What kind/style of team is best for today's NFL? What do you want the NY Jets to be?

19 hours ago, shawn306 said:

I think what you saw from KC will eventually become legendary. No team in NFL history has come back from 24 down, 10 down and 10 down in the post season. What they did with that offense was better than the Rams Greatest Show of Turf, All the New England teams, Manning's Colts teams, Brees Saints teams, Rodgers Packers teams. None of them. That makes this group special in my eyes and not the norm.

You see I think (or at least what I read here) is you are either all in one way or all in the other way. I would rather have a balance, slightly more to the pass in building that offense and have a killer defense.

Overall I still think the Niners are the better team but when I think of the Chiefs offense I will think of them like the 2000 Ravens D. 

The Chiefs & specifically Patrick Mahomes are the flavor of the decade for the NFL with the demise of the Patriots & Tom Brady. 

If you ignore holding on the Oline it benefits an explosive offense like the Chiefs. There wasn't one offensive holding call in the entire game on either team but that is an obvious advantage to a thrower like Mahomes with weapons all over the field, especially in the 4th quarter in a very long game (the breaks are ridiculous). The DROTY Nick Bosa played an entire game like his hair was on fire & did not force one offensive holding call, which everyone who watches football knows is impossible, we saw a couple obvious calls, but the refs let them play. 

So when you ask this type of question, it has to be more defined. Do you want to be like the 49ers or Chiefs? Regular season when every other play has a flag thrown, 49ers balance. Super Bowl where the flags are tucked away & the Olines are allowed to hold up front with immunity? Chiefs. 

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

I think you’re misunderstanding. I am just saying that instead of building a strong defense, building a strong ground game, or focusing on the basics, it is far more important to have a gunslinging quarterback and acrobatic WR’s who can put up a lot of points in the fourth quarter.

That seems to be the differentiator between the elite teams and the non-elite teams in today’s NFL.  It’s not about blocking and tackling. It’s about putting up big points late in games.   

SAR I

Having a great QB is the most important factor in sustained success. It really comes down to winning lots of regular season games year in and year out . You do that and you make the playoffs, earn first round byes and host playoff games all of which make it far more likely you win the SB. As much as people want to point to Mahommes bad 55 minutes of play on Sunday to diminish his credit for the win, the reality is that without Mahommes they arent even in that game to begin with. 

I don't understand layering on this last 5 minutes angle, even if theres a scintilla of truth to it (which I dont get), it needlessly complicates a pretty basic concept. Get an elite QB and you win. Lets hope we've found ours.

19 hours ago, Jets723 said:

What killed the 49ers was going away from the run.  Yes you need to pass the ball but I still feel that if you have a really good defense and can run the ball you will wear the other team out.  For whatever reason Shanahan decided the abandon what worked and it cost him 

Hasn't that happened somewhere before with Shanahan? :-( 

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

I have a theory that all that matters are the last 5 minutes of an NFL game.  Keep it close (as most are) and if you have the horsepower at QB and WR you can win it late.  Like the Patriots and Chiefs in their Super Bowl runs. 

Salary cap mediocrity everywhere except QB, WR, T, and S.

SAR I

Lol, no trolling here. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

For the Jets....I don't think Darnold has the best deep ball accuracy, so I'd try to build a nice mid-range game for him. I'd even add a third capable TE, since he seems to connect with them really well. Or have a guy that was like Enunwa, just a healthy version. You can keep a guy like Robby, but I think Sam's damage comes from those 15-20 yard passes, so gimme clean route runners, someone who's quick in short spaces, etc. 

The defense...just need to add pieces all along the outside. Outside pass rushers and corners. You got Quinnen, Fatukasi, Mclendon, Philips. Then Mosley and Williamson/Hewitt down the middle. 

Darnold's deep ball accuracy aside, the Jets' only hope in the short term is that Sam Darnold is an elite QB ready to be unleashed. IMHO, the Jets, therefore, need to behave as if that's exactly what he is, and build around him quickly. Give him the OL, a new best WR on the team (and maybe two if they let Robby go), and run your offense thru the QB. Passing to set up the run and a ton of play-action and roll-outs to maximize Darnold's strengths should be the priority.

Great QB play/passing game will defeat these ground & pound/defense teams the vast majority of the time, IMHO. I think SF sorta screwed up with Garoppolo by not having him throw more in the playoffs -even if he obviously didn't have to- just to keep him well practiced. Phil Simms would talk about the difficulties a QB would face when the team leaned on the run for three quarters and then expected the QB to win the game in the fourth. Not every QB can suddenly get hot. It's a passing league, with rules clearly favoring the passing game. There will be another '85 Bears and/or 2000 Ravens, but that's the hard road to a championship.  

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Darnold's deep ball accuracy aside, the Jets' only hope in the short term is that Sam Darnold is an elite QB ready to be unleashed. IMHO, the Jets, therefore, need to behave as if that's exactly what he is, and build around him quickly. Give him the OL, a new best WR on the team (and maybe two if they let Robby go), and run your offense thru the QB. Passing to set up the run and a ton of play-action and roll-outs to maximize Darnold's strengths should be the priority.

Great QB play/passing game will defeat these ground & pound/defense teams the vast majority of the time, IMHO. I think SF sorta screwed up with Garoppolo by not having him throw more in the playoffs -even if he obviously didn't have to- just to keep him well practiced. Phil Simms would talk about the difficulties a QB would face when the team leaned on the run for three quarters and then expected the QB to win the game in the fourth. Not every QB can suddenly get hot. It's a passing league, with rules clearly favoring the passing game. There will be another '85 Bears and/or 2000 Ravens, but that's the hard road to a championship.  

Great post, its exactly this.

In the regular season, but far more acutely in the playoffs, it's the QB moving the ball to great receivers and that's what wins games.  Sometimes you just need to score a lot of points, quickly.  G&P and Dominant D's are a thing of the past.  The game favors the elite point-generating O's so the Jets must have one of those.

SAR I