he unfortunately was given the job.

When all is said and done I truly believe that Darnold will be right up there with Namath, maybe even better....but it was pure luck him being here.

But as the saying goes “I’d rather be lucky than good”.  And with Maccagnan...luck is the ONLY thing any Jet fan can hope for.

You can’t get lucky if you aren’t in a position to do so. Many could have waited until draft day to make the trade- we wouldn’t have a 1st rounder this year if Darnold was on the board at 3 and we were at 6. I don’t GAF about Mac, but this move was a great one.

Archived