Iowa / USC Tonight

KRL

Pittman seems like a very intriguing prospect. I get that he doesn't have elite speed and we have seen that WRs who can't separate really struggle (Laquan Treadwell) but Pittman always seems like he makes big catches, is tall and a good blocker and just seems like a guy who will stick in the pros.

If he has a 3rd round grade, Id love to see us take him with one of our picks.  Anyone know more about him?

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Pittman seems like a very intriguing prospect. I get that he doesn't have elite speed and we have seen that WRs who can't separate really struggle (Laquan Treadwell) but Pittman always seems like he makes big catches, is tall and a good blocker and just seems like a guy who will stick in the pros.

If he has a 3rd round grade, Id love to see us take him with one of our picks.  Anyone know more about him?

I’m a fan of Pittman because I think he can play a nice role in the Jets WR group.  He fills the need of the bigger WR who can play in traffic and congested spaces as well as be a nice red zone target, something this team desperately needs.  He is not going to be the alpha X that anchors a WR group but can be a productive pro IMO.  I kinda like him in the 4th round providing the Jets draft a potential X early in the draft.   He’ll be at the Senior Bowl so we should be able to get a good look at him and see just how much or little separation he gets.  

• Upvote 1

From an Iowa perspective, Wirfs and Epenesa are the two crown jewels.

Both are likely top 20(I could easily see either going top 10).  Some interesting scuttle around Iowa is that Epenesa is not a sure thing to declare.  I still think he does, but we will see.  

Another underclassmen at Iowa that is getting feedback from the NFL is Safety Geno Stone.  He is a very good college player.  Good in both phases.  Stone is not extremely athletic and that will limit his potential draft position.  I'd imagine somewhere in round 3-5 is where he'd land.  I think he probably comes back, but ultimately some guys just want to be done with college.

Conversely LT Alaric Jackson did not ask for input.  He's a future pro, and if he declared I'd imagine still would go in the top 3 rounds.  But with a loaded tackle class and an injury that cost him a big chunk of this season, I think he decided another season was best.

The only other potential draftable Hawkeyes this year are CB Michael Ojuemudia and QB Nate Stanley.  Ojuemudia is a tall lanky corner with a nose for the ball and solid in run support.  Not a huge athlete and Iowa's nearly all zone scheme will raise questions.  I imagine he still has a very good shot at being drafted in the late rounds.

I am not a huge fan of Stanley.  He's a huge dude with an absolute cannon of an arm.  He doesn't turn the ball over a lot, but his accuracy and processing speed/pocket presence leave a lot to be desired.  He's one of those guys when he's locked in that looks like a 2nd round project.  I'd say he's more like a 5th rounder.

Iowa has other future pros(or potentially at least) in upcoming classes in DE Chauncey Gholston, C Tyler Linderbaum, WRs Imir Smith-Marsette and Brandon Smith, RB Tyler Goodson(True Frosh RB) and CB Matt Hankins.

Jersey numbers for all players mention below.  If anyone wants deeper thoughts on Wirfs or Epenesa, I'd be happy to give them.

Wirfs 77, Epenesa 94, Stone 9, Jackson 77, Stanley 4, Ojuemudia 11, Gholston 57, Linderbaum 65, Hankins 8, Goodson 15, Smith 12, Smith-Marsette 6.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Both are likely top 20(I could easily see either going top 10).  Some interesting scuttle around Iowa is that Epenesa is not a sure thing to declare.  I still think he does, but we will see.  

Another underclassmen at Iowa that is getting feedback from the NFL is Safety Geno Stone.  He is a very good college player.  Good in both phases.  Stone is not extremely athletic and that will limit his potential draft position.  I'd imagine somewhere in round 3-5 is where he'd land.  I think he probably comes back, but ultimately some guys just want to be done with college.

Conversely LT Alaric Jackson did not ask for input.  He's a future pro, and if he declared I'd imagine still would go in the top 3 rounds.  But with a loaded tackle class and an injury that cost him a big chunk of this season, I think he decided another season was best.

The only other potential draftable Hawkeyes this year are CB Michael Ojuemudia and QB Nate Stanley.  Ojuemudia is a tall lanky corner with a nose for the ball and solid in run support.  Not a huge athlete and Iowa's nearly all zone scheme will raise questions.  I imagine he still has a very good shot at being drafted in the late rounds.

I am not a huge fan of Stanley.  He's a huge dude with an absolute cannon of an arm.  He doesn't turn the ball over a lot, but his accuracy and processing speed/pocket presence leave a lot to be desired.  He's one of those guys when he's locked in that looks like a 2nd round project.  I'd say he's more like a 5th rounder.

