***The Soccer (The Real Football) Thread***

On 1/6/2023 at 11:50 PM, BP said:

What do you guys think of the berhalter Reyna drama? They can’t bring him back after he ran gio under the bus after the World Cup 

Farcical. And it's not really a good look for a grown man to run home going "Mommy, mommy, the bad man won't play me in the World Cup! Do something!"

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After the men's World Cup last year and Ted Lasso had me thinking that my opinion of soccer being incredibly boring was somewhat off base and provincial, along comes the women's World Cup to reinforce that the sport is about as exciting as watching grass grow.  The USWNFT plays three games totaling 300 minutes of play with exactly two goals scored - one for and one against.  And the last 210 minutes saw not a single solitary goal.  Yawwwwnnnn.  

• Thumb Down 1

On 8/6/2023 at 4:00 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

After the men's World Cup last year and Ted Lasso had me thinking that my opinion of soccer being incredibly boring was somewhat off base and provincial, along comes the women's World Cup to reinforce that the sport is about as exciting as watching grass grow.  The USWNFT plays three games totaling 300 minutes of play with exactly two goals scored - one for and one against.  And the last 210 minutes saw not a single solitary goal.  Yawwwwnnnn.  

Meh.

That is like judging the NFL on the Patriots' offense.  It was just bad football.

Politics aside, it got nothing out of its stars.  Bill Simmons went on an epic rant about Alex Morgan.  He said, outside of a 5-goal game against Thailand, she has like two goals in the last 12 years.  Rappinoe did nothing.  The team got old.  Relying on the legs of older players to get a threepeat was a mistake.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2023 at 11:00 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Is Ted Lasso the show where the guy from

SNL with a ridiculous fake mustache and fake southern accent talks to a bunch of naked British guys in a locker room?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Possibly one for the main board, I'd say. Back in August, Tom Brady bought into Birmingham City, and became chairman of the advisory board.

Then in October, he sacks the popular manager because he didn't share in Brady's "winning mentality and a culture of ambition". Never mind the fact the team are sixth in the table, and strong contenders for promotion to the Premier League. Who's his replacement? Wayne. Rooney. Failed at Derby, failed at DC United. Spiral ensues before Rooney gets the chop.

And today, they got relegated to the third tier. 😄

So next season, instead of rubbing shoulders with the likes of the Manchester clubs, Arsenal, Chelsea, etc, Brady can now experience the joys of visiting the likes of Exeter, Burton and Mansfield (and possibly Milton Keynes if things go horribly wrong in the League two playoffs).

Though he'll at least get tv time when they play Wrexham.

• 1 month later...

Same old England.  All the talent in the world, maybe even more this time around and yet we are once again playing cowardly and not to lose.  It all comes from Southgate and it is pretty sad.

Either Palmer or Gordon (or maybe both) need to be in the starting 11 but Southgate will trot out the same team all over again because that is tattooed into his chromosomes.

Slovakia are another team we "should" beat and so he will steer a conservative course in the hope that maybe we get a penalty or something somewhere along the way.  I can see this one going to a penalty crapshoot because that also is the kind of thing England have historically done.

effing prevent defenses

On 6/28/2024 at 12:10 PM, EM31 said:

Same old England.  All the talent in the world, maybe even more this time around and yet we are once again playing cowardly and not to lose.  It all comes from Southgate and it is pretty sad.

Either Palmer or Gordon (or maybe both) need to be in the starting 11 but Southgate will trot out the same team all over again because that is tattooed into his chromosomes.

Slovakia are another team we "should" beat and so he will steer a conservative course in the hope that maybe we get a penalty or something somewhere along the way.  I can see this one going to a penalty crapshoot because that also is the kind of thing England have historically done.

effing prevent defenses

Yeah so the win over Slovakia was never in serious doubt.  I don't know how I was even concerned.  The Swiss next and a very favorable side of the knockout draw avoiding Spain, France, Germany and yes even Portugal who have been looking bad so far.

Switzerland look better than their world ranking and TBH England look worse than theirs.  Should make for a close game.