Tony Pauline on Mims

On 4/29/2020 at 7:09 PM, JetFan20 said:

Rich Cimini said the scout he talked thinks Mims is slower than he timed on field and doesn’t have the requisite YAC skills

This plus he only seems to get separation by well timed push offs.  I heard it said elsewhere that he will have to learn to be more stealthy about it in the NFL.  I hope I'm wrong and this guy becomes our go to WR but I am somewhat worried.  After all this might be the reason he fell.

Time will tell and for now I remain optimistic.  Go Jets!   

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Not if you understand what the teams needs are and what they are thinking. Is there a risk? yes. But this team has been risk averse for quite sometime it's about time they took a calculated risk and it did pay off in spades.

This has nothing to do with the fact that JD was perfectly willing to let Mims go elsewhere. Fact. He didn't see it as a risk at all.  He had a group of similarly ranked players from a variety of positions, including Mims, that he was pretty darned sure at least one of them would be there.  We will never know if Mims was #1 on that list.  Nor will we know the names of the others on the list and which of them were taken between 48 and 59.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 4/29/2020 at 7:32 PM, JTJet said:

It HAS to be brought up for the sake of debate. 

If Mims is as good as suggested, why was he passed over twice by essentially every team and the 13th receiver taken? 

I'm not bashing the player at all, and I love that we got him. But we have to take that into account when reading every single "pro Mims" article out there. 

Did you know that Terrell Owens was a third round pick?  So was Joe Montana.  How many teams passed on Marino?  Shannon Sharpe was a 7th round pick.  I think you get the point.   Sh*t happens, and when you get a talent like Mims staring you in the face at 59, you don't say to yourself "Gee I wonder why everyone else passed over him; why come 13 receivers went before him... blah blah",  You say "**** YEAH BITCHES!!!", then compose yourself, and send in the pick.   You trust your scouting reports and background checks on a player and not worry about what everyone else does.   That is how you find the steals and sleepers in any draft.   (Again, assuming your scouting staff knows what the hell it's doing.   In the case of JD and co., it appears the answer would be yes.)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

Did you know that Terrell Owens was a third round pick?  So was Joe Montana.  How many teams passed on Marino?  Shannon Sharpe was a 7th round pick.  I think you get the point.   Sh*t happens, and when you get a talent like Mims staring you in the face at 59, you don't say to yourself "Gee I wonder why everyone else passed over him; why come 13 receivers went before him... blah blah",  You say "**** YEAH BITCHES!!!", then compose yourself, and send in the pick.   You trust your scouting reports and background checks on a player and not worry about what everyone else does.   That is how you find the steals and sleepers in any draft.   (Again, assuming your scouting staff knows what the hell it's doing.   In the case of JD and co., it appears the answer would be yes.)

....ok? And? That doesnt remotely address what I said. 

It is ridiculously easy to selectively pick HOFs draft positions in hindsight and smile and say..  "see? It happens", comparatively more often than not guys drop for whatever reason and end up out of the league and it's not remotely close. 

So, again, it's a fair question to ask. Why? What's more reasonable to wonder? 

A ) JD is a hidden genius and lucked out?

B ) 31 other GMs felt Mims wasnt worth picking in the first 2 rounds for some reason or another? 

I want him to succeed, but to think he fell to us solely due to luck and JD being a savant is a simpleton view of the situation. I highly doubt someone that talented falls to almost the 3rd round for no reason. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

This has nothing to do with the fact that JD was perfectly willing to let Mims go elsewhere. Fact. He didn't see it as a risk at all.  He had a group of similarly ranked players from a variety of positions, including Mims, that he was pretty darned sure at least one of them would be there.  We will never know if Mims was #1 on that list.  Nor will we know the names of the others on the list and which of them were taken between 48 and 59.  

That's kind of what I have been saying, it wasn't luck. He looked at the available WRs, looked at teams need and weighed the risk between grab a 3rd rounder and grabbing the pick they wanted at 48. They might have wanted Claypool or VJ, as you wrote we will never know. But this trade allowed this team to get another OT and a back up QB and still acquire a WR, that's a pretty good move.

43 minutes ago, Claymation said:

That's kind of what I have been saying, it wasn't luck. He looked at the available WRs, looked at teams need and weighed the risk between grab a 3rd rounder and grabbing the pick they wanted at 48. They might have wanted Claypool or VJ, as you wrote we will never know. But this trade allowed this team to get another OT and a back up QB and still acquire a WR, that's a pretty good move.

It was better than pretty good.  The entire draft and free agency has gone very well and I don't think we are done yet.  I have high hopes for those UDFA WR's because I wanted more than one in the draft.

On 4/29/2020 at 6:00 PM, JetsLife said:

New York Jets

Steal: Denzel Mims was described to me as the most complete package at the receiver position. If he develops into a starter, this will be one of the finest selections by the Jets in a long, long time.

Who wrote the initial quote?  @JetsLife was that you or did you quote this from somebody else?  All we need out of a 2nd round pick is to become a starter and it will be one of our finest selections in a long, long time?  Is the bar for a 2nd round pick truly that low? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JTJet said:

....ok? And? That doesnt remotely address what I said. 

It is ridiculously easy to selectively pick HOFs draft positions in hindsight and smile and say..  "see? It happens", comparatively more often than not guys drop for whatever reason and end up out of the league and it's not remotely close. 

So, again, it's a fair question to ask. Why? What's more reasonable to wonder? 

A ) JD is a hidden genius and lucked out?

B ) 31 other GMs felt Mims wasnt worth picking in the first 2 rounds for some reason or another? 

I want him to succeed, but to think he fell to us solely due to luck and JD being a savant is a simpleton view of the situation. I highly doubt someone that talented falls to almost the 3rd round for no reason. 

Apparently you don't get it. I just shared with you how many times teams miss out on top talent. I used examples that you would recognize but it happens EVERY YEAR.   If you want to waste your time wondering why he fell to 59, knock yourself out.  Drafting is NOT AN EXACT SCIENCE and It is not like he fell to the 4th round or something.   Many teams had him as a second round prospect up until the combine where he absolutely crushed it.  Afterwards the assumption was he would go mid to late first or early second.  He wound up dropping to late second.... oh well.   

It is called overthinking a situation and truly a waste of mental energy.  Every single draft expert worth anything has nothing but good things to say about Mims as a prospect, as a person and his upside is through the roof.   Does he have flaws?  Of course, What prospect doesn't?   While you sit around over analyzing this, the rest of us will just celebrate our good fortune and keep it moving.  

• Upvote 1