Barnwell: Of 9 potential Head Coach openings the Jets are 7th best opportunity

jetstream23

The Browns are going to finish the year either 8-8 or 9-7 after playing Washington, Baltimore (doubtful they beat the Ravens 2x) and Cincinnati.

They need help at OL very badly and at LB more then they need a new coach. That said, the Haslam’s aren’t the most stable of owners, so Kitchens fate is up in the air.

We’ll finish 5-11 or 6-10, but between the job he’s done this year, the fact that it’s his and JDs first years, and the patience the Johnson’s have, Gase is safe. We shouldn’t even be on this list.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Lions are projected to have $44M entering the offseason.  That's of course lower than our $62M but they're certainly in very good shape.

The Jaguars certainly have cap issues.  At the moment they're projected to be over the cap in 2020.  But they'll be able to clear a lot of that by cutting Marcell Dareus ($20M in savings) and Calais Campbell ($15M).  And as I mentioned above, they have tons of draft picks the next 2 seasons.  

Yes, all 3 teams have issues at QB, DB and OL.  But so do we.  

51 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The Lion and Jaguars are questionable. Neither are rolling in cap dollars and neither has a great QB, DB or OL situation. 

I think Stafford is going to give strong consideration to retirement.  He has taken a beating, a broken back twice.  He plays for a cursed franchise in which two superstars quit "early."  His wife had a brain tumor removed.  He has his health and kids to think about.

Not.  Worth.  It.

cowboys ranked no. 1?  i don't know about that.  the team has some talent but it also has jerry jones and a coach needs to have some real gravitas to overcome the effect of jones.  as for the jets, the decided lack of talent is a good thing for an incoming coach.  the johnsons have been pretty patient as owners and so an incoming coach will have a few seasons to develop a winning program.

56 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

See, but this isn't the vote of confidence you think he is.  You're saying Sam is better than the options available to us.  Even if that's true that doesn't make him a franchise guy. 

And comparing him to the 2019 QB Class doesn't help either.  Haskins and Daniel Jones blow, and obviously we didn't have a shot at taking Kyler Murray.  

Maybe we're splitting hairs.  There's no absolute 100% certainty in anything and we also haven't discussed the definition of a "franchise QB."

The question I'm asking (and answering) is whether the Jets can succeed with their current QB?  In other words, is QB a position that the Jets have to upgrade in order to be a playoff team and possibly win a championship?  My answer is no.

If you ask me that question about the Jaguars, the answer is yes.  If you ask me about the Lions it's a yes in the context that Stafford is injured and not getting any younger.  They need an upgrade.

Quarterback was a need towards the end of the Sanchez era.  They drafted Geno.  When they had Fitzpatrick, McCown, etc. the question was the same every year for almost a decade....When and how will the Jets get their QB of the future?  They swung at Cousins.  Then they traded up.  That question is answered now.  We're no longer looking.  Who knows, maybe Darnold goes the way of Winston, Mariotta or Josh Rosen.....but I don't think so.  I think we have our guy.

Are you saying that if the Jets had a shot at Kyler Murray they should have taken him?

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Maybe we're splitting hairs.  There's no absolute 100% certainty in anything and we also haven't discussed the definition of a "franchise QB."

The question I'm asking (and answering) is whether the Jets can succeed with their current QB?  In other words, is QB a position that the Jets have to upgrade in order to be a playoff team and possibly win a championship?  My answer is no.

If you ask me that question about the Jaguars, the answer is yes.  If you ask me about the Lions it's a yes in the context that Stafford is injured and not getting any younger.  They need an upgrade.

Quarterback was a need towards the end of the Sanchez era.  They drafted Geno.  When they had Fitzpatrick, McCown, etc. the question was the same every year for almost a decade....When and how will the Jets get their QB of the future?  They swung at Cousins.  Then they traded up.  That question is answered now.  We're no longer looking.  Who knows, maybe Darnold goes the way of Winston, Mariotta or Josh Rosen.....but I don't think so.  I think we have our guy.

Are you saying that if the Jets had a shot at Kyler Murray they should have taken him?

Good post.

I agree with most, but let’s not forget Foles has a ring.

As for Murray? No, not last year, or after this one. I think he’s easily as good as Darnold, but we invested way too much to get him. It would be foolish not to give him three years.

I agree with @Jetsfan80 though. After next year is when the Jets will have to decide whether to fish or cut bait with Sam.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Good post.

I agree with most, but let’s not forget Foles has a ring. Murray? No, not last year, or after this one.

I agree with @Jetsfan80 though. After next year is when the Jets will have to whether to fish or cut bait with Sam.

Let's say Sam doesn't look any better or worse than he has so far into next year (his Season 3), the Jets still have him under contract for Year 4 and then can elect the 5th year option and I think they would do so.  It's really going into that 5th year whether they try to extend him or replace him.  Same exact thing with the Buccaneers and Winston.  He has been good at times, horrible at times and occasionally great but continues to be an enigma....Tampa went with the 5th year option.  You almost have to unless the QB is a complete bust.  The Sam Darnold decision is a Spring/Summer 2022 decision for the Jets as he heads into that 5th year IMO.

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Let's say Sam doesn't look any better or worse than he has so far into next year (his Season 3), the Jets still have him under contract for Year 4 and then can elect the 5th year option and I think they would do so.  It's really going into that 5th year whether they try to extend him or replace him.  Same exact thing with the Buccaneers and Winston.  He has been good at times, horrible at times and occasionally great but continues to be an enigma....Tampa went with the 5th year option.  You almost have to unless the QB is a complete bust.  The Sam Darnold decision is a Spring/Summer 2022 decision for the Jets as he heads into that 5th year IMO.

Yes, I agree they probably would.

By the same token, if we go along with your premise, Darnold not “looking better or worse” wouldn’t be a good thing. By the end of year three you’d expect “better” not status quo. 

If not you’re entering Trubisky territory, where even if you want to keep him, you’ve begun thinking he isn’t what you had hoped to get. A Winston, Trubisky situation is the thing you’re trying to avoid. The QB who’s going to get you to the middle, but unlikely to the top.

Then you’re either stuck with them, or have to give up a bunch of picks to try again. That’s why I think after a year 3, when we probably will be picking high in the draft again, is the best time to decide. 

Ah well, let’s hope things work out for the best, and it never comes to that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

I think Stafford is going to give strong consideration to retirement.  He has taken a beating, a broken back twice.  He plays for a cursed franchise in which two superstars quit "early."  His wife had a brain tumor removed.  He has his health and kids to think about.

Not.  Worth.  It.

Fair points. And not like he's the new kid on the block with promise of going to a  Superbowl, team hasn't looked like it, He's made money and at a crossroads I'd say as whether to do another 4-5 seasons or call it a career.