Villain's Post-Combine 2019 Mock Draft w/trades Rds 1-3

Villain The Foe

Jets need to trade down, period. It's clear that we have a mathematical guarantee that either Kyle Murray, Quinnen Williams or Nick Bosa will be on the board when we pick which means that we will have a player coveted enough to complete a trade down for 2nd round picks. As my prior mock I had us trading down twice and picking up two 2nd round picks while picking in the bottom half of the 1st round. 

1st round. Garrett Bradberry: Center, NC State. We've revamped our offensive line with a mixture of veterans and a rookie in order to protect Darnold and create lanes for Bell. 

2nd round. Juan Thornhill: Safety/Corner, Virginia. He's one of the best  DB's in the country bar none. He's a former corner who moved to safety but has shown the ability to cover inside, outside, in the box or centerfield. He's this year's version of Tyrann Mathieu, a multi-tool pocket knife. Some may want to criticize this pick Given our 2 Safety draft picks a couple years ago, however, this kid could end up being the best cover DB on the team, and we need cover backs...especially on the inside and on TE's. You can put this kid anywhere on the football field and he'll produce. Also, dude is crazy explosive, just check out his broad jump and vertical at the combine. Speaking of his vertical, he was 1 inch short of the combine record. 

2nd round. Riley Ridley: WR Georgia. My favorite WR of the draft. I think he's a #1 WR-type talent. He ran a 4.59 at the combine which isnt very fast, but his tape shows a guy who knows how to use his hands and feet to get off press, understands how to run routes, high points the ball and has consistent hands. He's also the younger brother of the Falcon's WR Calvin Ridley.

3rd round. Jaylon Ferguson: DE, LA Tech. He's a quality guy who will probably fall because of some off the field issues, but he looks the part of a pass rusher and could become a respectable pass rusher at his peak potential. 

3rd round. Trey Pipkins: OT Sioux Falls. Developmental tackle with some raw tools. Stood out at the East West Shrine game. 

This may be my final mock, im not sure, but I like what I see so far. 

I still don’t believe the Jets will be able to trade out once, or even should depending on who’s there, but twice? Seems ludicrous. 

Regardless looking at the players:

Garret, sure. No problem with it. Thornhill? Terrible choice for us in the second round. I don’t care if he’s a talented player, That pic is not going to move the needle. There’s better pure corners. I am tired of justifications for picks that don’t  move the needle, bc of “talent”. 

Riley I can get behind, though I think you’re paying a premium for him. Better value in the third for riley. But I can dig it. Ferguson? Terrible pick. He bombed his proday worse than any other prospect I’ve ever seen. And clearly established himself as a day three day guy at best. Taking him in the third will be at will be up there with Hackenburg.. 

I do like Pipkins tho. He’s on my small school radar. 

You need to finish your mock too. Can’t pussy out after 3. 

I like the Riley and Ferguson picks, but no way in hell I trade down if Bosa is there unless I’m offered something absolutely ridiculous. Hell, I’d even say the same for Allen.

We’ve been searching for a prized edgerusher for going on 15 years now. Next month is the best chance we’ve had during that span to finally land one.

I’m not giving that up in favor of a center prospect and an extra 2nd round pick.

We don’t need the next Kevin Mawae or Nick Mangold at center. Just someone who isn’t a clueless a$$hole and can consistently snap the ball towards Darnold’s torso instead of at his ankles or 3 feet over his head.

Villain, you are a very good poster and I like what you contribute re the draft, but man I dislike this mock. 

I like Bradbury, but I need something better in the first round than him. If the Jets are dropping from 3 to the 20s, what are they getting in return? Or are you picking Bradbury in the teens? 

9 hours ago, maury77 said:

Villain, you are a very good poster and I like what you contribute re the draft, but man I dislike this mock. 

I like Bradbury, but I need something better in the first round than him. If the Jets are dropping from 3 to the 20s, what are they getting in return? Or are you picking Bradbury in the teens? 

Its a multiple trade down. Im picking Bradbury in the 20's. 

As for everyone's dislike, I almost hope for that given that I like to look back 3 years out to see how the picks developed.

Also, it's simply not fun creating a mock with the expected players. What's the point of creating a personal mock if that's the case? There will be more good players than who we expect, and some players who we expect to be good will bust. It happens every single year. 

My purpose is to present scenarios and players that I believe will be good but also players who are not really attached to the team or arent getting much love from the press. 

It's great to look back and say "damn, this mock was trash, you guys were right" or "damn, I hit on alot of guys that no one even talked about". 

It's easy to say "Jets takes Nick Bosa/Allen/Williams 3rd overall". 

No need in even doing a mock then IMO. 

Id rather hear the the criticism and maybe have folks look into some of these guys as well. 

First of all, if we trade down to the bottom half of the round, we end up with a LOT more than 2 2nd round picks.  But for the sake of argument, I'll assume the other picks are in 2020.

Regarding your picks, I believe we should be able to get Jenkins or McCoy in the early 2nd round and I'm not sure how much better Bradbury is than those guys.  Depending on where those 2nd round picks where, I might prefer to get the C and WR in the 2nd and use the late 1st on the best player at any of several positions of need rather than target just one.  I'd include pass rusher, OT or CB if a good one slips, maybe WR or TE as well. 

Some names I could see in the 17-22 range include Brian Burns, Byron Murphy, Marquise Brown, TJ Hockenson or Dalton Risner.  Some mocks even have guys like Ferrell, Fant or Cody Ford slipping there.  So many variables that it's hard to play it out specifically.

7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I wouldnt for my mock. I heard the same thing with Leo Williams. Darnold is the most important person here and it's in the best interest of the team as a whole to protect him. 

I get it. How about protecting him by giving him an elite Pass Rusher who can get to the QB and protect the lead so Darnold doesn't have to run around trying to put up points in the last few minutes of the game. LOL. Just saying. You don't pass on a guy like Bosa when you need a guy like Bosa. Simple as that. JMHO.

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I get it. How about protecting him by giving him an elite Pass Rusher who can get to the QB and protect the lead so Darnold doesn't have to run around trying to put up points in the last few minutes of the game. LOL. Just saying. You don't pass on a guy like Bosa when you need a guy like Bosa. Simple as that. JMHO.

I'd rather protect him with a body in front of him that's on the field the same time as him. 

We tried to protect the offense by continuously drafting defense. How many more decades will it take for GM's and fans to realize that it's a viable idea...I dont know. 

28 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I'd rather protect him with a body in front of him that's on the field the same time as him

We tried to protect the offense by continuously drafting defense. How many more decades will it take for GM's and fans to realize that it's a viable idea...I dont know. 

? One of your better lines.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Villain. Love you. This draft happens I’m going on a killing spree.

Lmao. 

Do this. If it happens, just give it 3 years. We've given, Macc, Tanny, Idzik and Bradway 20 years of our lives, and the only one to get it half right was Tanny...and im starting to believe he tripped into good decisions for 2 drafts. lol. 

Archived