Jets Jamal Adams is only NY player headed to Pro Bowl

joewilly12

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the problem with adams is that he is very average in coverage.  when he's not blitzing his impact is average.  elite safeties have very good cover skills and are often longer, better athletes.  adams seems like a maxed out ath whose impact will be negated over time.

I disagree with you a little bit.. I think he's better than average in coverage, but not in the traditional FS sense. He's a pure SS that can do more than a traditional just in the box SS.  He offers better than average deep coverage, but lacks that Elite Range that would make him by far the best player at his position in the league and an all time great.  I do think though just skill set wise he offers a ton of versatility to a defensive coordinator.  The things he's able to do in the run game, passrush, and short to intermediate coverage is an asset.  

Again I understand where people are coming from, but from a coaching perspective and game planning perspective i appreciate his value to the team quite a bit. 

53 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So Jamal gets ALL of the credit for being a dominant pro bowler but none of the blame for a stinko team?

His position does not move the needle.  Know what does?

A New Orleans Saints 2017 draft.

Marshon Lattimore - #1 CB

Ryan Ramcyzk - Solid olineman

Alvin Kamara - RB weapon

They then used mid to lower picks to get dlinem ilb and safeties that are contributing.

That moves the needle.

He gets the credit he rightfully deserves. 

Draft picks aren't sure things to move any needle, how's Quennin Williams working out so far? 

51 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Know why he is such a hybrid?  Because we have no pass rushers at all.

Know why Hewitt is constantly covering WRs and slot guys and getting burned?  Because we are selling out with a hybrid.

The real good defenses in this league have multiple pass rushers and do not blitz their safey all the time.

He's a hybrid because thats where his DC lines up to be. 

He plays the scheme the DC calls. 

Maybe if the NY Jets had an edge rusher our entire secondary would drastically improve and we wouldn't be having this discussion. 

2 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I disagree with you a little bit.. I think he's better than average in coverage, but not in the traditional FS sense. He's a pure SS that can do more than a traditional just in the box SS.  He offers better than average deep coverage, but lacks that Elite Range that would make him by far the best player at his position in the league and an all time great.  I do think though just skill set wise he offers a ton of versatility to a defensive coordinator.  The things he's able to do in the run game, passrush, and short to intermediate coverage is an asset.  

Again I understand where people are coming from, but from a coaching perspective and game planning perspective i appreciate his value to the team quite a bit. 

he's what jabril peppers was at michigan, a safety playing linebacker b/c he can't cover b/c he doesn't have the speed to stay with wrs.  the question with adams is, are you going to blitz him for 10 years, b/c teams are going to exploit his weaknesses.  do you pay adams elite defensive money when your offense needs major upgrades?  

the 10,000 foot view here is, do you pay adams or OL/WR?  what do you want to be the strength of your team?  if you want to build around darnold, you're not paying elite money to a box safety who is not an asset in coverage.  at some point this franchise's philosphy needs to shift from defense to offense, or else darnold will leave in FA and the team will once again be searching for a franchise qb.  now is the time to make the declaration that the jets are going all in on their qb and trying to be top 10 offense.  it's amazing how good defenses look when you're playing with a lead.

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

I keep reading this and thinking to myself, where was the net positive in this exchange? 

An 8 sack season, then a trade that eventually landed us Sam Darnold.  We should have gotten more in a trade for Richardson by trading him at peak value, but that wasn't the fault of Richardson.  

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

he's what jabril peppers was at michigan, a safety playing linebacker b/c he can't cover b/c he doesn't have the speed to stay with wrs.  the question with adams is, are you going to blitz him for 10 years, b/c teams are going to exploit his weaknesses.  do you pay adams elite defensive money when your offense needs major upgrades?  

the 10,000 foot view here is, do you pay adams or OL/WR?  what do you want to be the strength of your team?  if you want to build around darnold, you're not paying elite money to a box safety who is not an asset in coverage.  at some point this franchise's philosphy needs to shift from defense to offense, or else darnold will leave in FA and the team will once again be searching for a franchise qb.  now is the time to make the declaration that the jets are going all in on their qb and trying to be top 10 offense.  it's amazing how good defenses look when you're playing with a lead.

all fair points, i do think you can do both however.  I dont think adams is as bad in coverage as people make him out to be though.  He's not a 0 in coverage, and he's not ONLY a box safety.  Again being able to play him deep in a quarters coverage in the box, or as a robber allows a lot of flexibility with personell packages.  Plus his ability to play agaisnt the run and rush the passer its a nice combination that I think will get better with time.  I think he's a better cover guy now than he was before and I can see him continuing to get better. 

I'd ideally like to keep the kid, but I wont be heart broken if he's traded.  I again just see the value in what you can do with a player like that. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Jamal Adams isn't just a Safety he's a hybrid defensive players for the NY Jets you do not trade your best defensive player regardless of the situation, you build a winning successful team around players like him. 

Be careful what you wish for we may trade him and draft yet another first round bust, need I say more only the faces change. 

