10 Most Likely Jets 1st Round Draft Picks as of Now IMHO

Sarge4Tide

5 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

10 Most Likely Jets 2020 1st Round Draft Picks (Dec 11, 2019)

Tristan Wirfs OL Iowa 4.5 to 1
Austin Jackson OL USC 5 to 1
Andrew  Thomas OL UGA 8 to 1
Jerry Jeudy WR  Alabama 10 to 1
CeeCee Lamb WR Oklahoma 12 to 1
Tyler Biadasz OL Wisconsin 14 to 1
Jedrick Willis OL Alabama 15 to 1
Jeff Okudah CB Ohio State 22 to 1
AJ Epensa Edge Iowa 25 to 1
Laviska Shenault WR Colorado 26 to 1

If the Jets pick in the 7-10 range and assuming Joe Burrow (QB) and Chase Young (DE) are the 1st 2 off the board, there will only be 4 to 7 other prospects gone before the Jets pick.  Andrew Thomas of UGA seems to be the best OL prospects, so we assume he will be gone. 

Saw a few mocks that had us taking Jeudy. I'd like to see us go OL if the value is there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

So many things change with prospects after we get past the combine and pro days. But as of right now I like either Andrew Thomas or Jerry Jeudy for this team. Either a franchise tackle or a game changing receiver.

Both of those could be gone.  It might come down to picking between the #2 WR or the #2 OL - which wouldn't be bad options

It never seems to happen for us, but trading down to about pick 20 would net us an extra second and third round pick this draft. Slot 9 is worth 1340 points- 20 about 850. Those 500 points are about right to also get the 2 and 3 round picks.

it would allow a complete rebuild of the OL which would improve our QB, RB, and receiver play compounding the value of the selections.

im actually ok with sticking as 9 and taking a WR or even a pass rusher ; they just have to hit for once. Have to hit on every pick and go nuts with OL overall

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

So many things change with prospects after we get past the combine and pro days. But as of right now I like either Andrew Thomas or Jerry Jeudy for this team. Either a franchise tackle or a game changing receiver.

Lamb over Jeudy all day

Jeudy is a savvy player, but I don’t see “game changer” at all.

Best case scenario he’s Amari Cooper. Solid #1 receiver.

Lamb could be the next DeAndre Hopkins. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

LT, please, to jumpstart the OL rebuild. There's plenty of depth in WR to get an excellent one in round 2 or 3.  If a WR goes in the 2nd, I'd consider OL with both 3rd round picks, or at least one of those with a CB or Edge the other.

If they trade back a bit to get additional picks and proper value on a LT, so be it.

Too early for names.

All I care about this draft is a heavy focus on Offense (including use of our first round pick on Offense) and building around Sam Darnold.

O-line, O-line, O-line, a #1 WR, a RB, depth on O-line and at WR.

Defense for once needs to take it on the chin and fill gaps in cheap FA or late round picks. 

We've tried the all-in-on-defense in this offensive-driven era for decades and it hasn't worked.

It's time to go all-in on Offense and Sam.  While we still can...

If we draft some workout warrior "edge", some "totally another Sapp" DT or even a Cornerback, I will throw my slice of draft-watching pizza at my TV, and that's just not cool.

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Losmeister said:

Not that I disagree...  but, specifics?

Better athlete, catches everything that comes his way unlike Jeudy who has a big issue with concentration drops (see the LSU and Auburn games this year for a prime example), consistently high points the ball and scraps his ass off for it.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Better athlete, catches everything that comes his way unlike Jeudy who has a big issue with concentration drops (see the LSU and Auburn games this year for a prime example), consistently high points the ball and scraps his ass off for it.

fanx. even though I am Bama fan I am not feeling the way many do about Jeudy. I wouldnt select him if he was there for the NY Jets in the 1st rnd.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

fanx. even though I am Bama fan I am not feeling the way many do about Jeudy. I wouldnt select him if he was there for the NY Jets in the 1st rnd.

