Tony Pauline on Mims

51 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

New York Jets

Steal: Denzel Mims was described to me as the most complete package at the receiver position. If he develops into a starter, this will be one of the finest selections by the Jets in a long, long time.

this guy has to be good.

we need to like will it in to happening.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Tooooooooon was way better than Key.

I liked Keyshawn, he was tough, but he wasn't explosive like Tooooooooon !!!

I agree.  Toon was a before his time.  6'4 and ran like a deer, tough as nails.  Too bad O'Brien throw so many hospital balls and ended his career prematurely.    

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

41 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Can never just be happy can you?

Don;t be utterly stupid.  If you look at my reaction I was elated we got mims when we did but it is like heaping praise on mccagnan for trading up to #3 and getting lucky to get darnold.

We traded down when he was on the board 2 WRs were taken between the time we traded down and when we got mims.

Douglas was lucky on this one.

The day the Jets have a perfect draft is the day i will heap praise on them for a whole draft.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Because Joe Douglas is a ******* genius?

Much like mcgagnan was a genius for getting darnold by trade up to #3 even though he could have been stuck with any of about 4 QBs.

Hey i said this very thing at the time, Douglas is a genius but he would have been a gnius with two or three other Wrs he could have had at that point in the draft.

• Upvote 1

It HAS to be brought up for the sake of debate. 

If Mims is as good as suggested, why was he passed over twice by essentially every team and the 13th receiver taken? 

I'm not bashing the player at all, and I love that we got him. But we have to take that into account when reading every single "pro Mims" article out there. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

If Mims is as good as suggested, why was he passed over twice by essentially every team and the 13th receiver taken? 

I'm not bashing the player at all, and I love that we got him. But we have to take that into account when reading every single "pro Mims" article out there. 

I agree, but at the same time, players that turned out good did drop in the draft for seemingly unknown or vague reasons.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

I agree, but at the same time, players that turned out good did drop in the draft for seemingly unknown or vague reasons.

For sure. I guess the angle I'm more curious about is why the other teams all passed on him twice instead of us being so lucky we got him. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Why did the jets trade down instead of picking him in the 2nd round.

That's actually a very fair question. 

They probably liked guys like Jefferson/Claypool/Mims equally and figured 1 would drop. 

They could have also liked a bunch of the later round guys and would have taken 2 in the later rounds if Mims hadn't fallen to them.

Douglas appears to be a guy that plays the draft like a game of chess as opposed to mac who played it like checkers (whoever is the best rated player that falls into your lap, you take.)

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, JTJet said:

It happens all of the time. Why did Antonio Brown go in the fifth?......Why did Michael Thomas make it into the second? I could do these why was someone drafted later then they were supposed to all day. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

I think Douglas thought Van Jefferson would be there as he was projected to be a third round pick. Douglas figured the downgrade from Mims to Jefferson was worth an extra pick. Was surprised when he got Mims regardless.

This would also explain his love for Florida Players...

Just now, RobR said:

It happens all of the time. Why did Antonio Brown go in the fifth?......Why did Michael Thomas make it into the second? I could do these why was someone drafted later then they were supposed to all day. 

I could be wrong, so forgive me here, but neither of them were projected 1st rounders from what I remember. There is a bit of difference in this argument. 

I'm really fascinated with how a majority of fans seem to dismiss any alternative theories as to why we ended up with him, other than JD is a genius. 

@Beerfish mentioned it earlier, during the trade down, he got lucky Mims didnt get taken, and we dont even really know if Mims was the actual target there. 

7 minutes ago, JTJet said:

For sure. I guess the angle I'm more curious about is why the other teams all passed on him twice instead of us being so lucky we got him. 

Sometimes the board just falls that way. I think its more because of the depth at the position.

Just now, JTJet said:

I could be wrong, so forgive me here, but neither of them were projected 1st rounders from what I remember. There is a bit of difference in this argument. 

I'm really fascinated with how a majority of fans seem to dismiss any alternative theories as to why we ended up with him, other than JD is a genius. 

@Beerfish mentioned it earlier, during the trade down, he got lucky Mims didnt get taken, and we dont even really know if Mims was the actual target there. 

He was considered a late first-second round pick. He went in the middle of the second round. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

• Upvote 2