Hybrid is a nice way of saying he doesn't have the athleticism to play the position he plays but is too small to play the position he should. Very Jetsy to have the highest paid Tweener in the league. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

all fair points, i do think you can do both however.  I dont think adams is as bad in coverage as people make him out to be though.  He's not a 0 in coverage, and he's not ONLY a box safety.  Again being able to play him deep in a quarters coverage in the box, or as a robber allows a lot of flexibility with personell packages.  Plus his ability to play agaisnt the run and rush the passer its a nice combination that I think will get better with time.  I think he's a better cover guy now than he was before and I can see him continuing to get better. 

I'd ideally like to keep the kid, but I wont be heart broken if he's traded.  I again just see the value in what you can do with a player like that. 

yes, ideally you keep him.  and the jets may wind up paying him.  but for a franchise that has historically overdrafted and overpaid defense, and finally having a qb worth developing and building around, here you have the first huge decision for the new gm.  adams will want a new contract this offseason, and he's going to use social media and traditional media to put pressure to get it done. 

we all know the jets need offense, and in particular, LT and wr.  this draft seems to have both top tier first round prospects.  if the jets keep adams they only get to address one of these needs in the first round, and it's probably LT.  so is it worth trading adams for a wr you draft in the middle or late first round, but save on salary cap by not paying adams mega bucks? 

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Hybrid is a nice way of saying he doesn't have the athleticism to play the position he plays but is too small to play the position he should. Very Jetsy to have the highest paid Tweener in the league. 

better football player than athlete, which is why he's exposed in coverage.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He’s either getting re-signed or traded, buddy. We won this one. No WAY they execute Jamal Adams like the HATERS want !! !! !

Jets are either going to beat the Steelers or lose to them Sunday...cant wait to see the look on the SOJF faces when they see I was right all along ??

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Hybrid is his label because it's how the coaching staff decided to use him to compensate for the other weaknesses on the D namely an edge rusher. 

Jamal Adams is no missionary soldier of fortune to where he can play and do whatever he wants on the field.

Blame the organization not the player for how this all turned out for Jamal Adams here. 

He's still the best defensive player on the team by far. 

29 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

yes, ideally you keep him.  and the jets may wind up paying him.  but for a franchise that has historically overdrafted and overpaid defense, and finally having a qb worth developing and building around, here you have the first huge decision for the new gm.  adams will want a new contract this offseason, and he's going to use social media and traditional media to put pressure to get it done. 

we all know the jets need offense, and in particular, LT and wr.  this draft seems to have both top tier first round prospects.  if the jets keep adams they only get to address one of these needs in the first round, and it's probably LT.  so is it worth trading adams for a wr you draft in the middle or late first round, but save on salary cap by not paying adams mega bucks? 

Historically yes, i agree, it is time to make offense the priority in the organization as we now have Darnold and he needs the tools around him to be successful, that I agree on. 

I'm not always in favor of taking 1 player and trading him to fill other holes.  BUT everyone has a price, if the deal for adams is a no brainer then yes, you move him and we're probably better overall for it.  If you sign him then i think other players are moved to get the picks we need to help rebuild.  However the picks we get for these other players probably wont be as numerous or lofty as Adams. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Hybrid is his label because it's how the coaching staff decided to use him to compensate for the other weaknesses on the D namely an edge rusher. 

Jamal Adams is no missionary soldier of fortune to where he can play and do whatever he wants on the field.

Blame the organization not the player for how this all turned out for Jamal Adams here. 

He's still the best defensive player on the team by far. 

No. He's a tackler not a cover guy. All 11 guys tackle.  He literally creates an issue on defense because hes playing in the box like a linebacker and then one of the linebackers have to cover. He's the best tackler on the team that can;t cover shit. Hoooray!!!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

No. He's a tackler not a cover guy. All 11 guys tackle.  He literally creates an issue on defense because hes playing in the box like a linebacker and then one of the linebackers have to cover. He's the best tackler ion the team that can;t cover sh*t. Hoooray!!!

adams would be perfect if the jets had revis in his prime b/c that would eliminate one wr from burning them and it makes it easier to scheme in the secondary.  i do think douglas will look to trade adams, and dallas is probably still a target.  also think the raiders may be, they have multiple 1sts and are moving, adams is a guy you can market b/c he will self promote in vegas very well.   

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

adams would be perfect if the jets had revis in his prime b/c that would eliminate one wr from burning them and it makes it easier to scheme in the secondary.  i do think douglas will look to trade adams, and dallas is probably still a target.  also think the raiders may be, they have multiple 1sts and are moving, adams is a guy you can market b/c he will self promote in vegas very well.   

Well said and I agree. 

13 hours ago, Pac said:

You're not the only one..  most of us are exhausted from trying to tell the same 11 people they have no idea what they're talking about.

He's either getting re-signed or traded for an absolute haul...  we won this argument months ago.  Let them have their circle jerks now and when the extension thread pops up it's time to pounce.

The Jamal Adams extension with the Jets, as he'll demand, will be greater than Landon Collins got.  Landon Collins is the highest paid strong safety in the NFL by a meaningful margin and he plays for the 3-11 Redskins.