I wouldn’t have an issue with it

I still have him as my 2nd receiver behind Lamb. I think he’s a pretty safe bet to be a solid, legit #1 receiver for a decade.

That’s why I think the best comparison for him is Amari Cooper, another former Bama wideout.

Same size, same middling athletic ability, same issue with focus drops.

But also like Cooper he’s definitely a fantastic route runner and knows all of the little nuances of playing the position.

I’d still prefer Lamb or one of the OT’s, but I’d be more than content with Jeudy.

• Upvote 1

Not sure who it will be specifically but if I could wish two things into happening it would be...

1. The Jets trade down from say #9 to about #13 or 14 and receive at least another 2nd round pick.

2. With their pick in the middle of the 1st round they take BAP but only between Offensive Linemen and WRs.  That could be CeeDee Lamb, Biadasz, Shinault, Henry Ruggs or Willis IMO.

I'd really like to see the Jets end up with 5 picks in the Top 75 of the Draft (they already have 4 picks in that range when you include the Giants very early 3rd rounder).  IMO, they could keep Jamal Adams through this process and still end up with 5 of the Top 75 college players by trading down a little in Round 1.  That would be the approach I would take because picks are more prized than players to GMs as the Draft gets closer, HOWEVER players become more prized than picks when you're in-season so I'd still keep the option of trading Jamal in October/November 2020 open.  He could be more valuable then.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Lamb over Jeudy all day

Jeudy is a savvy player, but I don’t see “game changer” at all.

Best case scenario he’s Amari Cooper. Solid #1 receiver.

Lamb could be the next DeAndre Hopkins. 

Interesting. I'll be honest, I haven't watched much Oklahoma football this year. I remember seeing CeeDee Lamb last year play in the College Football playoffs but that's it.

Quick question as I have no idea: how many rookies on the OL can come in and start right away? Is it bad to have more than 2? We're not sure how good they will be at the next level. Plus, isn't OL a bit difficult to grasp immediately at the next level? We have one young guy already that was a solid prospect and he's struggled. Just wondering...

Offense, offense, offense and more offense.

You guys are going to kill me but in free agency I'd target defense. 

3 guys so we don't have to use any top picks on anything but young offensive players to develop with our young QB. That gives the offense 4 years together. 

#1 & #2 targets- Edge Rusher Yannick Ngakoue & CB Byron Jones. (Bless is proving himself to be a awesome #2 CB (plus I resign Poole).

#3 target- Strong Safety Tavon Wilson: This is based on us trading Jamal Adams for a #1 & #2 drafts picks.

That sets Joe Douglas up with two #1s, two #2s, two #3s.

Best scenario. Trade bacl with our High #1 for another #2 & #3, giving us two 1s, three #2s, three #3s. 

We could be in the Tee Higgins range with a trade back in the 1st round. Our Adams #1 pick could be in the Biadesz range. Could you imagine going into the 2nd day with Higgins + Biadesz & 6 picks in round 2 & 3? 

Would be the most exciting draft for the Jets in some time with a true football guy in charge like Joe Douglas. 

Now imagine if we ate a bit of Bells salary for another 3rd & had four 3rd round picks! JD could fix the Oline in one draft for Sams next 4 years until the end of 2024. 

Shwing. 

Very few top OL hit free agency, and when next tier guys do they cost an enormous amount of money, like Trent Brown and Nate Solder.  So, if I am a GM, if there is a starting LT type available in the draft, I take him early.  Andrew Thomas and Tristan Wirf will be likely gone before the Jets pick.  That is why I was rooting for them to lose vs. Miami.

How long did it take the Jets to find a QB who could be very good.  A potential FQB will go early, particularly after Mahomes and Watson lasted too long.   So Herbert will go earlier than expected.  

EDGE will also go early.   WRs a little later, because they tend to have a longer adjustment into the NFL.  

• Upvote 2