Johnny Lam Jones passes away.

Patriot Killa

3 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i am 39, not old enough to remember him. what was the atmosphere around him and the jets fans considering he was such a high pick and didn't materialize as a pro?

Much like Blair Thomas injuries derailed Lam thus the “BUST” image assigned to both. RIP Lam

16 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i am 39, not old enough to remember him. what was the atmosphere around him and the jets fans considering he was such a high pick and didn't materialize as a pro?

The thought was, pairing Lam Jones, who was an Olympic Gold Medalist in relay, would create a dynamic duo of WR's paired with Wesley Walker that could not be covered.

What the Jets failed to realize, was that Jones was a converted track star, a converted RB from his early days at the University of Texas, and that part of the WR equation is actually catching the football.

Yes, Jones could get himself open (at least on deep routes). But his hands were awful. You could count the number of drops that he had within any game. And then it just became a head case mentality.

It just never worked. Good idea to pair someone with Walker, just the wrong guy. I cannot recall what Jones was slotted in the draft, and if the Jets overpaid for that slot. They certainly overpaid in draft capital, wasting an extra first round pick, from what I believe was the Matt Robinson trade, which they executed in perfection from Denver.

Jet fans at that time had a lot to be excited about with that team, as they actually drafted fairly well during that time. This was just a classic overdraft.

The thought was, pairing Lam Jones, who was an Olympic Gold Medalist in relay, would create a dynamic duo of WR's paired with Wesley Walker that could not be covered.
What the Jets failed to realize, was that Jones was a converted track star, a converted RB from his early days at the University of Texas, and that part of the WR equation is actually catching the football.
Yes, Jones could get himself open (at least on deep routes). But his hands were awful. You could count the number of drops that he had within any game. And then it just became a head case mentality.
It just never worked. Good idea to pair someone with Walker, just the wrong guy. I cannot recall what Jones was slotted in the draft, and if the Jets overpaid for that slot. They certainly overpaid in draft capital, wasting an extra first round pick, from what I believe was the Matt Robinson trade, which they executed in perfection from Denver.
Jet fans at that time had a lot to be excited about with that team, as they actually drafted fairly well during that time. This was just a classic overdraft.

Wikipedia says that they were set to draft Munoz but the team doctors advised against it....so there is that.

5 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Wikipedia says that they were set to draft Munoz but the team doctors advised against it....so there is that.

The Jet doctors were the most conservative in the league. If you had any, and I mean any knee injury, the looked the other way and took you off the draft board. They felt burned from the Namath short career, and viewed knee injuries as a non-starter in discussing players. That and really any red flags related to character and drug history.

The knee issue is a primary reason they would not look at Marino. Well, that and the drug rumors.

The Jet doctors were the most conservative in the league. If you had any, and I mean any knee injury, the looked the other way and took you off the draft board. They felt burned from the Namath short career, and viewed knee injuries as a non-starter in discussing players. That and really any red flags related to character and drug history.
The knee issue is a primary reason they would not look at Marino. Well, that and the drug rumors.

Amazing. I suspect our franchise would look very different with Munoz and Marino

the guy had some seriously good talent except for catching.  i remember seeing him easily getting behind the defense, obrien throwing a ball that basically landed in his hands and him dropping it.  imagine if he could catch the ball better.

so sad to see any player die at such a young age.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

the guy had some seriously good talent except for catching.  i remember seeing him easily getting behind the defense, obrien throwing a ball that basically landed in his hands and him dropping it.  imagine if he could catch the ball better.

so sad to see any player die at such a young age.

He only played a partial season with Kenny (Ken's rookie year). Majority of time was spent with Todd. But you are right, he would be wide open behind the defender and could not bring it in.

Archived