College Football 2019

13 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Couple of observations from the Syracuse game yesterday.

Our defense could be really good this year.

DeVito wasn't sharp at all, in fact he was reckless at times. I'll give him a pass though, I'm just happy we didn't open against a stronger opponent then Liberty.

Hugh Freeze is a maniac. Who coaches from a hospital bed in the coaches box? :dohslap:

Defense is nice, DeVito will be good.  They have a little more expectations this year, Pre-season top 25, so they have a little more pressure on them.  I’m trying to get up there in two weeks for the Clemson game, should be fun, lots of orange.  

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Defense is nice, DeVito will be good.  They have a little more expectations this year, Pre-season top 25, so they have a little more pressure on them.  I’m trying to get up there in two weeks for the Clemson game, should be fun, lots of orange.  

I'm looking forward to that one, just go easy on us, LOL. We seem to play our best against games against your team, but we've gotten lucky in that your starting QBs were dinged up the last couple of years when we played. Obviously Lawrence is a beast.

I always like to tease the Clemson fans about them having the second best uniforms in the ACC.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

sorry, Antonio Gandy-Golden - the big WR for liberty. Basically the only one playing offense vs Syracuse yesterday

Ahh yes... He had a really good game, I think he was over 100 yards with about 6 catches, and our CBs are supposed to be pretty good.  You like him?

13 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Ahh yes... He had a really good game, I think he was over 100 yards with about 6 catches, and our CBs are supposed to be pretty good.  You like him?

Love him. Big body who tracks the ball and knows how to play through the DB. Physical and natural hands. It's all effortless.... Reminds me of Brandon Marshall - including some of the parallels with a smaller program.

Hate posting "highlight reels" but it's too early in the year to nerd out cropped film.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Love him. Big body who tracks the ball and knows how to play through the DB. Physical and natural hands. It's all effortless.... Reminds me of Brandon Marshall - including some of the parallels with a smaller program.

Hate posting "highlight reels" but it's too early in the year to nerd out cropped film.

When you're watching a kid like him who plays for a school like Liberty, how much importance do you put on a game against a team like Syracuse? I'm assuming we're one of the better teams he'll play against, so the easy answer is "a lot", but it can't always be cut and dry because he's so much better then most of his teammates on offense it's hard for him to show how good he really could be, as opposed to him playing with a team in a power conference with more talent around him on both his team and his opponent..

I hope that makes sense. I come from a baseball background, where a player can show his individual skills so much easier then a team sport like football where you depend on your teammates so much for a play to work well. I'd imagine it's really difficult gauging a smaller school player, and I'd imagine those isolation highlight films become very important, no?

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You must be rather upset considering what happened to your young potential star QB last night.

Not just “rather upset” - very upset.  

Any player, regardless of the program, I’d be upset.  Injury goes beyond football or team colors.

Hard not too feel with a mother’s heart.

12 minutes ago, RobR said:

I'm not surprised about the score differential, but this OU defense looks good against a pretty decent O for Houston. Houston can't get anything going.

And Kenneth Murray is a stud. 

Murray just flies around out there.

Hopefully Houston gets points before halftime.  At least they'll keep us watching into the 2nd half; didn't look that way early.

Texas A&M getting 17 points today at Clemson seems like a big number.  Clemson may win, but A&M will score some points, Mond is better than when CU played them last year and Clemson’s front 7 isn’t nearly as good as it was last year.  Seems like a big number.  A&M’s secondary is big, they have the size to match up with Higgins, Ross and company.   They’re a little inexperienced but very good athletically.  This could be the toughest test CU faces all season.  Trevor is going to need to play MUCH better than he did in the opener.  Could be trouble in Death Valley this afternoon for the Tigers.  

23 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Texas A&M getting 17 points today at Clemson seems like a big number.  Clemson may win, but A&M will score some points, Mond is better than when CU played them last year and Clemson’s front 7 isn’t nearly as good as it was last year.  Seems like a big number.  A&M’s secondary is big, they have the size to match up with Higgins, Ross and company.   They’re a little inexperienced but very good athletically.  This could be the toughest test CU faces all season.  Trevor is going to need to play MUCH better than he did in the opener.  Could be trouble in Death Valley this afternoon for the Tigers.  

I took Clemson and took another brutally bead beat. Northwestern week one as well where all the fat olinemen had to do was fall on it for a safety, but decided to totally whiff at it giving Standford the covering score on the last play of the game.

Gambling is for suckers.

• Upvote 1

Franks out for the year...

While trash, I feel bad for the kid.  Lots of hype coming into the season only to play like sh*t and then get IR'd.  Sucks.  Not good for the Gators either.  While Trask played well in relief, he literally has nothing to offer outside of simple game management.  Might be enough to win a few but LSU, Auburn and Georgia over a  4 week period?  Not a chance.  Lucky if we get to 9 wins this season.  8 is sounding about right.

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Liberty’s WR coach, who coached at Ole’ Miss last year has compared AGG to DK a few times.  Not so much in terms of their speed, but how competitive they are when the ball is the air.  

He's got the natural flash when the balls in the air -- tracking, attacking and concentration... very young Brandon Marshall like. 

Watching the Bama SC game...  these receivers, my goodness. I could see all 4 of them being top 50 picks and becoming big playmakers. 

We could wind up talking about the 2019 Bama receiver corps in fable fashion years from now. 

Devonta Smith. The hands on that kid. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

Watching the Bama SC game...  these receivers, my goodness. I could see all 4 of them being top 50 picks and becoming big playmakers. 

We could wind up talking about the 2019 Bama receiver corps in fable fashion years from now. 

Devonta Smith. The hands on that kid. 

Jeudy looks a guy who you can write down 90 receptions 1300  yards and 10TDs every year.  Such a high floor with him.  

We talk every year about double dipping at the WR position, but if ever there was year, and a huge need to do so, it’s this draft.  The players will be there.  

58 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Jeudy looks a guy who you can write down 90 receptions 1300  yards and 10TDs every year.  Such a high floor with him.  

We talk every year about double dipping at the WR position, but if ever there was year, and a huge need to do so, it’s this draft.  The players will be there.  

I get the logic behind potentially double dipping, but with so many holes on the roster can we really afford to double dip anywhere,  Sad truth is we could afford to double dip in several spots:  CB, WR, OL.  I would be very happy with a Jeudy/Higgins type in R1, but then I would prefer to look at CB or OL in R2.  Depending on what JD was able to get done in FA.

Unfortunately, this is probably at least a 2-year rebuild for Douglas.  Which follows a failed 4-year Idzik rebuild, followed by a failed 2-year competitive rebuild by Macc, followed by a failed 2+ year full rebuild by Macc.  I am tired of rebuilds!!!

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Jeudy looks like he could hit the ground running today... score from anywhere. Ruggs is disgusting fast and while maybe as dynamic as Tyreek, they're ability to rocket away from would be tacklers is similar... Waddle looks like who Macc thought A. Stewart was, and Smith, my god - he made some contested catches that got me out of my seat  - "no way..."

Still would take Higgins first. A pure X... and it's what we need most of all.