Dan Schmelzer (Fansided) 7 Round Mock Draft for Jets!

jetstream23

Interesting as I haven't focused much on Robert Hunt at OG or those late round CBs, but I like the positions he addresses....OLine 2X, WR 2X is the right formula for this Draft.  Sneaking in a quality Edge prospect and hitting CB twice rounds out a good Draft.

After a disappointing 7-9 season, many expected the New York Jets to fire head coach Adam Gase. However, the Jets are continuing to move forward with Gase in charge and will try to get their franchise on track.

Sam Darnold has had an up-and-down first two years of his career, but he is still an extremely talented and promising player who could lead this team to success. When it comes down to it, nothing is more important for this team than getting Darnold on track to becoming a successful franchise quarterback. They should use the 2020 NFL Draft as an opportunity to build a strong and stable roster around Darnold.

In this seven-round 2020 NFL mock draft, the New York Jets are going to make helping Darnold a priority. With their first selection, the Jets find Darnold a long-term protector.

860170169_ScreenShot2020-02-23at11_02_15PM.png.8d1b40c6ea056b13d3d8c68479919b38.png

1561443267_ScreenShot2020-02-23at11_02_25PM.png.dac803abea045875a572dc04868710d3.png

1244468284_ScreenShot2020-02-23at11_02_35PM.png.7bfe3fa9126345dce5388d631e21222f.png

1801586496_ScreenShot2020-02-23at11_02_47PM.png.c44ca102b06cb424aa4c84f143324456.png

1287434781_ScreenShot2020-02-23at11_02_57PM.png.dbd403a27e563a03bcb2d1fb89105f3c.png

1809393073_ScreenShot2020-02-23at11_03_08PM.png.143f5276aabbc76f245610ab1a991d63.png

323704295_ScreenShot2020-02-23at11_03_18PM.png.00cf0ca27bfb036bc4c2d0008026949c.png

1084767380_ScreenShot2020-02-23at11_03_28PM.png.9d736499378421118e0224832a7ac44e.png

Full article here.... https://nflmocks.com/2020/02/23/new-york-jets-7-round-mock/

• Upvote 1

I just don't see how Andrew Thomas makes it to #11. The guy is probably going to be a stalwart for the Giants for 10 years, (They have a young good QB & a fantastic RB). He's considered top 2 at his position, AT A POSITION that #1 is one of the most expensive & #2 guys don't become available until they're in their mid 30s. 

I'm sorry. Don't want to be a downer commenting on all of these mock drafts having this guy reach us at 11 but I just don't see it happening. There probably won't be any WRs picked in the top 10, no Guards, no RBs, probably one CB, one Edge Rusher, and how many QBs? Burrow at #1, Tua at ? So you have Burrow, Young, Okudah as definites. So these prognosticators are betting on 7 picks without the concensus #1 or #2 LT not being chosen? I'd be ecstatic but I think Joe Douglas will be hedging his bet by figuring out a short term answer at LT before the draft. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Not familiar with Robert Hunt.  Based on the quick reading I did, sounds like a mauler but needs some development.  Not sure how I feel about it depending on the names they could have passed on in this scenario but all in all, that's a nice draft I could be very happy with for the Jets. 

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

I just don't see how Andrew Thomas makes it to #11. The guy is probably going to be a stalwart for the Giants for 10 years, (They have a young good QB & a fantastic RB). He's considered top 2 at his position, AT A POSITION that #1 is one of the most expensive & #2 guys don't become available until they're in their mid 30s. 

I'm sorry. Don't want to be a downer commenting on all of these mock drafts having this guy reach us at 11 but I just don't see it happening. There probably won't be any WRs picked in the top 10, no Guards, no RBs, probably one CB, one Edge Rusher, and how many QBs? Burrow at #1, Tua at ? So you have Burrow, Young, Okudah as definites. So these prognosticators are betting on 7 picks without the concensus #1 or #2 LT not being chosen? I'd be ecstatic but I think Joe Douglas will be hedging his bet by figuring out a short term answer at LT before the draft. 

