10 Most Likely Jets 1st Round Draft Picks as of Now IMHO

Sarge4Tide

Bill Walsh used to say “get the receivers when you’ve taken care of everything else.” While I don’t completely agree with that in today’s game, I do believe in taking care of the OL before spending high picks on wrs/rbs/tes (if you had a choice between ol and playmaker).

Barring certain exceptions (a Randy Moss type player) you go with LT if there’s one there that you like. 

Bill Walsh used to say “get the receivers when you’ve taken care of everything else.” While I don’t completely agree with that in today’s game, I do believe in taking care of the OL before spending high picks on wrs/rbs/tes (if you had a choice between ol and playmaker).
Barring certain exceptions (a Randy Moss type player) you go with LT if there’s one there that you like. 

Easy for Walsh to say when he had the GOAT receiver, lol.

14 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I agree. Both could potentially be top 5 picks. But players stocks tend to fall and rise after the season is over and they participate in pro days and the combine. 

Exactly. Polite was considered a mid first this time of year so... yeah, a lot can change.  Let's just hope it changes to our benefit for once. We don't need the falling star "gem" BPA guys anymore.  I want OL and more OL. Then WR's to sit on the OL's shoulders and chicken fight in the pool with bikini's on. 

Is that too much to ask dammit? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

It’s not going to be as quick a fix with the OL as many people think. If we can come out of this draft with one starter there for next season, we’ve done well. It would be a nightmare lining up with 3 or 4 rookies on the line.

All this talk of using all our picks on OL and WR is fan board fantasy stuff. Look for probably two OL, a WR, ER, CB, then whoever else JD thinks of as a value pick. It might be a QB taken in the 3rd or 4th, a LB, and maybe even (horrors!!!) a safety at some point.

I’d like to see us take a RB with one of our 3rds, but I don’t have clue who will be around. If it’s the Taylor kid from Wisconsin, I wouldn’t hesitate.

The point is, we need a lot of help. If Douglas is smart he’s looking big picture. Get the best players you can. Hitting on the most picks possible is the priority, not so much trying to pull off a OL quick fix.The odds of pulling that off that are slim.

Just like @Untouchable, I'm fully on the CeeDee Lamb train. I think he's the best WR in this draft, and I think he's going to be a top tier WR, maybe even elite (don't see that in Jeudy at all). He's the guy I want at the spot we're picking.

I know everybody wants to go O-Line, and rightfully so. But I suspect that many posters pounding for OL don't really follow the draft/college and the players like that. They're just thinking "we badly need offensive lineman, so take the best OL available!" Which is fine, that's their way of thinking and they're entitled to it. I've never thought like that though. I prioritize talent/player over need/position. I'm not going to choose B- talent over A talent just because the former fills a bigger need.

When I look at the list of prospects, the only OT that I like as much as Lamb is Andrew Thomas. And he'll be long gone by the time we're on the clock. Lamb should still be there. I'm choosing Lamb over Wirfs every time. I like Leatherwood, but not as much as Lamb. Austin Jackson is a I really like and he has a ton of potential. But he still looks a bit raw to me. Needs more refinement l. He's a guy I'd target in a trade down.

But if we stand pat, I'd rather take CeeDee Lamb. Then in the 2nd take a guy like Prince Wanogho, Josh Jones, Mekhi Becton, or Trey Adams 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, peebag said:

Here's my red hot prediction for the 2020 draft:

The Jets won't find anyone to trade down with in the first round.

I agree. I think the 4th and 5th wins settled that. Maybe trade someone like Adams or QW to get an extra 1st plus... though I’m not crazy about that.

We can still jockey around back and forth though with 5 picks in the first 4 rounds. I’d like to see us come out of this draft with 8 or 9 players.

On 12/11/2019 at 8:34 AM, Warfish said:

Too early for names.

All I care about this draft is a heavy focus on Offense (including use of our first round pick on Offense) and building around Sam Darnold.

O-line, O-line, O-line, a #1 WR, a RB, depth on O-line and at WR.

Defense for once needs to take it on the chin and fill gaps in cheap FA or late round picks. 

We've tried the all-in-on-defense in this offensive-driven era for decades and it hasn't worked.

It's time to go all-in on Offense and Sam.  While we still can...

If we draft some workout warrior "edge", some "totally another Sapp" DT or even a Cornerback, I will throw my slice of draft-watching pizza at my TV, and that's just not cool.

Agree a zillion percent. Offensive line is directly related to success in today's NFL. It might even be more important than QB itself.

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Agree a zillion percent. Offensive line is directly related to success in today's NFL. It might even be more important than QB itself.

I think the Bills replaced 3-4 of their OL starters this year.  Look at them.  

The question is whether, if Thomas and Wirfs are gone when the Jets pick, do the Jets take one of the Alabama OL or someone else. 

19 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Didn't Walsh & the Niners trade up for Rice when he fell?

What do you guys think about Tee Higgins? Obviously we'd need a partner to trade back but Tee + another #2 would be sweet. If Biadesz lives up to his name, trading back & getting Tee Higgins & Biadesz in the 1st would solve 2 problems & Pollack could move Harrison to Guard, no? 

Then you'd have two 2s, 2 threes, one of them being the Giants very high 3. Joe Thuney is 27 & would be much cheaper than Scherff. Thuney comes from being developed by Scarnechia. You'd have Edoga working out all offseason trying to win the RT spot. That leaves Joe Douglas 2,2,3,3,4 to find a LT. 

If Thuney was our Oline free agent, JD to use his other free agent money to solve our pass rush issue. 

Quite a list of guys to choose from (Obviously some will be resigned) but not all: Clowney- Chris Jones- Ngakoue- Bud Dupree- Shaq Barrett- Judon- Van Noy- Mercilus. You add Van Noy to a healthy group of Jenkins/Mosely/Avery Williamson/Hewitt/Cashman/Copeland/Burgess, that's a damn good deep LB core.