In beating Collin's contract, it will ultimately make him the highest paid safety in the league, at around 15M per.

You are beating your chest about this as if you think it's a good thing.

So, to be clear, you think that it is a good thing to have a 15M strong safety, and that's something that will move the Jets towards a championship?  And, if it is a good thing, why has Jamal Adams presence in 3 seasons, not done that?  Factually speaking, the Jets have not won more games, nor improved their overall defense since Jamal Adams was drafted.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

This should shut the guys up that continuously bash this kid ... But it wont ... Prepare for ... The prowl bowl is a popularity contest ... You dont pay a safety comments ... Incoming.

This guy's is our only beast .. sign him for the next 20 years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The last team to pay big money for a SS is the Washington Redskins.  How is that working out for them?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Rampant self promotion helps you make the pro bowl.  The more you jump around and flail your arms and the more you are all over social media the bigger national rep you get.

I threw out the classic example earlier this year from the Dallas game.  Quinnen Williams makes the big play and Adams comes in and cleans up but then runs down the filed flailing his arms.  The commentators heap praise on Adams for making the play.

There are also the negative aspect to how we use the player.  How many times have we seen a guy like Hewitt trying to cover some Wr or slot guy down the filed thus year?  Know why?  Our safety is going forward on almost every play.

An example of negative aspect was the washington game where adams got huge press for making some big plays.  No one talked about him getting burnt for a 67 year pass that was called back due to a penalty or him  being involved in a couple of washington big plays.

- The guy makes plays at the los scrimmage or the other teams backfield.

- The guy is a liability on some plays because of his style.

- The guy has a bit of an attitude which is imo only going to get worse when the $$$ become a factor within a year or so.

- He is at his peak value right now, you either move him and address a couple of important tholes on the team or you suffer through a hold out with all sorts of drama before paying him a gazillion dollars only to have buyers regret a year or so down the road. 

This is the flaw in your argument as you pick plays and totally ignore the game changing positive plays you say he should get traded but is worth a 1st aka he’s really really good. So is he good or bad? You just have a personal issue with him. Let’s get real and you have zero basis for that. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

This is the flaw in your argument as you pick plays and totally ignore the game changing positive plays you say he should get traded but is worth a 1st aka he’s really really good. So is he good or bad? You just have a personal issue with him. Let’s get real and you have zero basis for that. 

A player's value is what the max amount of trade compensation another team wants to pay.  Just because Jerry Jones may regard Jamal as being worth a late 1st plus a mid-rounder doesn't mean he's actually worth that to the Jets. 

An elite interior O-Lineman is far more valuable to the Jets than a Box Safety.  Meanwhile, no one is saying that Jamal is a bad player.  Only that his value is limited.  That's the nuance that Jamal fans just refuse to understand.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Market value for the top Safety will be $14M+ per season.  Quite a lot of coin for a guy that hasn't made a significant impact on the W-L column over 3 seasons, wouldn't you say?

Totally agree

I would say has some impact,although limited.... I would also say his impact will grow exponentially if the team improves....how about some cornerbacks behind him

What if you traded Adams, drafted a really good OL with the first rounder you got for him, then gave the money he’d get to, like,  Yannick Ngakoue. Would you rather have:

Jamal Adams, after a protracted holdout, at $16 mil per

—or—

Tyler Biadasz and Yannick Ngakoue on the roster next year?

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, sciond said:

Totally agree

I would say has some impact,although limited.... I would also say his impact will grow exponentially if the team improves....how about some cornerbacks behind him

I'd love to bring in some corners.  Problem is we also need OL, WR, and EDGE. 

If Jamal is only really good if we have corners and a pass rush, he really isn't the guy you want to build your whole defense around.  And that's exactly what you'd be doing the moment you decide NOT to trade him then pay him $15M a year.  

Just now, joewilly12 said:

The NY Jets are a TEAM its not player vs team when we play an opponent. 

Im not sure you understand the game of football. 

The team is also 1-4 in those first five games.  But Jamal Adams' record against the Dolphins is currently 1-4.

The point, which, not unsurprisingly, you don't get, is that Jamal Adams presence hasn't made the team good enough to beat the Miami Dolphins, and the team can beat the Miami Dolphins without him.  Therefore, you should think twice (if not several times) before making Jamal Adams the highest paid safety in the NFL, when that player isn't enough to elevate the team above this incredibly low bar.

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, TeddEY said:

The team is also 1-4 in those first five games.  But Jamal Adams' record against the Dolphins is currently 1-4.

The point, which, not unsurprisingly, you don't get, is that Jamal Adams presence hasn't made the team good enough to beat the Miami Dolphins, and the team can beat the Miami Dolphins without him.  Therefore, you should think twice (if not several times) before making Jamal Adams the highest paid safety in the NFL, when that player isn't enough to elevate the team above this incredibly low bar.

The fact that you are comparing and using anything involving the Miami Dolphins says it all. 

You know for a fact that we are going to make Jamal Adams the highest paid in the NFL.