Iowa has other future pros(or potentially at least) in upcoming classes in DE Chauncey Gholston, C Tyler Linderbaum, WRs Imir Smith-Marsette and Brandon Smith, RB Tyler Goodson(True Frosh RB) and CB Matt Hankins.

Jersey numbers if for all players mention below.  If anyone wants deeper thoughts on Wirfs or Epenesa, I'd be happy to give them.

Wirfs 77, Epenesa 94, Stone 9, Jackson 77, Stanley 4, Ojuemudia 11, Gholston 57, Linderbaum 65, Hankins 8, Goodson 15, Smith 12, Smith-Marsette 6.

I'd like some deeper thoughts on Wirfs and Epenesa :)

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Jersey numbers if for all players mention below.  If anyone wants deeper thoughts on Wirfs or Epenesa, I'd be happy to give them.

Exactly what I was looking for!!!

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

I'd like some deeper thoughts on Wirfs and Epenesa :)

I'll start with Epenesa as I've talked some about Wirfs before. 

As pure football players, I think Epenesa is the better of the two.  I think Epenesa is the best defensive player at Iowa under Ferentz, which is saying something because they have had some studs.  His is long but also 280 and strong as a bull.  His hands are the best I've seen at Iowa.  He uses power and technique to win, but he is athletic enough to win with speed too.  He is not your super "bendy" Chase Young or Von Miller type.  You won't see him bend around too many tackles.  His game reminds me almost exactly of JJ Watt.  He's just an overall physical freak, but with incredible technique for such a young guy.  I will be very interested what he tests like at the combine, if he indeed comes out.  If he surprises in the "twitch" areas, which Iowa players often do, he could easily be a top 5 pick.

As far as Wirfs, he's an all around solid player.  In the NFL, I could see him playing any OL position other than center.  His strength is incredible (functional strength too, not just bench press nonsense).  I think his strength actually overshadows how athletic he is.  I am not sure he's got the feet of say D'Brick or some of the elite athletic type LTs, but he can move.  He will come in very polished technique wise.  He is an absolute Mauler in the run game, but is no slouch in pass pro either.  I think he's probably very similar to Brandon Scherff, except maybe slightly longer arms and lighter on his feet.  

I'm not exactly sure what I'd say Wirfs main concern is.  He's pretty safe in my opinion.  Sometimes he struggled with pure speed rushers, and at times wasn't as consistent as I would expect, but some of that might have been due to the RG next to him being awful.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'll start with Epenesa as I've talked some about Wirfs before. 

As pure football players, I think Epenesa is the better of the two.  I think Epenesa is the best defensive player at Iowa under Ferentz, which is saying something because they have had some studs.  His is long but also 280 and strong as a bull.  His hands are the best I've seen at Iowa.  He uses power and technique to win, but he is athletic enough to win with speed too.  He is not your super "bendy" Chase Young or Von Miller type.  You won't see him bend around too many tackles.  His game reminds me almost exactly of JJ Watt.  He's just an overall physical freak, but with incredible technique for such a young guy.  I will be very interested what he tests like at the combine, if he indeed comes out.  If he surprises in the "twitch" areas, which Iowa players often do, he could easily be a top 5 pick.

As far as Wirfs, he's an all around solid player.  In the NFL, I could see him playing any OL position other than center.  His strength is incredible (functional strength too, not just bench press nonsense).  I think his strength actually overshadows how athletic he is.  I am not sure he's got the feet of say D'Brick or some of the elite athletic type LTs, but he can move.  He will come in very polished technique wise.  He is an absolute Mauler in the run game, but is no slouch in pass pro either.  I think he's probably very similar to Brandon Scherff, except maybe slightly longer arms and lighter on his feet.  

I'm not exactly sure what I'd say Wirfs main concern is.  He's pretty safe in my opinion.  Sometimes he struggled with pure speed rushers, and at times wasn't as consistent as I would expect, but some of that might have been due to the RG next to him being awful.

Great Info, thanks.  I dont see Epenesa for the Jets simply because I think they can address edge/DE in FA and use the draft for OL as it happens to be deep at the position which is unusual.  

Do you see Wirfs being able to transition to the left side easily?  Its not that LT is that much more valuable then RT (I think those positions are closer now then they used to be) but moreso which role will he fill on the Jets.

5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m a fan of Pittman because I think he can play a nice role in the Jets WR group.  He fills the need of the bigger WR who can play in traffic and congested spaces as well as be a nice red zone target, something this team desperately needs.  He is not going to be the alpha X that anchors a WR group but can be a productive pro IMO.  I kinda like him in the 4th round providing the Jets draft a potential X early in the draft.   He’ll be at the Senior Bowl so we should be able to get a good look at him and see just how much or little separation he gets.  