The drafting community has Andrew Thomas as the 4th OT pretty consistently now. It doesn’t make sense but that’s what the draftniks are saying. Plus Wirfs, Wills, Becton and Jones are also generally considered top 20 type players so there will be a tackle available.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

The drafting community has Andrew Thomas as the 4th OT pretty consistently now. It doesn’t make sense but that’s what the draftniks are saying. Plus Wirfs, Wills, Becton and Jones are also generally considered top 20 type players so there will be a tackle available.

You guys are pretty much both right. Thomas will most likely not be there at 11. However, I also doubt he will be the first OT off the board. His stock has fallen considerably while other OTs has risen their stock and unless he blows people away at the combine, thats probably not going to change. The Giants have Nate Solder under contract. Say what you will about how 'good' he is. He is their big money LT. I would not be at all surprised if they drafted Wills (the top OT prospect right now) over Thomas. 

A far as what NON OTs MIGHT go in the top TEN: Burrow, Young, Okudah, Tua, Herbert, Brown, Simmons, and possibly one of the WRs. So thats 7 or 8 guys. POSSIBLY, who knows. So yeah, if only 6 of these guys go in the top 10 and the rest are OTs, we probably miss out on the top 4 (Wills, Wirfs, Becton, Thomas) BUT that leaves Jeudy or Lamb, which is a nice consolation prize. Odds are Thomas is gone but Becton or Wirfs will be there, as will one of Lamb or Jeudy. It will be a hard decision for JD.   

• Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, PepPep said:

You guys are pretty much both right. Thomas will most likely not be there at 11. However, I also doubt he will be the first OT off the board. His stock has fallen considerably while other OTs has risen their stock and unless he blows people away at the combine, thats probably not going to change. The Giants have Nate Solder under contract. Say what you will about how 'good' he is. He is their big money LT. I would not be at all surprised if they drafted Wills (the top OT prospect right now) over Thomas. 

A far as what NON OTs MIGHT go in the top TEN: Burrow, Young, Okudah, Tua, Herbert, Brown, Simmons, and possibly one of the WRs. So thats 7 or 8 guys. POSSIBLY, who knows. So yeah, if only 6 of these guys go in the top 10 and the rest are OTs, we probably miss out on the top 4 (Wills, Wirfs, Becton, Thomas) BUT that leaves Jeudy or Lamb, which is a nice consolation prize. Odds are Thomas is gone but Becton or Wirfs will be there, as will one of Lamb or Jeudy. It will be a hard decision for JD.   

It's crazy how 3 weeks ago Thomas was OT1 and nobody was really talking about Wills/Becton and now they're both heavily mocked ahead of Thomas. Wonder what changed

17 minutes ago, SR24 said:

It's crazy how 3 weeks ago Thomas was OT1 and nobody was really talking about Wills/Becton and now they're both heavily mocked ahead of Thomas. Wonder what changed

Really nothing.  We see this all the time.  There are so many draft sites and people running mocks that they need to come up with different stuff so you don’t have the same mock time after time.  You do have several really good OT prospects that warrant this discussion though.  Will come down to who is a better fit for a given offense and how that team values the kid.  

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Really nothing.  We see this all the time.  There are so many draft sites and people running mocks that they need to come up with different stuff so you don’t have the same mock time after time.  You do have several really good OT prospects that warrant this discussion though.  Will come down to who is a better fit for a given offense and how that team values the kid.  

I'll be pumped if we land Thomas/Wills/Wirfs/Becton lol hopefully some qbs rise up after the combine and push them down to us

1 hour ago, section314 said:

If a guy that is universally rated much higher than that somehow falls that far, luck may not be the right word.

He’s not though. There’s no such thing as a “universally” rated player, every big board varies; it’s how Sam fell to #3. 

I can see a scenario where an OT doesn’t come off the board until our pick, and a scenario where the top-4 are gone before #11.  It will be an exciting draft, and in my gut, one we walk away from with Andrew Thomas.