Would you trade..

10 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Also got us Hackenberg, Alex Van Dyke, Stephen Hill, Jace Amaro. I'm going to go on a limb and assume my list is longer than yours. 

We could be fans of any team in the NFL and my list will always be longer than yours.

The mistakes made in the draft don't significantly reduce the value of the picks themselves.  

And its not like the hit rate for "established veterans" is all that great when factoring in the cost to get them.  People get let go or traded away by teams for a reason. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The mistakes made in the draft don't significantly reduce the value of the picks themselves.  

And its not like the hit rate for "established veterans" is all that great when factoring in the cost to get them.  People get let go or traded away by teams for a reason.

Except many of them aren't mistakes, they're the crapshoot that is the draft.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And its not like the hit rate for "established veterans" is all that great when factoring in the cost to get them.  People get let go or traded away by teams for a reason.  Giving up significant draft capital and/or spending well above market value for players other teams dump is almost never a successful strategy.  

Still, your feelings about this particular player depends on subjective interpretation.

14 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Still, your feelings about this particular player depends on subjective interpretation.

So does your feelings about going after veterans thru free agency and trades.  You're overestimating the success rate on that.  

There's an awful lot of failures littered thru NFL free agency and trades:

• Brock Osweiler
  • Sam Bradford
  • Nick Foles (Jaguars)
  • Kevin Kolb
  • Matt Flynn
  • Tim Tebow
  • Khalil Mack
  • Ndamukong Suh
  • Albert Haynesworth
  • Antonio Brown
  • Chad Johnson (Ochocinco)
  • Percy Harvin
  • Trent Richardson
  • DeMarco Murray
  • Chris Johnson
  • Darrelle Revis (2x - Bucs, second stint with Jets)
  • Trumaine Johnson
  • Jalen Ramsey
  • Greg Hardy
  • Kenny Britt
  • Lee Evans
  • Chris Chambers
  • Nnamdi Asomugha
  • Byron Maxwell
  • Martellus Bennett
  • Jamon Brown
  • Brandon Browner
  • Logan Mankins
  • Antonio Bryant
  • Spencer Long
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Except many of them aren't mistakes, they're the crapshoot that is the draft.

I view the draft to be more like poker rather than craps.  The success rate is low, yes, but the best GM's make their own luck.  Otherwise Ozzie Newsome wouldn't have been such a successful GM over a two decade period.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I view the draft to be more like poker rather than craps.  The success rate is low, yes, but the best GM's make their own luck.  Otherwise Ozzie Newsome wouldn't have been such a successful GM over a two decade period.  

You can view it anyway you want but the numbers say otherwise. 

Even for a GM as successful as Ozzie

Also got us Hackenberg, Alex Van Dyke, Stephen Hill, Jace Amaro. I'm going to go on a limb and assume my list is longer than yours. 

We could be fans of any team in the NFL and my list will always be longer than yours.

If the choice were just JuJu vs. door number 2, I would agree.  It's not.  You are giving up the picks for 1 year of JuJu.  I much prefer the draft choice, plus free agent signing.  

Even the Steelers, if you look at their last 30 2nd rounders have been half hits half misses, at a glance. There have been great players and there have been stinkers. 

right. I'm not really disagreeing with that end of it.  how many FA's work out?  It's all wrapped in potential failure. That doesn't remove the value of draft picks.  Thats really my only point. I love draft picks. Not more than stud players but I'd rather keep the pick than give it up for most players about to get paid the big bucks.  I'm really hoping we flip that mentality on it's head and become the team letting guys go when they want to get paid and receiving the comps.  In that regard draft picks would be of more value. If JD can actually draft well we have that potential. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

So you want to trade a first round pick plus more for a guy whose stats nose dived after Antonio Brown left?

I believe my proposal was a 2nd and 5th and he played with Duck Hodges and ‘Mason Rudolph... I’ll be more than happy to chalk it up as a poor season for any WR on the Steelers last year.

The gm can help themselves by having a good scouting department in place and drafting guys who have good work ethics but the reality is the success of a gm falls back onto his staff. If you have coaches who are not able to keep these kids motivated and to push them in the right ways the likely hood of the gm looking successful is not high.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

I didn’t read the whole thread but someone had to of said trade them Adams straight up or yes then trade Adams to get the picks back or something along those lines. 

As far as Ju goes, yes get him.  This team need better everything. Outside of Adams and Mosley (and maybe the punter if he’s as good in the pros as he was in college) everyone on the current team is average at best.

Yes including Bell, he needs to prove he can still play at a high level. He sucked last year. I know the oline was awful and Gase called a lot of dumb running plays and never used a FB etc but Bell ran like he didn’t care half the time. 

On 4/30/2020 at 4:35 AM, Patriot Killa said:

our 2021 2nd round pick and 5th round pick for JuJu Smith-Schuster?

Yes, but Pitt would want more and Jets are hopefully a yr away from needing a final piece #1 WR. 

Also, what players have left Pitt and been successful?  Faneca and Sanders?  The list of flops is much longer.  Santonio, Plexico, AB, Wallace, O' Donnell, etc.