That analysis makes sense.  Mcshay was on espn earlier discussing this game and said he has Pittman as the 5th WR in this draft due to his size, hands and work ethic.  

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

That analysis makes sense.  Mcshay was on espn earlier discussing this game and said he has Pittman as the 5th WR in this draft due to his size, hands and work ethic.  

That’s surprising to see McShay have Pittman that high, especially in this WR class.  If he tests well I could see some teams push him up their boards.  Senior Bowl will interesting. 

6 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Great Info, thanks.  I dont see Epenesa for the Jets simply because I think they can address edge/DE in FA and use the draft for OL as it happens to be deep at the position which is unusual.  

Do you see Wirfs being able to transition to the left side easily?  Its not that LT is that much more valuable then RT (I think those positions are closer now then they used to be) but moreso which role will he fill on the Jets.

I think he could be a servicable NFL LT.  I don't think he could be a Pro Bowl/Elite LT.  He could be an elite RT or Guard.

He played LT for about 5 games this year and was good. 

I guess what it boils down too with him at LT, is would he be a good enough LT to warrant the top 15 pick it would take to get him? My guess is no.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think he could be a servicable NFL LT.  I don't think he could be a Pro Bowl/Elite LT.  He could be an elite RT or Guard.

He played LT for about 5 games this year and was good. 

I guess what it boils down too with him at LT, is would he be a good enough LT to warrant the top 15 pick it would take to get him? My guess is no.

While Id love to secure an elite LT, Beachem hasn't been bad, is only 30 and can likely be resigned for "low" money (2 years $18) and if Wirfs could be an elite RT, he could lock down that spot and improve the play of the line as a whole.  Maybe that is a better medium term move.

• Upvote 1

Interested to see Wirfs vs Christian Rector (possible late round DE) and Drake Jackson (247Sports Freshman All-American).  Should be able to easily handle both of them but they have very different skillsets to test Wirfs.  USC tends to rotate/switch their ends so Wirfs will probably have time to play against both.

USC jet here...

Michael Pittman has the pedigree...his father was a hard nosed RB in the NFL and he seems to have his father's  work ethic and toughness.  If he runs high 4.5 he won't  go past second round.  He dropped 2 catchable balls in my recollection.

Austin Jackson will be the most interesting prospect to watch..  I have been saying that he is equal or better than Tyron Smith coming out of USC.  Both came in as a freak of an Athlete.  Jackson was basketball, track standout at high school and only bad coaching let him down.  Coach Drevno, new OL coach has him playing better this year.  He will be blocking against Espenesa.  This will give some great match up to look at.

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

Little glimpse of Wirfs athletic ability there.  Fakes the outside zone away from him, ends up pulling on a reverse, leads the way to a walk in TD.

I like how he stuck his foot in the ground like a RB and changes directions on a dime.....then finished at the second level. Made it look easy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Newjetsfan said:

USC jet here...

Michael Pittman has the pedigree...his father is a hard nosed RB in the NFL and he seems to have his father's  work ethic and toughness.  If he runs high 4.5 he won't  go past second round.  He dropped 2 catchable balls in my recollection.

Austin Jackson will be the most interesting prospect to watch..  I have been saying that he is equal or better than Tyron Smith coming out of USC.  Both came in as a freak of an Athlete.  Jackson was basketball, track standout at high school and only bad coaching let him down.  Coach Drevno, new OL coach has him playing better this year.  He will be blocking against Espenesa.  This will give some great match up to look at.

Welcome back Helen.

• Haha 1

Some underclassmen defense to watch

21 - SS, Pola-Mao, troy polamalu's nephew

15 - FS, Hufanga, the next polamalu

1 - Gaeoteote, big strong fast..#1 lbacker out of highschool but over pursues hasn't  found his groove yet.  Injured half the season.  Should be moved to the edge imo.

78- Jay Tufele  good solid interior lineman

6 minutes ago, Newjetsfan said:

Not Helen of Troy...she is on the other board...but yeah...so far Jackson erases Espenesa on that drive.

I'm just starting to dig in on these players but first impression is Jackson looks on the small side and doesn't play very aggressive. Does seem to move well and able to get that hook block which is tough at any level. Just one series worth fwiw.

• Sympathy 1

USC offensive underclassmen to watch:

Tyler Vaughns - rsjr., makes spectacular catches and drops ordinary ones...good hands, smooth runner but not physical enough late round project or FA gem if he comes out this year.

Amon Ra St.Brown-So., the youngest and often said the most talented of St.Brown brothers...quite possibly the best slot wr when eligible.

Drake London- Fr., 6'6" 220lbs highly recruited basketball player.  Who was a top basketball prospect in the country also plays good football.  He is very physical and surprised alot of people thinking that he is  just a basketball player.